• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Threi

notag
LazerShark said:
I've just fought Shinobu 4 times and died. The last time I had her health down to this | and she unleashes the North Fist of the Motherfucking Star at me and kills me. Fuck, I have no idea how to stun her. It's always random and I'm never quick enough to push the B button prompt. I hope I never have a black female teacher at college.
Try dodging.

Her instakill attack is so obvious too :lol

Threi

notag
LazerShark said:
I strafed and evaded through the whole goddamn fight, kid. That insta-attack came outta nowhere.
I dunno what to say then. I had no problem with Shinobu, even on bitter.

Try hitting once and then backing off.

digging this up 'cause today i came back to the game after a few months break and damn me if i haven't just killled harvey (rank no. 4) right off the bat.. what a great ending to the fight :D

i made the mistake(?) of starting my first playthough on bitter, shinobu had me stuck for AGES as did
onelegged grenade beach girl
the other fights have been not nearly so ass-busting.

so anyway, after a couple of months of mgs, gtaIV and catching up on oblivion this game is a breath of sweeeet fresh air and i'm happy.

that's all...

Dever

Banned
Just bumping to say that I just beat the game on Bitter and it was fucking awesome. The real ending is amazing. Love how
Silvia is like: "I know. Too bad there won't be a sequel lol" and seconds later a huge "TO BE CONTINUED" appears on the screen.
:lol

D-X

Just replaying Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and knock me down - the thing that I hated about this game is now the thing keeping me playing. The Princes' VA is Travis' VA.

farnham

Banned
finally finished the game

yes it got many many flaws

but man the fighting is awesome.. probably better then most of the 3D third person adventures out there...

the story is laughable yet has awesome moments

Suda 51 I salute you

No more heroes is finally a game I would call independent art and really enjoyable at the same time

I fuckin hope there will be a No more heroes 2 with the same fighting system a smoother running engine and less tedious side jobs

TunaLover

jaundicejuice said:
DAS BUMP.

You can finally recommend No More Heroes in the Nintendo Channel. Why are you still reading this? Go go go! VOTE NAO!

i did, the best score, complete with the loudest drums :D

I bought this as a gift for a friend who just graduated Harvard. She's had the Wii since a few months after launch and is mostly into the LOL casual stuff like WiiSports and Mario Party.

She loves this game. (Dyack, this is how to make a smart game.)

Also, I was just at a film festival and I was surprised at how many of the writers and filmmakers in attendance were huge fans of the game. Even people who weren't gamers had at least watched someone else play it. Kinda like FF7 was back in the day.

Dascu

Count Dookkake said:
I bought this as a gift for a friend who just graduated Harvard. She's had the Wii since a few months after launch and is mostly into the LOL casual stuff like WiiSports and Mario Party.

She loves this game. (Dyack, this is how to make a smart game.)

Also, I was just at a film festival and I was surprised at how many of the writers and filmmakers in attendance were huge fans of the game. Even people who weren't gamers had at least watched someone else play it. Kinda like FF7 was back in the day.
That's pretty awesome.

So I picked up Killer7 because NMH was such an awesome experience and found that I really couldn't stand it. The garbly voices annoyed the hell out of me, the combat sucked, and the puzzles were boring, I couldn't even get through the first mission. I thought Suda51 was gonna be my new "well if it involved him, it has to be good" guy, but man. Apparently he's really hit or miss.

Anyone else go through the same thing? I'm still gonna give Fatal Frame 4 a shot - hope it goes better :p

Dascu

HisshouBuraiKen said:
So I picked up Killer7 because NMH was such an awesome experience and found that I really couldn't stand it. The garbly voices annoyed the hell out of me, the combat sucked, and the puzzles were boring, I couldn't even get through the first mission. I thought Suda51 was gonna be my new "well if it involved him, it has to be good" guy, but man. Apparently he's really hit or miss.

Anyone else go through the same thing? I'm still gonna give Fatal Frame 4 a shot - hope it goes better :p
The first mission of Killer7 is easily the worst. It goes up and up and up. The combat becomes more a lot more varied (different enemy types). I admit, the puzzles are pretty weird at times, but they do add to the bizarre feel of the game. As for the "garbly voices": What about Suzy? 'x_X;°

Proven

HisshouBuraiKen said:

I'm the opposite. Suda is currently one of my love everything he does guy, and Killer 7 was my first of his games.

Ydahs

Sorry for the two month bump, I just wanted to post my impressions:

No More Heroes is technically an ugly game, as we all know. Early on, I realized this game had several issues. Framerate inconsistencies, very average graphics (though a nice artstyle) and a deserted overworld were certainly my main concerns. Did I care? Initially I did, but these concerns were soon minimal as I was having a blast with this game!

With games today, I find myself just dragging along at many points where the game basically becomes a chore. I cannot recall that happening as much in NMH, though a couple of times I found myself short of money for the next rank. Assassin gigs = fun, jobs =/= not fun.

The fighting is great, and the battle system is rewarding. Who would've thought waggling can be so much fun?! The wrestling moves are also a nice addition to the combat, but hopefully in the sequel they can change things up a bit so it doesn't get old. I'd love to see some Motion+ implementation.

The skits before and after each assassin ranked fight are quite entertaining and, surprisingly, the voice acting is really good. The battles themselves are awesome and intense. Most assassin ranked fights were superb, though a couple towards the end felt out of place and paled in comparison to the rest. I really liked the close combat ranked fights and fights which demanded alot of skill and concentration.

Favourite battles:
1. Shinobu (Hardest battle but the combat was so damn awesome)
2. Henry (Also very difficult but as I already mentioned, I loved the close combat fights)
3. Bad Girl and Jeanne take this position as I found both to be great fights

The length of the game was pretty good, though I'd like to see more action between the ranked fights, as money collecting can get old pretty quick, though I doubt the sequel is going to be rank based anyway. I really hope that the seriousness of the sequel doesn't come at the expense of the humour, as it really kept me interested and entertained.

I'd give this game around a nine out of ten, with only Super Mario Galaxy being the better Wii game I've played thus far. It loses a point mainly becuase of graphics and difficulty, as everything except the ranking battles are easy. It'd be great to have more difficult enemies in the sequel and a decent overworld.

Bring on Desperate Struggle!

NotWii

Banned
Ydahs said:
I'd give this game around a nine out of ten, with only Super Mario Galaxy being the better Wii game I've played thus far. It loses a point mainly becuase of graphics and difficulty, as everything except the ranking battles are easy. It'd be great to have more difficult enemies in the sequel and a decent overworld.

Totally agree

Has anyone found a proper copy of the Desperate Struggle trailer?
The one Gametrailers has is slightly corrupted.

Ydahs said:
Sorry for the two month bump, I just wanted to post my impressions:

No More Heroes is technically an ugly game, as we all know. Early on, I realized this game had several issues. Framerate inconsistencies, very average graphics (though a nice artstyle) and a deserted overworld were certainly my main concerns. Did I care? Initially I did, but these concerns were soon minimal as I was having a blast with this game!

With games today, I find myself just dragging along at many points where the game basically becomes a chore. I cannot recall that happening as much in NMH, though a couple of times I found myself short of money for the next rank. Assassin gigs = fun, jobs =/= not fun.

The fighting is great, and the battle system is rewarding. Who would've thought waggling can be so much fun?! The wrestling moves are also a nice addition to the combat, but hopefully in the sequel they can change things up a bit so it doesn't get old. I'd love to see some Motion+ implementation.

The skits before and after each assassin ranked fight are quite entertaining and, surprisingly, the voice acting is really good. The battles themselves are awesome and intense. Most assassin ranked fights were superb, though a couple towards the end felt out of place and paled in comparison to the rest. I really liked the close combat ranked fights and fights which demanded alot of skill and concentration.

Favourite battles:
1. Shinobu (Hardest battle but the combat was so damn awesome)
2. Henry (Also very difficult but as I already mentioned, I loved the close combat fights)
3. Bad Girl and Jeanne take this position as I found both to be great fights

The length of the game was pretty good, though I'd like to see more action between the ranked fights, as money collecting can get old pretty quick, though I doubt the sequel is going to be rank based anyway. I really hope that the seriousness of the sequel doesn't come at the expense of the humour, as it really kept me interested and entertained.

I find the complaining about the jobs to be completely unfounded. You only need to do them a single time, then the rest can be higher-paying assassin jobs to earn the rest of the money. And the jobs were fun, if you only do them once (as you should) or maybe a few more times to get gold rank.

I didn't care about the graphics because the game is obviously not high-budgeted, and though I would have liked a bit more stores, I didn't really get enough money to spend on random crap anyway, I was too busy killing people.

The only thing I would have changed is having to drive everywhere on missions. Though it does play a bit of an important role in one mission (you know which), it would have been much easier if you didn't have to go back and forth when you repeated missions.\

Oh, and we all know which battle was the best one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGE39bNGBQM

Ydahs

Death_Born said:
I find the complaining about the jobs to be completely unfounded. You only need to do them a single time, then the rest can be higher-paying assassin jobs to earn the rest of the money. And the jobs were fun, if you only do them once (as you should) or maybe a few more times to get gold rank.

I didn't care about the graphics because the game is obviously not high-budgeted, and though I would have liked a bit more stores, I didn't really get enough money to spend on random crap anyway, I was too busy killing people.

The only thing I would have changed is having to drive everywhere on missions. Though it does play a bit of an important role in one mission (you know which), it would have been much easier if you didn't have to go back and forth when you repeated missions.\
The jobs aren't as bad as I probably made them out to be, but I would've liked it if they were funner. I liked a couple, but some seemed pointless. I like the concept though.

I agree with you on the graphics part. The graphics looked okay in the assassin ranked areas, but it's the inconsistencies which stood out. I'm assuming NMH2 is going to have a greater budget, so I'm also assuming the overworld is going to look good! The model and texture pop-ins were annoying at the start, but I did eventually get used to them.

As for the driving around back and forth to retry a mission, I found that to be really annoying. If only there was a retry option. Also on assassin gigs, more varied missions would be welcomed.

Despite some obvious flaws, the game is still fantastic. Only a few games with so many flaws can be considered great, and NMH is one of them.

I was so damn hyped for this battle :lol
but really pissed off when Henry had to interfere :(

Dave Long

Banned
The jobs being pointless is actually just one more way that the game pokes fun at gamers. A lot of what you call flaws are IMO meant to be that way.

Threi

notag
This is currently the only game this gen i have actually completed twice (and am contemplating completing a third time)

Dave Long said:
The jobs being pointless is actually just one more way that the game pokes fun at gamers. A lot of what you call flaws are IMO meant to be that way.
Which isn't so much a defense as it is an explanation.

I don't disagree about your point - the jobs weren't meant to be fun. They were meant to show how tedious work is even during an exciting quest. But it's hard to blame people for seeing tedious gameplay as, well, tedious.

Dave Long

Banned
I agree, and understand why people might see it that way.

It's hard to say it delicately, but I think how you interpret those parts of the game speaks to your ability to see beyond the surface of a game (or film, or book... movies and books do that kind of thing too...) and "get" what it is the designer/storyteller is trying to say.

Suda 51 is one of the few designers that seems to be trying to say something to people in his games that's not necessarily written on the sleeve of every character you meet. This is so rare in videogame design that it flies right over a lot of people's heads, IMO.

Dave Long said:
I agree, and understand why people might see it that way.

It's hard to say it delicately, but I think how you interpret those parts of the game speaks to your ability to see beyond the surface of a game (or film, or book... movies and books do that kind of thing too...) and "get" what it is the designer/storyteller is trying to say.

Suda 51 is one of the few designers that seems to be trying to say something to people in his games that's not necessarily written on the sleeve of every character you meet. This is so rare in videogame design that it flies right over a lot of people's heads, IMO.
I think part of it is an issue with the medium.

Suda wanted to show how boring every day life is in comparison to what Travis' goal is. It helped to understand the character. You could tell why Travis was so obsessed with being number one - his life is mundane. Even changing the channel on his jobs was boring because they were all boring. It made the assassinations, for him, way more exciting.

But as a player, you're given these set of tasks that are purposely meant to be boring. In a movie, you can write them off as scenes that develop the character. In an interactive medium, you don't think about that. You just realize you're not having fun playing it. You don't juxtapose it to the assassinations in an attempt to understand why it's that way, you do so in a critical manner, to think "I was having fun and now I'm not, WTF game."

Though, really, I can't think of a single other medium that could tell NMH's story as well as a game did. This isn't to say it has a superior story to anything you can find in books or movies, but the fact that it does provoke those feelings from a player in a way that books or movies can not is interesting.

Twig

Banned
As a player, I both completely understand and loathe the tedium.

Which is funny, because I love tedium in a lot of different games. Like, say, Etrian Odyssey! No More Heroes' overworld, jobs, etc. just kind of made me want to die, though.

And I get that is the point.

That doesn't make it more enjoyable.

Still one of my favorite games on Wii. And I'm not one of those "OH GOD WII IS DOOMED SO FEW GAMES WORTH HAVING" people. I'm one of those "You know, there are a lot of games I enjoy on Wii and more coming soon that I really want" people.

The combat is just so goddamn satisfying. And of course (just like Killer 7) I love the Suda's-off-his-rocker story and premise. Can't wait for the sequel. ):

NotWii

Banned
The jobs weren't so bad... I made money very quickly through the assasination gigs, so it never pissed me off.

Stormbringer said:
Many thanks :D

Death_Born said:

Hey... that's not Rank 2...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZMd-09MiRY
DAMN NOW I WANT TO START THE GAME OVER.

And haha, I never realised the banner in her 'room' said 'POW! Right in the kisser!'

Dave Long said:

I liked the fact that the jobs were a strangely relaxing diversion from the constant killing and assassinating going on. Instead of making the game a non-stop killing spree, Suda intersects the missions with some completely mundane and just plain strange jobs. It's sort of like "cool-down time." So it's not just a statement, but a legitimate part of the gameplay.

Proven

Death_Born said:
I liked the fact that the jobs were a strangely relaxing diversion from the constant killing and assassinating going on. Instead of making the game a non-stop killing spree, Suda intersects the missions with some completely mundane and just plain strange jobs. It's sort of like "cool-down time." So it's not just a statement, but a legitimate part of the gameplay.

Especially when it comes to arguments between the differences of Team Fortress and Team Fortress 2, I've read about more and more people that care more about non-stop action than things like "ebb and flow" or "pacing" or "fairness" (in the case of respawn timers). They just want fight fight fight until they either drop from exhaustion or beat the game.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
good GOD! they don't have it as an option for best overall game of the year (across all systems)! at LEAST give it best use of the Wii Remote. the way it was used was genius!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
jaundicejuice said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936561p1.html

You should know what you all have to do every time you see No More Heroes.

Thanks for posting, just noticing this now.

Man, NMH was sure nominated for a lot of awards!
And it deserves most too :)

This list kind of puts 2008 Wii gaming in perspective. Damn.
Looks even bleaker this way, well at least: very front loaded. Most of the nominated games came out in Q1/Q2!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You know, I still haven't beaten this game and I got it on day one. I feel so bad. But then again, one of my friends borrowed my damn Wii for practically the entire year and won't give it back unless I let her borrow my PS3 or X360. Dammit.

NotWii

Banned
I just started FLOWER, SUN AND RAIN on the DS by SUDA51
And wow, you can see a few similarities to killer7 and No More Heroes.

Killer 7
- Unique camera angles + fairly linear path
- The protagonist running around with a briefcase reminded me a lot of Garcian Smith
- Old man in a wheelchair reminded me of Harman Smith
- Mumbo jumbo voicespeak for the characters

No More Heroes
- The Battery charge up sound in NMH seems to have come from FLOWER, SUN AND RAIN.
- The Hotel's emblem is a star, similar to the Santa Destroy emblem
- Bikini clad girl lounging on the beach reminded me of Silvia, they used similar camera angles, shots.
- Some of the UI icons are done in the same style as NMH's pixel block style, but they may have added those for the DS release.

Fredescu

Just finished it. I didn't really expect to like it, but I ended up loving it. I even liked the jobs, except for the minesweeping, and the treasure hunting was annoying and pointless, but everything else was great. I'll probably go back and finish it on bitter at some point. Glad a sequel is coming, hopefully one with a graphics budget.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've just started this game and chose the Sweet mode, but it's even more easy than I expected. Should I just start over on Mild or is there a big difficulty jump?

Sadist

Darunia said:
I've just started this game and chose the Sweet mode, but it's even more easy than I expected. Should I just start over on Mild or is there a big difficulty jump?
Nah, not really. (for my tastes)

Just switch to Mild.

I honestly don't get the complaints about the sidejobs being tedious. You only have to do them once, and they last a grand total of 3 minutes. In the time it takes to figure out the controls, the goal and then try to get a gold ranking the task is over.

It pokes fun in a conceptual way, mowing the lawn is a boring activity for an assassin to do, but the actual mowing minigame takes so little time it isn't boring itself. That Travis does it adds something to the character and story. Plus the little speeches the guy gives for each job are wonderfully odd.

Haruspex

Banned
I was just wondering what people are expecting from No More Heroes Desperate Struggle, if you can ever know what to expect from Grasshopper.

I think No More Heroes was a significant step for Suda51 and Grasshopper in attempting to capture the western audience, after playing a number of previous Suda games you definitely get the sense of 'watering down' or a change of track in No More Heroes. Some would argue Killer7 was the initial step but the plot was much more central and the gameplay was still far to abstract for most.

I'm a little worried that the relative success of No More Heroes (hence the sequel) will see a further capitulation to what's in vogue in the West right now in order to chase profits. Its a trend amongst almost all Japanese devs who are westernising their games in terms of art-style, themes, gameplay and plot. They are also buying up or contracting western devs to work on existing series and supporting the 360 far more than would be expected.

When Hideo Kojima says he is going to change his style to appeal to the west then there is something to worry about, although you could argue his overblown hollywood-esque antics root him firmly in that lineage already.

I'd also like to have a side-discussion about how worried I am about those who actually relate to Travis and think he is a great character, but one thing at a time...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sadist said:
Nah, not really. (for my tastes)

Just switch to Mild.

Which I did, thanks. Got past the first boss with no trouble, going to play some more now.

The battle controls are pretty good, my only annoyance so far is that you have to dodge with the d-pad. Very weird and not ideal with the remote's button layout

Darunia said:
Which I did, thanks. Got past the first boss with no trouble, going to play some more now.

The battle controls are pretty good, my only annoyance so far is that you have to dodge with the d-pad. Very weird and not ideal with the remote's button layout
Not sure if you're aware, but the better dodge technique is to lock on with Z so that you are blocking, and when your opponent strikes, tap left or right with the analog stick. If you time it right, Travis sidesteps and confuses your opponent, leaving them wide open for attack.

It's easier to do if you just block and repeatedly tap the stick.

Christine

Jaded Alyx said:
Not sure if you're aware, but the better dodge technique is to lock on with Z so that you are blocking, and when your opponent strikes, tap left or right with the analog stick. If you time it right, Travis sidesteps and confuses your opponent, leaving them wide open for attack.

It's easier to do if you just block and repeatedly tap the stick.

The moves have different purposes, really - the d-pad dodge makes you momentarily invincible, so it's good for avoiding charged attacks. You can time it to do the block/sidestep thing as well if you're really precise.

TwinIonEngines said:
The moves have different purposes, really - the d-pad dodge makes you momentarily invincible, so it's good for avoiding charged attacks. You can time it to do the block/sidestep thing as well if you're really precise.
You're right of course, but I just didn't want him going through the game thinking that he only had that one option.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
ok, I will try that in the battle I'm stuck on now. The third boss is a total bitch. I can dodge her attacks fine, but she takes so little damage from normal attacks that the fight drags on for way too long. It's possible to stun her for a throw, but I haven't found a sure fire way to do so. Most of the time I get her to 25% of her health, but then her attacks get even more frequent and she finishes me off. Plenty of tries wasted on this fight.

Top Bottom