• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2016 Edition

Pjsprojects

Quick update,my loft/dad cave needed some shelves mainly for the kids PS4/X1 game characters.
Strange how a man cave very quickly turns into a dad cave and kids simply move in,looks like I will be sticking to my pc corner...

1.jpg

2.jpg

That is the problem, I am not that tech savvy or DIY person to take on a project that big. I will need a contractor to do some dry wall, ahrdwood floor, set up the bar, etc.. I was thinking on hiring one of those HT guys to design the project, and do all the thinking for me in terms of screen size, equipment, etc.. I want to take my time on saving the money so I like the final product. I wish I were a DIY person, but I am not :(

I'm not a DIY guy either. I am lucky though to have a good friend that is a drywall hanger by trade and is the most DIY guy I've ever met. It's just the two of us and we've been working on the Home Theater since September. It's been very hands on and I've learned a ton.

You can get a ton of ideas from the AVS forum. I joined them when I started the planning phases of the theater and started a build thread. A great place to see what other folks did in their build even if hiring a contractor.

In regard to screen size, I would recommend an accuistically transparent screen and sit your front, center, sub speakers behind it. That way you don't have to compromise size.

I'm not a DIY guy either. I am lucky though to have a good friend that is a drywall hanger by trade and is the most DIY guy I've ever met. It's just the two of us and we've been working on the Home Theater since September. It's been very hands on and I've learned a ton.

You can get a ton of ideas from the AVS forum. I joined them when I started the planning phases of the theater and started a build thread. A great place to see what other folks did in their build even if hiring a contractor.

In regard to screen size, I would recommend an accuistically transparent screen and sit your front, center, sub speakers behind it. That way you don't have to compromise size.
Ha, I guess we used the same design approach given we both recommended AVS forum in response to the DIY comment.

As for speakers / acoustic transparent screens, I went with in-wall Klipsch Reference speakers instead and am very happy with them. If you go the in-wall route, the key is to zig-zag speaker wire in the wall before hanging the drywall, and not pulling it through / installing speakers until AFTER hanging your screen. It will give you a nice clean look once you are finished.

Edit: reposting a pic of my setup from the first page of this thread to illustrate what I'm talking about.

dw.og

First post. Sorry for the poor IQ. These were taken with my iPhone.

Television is a Vizio M60, which I am very happy with it. Originally, I had a M55 but exchanged it for the larger size. I still wish I would have gone even bigger though.

img_042317ssv2.jpg

img_0380pjsld.jpg

Jingo

Thats a nice clean look, minimalist just the way i like it, gotta takr some pictures of mine, even tough not much change from last year.

We bought some pretty cheap IKEA furniture yesterday. It's nothing special, but I think our new and improved 2016 living space looks quite nice. Does anyone have suggestions of how it could be improved? (I'm hoping for a jacuzzi and on-suite bar in 2017! I can dream, can't I?)

Hopefully I'm not disqualified for using a filter on the photos.

Bonk

Nice new entries all around!

Seems like I will have to clean up next time for photos. Although the gaming done in the room is more by my one year old...

Any plans for surround sound? Your room might benefit from a soundbar as you're tight on space.

Good suggestion! I actually have an LG sound bar (it's that sleek silver bar in front of the TV.) It's 4.1, does great sound, but definitely has nothing on a proper surround system. I did have a Samsung 5.1 surround system for years previously, but the receiver connection went dodgy and I just couldn't be doing with the wiring again. Maybe some day I'll get another, but I'm really happy with the LG sound bar for the time being (it's 100x nicer than the TV's internal speakers.)

Good suggestion! I actually have an LG sound bar (it's that sleek silver bar in front of the TV.) It's 4.1, does great sound, but definitely has nothing on a proper surround system. I did have a Samsung 5.1 surround system for years previously, but the receiver connection went dodgy and I just couldn't be doing with the wiring again. Maybe some day I'll get another, but I'm really happy with the LG sound bar for the time being (it's 100x nicer than the TV's internal speakers.)

Ah I wasn't sure if that's what it was. Right on though, every bit helps. I like the look of your room, very cozy. Great use of space. :)

Television is a Vizio M60, which I am very happy with it. Originally, I had a M55 but exchanged it for the larger size. I still wish I would have gone even bigger though.

img_042317ssv2.jpg

img_0380pjsld.jpg

I really like it and just love those hardwood floors. Thanks for sharing...

http://abload.de/img/img_042317ssv2.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/img_0380pjsld.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Yeah especially with a wall that big. Looks good though.

dw.og

Thats a nice clean look, minimalist just the way i like it, gotta takr some pictures of mine, even tough not much change from last year.

I really like it and just love those hardwood floors. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks guys! Glad you like it!

Yeah especially with a wall that big. Looks good though.

It looks a lot smaller in the picture but yeah still not quite the ideal size. I upgraded from a 40" so you can imagine how tiny that was.

Thanks guys! Glad you like it!

It looks a lot smaller in the picture but yeah still not quite the ideal size. I upgraded from a 40" so you can imagine how tiny that was.

Yeah I so wish I could pull off a minimalist look like that. I really enjoy seeing how clean and simple people can keep their rooms.

Grief.exe

I built a desk out of steel pipe and an IKEA Beech wood counter top.

I've been using mineral oil, but I want to stain and seal it with poly as I'm tired of residue the oil leaves behind and I don't need it to be food safe.

First time staining something, what stain should I use?

whMWsrZ.jpg

Excited to post, as I've followed these threads for the past two years. I live in a small apartment, so not a lot of room to play with, but I've managed to make it as comfy as possible. Not much a fan of the "clean" aesthetic, as I am usually always working on something and prefer a much more lived in feel.

I moved to the city in a rush about a year and a half ago after breaking up with then live-in girlfriend and getting a new job, all within about two weeks, so I have a looooot of crap I'm still giving away or selling. It's incredible how much stuff you accumulate.

Incoming phone pics. (sorry)

vef5zeB.jpg

TV and my systems, although hard to see. PS3 and 4, Xbone, Wii U, Dreamcast all hooked up to an HDMI switch. Also, assorted controllers, arcade sticks and other cool stuff. Those boxers on my HTPC are clean, I use 'em as a rag for dusting.

That mess of shelves and the black chair are getting tossed soon, as I'm in need for something more functional in that area.

apxnwmK.jpg

Some of my games, others are stored.

ikc97Hg.jpg

My desk and some stuff.

4ScqFRF.jpg

Closeup of stuff.

Y5Da1JZ.jpg

Side table between couch and desk

BaJvuyy.jpg

That's the living room! Next we have....

Oc8sfJk.jpg

Retro setup in my bedroom and cat. This will eventually be set up properly with a TV stand and such, but this is the deal for now.

WNStPgh.jpg
JtnEBUz.jpg
4bhPVGd.jpg

TV was 20 bucks on Craigslist, has component in so I'm using a transcoder to go from SCART.

chwjtBh.jpg

Finally, the view from my bedroom window.

I really enjoy this apartment and the setup I have and I'm still trying to make improvements. I have a huge shelf in my living room that I skipped over cause it's a mess at the moment, but I'll edit it in later once I've updated.

Qasiel

Excited to post, as I've followed these threads for the past two years.

*snip*

Nice pictures, cyborg! I love seeing the different contrasts between gaming spaces/setups and yours shows off a fun, lived in feel. I could imagine if I was living by myself I'd have a very similar setup!

Also, your cat looks like it's seen some serious things in its life. It's got one hell of a thousand-yard stare going on!

You sofa is Ikea, I presume?

Valravn

Very nice, i like it minimalistic too. Is it a parquet floor?

Ryde3

This is one of my favourite threads! I think I'm going to finally post after the next time I clean haha.

*saved for later*

Chastten

Banned
I absolutely love the look of that minimalistic setup (well, except for the Christmas tree and the lack of some color on the wall, it could really use a painting or picture) but I couldn't imagine living there and having to keep it like that. I consider myself a reasonably clean and tidy person, but not this much :p

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lbGWZUz.jpg

Had my PC for almost a year now and have been using a crappy old tiny glass desk. There was next to no room on it. My speakers were jammed right up against my monitor and my mouse pad was hanging off the side. I kept bumping the mouse into my keyboard when playing games.

This desk is amazing! So much room! as you can see there is plenty of space around everything and I can even fit my PS4 on it too with some space left over. The little bit sticking out at the left comes out to give me even more room!

I got it from IKEA today, link for anyone wanting to have a look.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60214183/

There is still a way to go before my set up is complete. My cheap keyboard is doing fine but really want to go mechanical. My chair is just an old one I found lying about. Might get a new one at some point but if I don't then it's no big deal.

e90Mark

lbGWZUz.jpg

Had my PC for almost a year now and have been using a crappy old tiny glass desk. There was next to no room on it. My speakers were jammed right up against my monitor and my mouse pad was hanging off the side. I kept bumping the mouse into my keyboard when playing games.

This desk is amazing! So much room! as you can see there is plenty of space around everything and I can even fit my PS4 on it too with some space left over. The little bit sticking out at the left comes out to give me even more room!

I got it from IKEA today, link for anyone wanting to have a look.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60214183/

There is still a way to go before my set up is complete. My cheap keyboard is doing fine but really want to go mechanical. My chair is just an old one I found lying about. Might get a new one at some point but if I don't then it's no big deal.

I have the same desk. My favorite part is the extra pull out section, because that's where I put my food lmao.

Shaneus

Not specifically for this thread, but does anyone have any tips for hanging fairly big pictures up in rentals? Fiancee isn't confident in the 3M hooks that supposedly leave no marks, but I can't think of any other options. We both have a bit of (framed) artwork we'd like to show off :/

hitsugi

Didn't expect to find that shield so easily..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDHDDCO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not specifically for this thread, but does anyone have any tips for hanging fairly big pictures up in rentals? Fiancee isn't confident in the 3M hooks that supposedly leave no marks, but I can't think of any other options. We both have a bit of (framed) artwork we'd like to show off :/

Patch them up after the fact. Same for mounting a TV or anything else; especially if you're going to stay in the unit for longer than a year.

TBiddy

Use plugs and then cover the holes with polyfilla. You (or the owner of the apartment) are probably painting it after you move, anyways, so it's no big deal.

Unless you only plan to live there for a year or so. In that case, leave them be and wait until you get a more permanent home :)

dw.og

I must admit, that it's not to my taste. It's... sterile and looks more like an ad for a new couch, than a home.

But, cudos for keeping it that clean. Not many people can pull that off!

Thanks, and yeah it is still kind of empty but I only moved in several months ago and haven't quite gotten everything I would like. But yeah I definitely prefer the minimal look.

Very nice, i like it minimalistic too. Is it a parquet floor?

Thanks, and yes I believe so.

MrBlonde

Sorry to post this here but not sure where to ask. I can not post pics from my I phone? When I hit image for my post it does not work and just puts the words
Can someone help? Thanks

Sorry to post this here but not sure where to ask. I can not post pics from my I phone? When I hit image for my post it does not work and just puts the words
Can someone help? Thanks

You need to upload your photos to an online hosting provider (imgur is the one I use) then add the .jpeg hyperlink in-between those img tags)

And God fucking dammit why doesn't vizio sell their tvs in Europe. Money's right here waiting for them.

ErbilT

q33g8e1.jpg

Not nearly as impressive as some of the others, but it works out pretty well. I currently have 9 consoles and a PC hooked up to this television.

Top Bottom