• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I let my new girlfriend move in with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFMOORE!

So; if we want to be 100% pragmatic about a response to this it's thus:

Kid, this will be a learning experience one way or another. You will grow from it. It also is a highly volatile situation in which you should expect to experience emotional pain, increased financial burden, and ultimately stress. It could end up locking you into something incredibly long term that neither of you might be prepared for. Most likely it will end in heart break. If you defy odds and logic - you'll end up happily ever after. It's clear your mind was made up before you posted this thread - which is fine. Just be aware that the likelihood of you regretting this decision is infinitely greater than everything turning out just peachy.

i think this thread is done!

A is bad? Also, B: if it turns out both parties are happier living apart, so? Fuck the nuclear family ideal. Every couple should make their own rules for success and happiness.

Nah, A isn't bad at all. But B is just as, if not more, likely. My point is that a temporary deal won't work out - it'd even become permanent or destroy the relationship. So for the people saying "it's temporary, just go for it," it's either going to be permanent or it's going to be relationship-ending.

Nevasleep

I don't see the point in 'growing a relationship'. I can understand it, but I just go for whatever feels right at the time. (If it doesn't feel right for her, she'll say no to moving in)
If it doesn't work out, then well it doesn't work out.

I 'moved in' with a girl, the day after we got together, drunk.
Although we already lived in the same flat, had messed around a little in preceeding weeks, and we knew in a couple months she'd be heading home.

I don't see the point in 'growing a relationship'. I can understand it, but I just go for whatever feels right at the time. (If it doesn't feel right for her, she'll say no to moving in)
If it doesn't work out, then well it doesn't work out.

I 'moved in' with a girl, the day after we got together, drunk.
Although we already lived in the same flat, had messed around a little in preceeding weeks, and we knew in a couple months she'd be heading home.

Again, my roommate/friend example. A lot of people can't stand living with friends, but if it's a best friend, they're less likely to toss away that friendship if a living agreement goes badly - they've been friends with that person long enough to know that they can stay friends even though they can't stand living together. A living agreement, then, can indeed be temporary. If it's a friend you've just met, on the other hand, and the living agreement is half or more of your relationship with that person, you're way more likely to stop being friends with that person.

As far as this being an experience to gain maturity from - I don't think that's the debate.

However, when you solicit a video game message board asking for the denizens opinion on this subject - people who have experienced this scenario or know others that have (I personally have), don't be shocked at the answers. That NO you are reading echoed over and over again is from said maturation and life experiences.

So; if we want to be 100% pragmatic about a response to this it's thus:

Kid, this will be a learning experience one way or another. You will grow from it. It also is a highly volatile situation in which you should expect to experience emotional pain, increased financial burden, and ultimately stress. It could end up locking you into something incredibly long term that neither of you might be prepared for. Most likely it will end in heart break. If you defy odds and logic - you'll end up happily ever after. It's clear your mind was made up before you posted this thread - which is fine. Just be aware that the likelihood of you regretting this decision is infinitely greater than everything turning out just peachy.

Where did I say it would turn out peachy? Oh right I didn't. You can't gain experience without trying something out. That's my fucking point here. But I'm sure I should just shut up actually having lived with someone and not doing the proper chart making, risk assessment and looking at the stats of failure for relationships of people my own age. Because if anything the stats of failure should always keep me from trying or experiencing new relationships or steps up in my relationships. I should never factor in how my actual relationship is going or what I can stand to learn from taking it to the next level. Nope I'll just let some numbers on a piece of paper tell me what to do next.

Where did I say it would turn out peachy? Oh right I didn't. You can't gain experience without trying something out. That's my fucking point here. But I'm sure I should just shut up actually having lived with someone and not doing the proper chart making, risk assessment and looking at the stats of failure for relationships of people my own age. Because if anything the stats of failure should always keep me from trying or experiencing new relationships or steps up in my relationships. I should never factor in how my actual relationship is going or what I can stand to learn from taking it to the next level. Nope I'll just let some numbers on a piece of paper tell me what to do next.

It's not numbers on a paper. It's speaking from what we know, and in the case of many others, what they've experienced. So they - we - try to help others not to make mistakes. Just because it's a learning experience doesn't make it a good idea in and of itself.

And for the record, you just admitted that your living situation didn't work out.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If you're asking on GAF, I'd have to say chances are it's not right.

It should be a fun experience, and if it's right to you, then it's right to you. But if you're on GAF asking, it seems something's holding you back. To whatever extent.

Nah the OP probably already made up his mind before he made the thread, he just did it for the reactions.:)

try it. sounds risky, but sometimes you gotta throw yourself into risky things. It'll be a learning experience either way. Be mindful of how much she asks your for stuff or if she's always late on rent.

Mr. Fix

Ground rules:

1. Summer only.
2. She pays her equal share of the rent/food etc.
3. Cleans up after herself.

As long as she isn't a slob, you should be fine.

don't ask her to help pay the rent or utilities. You obviously can afford it yourself, don't complicate the situation by making her a tenant.

So take the opportunity to white knight for a few months

Tf am I reading?

try it. sounds risky, but sometimes you gotta throw yourself into risky things. It'll be a learning experience either way. Be mindful of how much she asks your for stuff or if she's always late on rent.

Ah, there's another possibility, where it does end up temporary - she's late on rent, realizes she's a burden on OP, and moves out, hoping the internship leads to a good job wherein she can move back in and they solve that problem.

The problem with this post, though, is that those things are more likely to annoy OP if they account for half of his relationship. If it's for a small amount, they're more likely to take a step back and figure things out with some time apart, knowing that they still want to be together.

Zoe

Ground rules:

1. Summer only.
2. She pays her equal share of the rent/food etc.

As long as she isn't a slob, you should be fine.

She's taking over the roommate's room. In that case, it should be made official with her subletting the roommate's lease.

Mr. Fix

She's taking over the roommate's room. In that case, it should be made official with her subletting the roommate's lease.

Forgot about that. Alright!

Ground rules:

1. Summer only.
2. She pays her equivalent share of the old roommate's.

I know the decision has been made, but here's my two cents. If it feels right, go for it. If it feels wrong, don't bend on your convictions to try and be a saint.

If you do go for it, just try and have some fallback plan. If this is an unmitigated disaster and you end up hating her and splitting up, by agreeing to this in the first place, are you pretty much locked into allowing her to stay for the duration of the summer? Because that's the worst case scenario.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
And for the record, you just admitted that your living situation didn't work out.

Nothing "works out" in the long run. Not relationships, not life. Everything's on a clock.

He's not having a baby or joining the Marines as a heavy gunner. This is really not a monumental life decision whatsoever, therefore if he wants to do it, he should just do it (and he's doing it). If it crashes and burns for any number of potential reasons, that's okay.

It's not numbers on a paper. It's speaking from what we know, and in the case of many others, what they've experienced. So they - we - try to help others not to make mistakes. Just because it's a learning experience doesn't make it a good idea in and of itself.

The relationship didn't work, not the living situation. And I don't regret it due to the fact that I learned and experienced things that assist (or will assist me) in future relationships. Keep running from experiences though see how far that gets you. Who has a perfect relationship off the bat without any sort of experiences in failure?

Nothing "works out" in the long run. Not relationships, not life. Everything's on a clock.

He's not having a baby or joining the Marines as a heavy gunner. This is really not a monumental life decision whatsoever, therefore if he wants to do it, he should just do it (and he's doing it). If it crashes and burns for any number of potential reasons, that's okay.
It's not a monumental life decision, and I think most people recognize that, but I thought the point of his asking the question in the first place was to have us assess what the likelihood of "crashing and burning" was. It need not be life-devastating to be worth avoiding.

cnizzle06

Banned
I mean, the decision isn't irreparable. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. In either case, seeing as how she's paying rent, I see no reason not to go for it. Unless you think it'll damage the relationship or something, which I'm having a hard time figuring out why it would. Its probably a good thing to test the strength of the relationship now then to realize you're not good for each other 4 years down the road.

I agree with Invisible, first off. Second, it's made that more important because he likes her. Why test something out that's likely to fail? Wouldn't you rather give the relationship time to grow so it can withstand heavy hits? It's why a marriage, for example, can easily afford for a year or so long-distance relationship, while younger relationships rarely do. I feel like testing things like this out is when you're just looking for experience, and not a full-on relationship. Again, though, there is a chance of success, and I hope that if he chooses to live with her, he does get that happiness. I still wouldn't advise it, though.

The relationship didn't work, not the living situation. And I don't regret it due to the fact that I learned and experienced things that assist (or will assist me) in future relationships. Keep running from experiences though see how far that gets you. Who has a perfect relationship off the bat without any sort of experiences in failure?

Well yes, but who enters into a relationship just hoping for experience and nothing else? Usually, people hope the relationship is long-term and they attempt to sustain it as best they can. If those efforts don't work out, then they get valuable experience. But if someone tells you "no" out of experience or what they've seen, then turning out wrong only hurts that more. It's a waste of life when you could have listened and saved time and a relationship. Add vicarious experience to your own natural experience.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
No, I feel you, I was just being overly generalizing and saying that no matter what he chooses to do, he's going to learn something from it. Obviously you want it to work, you've dated a girl for a couple months and really like her. It really sounds like she's in a bit of a bad spot and needs some help for a short time before getting on her feet. I don't know that I agree with people saying that builds some sort of weird dependency mentality...if anything I would say that builds trust and respect.

Ultimately, I'm of a weird school of thought that if the stars are right and this is "the one" then there's no such thing as too fast, especially if you're flat out saying that you're going to back off and give space in a matter of weeks.

I hear you, man. I'm the total opposite. I've been burned any number of times I've done something because it "felt right". That's why I'm a far more logical person now, and don't tend to make decisions unless I agonize over every detail.

We are the sum of our experiences, as it were. :)

There's a stark difference between minimizing failure and avoiding failure. Running headlong into any situation that looks right on its face isn't a particularly productive way to go about things.

You can't learn to ride a bike without actually riding a bike, but you can also do any number of things to minimize the risk of falling over while learning: training wheels, having someone help you steady the bike as you ride, not wearing a comically oversized sombrero the first time you mount a bicycle.

Living life is a combination of weighing the alternatives, and ultimately taking the plunge.

Tunavi

Banned
Damn. Is it literally that cheap per month or is that cut in half or something?
I have 3 roommates and we each pay 386 a month.

My roommate wants to move out so my girlfriend would move in and she would pay the rent for his room.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

If at the end of the relationship (whether it be due to death, divorce or otherwise) you feel like you wouldn't want to live without having gone through that, it definitely worked out.

I know the decision has been made, but here's my two cents. If it feels right, go for it. If it feels wrong, don't bend on your convictions to try and be a saint.

If you do go for it, just try and have some fallback plan. If this is an unmitigated disaster and you end up hating her and splitting up, by agreeing to this in the first place, are you pretty much locked into allowing her to stay for the duration of the summer? Because that's the worst case scenario.

Something similar to this actually happened to me very very recently. It's fucking awful. You feel trapped in your own home.

Ah, there's another possibility, where it does end up temporary - she's late on rent, realizes she's a burden on OP, and moves out, hoping the internship leads to a good job wherein she can move back in and they solve that problem.

The problem with this post, though, is that those things are more likely to annoy OP if they account for half of his relationship. If it's for a small amount, they're more likely to take a step back and figure things out with some time apart, knowing that they still want to be together.

nah, if those things annoy OP, he should break it off/be vigilant...not take the time to work it out (which may turn into stall time for her.) He gets free and she hopefully learns not to take advantage...its win/win. He's young and free and shouldn't feel tied down and neither should she. On second thought, maybe cohab isn't the greatest idea...but that takes me back to step 1-- try it out and make mistakes.

DR3AM

this is one of those threads where everyone tells the OP "NO" and he ends up letting her move in anyways, at the end, they end up breaking up and the OP gets banned.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have 3 roommates and we each pay 386 a month.

My roommate wants to move out so my girlfriend would move in and she would pay the rent for his room.

The problem with this situation is that she might not actually pay rent. Obviously you know her better then me, but if she doesn't pay then that is going to cause some huge problems right there. What if she says she isn't leaving? I don't know where you live, but if it is CA then the laws make it a real bitch to get someone out of an apartment/room/etc.

I lived with my current girlfriend for 6 months and it pretty much worked out perfectly, and we even had a similar set-up to yours (minus another roommate). I grew enormous respect for her and we became even closer from the experience. But we had been dating for 9 months before we made the decision, and it wasn't something that was asked from either party, it just worked out that way. No one was really doing a favor for the other, and we both went in knowing we had to pull equal weight. We have moved out now, but the situation basically told me that I wouldn't mind living with her for the rest of my live. But we were already in a serious relationship before we moved in so we were willing and wanting to conquer the bumps in the road that is created by living with your SO.

If your just in a fling relationship though, I would highly recommend you DON'T do it. I have experience with that too, some of the worst months of my life....

-PXG-

At first I was going to say no, but then I changed my mind. It's only for the summer. Plus you're young and in college. This isn't your permanent residence anyway.

Fuck it. Have her stay with you. Have fun. Just be sure to set ground rules and not get her pregnant.

CFMOORE!

At first I was going to say no, but then I changed my mind. It's only for the summer. Plus you're young and in college. This isn't your permanent residence anyway.

Fuck it. Have her stay with you. Have fun. Just be sure to set ground rules and not get her pregnant.

do get her pregnant. it is the only way to keep the dream alive!

What is (realistically) the worst that could happen?

It could end the relationship earlier than it might have ended.

Now, some would say that means they just weren't right for each other, but that isn't necessarily true. The fact that this living situation would be half of their experience with each other means potentially more devastating consequences should it fail. Whereas, taking more time for the relationship to grow would allow them to take a small living experience as an off thing, and they could continue and try to get better with that in the future.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It could end the relationship earlier than it might have ended.

Now, some would say that means they just weren't right for each other, but that isn't necessarily true. The fact that this living situation would be half of their experience with each other means potentially more devastating consequences should it fail. Whereas, taking more time for the relationship to grow would allow them to take a small living experience as an off thing, and they could continue and try to get better with that in the future.

"potentially more devastating consequences", "take a small living experience as an off thing".

I honestly have no clue what you're saying. Could you restate what you're and make it clear and direct instead of awfully vague.

Relationships are always great the first few months, you'll ruin that by living together. WAY to soon! Don't do it, she'll find a way to stick around/ a friend of her own to live with.

I've had this girlfriend for about 2 months, we go to the same college and we have a healthy relationship. She comes from a poor family, so she doesn't have a car and she can't afford to live in her own apartment over the summer. She isn't going back home because she got an internship thats important to her at our school. I have my apartment for the whole summer. It's not that we are actively deciding to move in together, she really needs the help.

Is it a bad decision to ask her to move in this early in our relationship? It would just be for the summer, she will have her own place next semester. Anyone have an experience with something like this? I need to make a decision in 2 weeks. I need advice.

Edit: My roommate is moving out once summer starts, she's going to move into his room and pay rent. I will bump the thread if anything notable happens, some of you guys sounded interested

If it's the right time, you would know, if you don't know then it's not the right time.

"potentially more devastating consequences", "take a small living experience as an off thing".

I honestly have no clue what you're saying. Could you restate what you're and make it clear and direct instead of awfully vague.

Basically it's more than half of the time they've been together. If it goes badly, they're more likely to break up over it.

With more time spent together, it's pretty much nothing in terms of the relationship, so they're more likely to keep trying.

It's notably harder to live with someone, anyways.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Basically it's more than half of the time they've been together. If it goes badly, they're more likely to break up over it.
They're likely to break up either way after finding out that they're incompatible with living with each other. At that point the relationship is done. They might be less likely to break up if they're more long-term, but this is not a positive thing.

With more time spent together, it's pretty much nothing in terms of the relationship, so they're more likely to keep trying.
Most of the advice in this thread is based off the premise that breaking up is a "failure", and that it is necessary to stop this from happening at all costs. The sooner you break up with someone that you are incompatible with, the better.

It's notably harder to live with someone, anyways.

In addition, you don't necessarily want to put stress on a relationship that early. Yeah, relationships are different, of course, but still.

Like, why is your girlfriend of eight years less likely to break up with you if you do something stupid, rather than a girlfriend of two days?

Just do what we all know you're inevitably going to decide and DOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

If she turns out to be cool, then hey, awesome! If not, lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom