• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Powers part of Sony E3 conference was "a mistake"

SegaShack

The thing is, I don't own a tablet, and my 2008 laptop certainly wouldn't run a game like No Man's Sky as good as the PS4. I couldn't be more pleased with the indies now coming to consoles, as it saves me the expense of getting a new PC, which I was thinking about to do before the PS4 was unveiled, to get to experience what used to be available only on Steam.

There was well over an hour of gaming content in the Sony conference, so it was very much focused on games as well. Perhaps it's just about the matter of taste in games. For me, the only things of interest the MS conference offered were Inside, and the multiplatforms Mass Effect & Tomb Raider. I don't really care about Platinum's games, don't own a single one of theirs, so that didn't do anything for me. And even that was rumored before the event, so it wasn't that big of a surprise either.

As far as I can remember, it's very rare for games to be revealed with gameplay content, instead of CGI/in-engine videos. LBP3 being one of the exceptions. I don't see how that should make this particular E3 a disappointment.
The show was 2 hours long. So having an hour of games is not a good thing.

orochi91

Their E3 should not have been in theatres. Nothing they showed this year was worth
amassing PS fans into select cinemas.

The Letters segment, CEO's stats spiel, and Powers had no business being as long
as they were, or on stage at all.

If anything, Sony proved themselves to be rather deaf to the what the core gaming
community actually wants out of such a significant gaming event.

SegaShack

Their E3 should not have been in theatres. Nothing they showed this year was worth

The Letters segment, CEO's stats spiel, and Powers had no business being as long

If anything, Sony proved themselves to be rather deaf to the what the core gaming
Very true. I wanted to be sold on a PS4 but the conference did nothing for me. The first half was amazing though. The movie theater thing is a joke.

It's a cool way to gather together Sony/Playstation fans. I hope they do it every year.

It's not like they were holding guns to people's heads forcing them to watch E3 at a theater.

I do agree they need to focus on more games though. But I like the idea of a theater experience for a 2-hour conference.

orochi91

It's a cool way to gather together Sony/Playstation fans. I hope they do it every year.

It's not like they were holding guns to people's heads forcing them to watch E3 at a theater.

I do agree they need to focus on more games though. But I like the idea of a theater experience for a 2-hour conference.

Can you imagine if they had E3 2013 at theatres? It would have been historic; the
sheer reactions alone would have been worth it.

I know Sony employees scour forums like this one, so the hope is that they not
repeat the same mistakes as this years E3 and take heed of the criticisms leveled
against them.

Having E3s in theatres is a great idea, in general.

cornerman

Is it perhaps unrealistic to expect gameplay at these conferences? There are so many factors and variables that can prevent this from happening. Games are incredibly difficult to create and your primary task is to complete the game on budget at your intended deadline. Getting a game up and running and then presentable for E3 or any public event is just complicating things more. These games have to be a of a quality and portray the 'fun' during these demos. It may not be there. Sony nor MS dictate that this must be done...they ask. A lot of it has to do with the scope of the game as well. A game from ND is expected to be of a certain quality; this doesn't come without effort. Smaller games, less intensive games, or well established annual games like indies, Nintendo, or Activision can likely meet this criteria. What many of you are asking for is a means to judge the game? But ask yourselves, how good of a judge are you or your peers? Typically when gamers have seen gameplay of any sort, they expect it to be representative of the final game. They're looking at everything in that showing as confirmation of how things work. Sony and MS are looking thru the catalogue of developers they work with and piecing together the ones who just so happen to fall within the time frame. Game design is not the same as writing a book report, or digging a ditch. Working harder or longer doesn't necessarily equate to a finished product, let alone a product that's fun.

Some will say, well don't show it if you can't show gameplay. But in this climate, where we gauge winners of E3...where people have this expectation of being 'convinced' at a show of whether to get one platform or another; you have to show something. You have to let you audience know that you have games coming. It is unrealistic to suggest that they shouldn't show something. The lashing any company would get in the media would be huge. They'd question your commitment, your future, the list goes on. The majority of the industry is interested in the final product; not in how the industry actually works. That includes some members of our media. EA came out and showed early footage of some of its games...and it didn't do them many favors. I've heard many ask, "what have they been doing all this time?" Their game might be in the same stage as Phantom Dust, but in the minds of most Phantom Dust is more real, because it had a trailer for it (albeit a CG one).

Its all very much a catch 22; damned if you do, damned if you don't. Though some moves are more damning than others...having nothing to show is still worse than CG I would say.

With regard as to what constitutes a PS fan...its everything. That goes for MS too. We see games like CoD sell millions of copies, but these consoles, like their older siblings, will have a userbase that consists of tens of millions. There are all sorts of taste. There are going to be games and that are diametrically opposed to what any one person may like or find interesting. I know people who bought PS4s for the F2P games, or the indie games alone. The goal is to appeal to as many as possible. The PS fan isn't one demographic; it isn't one taste. Every game is an opportunity to pull in a gamer of some particular taste. Another reason why its folly to use E3 alone to decide what console to purchase or who wins, in my opinion. In the end, it doesn't matter if a company's pacing was great. What matters is the games they offer and how many opportunities they present for you to find a game you like. I look at all of the conferences cause they all show a part of a much bigger picture. And thats what we ought to be piecing together and basing our purchase decisions on. That larger picture includes the past, the present, and the future.

Damn... Sony is desperate not wanting to piss neogaf off whatsoever. Support what you showed, don't go back on it just because the internet didn't like it.

Vibranium

Banned

True, the Powers, Letters and Layden segments should have never been included in a show being broadcast in movie theatres. The people who all went in there did not want any of those things. They definitely could have been included in another smaller show.

That doesn't mean that people at the theatres didn't enjoy the conference though. I didn't go but it would be a fun thing to meet up with fellow fans.

Damn... Sony is desperate not wanting to piss neogaf off whatsoever. Support what you showed, don't go back on it just because the internet didn't like it.

This. I thought the segment was a nice break myself from the dilluge of games leading up to it. There is such a thing as over saturation. I doubt anyone can sit back and think up every single game from the X1 conference or even care to.

The Powers grab is actually pretty awesome considering the quality of the source material. Nice introduction of the new CEO and then It was ended with batman and uncharted. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Sony's conference was fantastic. No Mans Sky and Bloodborne alone were worth it all

KageMaru

Glad he realized that was a mistake. It really broke the flow of the conference. Hopefully next year will be only games.

Boss Mog

Personally I don't give a shit about Powers and will most likely never pay any attention to it, so for me at least it was a complete waste of conference time, but hey maybe some people really like that stuff.

Garraboa

That entire portion of the conference was a snoozefest. Who the hell thought that was a good idea, or that people would even care?

Melchiah

Glad he realized that was a mistake. It really broke the flow of the conference. Hopefully next year will be only games.

I don't think there has been a single Sony conference, that concentrated only on games, since the consoles started having media features. It doesn't bother me though, as I like to hear about that stuff as well, especially when the games still remain in the limelight.

That entire portion of the conference was a snoozefest. Who the hell thought that was a good idea, or that people would even care?

Five minutes can be a lifetime for some it seems.

Top Bottom