• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft have announced Xbox One X as a new generation?

It's still anchored to standard Xbox one hardware so it's not really, and simply saying it is doesn't make it so.

Cpu is, but gpu is very far removed in reality.

For me, a new generation would in reality be deformed by developers as much as the hardware.

Until we see hardware with engines being designed to run with significantly more complex visuals at base level which simply can't run on current generation hardware at 1080p , then it's not real next generation.

I also don't see developers in hurry to go into next generation either, as no doubt development costs will increase greatly when this transition occurs

jdmonmou

The Xbox One S and Xbox One X sure sounds like the iPhone S and iPhone X. This has me thinking that MS really meant that beyond generations will mean that they’ll come out with these hardware upgrades every few years; copying the cell phone industry. I don’t like this but I’m done buying Xboxes as long as they continue to put all their exclusives on PC. Only time will tell if this approach will be successful.

Fisty

MS think future compatibility is important and im all for it. BC has been great and if this means the games i buy now will be playable on future consoles, then bring on the complications with absolute pleasure.

So backwards compatibility = PC?

PC gaming and console gaming have far more differences than just that, and they will continue to be very different.

Severianb

they would have needed a new CPU for that to happen. the console, as it is, is just a buffed up xbone. the same way the pro is a buffed up PS4.

If that Lord of the Rings comparison is any indication, those Ultra Textures thanks to the extra RAM and GPU are going to make a lot of games feel like a generational jump over the XB1 and PS4 version..... and even the PS4 Pro version.

So backwards compatibility = PC?

PC gaming and console gaming have far more differences than just that, and they will continue to be very different.

Im saying that the model from here on out is PC like for them. Have all xbox one games work with future consoles automatically. Same goes for peripherals. Thats the way PC has always been and its what they did with xbox one X. The xbox one & S games still need to work and all peripherals are compatible with the newer better hardware.

They can just keep doing that, but make a bigger leap for next gen all while maintaining the "compatibility". Hence, PC like.

AmyS

If that Lord of the Rings comparison is any indication, those Ultra Textures thanks to the extra RAM and GPU are going to make a lot of games feel like a generational jump over the XB1 and PS4 version..... and even the PS4 Pro version.

Going from relatively low res textures to very high resolution Ultra textures does not make a generational leap, even if that feels like a major graphical leap to some. Textures are merely one facet of visuals.

Next generation games that are developed during the early 2020s and released in the early-mid 2020 will *clearly* look and feel like 'next gen', and it will be obvious that they could run on on 2013 Xbone, PS4, or mid-gen PS4 Pro / Xbox One X.

Xbox One X is merely PS4 Pro but coming out 1 year later for $100 more and so it gets 40% more GPU power and 50% more RAM.

Make the console look like a new generation would have work for less enthusiasts consumers but to do so they needed new games and a better price.

Making it looks as a new console won't work on enthusiasts because they now what the console is about, so if that is your target it should have be counterproductive to your message.

ZOONAMI

I actually think yes they should have put a better cpu in it and gave it a new name. 4 Years is long enough for the bone and it’s sales are pretty slow compared to ps4 and switch.

A ryzen chip in there and it would actually be a pretty decent 4K machine, then do a spec bump when ps5 comes out. There would be a lot more hype around it if it was considered the next gen Xbox. Timing is right with the 4K hype and prices coming down on 4K sets too.

Problem is they don’t have a new halo to launch with.

I think MS is just kind of fucked in general right now as their 1st party lineup is pretty much nonexistent.

Schnauzer

Announcing it as a new generation would be an utter lie. It will be met with a lot of backlash.

This is not the Xbox Two you are waiting for.

Fredrik

So, thinking about it, should Microsoft have come out and said Xbox One X is a new generation? Would it have generated a lot of hype and caught the competition totally flat footed?

I mean, it is really isn't it? It's a massive step up from Xbox One, did they not announce it as such so not to annoy anybody? Or was it because of the whole "no exclusive games" so it's not a new generation train of thought?
Nah it's genious, it's like owning a PC, nothing is lost, your old library is still intact the games just run and look better. And I've talked to lots of people irl that are excited for the console. The hype is increasing! And every DF comparison is going to increase the hype even more!

Upinsmoke

No but because the Xbox one was so underpowered and the Xbox One X very powerful it sure does give that Impression. Regardless of cpu if it wasn't tied in to the xb1 family then I'd say it would be. You have a console on one hand that couldn't even output full hd at times to one that can do native 4k at others. That's a pretty huge leap.

Upinsmoke

Nah it's genious, it's like owning a PC, nothing is lost, your old library is still intact the games just run and look better. And I've talked to lots of people irl that are excited for the console. The hype is increasing! And every DF comparison is going to increase the hype even more!

Nothing like a pc but hilarious to keep seeing this trotted out. Genius.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think they should have.

Just from a mindshare pov and time frame. And price.

If that meant the One X with the same specs...kinda hard to get away with that.

Schnauzer

I fully expect hype to decrease, as many titles won't be optimized for the smaller of the small install base. I think people are in for a mass disappointment, when they find out things aren't optimized to use the full power, I hope I am wrong. It'd be nice if the support was better than the Pro, but with the sales of Xbox titles being so much lower, I don't see that happening.

mnannola

Seems like it would have been a way better use of resources to use the work done on the One X, and a new CPU, and release it in a year or two as a new gen system that could also play Xbox One games.

Zeextremekid

Neo Member
For it to be classified as a New Generation of Console.

We're talking about a paradigm shift in CPU, GPU, Memory and more.

Xbox One X is basically what Microsoft set out to build. An Xbox One with all the functionality necessary to deliver a 4K gaming experience. It's still an Xbox of this generation.

Graphics alone doesn't equal a new generation of consoles. Otherwise PS4 Pro would be in the same boat.

I fully expect hype to decrease, as many titles won't be optimized for the smaller of the small install base. I think people are in for a mass disappointment, when they find out things aren't optimized to use the full power, I hope I am wrong. It'd be nice if the support was better than the Pro, but with the sales of Xbox titles being so much lower, I don't see that happening.

Hype is decreasing at least with Amazon UK customers. The Scorpio edition has been in stock for some days now which can only come from cancelled pre orders.

AmyS

Also:

https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/884917264310575105

tCWv4iA.jpg

kLQqN4Y.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1405182

Expecting the next Xbox in 2020 or 2021 with 2nd or 3rd gen Zen CPU. That will be the game changer, and the same will be true of PS5, even if PS5 launches a year earlier than the next Xbox.

AmyS

Wish we knew the code name. I like code names!

I like code names myself.

For example, the original XBOX was codename: Project Midway - (in reference to the WWII battle in the Pacific where America defeated the Japanese fleet)

Xbox 360 was Xenon

Xbox One was Durango

Xbox One X is of course Project Scorpio

So the next Xbox already has a code name, and not even trying to guess what it is, I will just say I like Project Aries and Gemini, keeping with the Zodiac theme.

katsais

No , this is just a "pro" like version ( in comparison with PS4 Pro )...

Isn’t the gap in performance between Xbox One S vs Xbox One X much larger than the gap between PS4 and PS4 Pro?

The upgrade from PS4 to a Pro is incremental, the upgrade between XBO to XOX is generational.

Duxxy3

It's not really a next generation system. Not with that CPU. I'm guessing that when Sony announces the PS5 it will be a Zen based system.

Fox Mulder

Hype is decreasing at least with Amazon UK customers. The Scorpio edition has been in stock for some days now which can only come from cancelled pre orders.

I cancelled mine. A disappointing Forza 7 just killed my enthusiasm. Im not spending $500 just to play it with prettier rain.

So, thinking about it, should Microsoft have come out and said Xbox One X is a new generation? Would it have generated a lot of hype and caught the competition totally flat footed?

I mean, it is really isn't it? It's a massive step up from Xbox One, did they not announce it as such so not to annoy anybody? Or was it because of the whole "no exclusive games" so it's not a new generation train of thought?
I don't know enough about it, but I don't know if I would call it a massive step up from OG Xbone. The gap between 360 to Xbone seems larger than Xbone to Xbone X.

Owari

Should Microsoft have lied about the X being next gen? Probably. Would have been a great last ditch effort to save the Xbox while launching the XOX with almost zero exclusives.

btrboyev

It’s still using the same cpu. Why would it be a new gen? It’s a massive upgrade over XBX1, but we all know the original model was lacking due to the hardware team losing focus at the time.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd be happy with it being the end of generations for MS. Just merge Xbox and PC and release more powerful Xbox hardware every three years.

Sony can keep the generation thing going and Nintendo can keep on doing their thing. That way each of the three fill a different role.

I'm ok with this iphone-like model of main system one year, upgraded system 3 years later, and then main system again 3 years after that. It keeps it interesting.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Isn’t the gap in performance between Xbox One S vs Xbox One X much larger than the gap between PS4 and PS4 Pro?

The upgrade from PS4 to a Pro is incremental, the upgrade between XBO to XOX is generational.
No, and it's like others and you just said, the base console was just weaker vs PS4 to PS4 pro.

Ram amount is nice, but the console overall isn't generational.

Weaker base console to bigger mid gen refresh.

FireSol

It has the same shitty CPU as the original Xbox One and PS4. So, absolutely not. Until console manufactured come out with a completely new architecture/cpu and of course higher GPU and RAM then no, it is not a new gen console.

Seems like MS has a chance at coming up with a decent plan Imo. The iteration of consoles can work out Imo as long as it's not a console to soon. I can see in 3 or 4 years a new console is released and the xbox one S is no longer for sale. The Xbox one X will be 300 and the Xbox one X plus or whatever maybe will be 400 or 500

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They could have, but sony is not ready to commit to a new gen and neither is the rest of the industry

cakely

OP: Absolutely not.

Same OS, same games, practically the same CPU. It's an Xbox One that can play the same games you can play on an Xbox One at much higher resolution. That's it.

Green Yoshi

Yes!

Imagine Xbox One X with a Ryzen CPU, but the rest identical to the actual X1X.

They would have been at least two years ahead of Sony. And just look at what they have achieved with one year between 2005 and 2006.

EGM1966

Nope. I think that would have been a bad move actually.

That would have sent signal MS will drop a device far too early for comfort for console market (and whatever they say about generations the market at large I believe would simply see them as abandoning customers which rarely does your market share going forward any good),

The X is simply not strong enough in CPU to carry a new generation and devs wouldn’t support it enough as a new gen vs focusing on PS4 as baseline leaving it merely pushing 4K versions of current gen games.

Sony would be in position to release after X and merrily note their “next gen” console is the most powerful giving X a fairly short window as the most powerful console of the gen (whereas the X stands to be most powerful console this gen for longer).

Finally the X vs Pro is too close spec wise and Sony could easily push narrative their current gen model is near enough as good as MS next gen model which wouldn’t be a good look for X perception wise.

So no: would have been a bad move to try that PR/Marketing angle IMHO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
In the end, the only difference between one gen from another gen is exclusive games taking full advantage of said hardware. The games that have to work on both models and are designed in that manner are cross gen.

dcb2821

I don't mind this new model of thinking, its allows people to upgrade more often. Just like with PC, depending on what hardware you have it determines how the game runs. Going forward all games should stay compatible when new systems come out also. I hated being stuck with old tech in the last few years of a generation.

Top Bottom