• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING RUMOR: PS4 release date to be announced at Gamescom

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
launch like that would be impossible today , we would know about it through leaks etc..

Apple does the "launching today/sometime in the next 2 weeks!" thing all the time. It wouldn't be impossible.

The problem with the Saturn wasn't really the "in stores today!" part. It was 1) it didn't have all that much build up especially with all the preceding Genesis peripherals, 2) it was only "in SOME SELECT stores today!" which utterly pissed off a host of major retailers and poisoned the Saturn's position in the market, and 3) developers had no idea it was happening, so games weren't even close to ready.

That last point there is the main reason why Sony isn't doing a "launching today!" thing at Gamescom. Its biggest launch titles are all holiday releases that wouldn't be launching for a couple of months.

Even an October launch is a little early for some of its intended launch titles. Watch Dogs, for example, isn't hitting any other platform until November 19.

No you misunderstand. That was because Sega had nothing leading up to the Saturn's announcement. Sony has an almost fever pitch built up for PS4. How do you think people would react if they were watching Sony's Gamescom conference and Andrew House goes, "The PS4 will be available...today"? Mad people would be rushing to their closest stores scrambling for one. It would be insanity.

They will not do a surprise announcement like that at Gamescom lol so you guys might as well forget about it. It's also poor business to do something like that. It will be very close to the Xbox One launch. Probably a 2 week difference between the two. So far it appears that Sony is posed to go first so expect it late October/early november while X1 will be out Mid November at the latest.

Espada

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in early October. I wonder why both are taking so long to drop their release date though.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
With Watch Dogs releasing Nov. 19th, I see both consoles waiting until at least then to launch. If that is the case, they could both be in the same week. Exciting times. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
With Watch Dogs releasing Nov. 19th, I see both consoles waiting until at least then to launch. If that is the case, they could both be in the same week. Exciting times. :)
But if we're using game releases as indicators, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed 4 release on October 29, so... Who knows?

No you misunderstand. That was because Sega had nothing leading up to the Saturn's announcement. Sony has an almost fever pitch built up for PS4. How do you think people would react if they were watching Sony's Gamescom conference and Andrew House goes, "The PS4 will be available...today"? Mad people would be rushing to their closest stores scrambling for one. It would be insanity.

Gamestops would burn.......

I approve of this strategy

Cerny make it happen

vpance

People will be busy playing GTA5, so allow a month or so of buffer and come out in mid Oct. They probably also want people to pick up their first party titles over 3rd parties, so a week before AC4 and BF4 would be perfect.

Oct 15-22!

Ocelott

cnxh.gif

/thread

Green Yoshi

Very likely.

There will be a press conference in Cologne by Sony. I won a ticket for last year's press conference, that was surpsingly good.

This would be awesome. I am holding out hope for core SKUs from Sony and Ms too. Maybe a 120gb ps4 for $300-350. Fuck take out whatever features u want just as long as these things get cheaper models.

Just need to play games.

Warablo

And all those Amazon pre-orders start shipping immediately and everybody starts freaking out about being charged right at that moment ;)

I'm ready Sony. Do it.

That would be funny, I probably wouldn't even bother returning it. Just be like meh, I guess I am getting a PS4.

No way they make October, just no way. I'd say best case scenario is the week of the Xbox One, and if we're unlucky, afterwards.

When you communicate "Holiday Season" as your release window, you sure as shit don't mean October, or hell even early November.

No way they make October, just no way. I'd say best case scenario is the week of the Xbox One, and if we're unlucky, afterwards.

When you communicate "Holiday Season" as your release window, you sure as shit don't mean October, or hell even early November.

I believe Jack said they count October as holiday season during a GT interview.

I'm still betting on the week of the 11th of November. Two weeks ahead would be a good jump and give them time to get another set of shipments in before Black Friday.

guch20

Banned
Tweet Adam Boyes and Shuhei and whoever else! Let's get this bitch out sooner! #releaseinoctoberruletheworld

Not that it'll actually affect anything.

oh my goodness. please make october a reality.

i'm pretty confident in betting that no matter what it'll be launching before xbone.

Apparently they are goinjg to unveil some new PS4 games too.

Should be a badass event.

I just hope the PS4 release date is earlier than Microsoft's.

I am hoping for a October release date.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't know where Gamasutra got that info, but nothing official has been announced yet.

"This November in over 21 markets." I noticed a few people heard that and seemed to merge them into November 21st.

Still guessing the 1st week of November for PS4.

Hedge

I thought it'd be closer to December, honestly. Also, I think I'm too grown up to get hyped anymore. Sad. I really wish I could feel hype again. :c
Can you get grey hair as a 22 year old? I think I can feel it growing.

But yeah, I guess I'll actually get hyped when they announce the release date for FF XV. I hope.

Vestal

Gold Member
Apparently they are goinjg to unveil some new PS4 games too.

Should be a badass event.

I just hope the PS4 release date is earlier than Microsoft's.

I am hoping for a October release date.

I don't get this hope of releasing before MS.

I'd prefer both ms and Sony to release when they are ready in regards to hardware, os and launch title completion. Either company halfassing for the benefit of a few extra days or weeks over the other is a disservice to their consumers.

When you communicate "Holiday Season" as your release window, you sure as shit don't mean October, or hell even early November

eh I disagree they intentionally left it vague I believe October-December is considered Holiday season. Although I agree that it will more than likely be sometime in November. Though I really wouldn't rule out a late October release just like the PS2. I think they are hoping MS will reveal their release date first.

I don't get this hope of releasing before MS.

I'd prefer both ms and Sony to release when they are ready in regards to hardware, os and launch title completion. Either company halfassing for the benefit of a few extra days or weeks over the other is a disservice to their consumers.

I don't think anyone's asking Sony to halfass the launch. I read it as "release when you're ready, but if you happen to be ready a few weeks before Microsoft, that would be great"

Top Bottom