• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

oni-link

Just beat the game now, really enjoyed it

Is there somewhere you can read about the lore/story? I played the two DLC campaigns a year or so after the base game so I don't think I remember all the story details from the original campaign

Is there any word on when King Knight's campaign will release, and is that the end of the DLC for the game?

Ashtar

This game got me so mad I deleted it off my hard drive
I haven't done that since dark souls 2
I loved shovel knight but this game doesn't even tell you how to talk to ppl, I was running up on people and pressing every button on the controller to try to figure out what to do next
The difficulty after the intro stage is super high and damn if you want to collect the skulls forget it! I only played 2 stages but I had enough game is bullshit

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I like this game (all 3 of them)
DAYIS2UU0AAnnPP.jpg
... right now New Game + is pretty tough!

Berordn

Is there any word on when King Knight's campaign will release, and is that the end of the DLC for the game?

There's still the battle mode, but they might release that at the same time, unless they expand that massively beyond the original premise.

I don't think we have a date for King Knight yet.

I loved shovel knight but this game doesn't even tell you how to talk to ppl, I was running up on people and pressing every button on the controller to try to figure out what to do next
The difficulty after the intro stage is super high and damn if you want to collect the skulls forget it! I only played 2 stages but I had enough game is bullshit

Literally the first NPC in the town tells you how to talk to people.

In a forced, unskippable dialogue.

edit: okay I guess Spectre knight doesn't, but that's such a weird complaint from someone who's played the other campaigns before.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I usually don't make posts like this on GAF, but:

LOL

moeman

Tried going back to shovel knight after playing specter knight campaign and I remember why I stopped. That fucking water level is so infuriating. I hate the terrible jump physics underwater, and the game just feels cheap here. I just can't seem to beat it. The mini boss is also incredibly frustrating.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Tried going back to shovel knight after playing specter knight campaign and I remember why I stopped. That fucking water level is so infuriating. I hate the terrible jump physics underwater, and the game just feels cheap here. I just can't seem to beat it. The mini boss is also incredibly frustrating.

The terrible water jump physics are copied and pasted from Mega Man 2 - Bubbleman. And the mini boss? I don't know.

Are you using and purchased the relics? They are so helpful when you're having a hard time. I've beaten the game around 30 times, so while I wouldn't say it's easy, I remember my very first time through I did die alot. There are some tricky sections and you have to learn in the same way you did in an old school NES game. Pay attention to why you're dying and consider all the tools you have available. And then it just comes down to the hardest part... Execution.

It's different than modern games. Your actual physical execution of the plan in your brain, this requires both.

Novocaine

So I don't know when this got launched on Xbox but it did and today I've played a ton. I have the 2 far right levels on the level select screen to go.

Overall it's pretty easy, at least on the first play through. Healing + outfit that lets you live if you drop in a pit forgives many mistakes.

Nevertheless I'm having a great time playing it. The controls are tight as expected and the suit that lets you slide on your scythe is cool as shit.

Admittedly even though I do find the campaign easy for the most part the majority of the time I've spent on this expansion so far has been that Horace challenge. That broke my fucking balls but I got it in the end, felt good.

Once I'm done I might go back and try Plague Knight again. I fell off of it pretty early, I didn't like the way it played. Hoping it was just the mood I was in at the time.

Overall it's a fucking awesome expansion, maybe even more fun than SK's. I hope they keep making more. I'd love to play a Shield Knight campaign.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
NEW GAME PLUS IS HARD AS HELL!

I've been on Tower Ascension for at least the last hour... I've been in Black Knight for about 30 minutes straight.

Nothing in the game has challenged me like this!

Finally got that asshole. I had I'm down to 1 HP on three separate occasions and couldn't finish him off.

seady

I already have the game on 3DS but haven't really play it due to lack of time (though I enjoyed it when I played it previously). Should I get it on the Switch again?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I already have the game on 3DS but haven't really play it due to lack of time (though I enjoyed it when I played it previously). Should I get it on the Switch again?

I already triple dripped 3DS/WiiU/PC , you can't own enough versions of this game. It's one of the best of all time. Plus the switch version has Co-op mode, which 3ds doesn't.

... Just finished NG+. Pro tip: Dont spam use Curios on some tough boss fights, you need all the health you can get. Alright now time for a speedrun!

Dealer A

Neo Member
Shovel, Plague and Spector are all so great in their own way. I loved figuring out Plague Knight and getting all the feats. It's a controlled spastic and you really feel powerful by the end of that campaign.

Jumping into Spector Knight felt so slow in comparison. It's controlled and methodical. If you think before you jump it's pretty hard to get it wrong, yet you still feel that same sense of reward after completing a screen.

Yacht Club does such amazing work. I can't wait to get all the feats in this game and then dominate King Knight. Part of me just wants them to do a campaign for every character.

kyo2004

New update about 3DS rollout in Europe...

3DS (Europe/Australia) – June 1st! (23:00:00 UTC)
Fire TV – June TBD

UPDATE 5/26: We are happy to finally confirm that the Specter of Torment Update has passed final testing for release on 3DS in Europe! We will be finding out the real, final, actual release date for this update’s release early next week. Not much longer now! Thanks again for bearing with us in this waiting game for the game!

Did anyone else find the Tower Climb challenge incredibly difficult? Drove myself crazy trying to beat it. Finally finished it on my lunch break today though! :)

kyo2004

Not sure if thread worthy, but searching on Twitter about any comment/update with King Knight campaign, instead, I found this...

Physical Switch release after all the campaigns are completed sounds nice... :).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, anyone knows why the game is just (roughly) 16€ on the Japanese Switch eShop instead of the 25€ it goes for over here (for the complete TT, €10 for just SoT)?
Is it missing anything, how come it is so cheap? Is it the proper TT full release or maybe just SoT?

Not sure if thread worthy, but searching on Twitter about any comment/update with King Knight campaign, instead, I found this...

Physical Switch release after all the campaigns are completed sounds nice... :).

Damn! I guess I better only buy the standalone expansion then... I already have the game on WiiU.

aadiboy

The gameplay was good, I think it might even be better than Shovel Knight. Maybe it's because I like more fast-paced platformers like Mega Man X rather than classic MM.

I don't like how every character in this series has to have a tragic backstory. Next I'm expecting King Knight to have grown up as a poor orphan whose only wish was to become king so that he could give back to the less fortunate, or some shit like that. Shovel Knight lacks a true antagonist, someone truly evil like Dr. Wily or Sigma.

mas8705

I'll admit that I would have liked Propeller Knight to have had a chance to have his own adventure. It felt like it was going to be Plague, Specter and Propeller that were going to have their spin off modes, but King took it from under him.

Mind you I'm still excited to see what they do with King Knight.

Zaru

I just bought Treasure trove, finished the Shovel Knight campaign (beat it in the past on another platform), was still in love with it...

... then I started Plague of Shadows.
Hated it. (Particularly the jump mechanic and how it controls)

... then I started Specter of Torment.
Getting seriously frustrated with it. I get that people wanted something more challenging but I'm really not feeling like dying this often for stupid reasons.

DirtyLarry

Finally started playing Spectre of Torment. I picked it up on my Switch Day 1 as I had played the previous titles on my 3DS and loved them.

So far really digging it. Seems like classic Shovel Knight. I get obsessed with the games and have to master a single level so I am just playing that first level over and over until I can play it without dying.

Just wish I did not wait so damn long to play it.

Probably a dumb question, but is there any difference between the Switch and the PS4 versions? I have both consoles, and this seems like a perfect game for the Switch, but I don't know if there are any major issues that I'm overlooking. Thanks!

NateDrake

Probably a dumb question, but is there any difference between the Switch and the PS4 versions? I have both consoles, and this seems like a perfect game for the Switch, but I don't know if there are any major issues that I'm overlooking. Thanks!

Nope. Plays beautifully on Switch.

Only difference is that Sony consoles get Kratos as an additional boss fight, while Xbox One (and PC I believe) get a Battle Toads themed level. Performance wise they are the same. Not sure if Nintendo got any exclusive modes though? (I think it got a co-op mode via an Amiibo but I might have imagined that).

Top Bottom