• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Powers part of Sony E3 conference was "a mistake"

Tookay

That part felt like a clash of egos within Sony, like some bigwig really wanted to promote his pet project against the better judgment of others.

Lol, yep. It was a wonderbook moment. The presentation was fine until that point.
And to think there were people watching this crap in movie theaters. Everything besides the games footage was a letdown.

That part felt like a clash of egos within Sony, like some bigwig really wanted to promote his pet project against the better judgment of others.
Definitely the vibe I got too.

213372bu

Banned
It was definitely the weakest part of their conference. I think Powers is interesting and will definitely check it out when it releases, but it really should only have had 2-3 minutes dedicated to it.

Meh, Powers was something I was just bored by and thought the concept was somewhat cool.

But holy shit, the new CEO actually made me want to gouge my eyes out.

I honestly think the guy went over his allotted time. But it's not like they could just cut his mic or come in and interrupt him like the Oscars, as that would look really bad and possibly sour the relationship.

Which brings up an interesting question: what should a company do if this situation arises? It seems like the best thing to do is just let the speaker finish and move on, unless they are having a mental breakdown or something. Or better yet, don't schedule anyone talking about tv or movies or other non-electronic entertainment during E3.

Meh, Powers was something I was just bored by and thought the concept was somewhat cool.

But holy shit, the new CEO actually made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Since he's the 'new guy,' they gave him the worst stuff to talk about. Then it went on waaaay too long. And the HANDS! Oh man, his gestures were all over the stage.

sjay1994

What should have been a quick mention, blew up into a 10 minute masturbation session where no ones interest in the project raised at all, because they showed concept art.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The whole conference was way too drawn out. 45 minutes of content spread thinly over 2 hours.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sony's conferences would be infinitely better if they committed in advance to topping out at 90 minutes; every year no matter whether sony has the best content or the worst content, they always have the longest and most unbearable conferences. wonderbook, sales figures, ridge racer, philosophical tangents, powers, move, the media molecule philosophical look at the distant future, it's everything. stick to a firm 90.

Kriken

Kudos for at least admitting it. Although I think the conference as a whole was too long as well, but that's for another discussion

orochi91

Since he's the 'new guy,' they gave him the worst stuff to talk about. Then it went on waaaay too long. And the HANDS! Oh man, his gestures were all over the stage.

The new CEO was way too corporate. His hand movements and manner of speech lacked
the nonchalant factor that Jack had.

Metallix87

sony's conferences would be infinitely better if they committed in advance to topping out at 90 minutes; every year no matter whether sony has the best content or the worst content, they always have the longest and most unbearable conferences. wonderbook, sales figures, ridge racer, philosophical tangents, powers, move, the media molecule philosophical look at the distant future, it's everything. stick to a firm 90.
I say they should aim as close to 60 minutes as possible.

Never put a creepy reclusive writer/developer/producer/whatever in an E3 show again. I directly relate games to developers. If they seem like the kind of person I would want to know, I'll try their game. If they seem like creepy man-children (of which there are many) I'm instantly turned off. I think Ubisoft has the right idea in hiring actors to show their games. They are aware that lead developers and producers rarely make good salesmen.

This:
0.jpg

Vs This:
images

So that was mistake #1. Mistake #2 was giving any amount of time to non-gaming content. Save that for another show another time.

pelican

The new CEO was way too corporate. His hand movements and manner of speech lacked

Yeah as a consumer of Playstation product I wasn't particularly impressed.

Still, his first E3. Lets see how he is next year before condemning him.

H1PSTER

It really, really brought down the momentum they had in the conference.

It's a gaming platform, at E3 we expect what you know we expect; the tact-on film and series can wait to be announced through other events.

Nzyme32

Shows progress that they've:

A) Acknowledged it
B) Done it so quickly

Sony's show could have easily been compressed into a punchy short sharp hour.

Agreed. Its always good to see a timely acknowledgment of issues that concern people.

However, I am fed up of both Sony and Microsoft in this regard. As much as they both want to proclaim they are all about the games, the fact of the matter is that they are and will continue to be interested in much more than that.

They should just get on with it without the preamble and allocate the times and places where they make non-videogame related content announcements to where they are sensible.

Armaros

It definitely made the already long Sony conference, feel unbearably longer even if the segment wasn't extremely long in it self.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I still can't believe people went to theaters to watch the conference.

Exactly why I decided against going out for it. I laughed so hard when the conference finished and I realized that the Theater goes had to sit through Layden's schtick ALL IN GLORIOUS SATELLITE HD. lullz

Lack of 2016 games CGs was an error.

Highly doubt all the games with CG trailers at the implied conference are 2016 games.

Agreed. I think MS found a winning format with the 90 minutes show, Sony would've have a MUCH better show if Layden and Powers and the extraneous fat had been cut and the Sony presser weighed in at a leaner 90 minutes.

Volcane

I didn't think it needed to be part of their conference at all. I don't think anyone gives a damn about it - unlike some people may be interested in the Halo TV Series.

The whole Shawn Layden part was a big downer at the Sony conference.

Short and sweet for me as well, and short absolutely does not equal nothing to show, as Nintendo to me clearly demonstrated.

Also I seriously think they need to make each showing brief, save the long ass trailers and such for afterwards on YouTube, just give us a quick look at footage after telling us it exists, so no more than a couple minutes.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I saw the teleprompter. Bendis was completely off-script for almost his entire segment and spent way more time on-stage than he was supposed to.

FirewalkR

At his first E3 as the main host, Tretton was quite nervous. Never too "corporate" I guess, though. He improved greatly in subsequent years. Nowadays I enjoyed watching him as much as Phil Harrison all those years ago.

sublimit

Banned
Never put a creepy reclusive writer/developer/producer/whatever in an E3 show again. I directly relate games to developers. If they seem like the kind of person I would want to know, I'll try their game. If they seem like creepy man-children (of which there are many) I'm instantly turned off. I think Ubisoft has the right idea in hiring actors to show their games. They are aware that lead developers and producers rarely make good salesmen.

This:
0.jpg

Vs This:
images

So that was mistake #1. Mistake #2 was giving any amount of time to non-gaming content. Save that for another show another time.

I found Ubisoft's presentation almost just as bad.That actress tried way too hard to look "edgy"
and "hardcore".The moment when she was supposedly crying was very cringeworthy.

RiggyRob

No shit Yoshida.

To be fair, he did get thrown under the bus a bit - his first time on stage, at E3, and he has to talk about the second-worst part of the conference, nonsensical metrics that nobody watching cares about. He introduced Mortal Kombat X and then got replaced by House for the applause.

Still, he still looks and acts like a 'fucking businessman'.

I saw the teleprompter. Bendis was completely off-script for almost his entire segment and spent way more time on-stage than he was supposed to.

Shades of James Cameron then.

Top Bottom