• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should R* make a Max Payne 4 a continuation, a prequel or a reboot?

HussiZooT

I've been a crazy Max Payne fan since the first game was launched. Replayed through all three games god knows how many times, and I really hold Max Payne 3 up high as one of the best third-person-shooters ever created, even though the game was constantly slowed down because of its intrusive cutscenes, killing its replay value (even then I've replayed it at least a dozen times now).

I just finished MP3 again last night and was wondering... will we see another Max Payne anytime soon or is this the end of the series?

And if we do, will it be a reboot? Will it be a continuation? Or a prequel, with events somewhere between MP 2 and 3?

I really have no idea how a reboot would work, because that would mean starting over and then it's not Max Payne as we know, anymore. But maybe a more compelling storyline could emerge from the reboot? Maybe move it to London and give us a Getaway game we've wanted since Black Monday? London Noir could be the new NY Noir. God only knows.

A continuation would kind of make more sense since he's all sobered up and might return to detective duty. Might not? Ghosts from his past will come back to haunt him again maybe? Who knows.

A prequel could also work, but I generally don't like prequels. It takes away the grip from the story for me because I know that the character I care about (aka Max) isn't going to end up dead so I'm not worried about what will happen because it's only a filler chapter for me now. Am I making any sense?

What do you guys think? Do we want another Max Payne? If so, how would we like to see it?

Also the current gameplay should stick, with only better environmental destruction and chaos, resulting in debris everywhere that doesn't magically vanish in a few seconds.

Edit - First thread. Sad that it's come at such a time during NeoGAF's current... state, but I'm hoping this site will pull through.

HussiZooT

A multi-player online only game.

My heart...

HeartAttack-2-650x450.jpg

I'd like a heavy classic noir style like MP1.

MP3 was great, and it has noir, but I really miss what made the first game so special.

He is now bald, fat, and enjoying life with brazilian hookers.
He deserves his early retirement.
And MP3 was always intended to be the last chapter of the story.

A reboot? To what purpose?
Just make a different game with the same gameplay and style.

Shifty

The bits of 3 where you played as Classic Max were the best parts of that game imo. Whatever gets me more of that and less of the balding hawaiian shirt stuff.

Realistically speaking though, I don't think it's gonna happen unless R* can figure out how to spin it into a hyper-profitable online multiplayer title. And that'd hardly be the same.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Unless remedy are making it, the series should be left be, while not a bad game MP3 did not add anything to the series.
Max 1 and to lesser extent max 2 were great. R* version could of just been a new I.P, MP3 did not feel like a max payne game.

xviper

a direct sequel to Max payne 3

the gunplay of Max payne 3 is still the best gunplay in any TPS game

the story was meh, but the multiplayer was FANTASTIC and among one of the most underrated multiplayer games i played

I loved the setting, theme, and music of MP3.... awesome soundtrack. I listen to it weekly, most of the score and also Tears by Health. Especially though, the Panama song. Alongside GTA pause menu scores, I listen those daily while working. Cool setting ... the whole 'gringo merc in a hawaiian shirt.'

That said, it was a contrasting sequel to MP1 and 2. Plus, it was an inferior quality game. Better gunplay to replay today but overall I think the first two were notably stronger quality and produced packages -- I just loved 3's set pieces, art, music, and setting.

So, I'd be cool with a continuation and even a thematic continuation, but for the series sake they could probably try take more MP1-2 inspiration.

I'm fairly indifferent to the idea of a reboot or prequel. I'm sure they could be awesome, but I do admit I'd probably be more interested in seeing what happens next than what happened before.

sephiroth7x

I think it should be left personally. Not wanting to cause an issue but Max Payne 3 wasn't a good 'game' and killed what many considered to be a fantastic IP. The game had so much going for it, the music/atmosphere etc. but the gameplay was dire...

I think as a trilogy it can be left alone.

If anything, perhaps a remake of the original, staying faithful to the source material though.

I love Max Paye 1 and to a certain degree Max Payne 2. Max Payne 3 just isn't a Max Payne game for me. The more apropriate name would be something like Bald Action Dude or something in that direction. Nothing of the spirit that made the original Max Payne series good was left in Max Payne 3.

R* should leave it to Remedy to develop another sequel and completely disregard the stuff that was in Max Payne 3. The original one was the most atmospheric action shooter I've ever played. A man with nothing too lose, on his nightly journey through the criminal underworld, in a dark and cold city. Isolated from the society, and followed by the constant feeling of a deep loneliness. That's what I want in a Max Payne game.

HussiZooT

Would a "spiritual successor" to Max Payne work then, if not a reboot?

My mind keeps wandering to a London noir game inspired by the gameplay mechanics and themes of the Max Payne series.

Would a "spiritual successor" to Max Payne work then, if not a reboot?

My mind keeps wandering to a London noir game inspired by the gameplay mechanics and themes of the Max Payne series.

I'd rather see a reboot than just a spiritual successor tbh. I feel to attached to the Max Payne character, that just a spiritual successor wouldn't do it for me. Also, a reboot could cure the bad taste that Max Payne 3's story has left.

I thought the third one had a good ending for the character. A continuation may be a little overkill, like how many bad days can this guy have? 🤣 It'd turn into a Die Hard kind of thing. All that said, I would take any kind of new Max Payne. I love the series and it's always been one of my favorites.

SonicSleuth

Max Payne 3 was and still is an absolutely killer game. Make it a continuation, why not? It's already 100% crazy nonsense, make it 200% crazy nonsense.

I don't know how many people played MP3, but I know it's not enough. What a great game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I really liked Max Payne 3. I'd love to see it enhanced on one X.

On topic. The last section of Payne 3 did start getting a little nuts, especially for the series. I'm not sure if I'd want them to lean Into that more because it's really not Max Payne then, but at the same time the series has told the story it wants to.

It kinda feels like the Fast and Furious franchise where each title could step up the crazy a little bit each time and since it's a small change it feels more natural.

JohnProxy

Neo Member
I don't trust them with a reboot. I've made my peace with Max Payne 3 especially since other people seem to enjoy but Rockstar need to leave the first 2 games alone.

If you simply must then do a spin off or something.

laxu

I would prefer a new game with similar gameplay. Except they are no longer fucking allowed to put in cutscenes anywhere except between levels and they must be skippable.

Clockwork

Unless remedy are making it, the series should be left be, while not a bad game MP3 did not add anything to the series.
Max 1 and to lesser extent max 2 were great. R* version could of just been a new I.P, MP3 did not feel like a max payne game.

Indeed.

Although we kind of got sequels in Alan Wake and Quantum Break (in terms of gameplay and narrative style). Remedy as a developer is much bigger than any IP.

knerl

A game where they don't rely on extreme amounts of chromatic aberration and distorted frames in EVERY cutscene. Except for that MP3 is king. I wouldn't mind a remake of the first two games.

Megatron

Rockstar is never making a max payne 4. It just doesnt make them as much money as red dead or gta so why bother? Take two owns the IP, so maybe one of their studios will make it?

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
This is mad, today while driving for some reason Max Payne come to my mind, and I thought if i could post Id pretty much make the same thread as you.

Im the same, I love all 3 and also for me 3 is the best TPS I have played mechanically. I love the gritty story to the games, just everything about them realy. I was thinking as Rockstar own MP now and with the success of GTAV online would they even be interested in making another Max Payne game. For me Id only like to see either Rockstar or Remedy make a new game and I think the nest chance for a sequal/prequal is either a joint effort from them both or If the rights go back to Remedy.

I think Id also prefer a sequal but at this stage I dont mind to much as long as we see a new game at some point.

Fishook

It will never happen as much as I would love a sequel. A story heavy single player game of 10-12 hours just doesn't sell these days.

I couldn't give a rats arse about Multiplayer.

A.Romero

A sequel starring another character but with Max's cameos and in the same universe.

I'd be there day 1. I enjoyed MP3 immensely.

L Corleone

Neo Member
A multi-player online only game.

It's sad that this is now the reputation of Rockstar, and their future, i'm glad to have experienced the golden age of Rockstar.

There are so many gameplay improvements that could be made on MP3, that said, I dont think a sequel is necessary.

chemicals

As long as they don't do the predictable subtitle thing. Not Max Payne Origins or Max Payne Ocarina of Time. Lol

I'd be glad if MP3, became backwards compatible first. Been itching to replay the game.

I think at some point it'll be back, as a sequel, really can't make a prequel or a reboot. You need Max front and center.

Alebelly

A sequel to MP3 would make me happy. But at this point Ill take anything. Hell, sell me an MP3 remaster in the mean time.

Winchester

Top 3 IP for me so yeah, I'll take any MP that I can get. Love the games. That said, it's tough to say where they'd go from here. I prefer the first two games for their story, script, and atmosphere. Remedy handled the IP better overall. But I love the gameplay in the 3rd game so R* wins that. If they would've kept the sweet spin-dodge reload animation from the second game and carried it over, it would've been perfect.

1335617769.gif

Either way, don't know where they'd go. I don't see a 4th happening because... where do they go? And I ask that question with the understanding that the story stays centered on Max. Might be able to branch off but I don't see how you can explain other people bullet timing around all over the place. Mona having the ability was pushing it. Actually, a Mona spin-off is overdue. She's got so much backstory that was never explored.

If they did a prequel, I'd be game for that. Maybe Max in his academy/first assignment days. Could do something interesting with that. Or when he's just becoming a detective before working with the DEA. James McCaffrey was sounding pretty haggard in the 3rd game and that was 5 years ago. Don't know if he can pull off a young and smart-ass Max now.

But the thing that we'd most realistically get (and I'd be more than happy with) is a remake of the first two games using MP3's graphics and engine on modern systems. If I could get that, don't even care about anything else.

Top Bottom