• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Proven

ItsInMyVeins said:
What upgrade?

I meant the attack combo extenders you can get from Thunder Ryu's Dojo after every ranked fight. You've noticed how bosses automatically get stunned after enough hits so you never have to risk using Beat attacks.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ah crap! i'm sorta pissed now. i can't go back and beat the game on bitter difficulty on a fresh game, meaning i have to beat the game before i can play through bitter. i've already beaten the crap out of this game, including bitter, but now i want a challenge to go through the whole game fresh on bitter.

Bought the game yesterday.

I love it a tremendous amount. The style throughout the game and hilariously well done cutscenes are amazing. I actually like the overworld, although I wish the map didn't suck as much as it does and all the useful places were closer together (fuck you Suda for putting Area 51 and Job Center so far from everything else). Combat is extremely satisfying, and I find myself actually swinging the remote even without the motion prompts because it just feels right. I sort of wish Travis's dodge was more like the one in Zelda...as it is now it complely takes you out of the action instead of making better opportunities to attack. Also, as said several times in this thread, not being able to retry failed missions is extremely annoying.

I just became rank 7 and can't wait to see what's next. I'm tempted to call this the best game on the Wii after the Big 3 (SMG, Zelda TP, Metroid).

Dascu

The Interrobanger said:
Bought the game yesterday.

I love it a tremendous amount. The style throughout the game and hilariously well done cutscenes are amazing. I actually like the overworld, although I wish the map didn't suck as much as it does and all the useful places were closer together (fuck you Suda for putting Area 51 and Job Center so far from everything else). Combat is extremely satisfying, and I find myself actually swinging the remote even without the motion prompts because it just feels right. I sort of wish Travis's dodge was more like the one in Zelda...as it is now it complely takes you out of the action instead of making better opportunities to attack. Also, as said several times in this thread, not being able to retry failed missions is extremely annoying.

I just became rank 7 and can't wait to see what's next. I'm tempted to call this the best game on the Wii after the Big 3 (SMG, Zelda TP, Metroid).
Double-tap left or right while you're blocking an enemies attack/combo. If done correctly, you'll dodge in slow-motion and the screen will turn dark. The enemy will be wide open to your attacks. This technique is almost crucial for the last few boss battles. It feels like a Parry Attack in Wind Waker.

Dash Kappei said:
Which version?
(Pal/Us/Jap)

NA (I live in Canada)

The blood is absolutely crucial to the game's vibe, I feel bad for those of you who have to settle with ash.

Thanks for the tip Dascu, I've done that before but it seems inconsistent.

Proven

doomed1 said:
ah crap! i'm sorta pissed now. i can't go back and beat the game on bitter difficulty on a fresh game, meaning i have to beat the game before i can play through bitter. i've already beaten the crap out of this game, including bitter, but now i want a challenge to go through the whole game fresh on bitter.

Dude, don't worry.

Load up your file, get out of your house and hit the pause menu.

Head for the Data screen. There you can choose Load Game or New Game.

I'm guessing they couldn't think up a cool way to have a save select/new or load game option at the title screen is the reason they went through this, but whatever.

Now, the only other thing you'll have to worry about is whether or not Bitter difficulty is tied to each specific save file you beat the game once on or if you've unlocked it for whenever and however.

Soule

The Interrobanger said:
NA (I live in Canada)

The blood is absolutely crucial to the game's vibe, I feel bad for those of you who have to settle with ash.

Thanks for the tip Dascu, I've done that before but it seems inconsistent.
Meh I got used to the ash and coin barrage (does US version have the coin barrage?) after a while, the censorship only really bothered me in the cutscenes where I wonder what it'd have looked like uncensored.

Zaptruder

Banned
Game is going by pretty fast.

More enjoyable then I thought it would be, and one of the few games for which I'm glad I own a Wii.

Even so, I'm not sure how much the waggling adds to the experience. Thankfully, we're mercifully spared from any aiming on screen, but there have been times when the inaccurate detection of waggle has annoyed me. For the most part, it's implemented as, could do with, could do without.

Soule said:
Meh I got used to the ash and coin barrage (does US version have the coin barrage?) after a while, the censorship only really bothered me in the cutscenes where I wonder what it'd have looked like uncensored.

YouTube them, they're all there.

There's even a comparison vid that was posted a few months back that clearly shows the differences between the NA, and the gimped versions.

Arde5643

Soule said:
So does anyone know how the sales are world wide? I really hope it's gone well enough to justify a sequel hopefully with a bit more polish.
100k after a month's sales in US - so perhaps it has a chance to go to 200k LTD in US alone.

It ranked 14 in overall charts when it debuted in UK and retailer pre-orders were said to be around 150k.

It did abysmally in JP, although it beat the sales of previous Suda 51 games.

200k is a definite number for this game worldwide, but hopefully with enough mouth-to-mouth sales it can get to at least 400k.

zoukka

Finished it finally and in the end I think I loved it :D

The true ending was epic and kind of moving to me. Although I really wanted to fight
Dark Star :( Jeane coming out of nowhere was weird, but hey the whole game was. The Henry fight was unexpected and really awesome. The final picture of them jumping at each other made me smile in happiness!

Was Travis voiced by Quinton Flynn? I could have swored that Henry and him had the same VA.

I missed one trading card and 6 balls + T-shirts. Almost started on bitter right-away!

Double-tap left or right while you're blocking an enemies attack/combo. If done correctly, you'll dodge in slow-motion and the screen will turn dark. The enemy will be wide open to your attacks. This technique is almost crucial for the last few boss battles. It feels like a Parry Attack in Wind Waker.

That's probably one thing I would have changed in the battle-system. That slo-dodge is too easy to achieve (just tap the analog stick like crazy) and it's too safe. Well it didn't piss me off or anything, but I thought it was bit too overpowered.

Dascu

Flynn said:
Okay, so what's up with Dirk Benedict getting Script Supervisor credit for No More Heroes?
Heh, seems I'm not the only one who noticed. Same name coincidence? It would be kind of cool if it really was Dirk "Face" Benedict, seeing how Dwight "Howling Mad Murdock" Schultz as the voice for Harman Smith in Killer7.

zoukka said:
Finished it finally and in the end I think I loved it :D

The true ending was epic and kind of moving to me. Although I really wanted to fight
Dark Star :( Jeane coming out of nowhere was weird, but hey the whole game was. The Henry fight was unexpected and really awesome. The final picture of them jumping at each other made me smile in happiness!

Was Travis voiced by Quinton Flynn? I could have swored that Henry and him had the same VA.

I missed one trading card and 6 balls + T-shirts. Almost started on bitter right-away!

That's probably one thing I would have changed in the battle-system. That slo-dodge is too easy to achieve (just tap the analog stick like crazy) and it's too safe. Well it didn't piss me off or anything, but I thought it was bit too overpowered.

Travis was voiced by Robin Atkins Downes (I think that's how you spell it) he also provided the delightful voice for the Prince in Warrior Within.

Quinton Flynn did play Henry though.

Dascu

The-Switcher said:
Travis was voiced by Robin Atkins Downes (I think that's how you spell it) he also provided the delightful voice for the Prince in Warrior Within.
Don't forget he voiced Botta in Tales of Symphonia as well.

Morts

What happens if I choose "View Ending" instead of "View Real Ending"? I accidentally saved over my file.

Proven

Morts said:
What happens if I choose "View Ending" instead of "View Real Ending"? I accidentally saved over my file.

The fact that you have both means you'll want to look at both. If you saved over your file, I suggest just replaying it at whatever difficulty you were going to do anyway. There is no shiny unlockable that you get for seeing both endings, as far as I know. It's just the second option is more fulfilling.

Dascu

Morts said:
The "View Ending" options leads to a cutscene. If you want, you can just watch this on youtube. The "Real Ending" is what you really want, since that has more than just a cutscene. It's worth replaying the game just to get the real ending.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing this again yesterday (after a backlog-reduction hiatus) and I'm wondering why I ever stopped. Game is great, I blew through ranked matches 5, 4, and 3 and loved every minute. Any ideas on about how long I have left? I'm hoping to get the game finished this weekend.
Dascu said:
Is it a double tap? Crap, I thought it was just a matter of hitting dodge at just the right time in the opponent's attack. Here I've been thinking I was just really bad at it. :D

Haunted

HOLY SHIT

DID I JUST WATCH THE BEST ENDING EVER OR WHAT! :lol

I fucking lova Suda 51.

loved the increasing meta-humour towards the end (No More Heroes Forever, fast-forwarding, "I thought you and the player were expecting a twist of fate of some sort" etc. etc.) Just fucking awesome.

Dascu

Haunted One said:
HOLY SHIT

DID I JUST WATCH THE BEST ENDING EVER OR WHAT! :lol

I fucking lova Suda 51.
Yeah. NMH's ending is fantastic all the way. From the music, the cutscenes, the dialogue to the actual final battle(s).

Dascu said:
Yeah. NMH's ending is fantastic all the way. From the music, the cutscenes, the dialogue to the actual final battle(s).

Plus
Henry's
Insta-Kill is the best in the game.

While this thread has been bumped, I might as well ask now:

HAS ANYONE DONE "ANARCHY IN THE GALAXY?"

It's Travis's most powerful special, the one where you need to draw a 7 on the slot machine.

Dascu

The-Switcher said:
Plus
Henry's

It's Travis's most powerful special, the one where you need to draw a 7 on the slot machine.

I've done it twice on Sweet. I'm not sure if I got one on my Mild playthrough.

The-Switcher said:
Plus
Henry's

Yes I have. Press the "-" button when you have one stock (7-7-7 on the slot machine). Works great on all normal enemies, hardly works on bosses.

sonicspear64 said:
Yes I have. Press the "-" button when you have one stock (7-7-7 on the slot machine). Works great on all normal enemies, hardly works on bosses.

Oh, I know how to do it. I just never rolled a 7 on the slots.

Funny story, I tested the game for two months between September and November. And no one ever knew what the 7 did. Grasshopper never told us, and neither did Ubisoft, it was never written down in any document, or anything!

The first time I ever even KNEW about that move, was reading the instruction booklet in the retail copy of the game.

Dascu

The-Switcher said:
Oh, I know how to do it. I just never rolled a 7 on the slots.

Funny story, I tested the game for two months between September and November. And no one ever knew what the 7 did. Grasshopper never told us, and neither did Ubisoft, it was never written down in any document, or anything!

The first time I ever even KNEW about that move, was reading the instruction booklet in the retail copy of the game.
You tested the game? :eek:
Did you notice any changes in the game or the cutscenes?

Dascu said:
You tested the game? :eek:
Did you notice any changes in the game or the cutscenes?

Tested the Japanese version first, as it came out early December. And the cutscenes were alot different then in the NA version, have you seen that comparison video floating around on the net?

If a person's arm/head/torso get cut off during cutscenes, they just...remain there, regardless in the Japanese version.

I'm really glad the NA version is what it is.

As for any changes along the way, there wasn't anything major. The biggest thing I can remember is that there were originally more side-jobs 12 in total, one of them was delivering pizza. But they got taken out eventually, leaving us with the 9 there is.

Also, originally, there were no dots on the minimap showing you where money or concept art was hidden, you had to ONLY go by the rumbling of the Wiimote. We made a very strong suggestion to add dots or some other visual reference, thank god Grasshopper did add that by the end.

Dascu

The-Switcher said:
Tested the Japanese version first, as it came out early December. And the cutscenes were alot different then in the NA version, have you seen that comparison video floating around on the net?

If a person's arm/head/torso get cut off during cutscenes, they just...remain there, regardless in the Japanese version.

I'm really glad the NA version is what it is.

As for any changes along the way, there wasn't anything major. The biggest thing I can remember is that there were originally more side-jobs 12 in total, one of them was delivering pizza. But they got taken out eventually, leaving us with the 9 there is.

Also, originally, there were no dots on the minimap showing you where money or concept art was hidden, you had to ONLY go by the rumbling of the Wiimote. We made a very strong suggestion to add dots or some other visual reference, thank god Grasshopper did add that by the end.
Woah, thanks. Looking for hidden items without the dots seems incredibly annoying.

Edit: You should've complained about the lack of a Quick Retry option when you fails Missions and Side-jobs.

Twig

Banned
Dascu said:
Edit: You should've complained about the lack of a Quick Retry option when you fails Missions and Side-jobs.
Oh god yes. That is my one and only real complaint about the game.

Also the uh... wow I completely forget what they're called. The fights where you can't get hit. If you fail you have to ride around for a while and wait for them to respawn. And that's so stupid. ):

Dascu

TheOneGuy said:

Also the uh... wow I completely forget what they're called. The fights where you can't get hit. If you fail you have to ride around for a while and wait for them to respawn. And that's so stupid. ):
Well, I think having a quick retry for the Free Fights might make those a bit too easy. There's plenty of Free Fights scattered around the world anyway, so if you fail one, you can just try another. The problem with the Missions and Side-Jobs is, that you have to drive all the way back to K-Entertainment or the Job Center to try them again.

TheOneGuy said:

Having Free Fights disappear is fine. It punishes you for fucking them up. Even if you do succeed, you can't keep doing the same fight and build up money that way. I don't see what the problem is with free fights, especially when you have 2 or 3 other ones available at a time. Regular missions should let you retry them when you fail though.

EDIT: beaten...

Proven

I've only ever rolled three 7's in my entire time with the game.

When I started playing for the first time I got one in the first assassination mission (Death Metal) and two in the next (Dr. Peace). As far as I know, the reason for not being allowed any is being at all competent in the game.

Also, at the score table after every assassination missions, you only get points for every 7 you got but never used. When I got two 7's during the Dr. Peace mission, I used one for fun and then when I got to the end they only gave me a bonus for getting one.

This game would have the best combat system ever if it actually penalized you for making the wrong motion. Finishing strikes and wrestling moves can all be accomplished by waggling indiscriminately, and the sword clash prompts only require waggling up and down to succeed, it doesnt matter which way you rotate.

Proven

Probationsmack said:
This game would have the best combat system ever if it actually penalized you for making the wrong motion. Finishing strikes and wrestling moves can all be accomplished by waggling indiscriminately, and the sword clash prompts only require waggling up and down to succeed, it doesnt matter which way you rotate.

While I do agree that the lack of a punishment system for a lot of things eventually brings the game into a more easy setting for us more hardcore players with developed skills and knowledge of exploitation, the main reason why I feel there wasn't any for this game is because of the impreciseness of the motions themselves, and the easy of extra noise that would come from the user. I found this problem when I first played Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and to a lesser degree in Wii Sports, that the more the game picks up, the easier it is to do the wrong motion by accident in just moving your hand to make space for the correct motion. The only way to solve this problem was to always keep my hand steady and at the ready to do what I wanted/needed without any extra motions happening by accident, but then that makes things less intuitive and twitch able.

Then again, if a game can be made like Wii Sports or Warioware, that puts you into a number of different ready positions for short periods of time to avoid input noise from getting into those positions, you can do a lot more. It's really the reason how a lot of Wii games have ended up either favorably or unfavorably based on the controls.

Proven

mugwhump said:
I saw a movie poster for a movie called 'Vengeance' (or something) and it starred Dan Harman. Wasn't he from Killer7?

Dan Smith and Harman Smith. Clever way to include their names, but outside of being part of the Killer 7 team I don't think those two characters had any other ties in the game.

Proven said:
While I do agree that the lack of a punishment system for a lot of things eventually brings the game into a more easy setting for us more hardcore players with developed skills and knowledge of exploitation, the main reason why I feel there wasn't any for this game is because of the impreciseness of the motions themselves, and the easy of extra noise that would come from the user. I found this problem when I first played Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and to a lesser degree in Wii Sports, that the more the game picks up, the easier it is to do the wrong motion by accident in just moving your hand to make space for the correct motion. The only way to solve this problem was to always keep my hand steady and at the ready to do what I wanted/needed without any extra motions happening by accident, but then that makes things less intuitive and twitch able.

Then again, if a game can be made like Wii Sports or Warioware, that puts you into a number of different ready positions for short periods of time to avoid input noise from getting into those positions, you can do a lot more. It's really the reason how a lot of Wii games have ended up either favorably or unfavorably based on the controls.

Id agree if smash brothers didnt already do shake smash really well. Its the first wii gesture system that felt like if I performed the wrong move I knew why, and yet its not as condescendingly forgiving. The different wrestling moves in this game have no point because they all have a universal input: flail.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Proven said:
Dude, don't worry.

Load up your file, get out of your house and hit the pause menu.

Head for the Data screen. There you can choose Load Game or New Game.

I'm guessing they couldn't think up a cool way to have a save select/new or load game option at the title screen is the reason they went through this, but whatever.

Now, the only other thing you'll have to worry about is whether or not Bitter difficulty is tied to each specific save file you beat the game once on or if you've unlocked it for whenever and however.
no, i did that, and bitter difficulty IS tied to each specific save run. if i were to make a fresh run, i can only choose sweet and mild.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I got all the way to rank 2 before I found out you can do super death moves by repeating the motion during the slowdown right before you hit.

One funny thing about the final fight for me -
I had read a spoiler early so I knew that "Jeane" was the final boss. However, given the craziness of the story overall, I figured you actually fought the cat. People saying that the powered low slash is the best way to win only confirmed this for me, because of course a low slash would work against a foe so close to the ground. Then when the cat followed me to the 2nd rank battle, I just knew it was going to happen.

Imagine my surprise when you actually fight a person. :lol

So, on that note, why did the cat follow me all the way to that rank 2 fight?

jgwhiteus

Yay, finally finished the game on "Mild" today after having it sit in my backlog for a month or two. I really liked the ending and the
Sylvia reveal (that she'd been helping you all along, and you weren't just pointlessly killing people to be "number one" but had a bigger purpose), and the Jeane reveal. Didn't know what to make of Henry and the "Real Ending", though I really liked the end music credits for that, as well as a few other tracks in the game.
Last fights were tough, but I think technically I died the most on rank 8.

I was horrible at the Free Fights, though. I think I was able to finish the easiest one after getting the MK-III with the charge attack and energy saving (I had to grind Assassination No. 18 to save up enough), but all of the rest I'd always get hit within 10 seconds or something. Oh well. Definitely a fun game - I'm going to go through it again on Bitter.

Just started the game last night, and just beat Shinobu a couple minutes ago (I've decided to do one assassination a day). Just want to get a couple thoughts out:

1) Wow the game is really ugly.
2) Wow Santa Destroy is as bad as everyone says it is (though I'm enjoying it in a "this is really dumb" kind of way).
3) Wow the free-fight missions are fucking annoying. I pull off a finishing strike, then get randomly hit out of nowhere because I can't block and fail. That's awesome.
4) Wow the fact that you don't get to fight Helter Skelter, much less even see it aside from some clips from the first trailer, is kind of lame.
5) Wow THISGAMEISSOAMAZINGOHMYGOD

I don't even know where to begin. I love the style; I love the music; I love the writing and the voice acting; I love Travis, despite the fact that he's the most reprehensible person ever; I love the little nods to Killer7; and oh my God, the combat is absolutely amazing.

I've been hyped for this game ever since the original Heroes trailer came out (by the way, have any of you guys gone back and watched it on the TV? Wow, the voice acting in it is so wrong), and it's delivered in spades.

Twig

Banned
Dascu said:
Well, I think having a quick retry for the Free Fights might make those a bit too easy. There's plenty of Free Fights scattered around the world anyway, so if you fail one, you can just try another.
Which means I have to drive around the overworld.

Which, as much as I love this game, is not fun. Not even a little. It's not really hard once you figure out how to do the quick turns that refill your boost, but it's not fun.

And I don't play things like free-fight to be punished. I play for fun. So, a quick retry for free fights would make the game infinitely more enjoyable. Especially since they were the best "side quests" in the game. I loved doing them. Hated driving around for them.

Top Bottom