• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Tarazet

JudgeN said:
I'm disappointed in GAF with this one. I beat the game and I honestly don't think the 9's this game is getting it deserves. Game has alot of problems, besides the obvious technical problems. The level design is horrible with its endless hallways and I expected alot deeper combat but all I got was Dynasty Warrior nonsense of throwing a bunch of enemies at you while you press (A) a shit ton of times just doesn't cut it. Most of the boss battles all felt the same except for Rank 3, that one really wasn't a fight. I'm sure ill be called a troll but this game isn't as good as GAF makes it out to be. I think the IGN review said it best, its "Style over substance". Except I didn't think it has much style, PAL people beware of the hype its a decent game just not 9/10 that some reviewers seem to be giving it. Sorry if i killed the hype train but I feel like I wasted my $50 ugh, damn it GAF.

I feel the same way. I'm taking it back to the store.. from the way it got hyped, I thought it would be better than Killer 7, which I enjoyed. It's much worse. The framerate alone is inexcusable.

Baryn

Banned
sonarrat said:
I feel the same way. I'm taking it back to the store.. from the way it got hyped, I thought it would be better than Killer 7, which I enjoyed. It's much worse. The framerate alone is inexcusable.
I was playing this game in front of my friends yesterday, they instantly fell in love.

Last time I played Killer 7 with people over, they fell asleep. Killer 7 is a finer effort on some levels, but NMH is the better game.

Also, what's with no fucking in the ending?!!? -_-**

zoukka

Also, what's with no fucking in the ending?!!? -_-**

I'm coming for you dude :mad:

knife.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Ok, I just beat the game.

Holy shit.

Seriously, this game was amazing. Yeah, it had some rough spots (world traveling, levels are too short), but there were some really fantastic moments and the gameplay, for the first time in a Suda game, didn't suck! The story was also great, and the humor was great.

And the characters! Each boss had his or her own personality, and every battle was different. Some of the matches were unbelievable epic, and a few of the assassins were incredibly sympathetic. I can't believe how much those fights rocked.

Definitely a 9/10 for this game, because despite a few flaws, it's really amazing.

Oh, and on Wikipedia, it gives the full names for some of the assassins. Where did they get those?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm getting my ass kicked by that girl in the school. And it's just such a tedious battle, takes forever to get her life down and then she always manages to kill me :(

Saitou

Banned
Ok, this is driving me crazy.

I'm missing three Lovikov balls. They don't appear on the map. I even got a map from IGN with all their locations, and they're all not there.

Is my game borked, or am I just blind?

Vinnk

Tenbatsu said:
Vinnk did you get Winning Eleven Playmaker?

No not yet. I didn't get either of the No More Heroes OSTs either. Just too busy. My wedding is in like 2 and a half weeks and it is taking all my time and money.

I'll get it though. It looks really fun. As for the NMH soundtracks, I think I will order them today (now that they are both out).

Sagitario

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm getting my ass kicked by that girl in the school. And it's just such a tedious battle, takes forever to get her life down and then she always manages to kill me :(

Welcome to the club, hardest boss in the whole game... :lol

Saitou said:
Ok, this is driving me crazy.

I'm missing three Lovikov balls. They don't appear on the map. I even got a map from IGN with all their locations, and they're all not there.

Is my game borked, or am I just blind?

They do appear on the map, but the yellow points are probably under some map signs (like the blue M of the free missions)... I spent like 1 hour trying to find the last one, and it was near a free mission, so the mission icon was over the ball one, and I obviously couldn't see it...
Another tip, every time you're near a ball, there is specific sound playing [like a radar thing or like in Metroid Prime]...

Farore said:
I'll try it on my next replay... thanks for the tip...

I just realized: my strength stat was not fully maximized and I did all the training... is this normal or did I miss something?

And I missed a bunch of mask cards... :(

Edit:

Slow day, I guess...

What extra things are there for a replay on a harder difficulty?

Anyone?

Saitou

Banned
Farore said:
They do appear on the map, but the yellow points are probably under some map signs (like the blue M of the free missions)... I spent like 1 hour trying to find the last one, and it was near a free mission, so the mission icon was over the ball one, and I obviously couldn't see it...
Another tip, every time you're near a ball, there is specific sound playing [like a radar thing or like in Metroid Prime]...

I didn't clarify myself fully.

They do not appear on the map. I searched and obtained every single sunken treasure and card, and every ball on the map. If you take a mission or hit, the only symbol on the map will be of that mission. They still do not appear. I am left a hollow carcass of a man who once was.

Sagitario

Well, if you take a mission, all the other symbols on the map disappear [maybe the ball's too?]...

For some of the balls, you have to really pay attention to the sound and be almost exactly next to them, because they suddenly appear out of nowhere [yes, like pop-up graphics]...

The one I had trouble finding was near the Job Center, behind the free mission building next to it...

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You know, I haven't even been following internationally...

This is out in Europe yet? How has it been charting? (if at all)

Dascu

John Harker said:
You know, I haven't even been following internationally...

This is out in Europe yet? How has it been charting? (if at all)

It's officially only releasing tomorrow. I'm sure some shops have it in stock already though. I'm still stuck here my USA copy but no Freeloader. =(

PS: Did anyone actually see some ads for it? Rising Star said they were going to market this game a lot. I haven't noticed anything at all.

Threi

notag
i didn't even bother to get the last couple of lovikov balls :lol

the only skill i was missing was the "extend dark side" one and i didn't need it so i left it alone :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
i just realized something,
Henry and Sylvia being married for 10 years
makes no fucking sense. i was looking through the second run character cards, and if
Henry really is Travis's twin brother, that would make him 27. if he was in college at 17, okay, i can get that, it would explain his lack of presence when Jean wacked the parents.
but if Sylvia is only 24, that would make her 14. that right there is just nonsensical, and definitely odd.

TheWolf said:
lol Suda got a special thanks in Brawl's credits?
Yah, I remember seeing that at the end of SSE. Then it made me sad that Travis Touchdown would have been awesome sauce in Brawl.

"Here comes a new challenger, fuck head!" :lol

JDSN

Banned
Yuroland better not let us and Suda down, especially after the son of a bitch decided to go on a hand kissing tour over there instead of here. 130K First month or GTFO.

doomed1 said:
i just realized something,
Henry and Sylvia being married for 10 years
makes no fucking sense. i was looking through the second run character cards, and if
Henry really is Travis's twin brother, that would make him 27. if he was in college at 17, okay, i can get that, it would explain his lack of presence when Jean wacked the parents.
but if Sylvia is only 24, that would make her 14. that right there is just nonsensical, and definitely odd.

Someone already pointed that out, and yes, it is still fucking creepy. :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
donkey show said:
Yah, I remember seeing that at the end of SSE. Then it made me sad that Travis Touchdown would have been awesome sauce in Brawl.

"Here comes a new challenger, fuck head!" :lol
seriously, if Travis was in Brawl i would have creamed my pants a billion times over. i have my fingers crossed that he'll show up at least as an assist trophy in SSB4.

I played for a few hours last night...

Whats all this moaning about Shinobu being a difficult boss? I found the first boss more difficult than her.

She's like a classic Punchout! boss. Once you recognize a boss's 'tell' for their attack, you dodge, attack and then try and do a wrestling move on them.

kizmah

PS: Did anyone actually see some ads for it? Rising Star said they were going to market this game a lot. I haven't noticed anything at all.

There is a full page add on a back of a gaming mag (Gamereactor) in Sweden. Sure it's a gaming mag but this is a hardcore game and it should be advertised to gamers. I have seen a banner or two on some swedish gaming sites as well.

Anyhow, I got the game two days ago and after 3 hours with it I'm pretty much blown away. Sure it's not the prettiest thing ever but it sure as hell is fun...and funny.

hamzik said:

I've not seen any print or TV ads in the UK, but it's had a major push in Woolworths, a big UK chain with it taking top spot in the in-store charts and whole shelves full of the game - the kind of push usually associated with something like FIFA.

zoukka

Finally started the US-version with my precious Freeloader. Killed Shinobu and here's the pro's and con's so far.

Although technically laughable, the graphical style makes up for it. I have no idea why a game this shitty-looking has slow-downs, but their not a pain really. Ranking fights should've been 60fps though, that's pretty unforgivable.

My biggest problems with the game were surprising. I did not mind the mini-games, empty city or the repetitive fighting. It's the story that's been a disapppointment at least for now. Travis really is annoying. Based on trailers etc, I was expecting Onizuka-ish nerd with funny agendas, but I got this weird dude who has all the hobbies of an otaku, but does not act anything like it. The way he speaks to people is annoying and the voice-actor isn't too good. Same can be said about Sylvia who's "accent" sounds pretty terrible.

It will probably get better as I advance, but for now Killer 7 seems like 10x better game. Dr Peace was the highlight so far. I fucking wanted to strangle the Shinobi bitch... she wasn't too hard (died twice), but boy was she stupid.

And I really can't see any reason why blood had been removed from PAL/JAP versions. I mean wtf cleaners cleaning bloodless floors??

(Do the new light-sabers appear even if I don't buy them all?)

Alts

zoukka said:
Finally started the US-version with my precious Freeloader. Killed Shinobu and here's the pro's and con's so far.

Although technically laughable, the graphical style makes up for it. I have no idea why a game this shitty-looking has slow-downs, but their not a pain really. Ranking fights should've been 60fps though, that's pretty unforgivable.

My biggest problems with the game were surprising. I did not mind the mini-games, empty city or the repetitive fighting. It's the story that's been a disapppointment at least for now. Travis really is annoying. Based on trailers etc, I was expecting Onizuka-ish nerd with funny agendas, but I got this weird dude who has all the hobbies of an otaku, but does not act anything like it. The way he speaks to people is annoying and the voice-actor isn't too good. Same can be said about Sylvia who's "accent" sounds pretty terrible.

It will probably get better as I advance, but for now Killer 7 seems like 10x better game. Dr Peace was the highlight so far. I fucking wanted to strangle the Shinobi bitch... she wasn't too hard (died twice), but boy was she stupid.

And I really can't see any reason why blood had been removed from PAL/JAP versions. I mean wtf cleaners cleaning bloodless floors??

(Do the new light-sabers appear even if I don't buy them all?)

Had you bought the PAL version, the framerate would have actually been better.
The slowdown isn't the result of the Wii not being able to handle graphics, it is simply because it is poorly optimized/sloppily coded.

Alts said:
The slowdown isn't the result of the Wii not being able to handle graphics, it is simply because it is poorly optimized/sloppily coded.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problems with framerate everyone seems to be complaining about. The slowdown and pauses in battle are obviously stylistic choices, and apart from the occasional hitch/skip in the overworld I don't really have any complaints about framerate.

The game could have looked far more polished (while still retaining the same distinctive style) in the hands of a more technically-accomplished team, but its art easily makes up for the shortcomings of Grasshopper's engine.

zoukka

Alts said:

Well I obviously new that :rollerskates:

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
zoukka said:
Based on trailers etc, I was expecting Onizuka-ish nerd with funny agendas, but I got this weird dude who has all the hobbies of an otaku, but does not act anything like it.
I've been thinking this, too. He has an apartment full of anime stuff, he collects pro wrestling trading cards, and he bought a beam sword off of the internet for god's sake, but he doesn't actually act like a nerdy otaku. He actually talks like just a hardcore bad ass in most of the cut scenes. Seems almost like the otaku stuff was just there to pull people in to the off the wall main character, but once the game starts it's just background noise.

Still loving the game, though I haven't played it in a while. Think I was only rank 5 or 6 when I stopped, so I really need to catch up, but I got Earth Defense Force last Friday and that game is EXCELLENT.

John Harker

Monroeski said:
I've been thinking this, too. He has an apartment full of anime stuff, he collects pro wrestling trading cards, and he bought a beam sword off of the internet for god's sake, but he doesn't actually act like a nerdy otaku. He actually talks like just a hardcore bad ass in most of the cut scenes. Seems almost like the otaku stuff was just there to pull people in to the off the wall main character, but once the game starts it's just background noise.

Still loving the game, though I haven't played it in a while. Think I was only rank 5 or 6 when I stopped, so I really need to catch up, but I got Earth Defense Force last Friday and that game is EXCELLENT.

Actually, he's the ultimate "nerd." He's so entranced by this fantasy world, that he's convinced himself its his reality.

John Harker said:
Actually, he's the ultimate "nerd." He's so entranced by this fantasy world, that he's convinced himself its his reality.

That's totally the way I viewed it. He can't differentiate between the two.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
doomed1 said:
seriously, if Travis was in Brawl i would have creamed my pants a billion times over. i have my fingers crossed that he'll show up at least as an assist trophy in SSB4.
A mix of his sword and wrestling moves for his normal attacks, special attacks and grabs, maybe he could have the long range lightning ball he has in one of his jackpot specials or even the Schpeltiger. A Dark Travis Final smash... I even have his taunts mapped (down taunt would make he stick the sword in the ground like he does on the world map, etc).

Ugh, why did you make me think of that, now I can't get the awesomeness that would be Travis in Brawl out of my head.

zoukka

Destroyman's dead. Liking the game, but it sure isn't a masterpiece so far. Assasination missions are pretty boring as are the levels and it's just stupid that when you fail a mission, you have to drive all the way back to K-entertainment.

My friend had a lot fun watching me play the game. He didn't mind the tehcnical crappiness and just laughed all the time when I decapitated thugs and had a phone message from Beef Head Videos about German Juggs or something like that :lol

I hate Sylvia and her accent >:0

John Harker

4th on the Wii charts?

Well, I don't know how that translates to the big picture, but what DOES disappoint me EUROPE.... is this thread got over 2000 posts on the NA release alone.

You guys are pretty populous over there, no?
This thread should be approaching over 9000!!!!!!!!!!

randomwab

Bought it last Friday, played non-stop and completed it Saturday afternoon. Took me about 12 hours. So so so awesome. Kinda still playing, I spent about an hour or so on Sunday just running around picking up every Lovikov ball and money hole/trading card around Santa Destroy. Looking forward to more from Suda, I hope it'll be No More Heroes 2.

fresquito

I'm on the side of people not feeling it. Sure, the style is very good, but so far the substance has been lacking at best.

I love Killer7 and I think it's because that game, although without many gameplay substance, had this scheme where gameplay didn't get in the way. No More Heroes has a mediocre at best gameplay that gets in the way of a story that is nothing to write home about (unlike Killer7, that was an astonishing allegory).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just started playing this. there's nothing punk rock about videogames. but this is a punk rock videogame. the band can't play their instruments and their taste is appalling -- they make an awful racket. yet there's something exhilarating about its very crudity, and it feels like a necessary corrective to the overproduced self-importance that fills the charts. except for its total ineptitude, this is an awesome game. it reminds me of the crackbrained experimentation of the early 32-bit days -- and not just because it looks like a direputable ps1 game. i don't want to play a game whose camera and framerate make me physically ill. i have to play a game that pulls a galaga scoring table out of nowhere to announce that i'm a step closer to becoming the world's #1 assassin -- maybe sylvia kristel will do me. she's called sylvia kristel! suda51 sat around beating off to late night cable tv and felt like he needed to put that in his videogame!

Top Bottom