• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute WORST character design you can think of

Lutherian

lymle_ssb4_request_by_elemental_aura-d6ymgil.jpg

Nooj from FFX-2.

nduQXCP.jpg

Here you go. What do I win?

Theres a lot of bad characters designs mostly from either over design or someone trying to be unique but Nooj always makes me scratch my head. Who the hell thought putting a character in long johns would be a good idea? Thats all I see.

jackal27

Banned
Theres a lot of bad characters designs mostly from either over design or someone trying to be unique but Nooj always makes me scratch my head. Who the hell thought putting a character in long johns would be a good idea? Thats all I see.
Man, THAT is the thing you see? Cause I see... a whole lot of things.

You jokers posting characters like 2B and Tracer need Jesus. 2B is one of the best designs of all time, certainly the best in years.

Many of the worst offenders are mentioned in this thread though. I would say NetherRealm has the most consistently terrible character designs and art direction. Every game they make is just fucking hideous.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You jokers posting characters like 2B and Tracer need Jesus. 2B is one of the best designs of all time, certainly the best in years.

As someone not familiar with the game, the blindfold makes it all look kind of stupid. Part of me wonders if it's some weird fetish thing.

Tracer is just kind of bland but not offensively so.

I wouldn't put either of them in a "worst of" thread, personally.

Caelus

Shanoa, Alucard and Dracula are sort of spared. The rest... ugh.

Castlevania characters in the IGA games were at least overdesigned in a more tasteful way. Can't stand these designs.

Skrams

I don't get how anyone in their right minds can post something like Lara Croft, 2B, or any "normal" enough design.

Look at any JRPG or anything not common for a second and you'll find something immediately worse.

Like, I like Lulu because she's Lulu, but holy god.

The fucking pinnacle of BELTS.

Sakwoff

Cunt Cuntsen, or Cunt² as Gabe Morton so eloquently put it. The whole game is filled with some of the worst things ever modeled and designed.

Normality was cool, but yeah, that guy is comically insufferable. Consistent though, as everything about him (voice, writing, design) fits into that.

MGrant

The blindfolds in Automata are symbols. If you play the game, they come off at important moments in these characters' arcs. Almost like the story uses visual metaphors or something. I'm just saying.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The blindfolds in Automata are symbols. If you play the game, they come off at important moments in these characters' arcs. Almost like the story uses visual metaphors or something. I'm just saying.

Based on what I've learned of the game's staff via osmosis, I'm cynical enough to suspect that the design came first and that a convenient in-game reason came later to justify it instead.

It comes off as something along the same line as Quiet "breathing through her skin," just several orders of magnitude less tacky in execution.

"If you don't know then you're not gamer enough for me to tell you"

Ugh, I fucking hate that edgy bullshit.

Who has said this? No one has said this. That is what you call a strawman.

Pick one:

d2YYopY.png

dC7p0lR.png

6HFsZEM.jpg

Sorry to drag whoever posted these in the BEST character design thread but this is some prepubescent edgelord That right here

Can we please kill the words edgy and edgelord and anything that contains the word edge now please? They are way past their expiration date and quite frankly are a lazy criticism.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Based on what I've learned of the game's staff via osmosis, I'm cynical enough to suspect that the design came first and that a convenient in-game reason came later to justify it instead.

It comes off as something along the same line as Quiet "breathing through her skin," just several orders of magnitude less tacky in execution.

Or play the game to see how it's executed?

The blindfolds in particular are on both male and female designs.

Xiao Hu

I guess most modern JRPG design is trash nowadays. I especially loath the esthetics FF started to fashion with X. As a result for me games with a quirky over the top fashion sense and ugly ass faces won't be bought by me, consequently. I'm looking at you, Xenoblade 2!

Nanashrew

Banned

I never found her design to be bad. I found her personality and all the dialogue with her in it to be bad. Bad design would be the witch lady in Star Ocean 5.

Sakuya gets better in later games.

fYL3bIr.png

To be fair, I think a good portion of that has to do with ZUN getting better as an artist. His early works do have some weirdness to them but you can see a lot of refinement being made with each new game.

marmoka

Banned
Japanese designs are horrible as Hell in general.

Imagine a world were all of us had weird hair and clothes like the characters they design for manga, anime and videogames. Ugh.

Man, THAT is the thing you see? Cause I see... a whole lot of things.

Don't get me wrong theres nothing good about his design. I mean unless you're Magneto that color scheme isn't going to work. Its also full of your typical overdone crap you see on a lot of bad character designs but all that stuff is at least passable with some adjustments and recoloring. You're never going to make long johns look good in a final fantasy world.

Piers

It's just like one of those japanimations
latest

Jak also ranks it up there for me. Just a goofy design that feels like it was made from a character creator in a MMORPG.
I think it's one of those cases where the artist was focusing too much on a distinct silhouette and the end result suffered.

This abomination
Damn it, I was rushing to post Camilla too.

But yeah, Fire Emblem Fates has lots of dumb shit for women, most, if not all, on the Nohrian side too.

I meam this:

134.jpg

is the standard model for female cavaliers and it sticks with them through promotion to Paladin. Hell it happens with female Knights -> Generals and Dark Knights too.

Velvet from Tales of Berseria, also known as Unholy Overdesigned Mess. To be fair, this outfit is stated to be pieced together from whatever scraps she could find in prison, but then we're also told that it's optimised for "ease of movement".

tumblr_inline_mma6i34wzL1qz4rgp.gif

Nothing says easy to move in like shredded booty shorts, no bra and nine belts. I know I'd totally go out jogging in that ensemble.

Some of her alt costumes are rad, though. Maybe they gave her a terrible outfit on purpose to sell DLC.

Top Bottom