• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

SantaC

drohne said:
just started playing this. there's nothing punk rock about videogames. but this is a punk rock videogame. the band can't play their instruments and their taste is appalling -- they make an awful racket. yet there's something exhilarating about its very crudity, and it feels like a necessary corrective to the overproduced self-importance that fills the charts. except for its total ineptitude, this is an awesome game. it reminds me of the crackbrained experimentation of the early 32-bit days -- and not just because it looks like a direputable ps1 game. i don't want to play a game whose camera and framerate make me physically ill. i have to play a game that pulls a galaga scoring table out of nowhere to announce that i'm a step closer to becoming the world's #1 assassin -- maybe sylvia kristel will do me. she's called sylvia kristel! suda51 sat around beating off to late night cable tv and felt like he needed to put that in his videogame!

so basically you like it and reminds you of the good old video game days.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm really not sure whether i like it or not -- and i'm not sure i'll stick with it long enough to find out. but it's definitely interesting. i can't remember the last game i wrote more than a couple lines about on gaf

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i secretly also want to try subspace emissary -- smash may not have a fighting game's requisite sophistication, but it just might do as an action game. don't tell anybody though

AniHawk

SSE was painfully boring. Even with co-op it was awful. But if I didn't like it, that might mean you will. So I guess there's that.

ezekial45

Banned
AniHawk said:
SSE was painfully boring. Even with co-op it was awful. But if I didn't like it, that might mean you will. So I guess there's that.

Wrong thread?

EDIT: Sorry, you were responding to the post above.

mugwhump

Can't find any copies in Canada, all sold out. :(

drohne said:
just started playing this. there's nothing punk rock about videogames. but this is a punk rock videogame. the band can't play their instruments and their taste is appalling -- they make an awful racket. yet there's something exhilarating about its very crudity, and it feels like a necessary corrective to the overproduced self-importance that fills the charts. except for its total ineptitude, this is an awesome game. it reminds me of the crackbrained experimentation of the early 32-bit days -- and not just because it looks like a direputable ps1 game. i don't want to play a game whose camera and framerate make me physically ill. i have to play a game that pulls a galaga scoring table out of nowhere to announce that i'm a step closer to becoming the world's #1 assassin -- maybe sylvia kristel will do me. she's called sylvia kristel! suda51 sat around beating off to late night cable tv and felt like he needed to put that in his videogame!
shiny sworded fuckheads? ¯\(ºдಠ)

Vinnk

I wonder how much of an impact the freeloader will have on NMH sales.
European buyers? Which version are you getting (or have already gotten)?

But more on topic I am interested to see if the "dust death" version has a better framerate than the bloody one. The Japanese version has issues I wonder if any effort went into improving the Rising Star releases or if it is only a translation.

zoukka

fresquito said:
I'm on the side of people not feeling it. Sure, the style is very good, but so far the substance has been lacking at best.

I love Killer7 and I think it's because that game, although without many gameplay substance, had this scheme where gameplay didn't get in the way. No More Heroes has a mediocre at best gameplay that gets in the way of a story that is nothing to write home about (unlike Killer7, that was an astonishing allegory).

My thoughts excatly. Santa Destroys existence has no justification. They should've at least put something interesting here and there instead of you running around and collecting kool T-shirts and balls.

I'm definately going to finish it (it was a pain to order it and get the fucking freeloader to boot), but Suda needs to polish things up for his next title. In the beginning I just laughed about the horrible technical side and I understand that the minigames and the overworld are just Sudas way of fucking with us, but the more you play the game, the more you start to hate these decisions.

There haven't been many memorable songs either :(

Mdk7

I know i'm probably gonna be lynched for this, but this is the first time in years that i completely disagree with GAF so i'll just say it and run...

I got the game (US version + freeloader of course, i simply refused to play the censored PAL version), played it for 4 hours... i'm REALLY disappointed, the game is lacking on so many levels it's not even funny IMHO.
The graphics are so nasty it hurts: poor textures, poor polycount and then the hub... OMFG the hub, it seems like a PSX game running on a fucking NES.
If Suda's name wasn't involved in this NMH would be laughed at and named as the typical shovelware Wii crap.
Killer7 was a complete different story, and the art direction was much more stylish/charming there.
The gameplay is shallow and weak: overall the game's really repetitive, akwardly designed (you fail a side quest mission and you have to go all the way back to get the job again? COME ON!) and just not that fun to play due to a combat system that i'm not feeling at all... it's just really uneven and NOT deep at all, even the boss fights are pretty lame.
I'm sorry but the game is shit to me, save from the music (that is REALLY good!), the cutscenes and the bloodbath (those give it a cool attitude, so again censored PAL version FTL).

NotWii

Banned
Mdk7 said:
I know i'm probably gonna be lynched for this, but this is the first time in years that i completely disagree with GAF so i'll just say it and run...

I got the game (US version + freeloader of course, i simply refused to play the censored PAL version), played it for 4 hours... i'm REALLY disappointed, the game is lacking on so many levels it's not even funny IMHO.
The graphics are so nasty it hurts: poor textures, poor polycount and then the hub... OMFG the hub, it seems like a PSX game running on a fucking NES.
If Suda's name wasn't involved in this NMH would be laughed at and named as the typical shovelware Wii crap.
Killer7 was a complete different story, and the art direction was much more stylish/charming there.
The gameplay is shallow and weak: overall the game's really repetitive, akwardly designed (you fail a side quest mission and you have to go all the way back to get the job again? COME ON!) and just not that fun to play due to a combat system that i'm not feeling at all... it's just really uneven and NOT deep at all, even the boss fights are pretty lame.
I'm sorry but the game is shit to me, save from the music (that is REALLY good!), the cutscenes and the bloodbath (those give it a cool attitude, so again censored PAL version FTL).
I would have agreed with you til I fought the 3rd boss, then the game kept becoming more and more awesome! :O

STICK WITH IT!

Mdk7

Wii said:
I would have agreed with you til I fought the 3rd boss, then the game kept becoming more and more awesome! :O

STICK WITH IT!
i'll beat it for sure, just to see if Travis reaches the spot! :lol
I'm at the third boss fight too anyway, i turned my Wii off after she beat my ass once.

kottila

zoukka said:
My thoughts excatly. Santa Destroys existence has no justification. They should've at least put something interesting here and there instead of you running around and collecting kool T-shirts and balls.

I'm definately going to finish it (it was a pain to order it and get the fucking freeloader to boot), but Suda needs to polish things up for his next title. In the beginning I just laughed about the horrible technical side and I understand that the minigames and the overworld are just Sudas way of fucking with us, but the more you play the game, the more you start to hate these decisions.

I kinda like the city. I can drive anywhere in about a minute, so that's not a problem (if i fail a mission near the stadium, I drive into the river to be transported to my house). Technical stuff has never bothered me, and teh music is fuck awesome.

zoukka said:

I can agree with this. For what little you do in Santa Destroy, it could have been done by simply linking battle/shop locations to the map in Travis’ room rather than building a poorly-realised city and forcing players to navigate it on a poorly-realised vehicle. Simply click on a location on your map to trigger a “Travis roaring off on his bike” cutscene, then drop the player right into the location. Extras like the Lovikov balls could be earned in battle rather than the overworld.

What? Even leaving aside the various (great) variations of the main theme, what about tracks like Do Not Destroy (the song playing in Travis’ apartment), or Gorgeous Blues (the bike theme)?

zoukka

Well I can't recall any songs from the game. They sound ok while I play, but there really isn't that "songs stick in your head after playing" effect that Killer 7 had.

Mdk7

zoukka said:
Well I can't recall any songs from the game. They sound ok while I play, but there really isn't that "songs stick in your head after playing" effect that Killer 7 had.
Music is really the last thing to complain about in NMH, come on Z.
The serious problems are elsewhere.

zoukka

Mdk7 said:
Music is really the last thing to complain about in NMH, come on Z.
The serious problems are elsewhere.

It's definately not bad, but it just didn't live to the hype. I expected more catchy themes and melodies.

Just beat Holly and it was quite sad though predictable. I waited Travis to
cut her up and was surprised when he softened there.

Alts

zoukka said:
Just beat Holly and it was quite sad though predictable. I waited Travis to
cut her up and was surprised when he softened there.

These two statements are inconsistent with one another.

Mdk7, I feel like if you don't like the game a few boss battles into it, the game isn't going to change your mind much further in. While the actual bosses themselves change, the general formula stays the same throughout, with enough changes to keep things from feeling stale. I loved it right from the start, but unlike most, I actually found some of the later boss fights to be the least interesting.

If you are going to keep going, then cool. Just don't expect much to change.

Mdk7

Alts said:
These two statements are inconsistent with one another.

Mdk7, I feel like if you don't like the game a few boss battles into it, the game isn't going to change your mind much further in. While the actual bosses themselves change, the general formula stays the same throughout, with enough changes to keep things from feeling stale. I loved it right from the start, but unlike most, I actually found some of the later boss fights to be the least interesting.

If you are going to keep going, then cool. Just don't expect much to change.
thanks man, i thought i'd have gotten just insults for my 2 cents! :lol
Anyway i'll stick with it but i'm not expecting it to completely change after that bitch fight... i mean the structure is CLEARLY that, and that's it.

And BTW IMHO boss fights kinda suck, they're far too dependent on the enemy's attack patterns (which are just 2 or 3 too), almost like a shmup.
I think that the standard battles are just more varied and definitely better, even if the enemy are really generic looking and kinda stupid.

Another huge MEH for the level design: poor rooms and corridors with no interaction at all, that's it.

Just finished it...Wow. Such a freaking excellent, WOW-worthy game. Already high expectations = blown away. Also, the ending...Holy shit...That's really all I've got to say.
For now, all I want is take a deserved rest before going back to it as soon as possible. Also, listen to the OST.

Sadist

Finaly, it's here in Holland and I'm one happy guy. (They even included the cool manual in Europe!) :D

Anyway, I'm ranked 10 now.

I love the telephonecall before thet fight with Death Metal. OFF TO THE GARDEN OF MADNESS!!!

Just finished it.

Awesome style. Awesome gameplay. Awesome ending.

Thank god Datel put the freeloader out when they did though, the game would've made *no* sense without the blood.

zoukka

Sucks, that there's no NMH t-shirts to be found on the net. Not even images! So I whipped up my favourite shirt with a partial and poor reference. The text was white in the game though... noticed it afterwards.

Anyone made their own shirts? I'm gonna print this one if I find a good quality store for that.

vivamexicoshirtjr3.jpg

I just started playing NMH today. I've made it to rank 11 and so far I'm really enjoying the style and eneregy of the game. I was wondering though, does NMH have a proper widescreen mode? I have two black bars on the left and right side of the screen. Any way to get rid of that?

Proven

Ninja Kn1ght said:
I just started playing NMH today. I've made it to rank 11 and so far I'm really enjoying the style and eneregy of the game. I was wondering though, does NMH have a proper widescreen mode? I have two black bars on the left and right side of the screen. Any way to get rid of that?

My TV has an auto screen filler so I'm not 100% sure, but all I can say is double check that your Wii is in 480p mode and 16:9 mode. One of my biggest dumbass moments was not realizing that I still needed to switch one of those two modes manually after I got component cables.

I just played through 3 assassinations and I'm thinking about trading it in. I must admit, the game is stylish. But from a technical standpoint, it's a jumbled mess.

What I liked

-Boss battles- It's where all the personality of the game shines through.

-Loading Screens/Cut Scenes- The only game in which I actually enjoyed looking at loading
screens

-Sword Fighting- I wish it were a little deeper but waggling for finishing blows and
high/low stance are a cheap and easy way of using the wiimote
effectively.

-Style- It's the main selling point, by now everyone who knows about the game,
knows its style

What I hated

-Overworld- I don't see why Suda should get a pass here. We all criticize Zelda:
TP for having such a horrible one and yet it's ok for NMH? Poor draw
distances, bland city design, non interactive NPC's. For all the
personality the game exudes in other aspects, it seems odd that it's
absent from the city.

-Driving- Suda really mailed it in on this one. The scheptaltiger (however you
spell it) handles like a piece of crap. It had the potential to be an iconic
vehicle in gaming. The vehicle collision is so poor that it doesn't exist.
And what about fighting on it? It's missed opportunity in my mind.

I really wish NMH had more polish. As it is right now imo, it's just a really excellent rough draft. Great ideas and concepts, but horrible execution.

kizmah

Vinnk said:
European buyers? Which version are you getting (or have already gotten)?

I got the PAL version. I want to support Rising Star and the absence of blood is not bothering me at all. I have to much fun while playing to even think about the lack of blood.

Dascu

So, I finally got this game (US version). Well, me and John have been pretty much hyping up this game from the start. I must say, it's everything I hoped for. I'm shocked at how well this game is delivering. All my hype was vindicated. I love the game. I love everything about it, from the superb action-packed battles, to the crazy dialogue and fantastic characters. I even love the overworld. It's bigger and busier than I expected. Lovikov Balls, Free Fights, hidden treasure underground, it's great.

Suda has earned his rank as my Number 1 game developer.

Gully State said:
-Driving- Suda really mailed it in on this one. The scheptaltiger (however you
spell it) handles like a piece of crap. It had the potential to be an iconic
vehicle in gaming. The vehicle collision is so poor that it doesn't exist.
And what about fighting on it? It's missed opportunity in my mind.
The last couple of levels have some more bike action.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alaluef said:
A mix of his sword and wrestling moves for his normal attacks, special attacks and grabs, maybe he could have the long range lightning ball he has in one of his jackpot specials or even the Schpeltiger. A Dark Travis Final smash... I even have his taunts mapped (down taunt would make he stick the sword in the ground like he does on the world map, etc).

Ugh, why did you make me think of that, now I can't get the awesomeness that would be Travis in Brawl out of my head.
i already have a great moveset for him.
B - charge spin. charge for a low damage but high knockback move. the more the charge the higher the knockback, but the damage remains only 8-10%

B^ - Schpeltiger vault. the Schpeltiger comes out of nowhere and gives Travis a height boost. the giant motorcycle explodes on impact with the ground, so you better bail before that.

B > - Charge dash. charge your blade high over your head and bring it down with a sideways dash. doesn't have any knockback, but can do up to 30% damage on a single hit. with a full charge

Bv - sidestep. execute at the moment of attack, stun your enemy, and slide behind him.

Grabs - grabs would involve 4 different wrestling moves for ^v<>

A neutral. high stance attacks. fast and weak. if you land the 5 hit combo, it'll stun you enemy for a few seconds

A tilt - low stance attacks, stronger, but slower. solid knockback.

Smash > - decapitation finisher. long wind-up, but very powerful when fully charged. quick smash is very weak, but if you can land a fully charged one, it's close to the home run bat.

Smash ^ - jump cut. travis leaps and brings down his blade in an overhand fashion. good range.

Smash v - under cut finisher. Travis winds his blade behind him and brings the blade up in an underhand fashion.

Final Smash - JACKPOT
slot machine pops up at the bottom of the screen and one a number of combinations comes up.
- 3 7s, Anarchy in the Galaxy - huge explosion outward that sends everyone flying.
- 3 Cherries, This is the end - everyone but Travis slows down and you hit for far more damage
- 3 Bells, Blueberry Cheese Brownie - colors desaturate a bit and you can shoot laser balls from your sword with basic A attacks. they send opponents flying.
- 3 Grasshoppers, Strawberry on the shortcake - Travis becomes super fast. simple attacks will do massive damage and send enemies flying in two hits.
- 3 Bars, Cranberry Chocolate Sunday - a circle around Travis goes black and white and everyone including Travis slows down. tripping rate increases for opponents and when they enter the black and white circle, simply pressing an attack button sends them flying.

that's the awesome that would be Travis Touchdown in the event he made it into brawl. fingers crossed for the next SSB

Dascu

Hmm, I've done all the training at Thunder Ryu's (last set was 64,000LBs), bought all the upgrades at Naomi and I'm using the Tsubaki Mk-III, yet, there seems to be room for another block under the Strength stat in the pause menu. Is there some Strength boost I'm forgetting about?

Also, are you people sure the book
"Garcian" had on him said Jupiter? I thought it said Janitor, which would be a logical fit for Garcian, The Cleaner.

PS:
rc3hvp.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Dascu said:
So, I finally got this game (US version). Well, me and John have been pretty much hyping up this game from the start. I must say, it's everything I hoped for. I'm shocked at how well this game is delivering. All my hype was vindicated. I love the game. I love everything about it, from the superb action-packed battles, to the crazy dialogue and fantastic characters. I even love the overworld. It's bigger and busier than I expected. Lovikov Balls, Free Fights, hidden treasure underground, it's great.

woohoo, finally!
Enjoy the ride!

JDSN

Banned
Dascu said:

About fucking time. :D

Fuckhead

Kweh

Just had the Rank 5 "fight". Hilarious :lol

I had to go watch it again on youtube straight after. The guy playing that had a
double saber
, how do I get that?

Top Bottom