• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING RUMOR: PS4 release date to be announced at Gamescom

October is part of Holidays 2013?

I can just see Sony at Gamescom:

Sony: The PS4 will be released...next year sorry guys!

*crowd gets all sad*

Sony: Just kidding! October 29th! And we're also proud to announce the next entry of Silent Hill made once again by Team Silent! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

It's fun to dream, right?

Odrion

Banned
I dunno, wouldn't a October release be too early of an announcement in August?

But then again, they probably don't need to worry about it looking at all of the preorders.

Megasoum

Banned
It's not impossible. It's just stupid. There is a reason why it crippled Sega for 2 generations.

I doubt that the fact that they released the console the same week they announced it crippled Sega...

What I'm saying is that because of the Internet and social medias that we have nowadays, there's no way they could keep a secret like that up until the day of release.

border

I think there is no question that Sony can launch the hardware in October. A lot (if not all) of the the games at E3 were running on final hardware, and they have supposedly already ramped up production.

But will the games be ready? A lot of Sony's stuff was looking rough at E3, so the major question is whether they can get the games looking good by October.

And what about online? Will all of their new features be ready to go? Will PSN be set up to handle a big influx of users and activity? Maybe so, maybe not. If people are paying to play Call of Duty and the network is crappy, they will have a nasty backlash on their hands. Will Apps like Netflix and Hulu be ready as well?

Vestal

Gold Member
I think there is no question that Sony can launch the hardware in October. A lot (if not all) of the the games at E3 were running on final hardware, and they have supposedly already ramped up production.

But will the games be ready? A lot of Sony's stuff was looking rough at E3, so the major question is whether they can get the games looking good by October.

And what about online? Will all of their new features be ready to go? Will PSN be set up to handle a big influx of users and activity? Maybe so, maybe not. If people are paying to play Call of Duty and the network is crappy, they will have a nasty backlash on their hands. Will Apps like Netflix and Hulu be ready as well?

I'm hoping we get a proper presentation of their OS. we have yet to see hardly any functionality relating to it. From appearances the xbone OS appears to be further along.

ari

Banned
I can see some AAA third party games making a October 29th deadline. Will make me pick up a ps4 instead of x1 this year if true.

Nizz

cnxh.gif
This is creepy and hilarious at the same time, lol :D

Square2015

So whatever happened to the coveted gaming date of Sept 9th? Serious question.

This was a sacred date for Sony too. I suppose since word of mouth/news travels faster a long lead up to Christmas is no longer necessary. Now just launch them a week before Thanksgiving and all is good but then we deal with shipment/production shortages.

Launch in September Sony and play it safe, you don't want another PS2 disaster.

Into

They are going to launch in October, everything about the PS4 so far has been about bringing the fight to MS, especially in NA. They did it with the specs, the price and will do it with the launch. Either that or very early November. They will sacrifice a worldwide launch just to launch earlier in NA as that is where they want the battle to happen.

Top Bottom