• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft have announced Xbox One X as a new generation?

dcb2821

In the end, the only difference between one gen from another gen is exclusive games taking full advantage of said hardware. The games that have to work on both models and are designed in that manner are cross gen.

I never understand that line of thinking though, because PC games take "full advantage" of top tech, but also run on older spec machines. I dont see why we cant do that with consoles now, and be able to upgrade to a newer spec machine every few years. all your old games still work, but you also get the best of the best when the new stuff comes out

I never understand that line of thinking though, because PC games take "full advantage" of top tech, but also run on older spec machines. I dont see why we cant do that with consoles now, and be able to upgrade to a newer spec machine every few years. all your old games still work, but you also get the best of the best when the new stuff comes out
Sure you can do that with consoles, but you don't have generations anymore. I still think we need a refresh to push things forward every few years. Let the developers work with some new metal and surprise us and themselves. No new gen means money decisions holding back new games, as businesses will want to support the old systems for too long.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Consoles are not PC. Consoles are the base machines that dictate how third party multiplatform games(as well as exclusive first party games) are designed from the ground up. that includes multiplatform games on PC which have the leeway to run at higher settings than console based on their hardware.

The fact of the matter is, like right now, the PS4 and XB1 base units are the basis for every multiplatform game's design. Without them, there would be no easy way for developers to unify their development standards. Devs have said this is a good thing about consoles and makes things much easier for them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

PCs don’t take full advantage of top tech though. They tend to still be limited by console specs. This is one reason why people are still happily gaming with 2500k CPUs because nothing really needs more than that. It’s the GPUs where you’re getting the headroom to turn up the effects, resolution etc.

That isn’t taking full advantage of the hardware really.

Top Bottom