• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOTS FIRED: Activision launches red turtle shells at Nintendo with Blur commerical

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Sales aren't everything. I'm sure Miley Cyrus is burning up the sales charts right now but doesn't mean she's a great artist.
There are a ton of great artists that do top the charts, so what is your point?

Linkhero1

Jive Turkey said:
Agreed but somehow I still didn't like it. Would have preferred to see the kart racers being plowed by the Blur cars or something.
I was expecting this but it didn't happen

Flyguy

Jin34 said:
It would make more sense if it were Modnation Racers taking a shot at Mario Kart since the kart racing genre is just Mario Kart alone until it comes out, while as "realistic looking car" racers are a dime a dozen.
Blur is a kart racer with a realistic skin.

Jin34 said:
It would make more sense if it were Modnation Racers taking a shot at Mario Kart since the kart racing genre is just Mario Kart alone until it comes out, while as "realistic looking car" racers are a dime a dozen.

The Sonic and All Stars Kart racer was a lot of fun actually. Even at a discounted price.

Im pretty sure that wasn't what he was trying to imply.

It was actually.

JSnake

lol at the go nintendo guy canceling his Blur preorder because of this commercial.

http://go nintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=124287 (delete space)

This commercial has enraged me...and I know that's what it was supposed to do. Time to take Blur off of my GameStop reserve list! Yes, I really am that much of a bitter, old man.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
alr1ghtstart said:
dlpbms.jpg

ooh actiblizz and nintendo fanboys in a single thread
Activision doesn't have fanboys. Do you must mean Kotick's viral marketing squad?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
This commercial has enraged me...and I know that's what it was supposed to do.
:lol Activision's ad department sat around their big table and all thought What can we possibly to do piss off the Go Nintendo guy?

JSnake said:
lol at the go nintendo guy canceling his Blur preorder because of this commercial.

Heh, about what I've come to expect of him. GN is a pretty decent news aggregator for Nintendo news, but that's about it.

BTW - "Rawmeat Cowboy"? Wowza at that name choice...

Chao

You can't play kiddy gaemz because your friends will laugh at you and that makes you feel insecure?
With Blur, you can bullshit yourself and your friends playing a kid's game with an adult skin!

don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to blur, but this kind of advertising is just like what you see with cosmetics, aiming for insecure stupid people who can't deal with themselves.

Skiesofwonder said:
Please leave my thread.

Eh, I can't really say that considering I've only played demos of them both. But, to me Split/Second ended up being like Pure. Looks really good, sounded interesting enough. But when I finally play it, it's extremely simple(gameplay), and just another racing game. :\

Chao said:
You can't play kiddy gaemz because your friends will laugh at you and that makes you feel insecure?

I'm not really seeing it like that. I'm taking this as more of a we're similar but more "grown up" type thing.

hatchx said:
I wonder if Blur will be in the NPD three years after it comes out?

By that time we will probably see 3 - 6 Blur sequels/spinoffs.

JSnake said:

http://go nintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=124287 (delete space)

I wonder who is the bigger tool, the gn guy or the wiifolder guy.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Huh, I thought the advert was good. It was pretty funny and well made. People who hold animosity to the level of RMC from NoGintendo should mellow out maaannn.

Feathers said:
:lol :lol

But I want to play the kiddy game in the commercial too :/
The "kiddie" racing game that the commercial shows looks infinitely more interesting than the game that they are actually trying to advertise.

The whole "REAL MEN PLAY REALISTIC RACING SIMS" vibe the ad tries to ram down your throat reeks of misplaced bitterness and is just douchey.

Kamille

Heh, that's pretty good. But it makes me want to play a kart racer more than anything, so it kinda fails to sell me on their product. I think that has more to do with my personal tastes in racers than how good or bad their game looks though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gunloc said:
The "kiddie" racing game that the commercial shows looks infinitely more interesting than the game that they are actually trying to advertise.

The whole "REAL MEN PLAY REALISTIC RACING SIMS" vibe the ad tries to ram down your throat reeks of misplaced bitterness and is just douchey.
Yeah, don't get me wrong - I love companies going after each other (Sony Move ad), but it's hard to support this when it's like "This is stupid because it's kiddy. Buy our game because its bad ass and has explosions." But I'm probably not who they are trying to appeal to in this commercial.

Barrett2

Pretty funny. Seems like an effective commercial to hit the demo they want for the game.

I loved the smiling cloud.

Empty

maybe they'd be be better off launching their red shells at the competitor right next to them on the track rather than at the guy two laps ahead.

cool ad, i do like the juvenile old school style competition trashing, even if the 'lol kiddy' thing is dumb. first kevin butler, now this; it's good stuff

fernoca

But guys!! NOO!
We're boycotting Activision!! What's all this talk about the commercial being funny..and getting the game!!

We have to stay together!!!!

mantidor

That was pretty terrible.

It's the kind of ad that would've worked like 10 years ago if the game was aimed at 12 year olds. I thought "teh kiddy" had died out of it's own stupidity, and replaced by "teh hardcore", another level of stupidity, different but stupid nonetheless.

I guess the industry still has a loooong way to go, what a shame. Unless it was meant to be satire, but even satire has it's limits.

Top Bottom