• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Powers part of Sony E3 conference was "a mistake"

I saw the teleprompter. Bendis was completely off-script for almost his entire segment and spent way more time on-stage than he was supposed to.

Woah. Really dissapointed to hear that. I don't particularly care about him as a comic writter but I didn't imagine triying to sell his work with people that care so little about it.

sony's conferences would be infinitely better if they committed in advance to topping out at 90 minutes; every year no matter whether sony has the best content or the worst content, they always have the longest and most unbearable conferences. wonderbook, sales figures, ridge racer, philosophical tangents, powers, move, the media molecule philosophical look at the distant future, it's everything. stick to a firm 90.

Yeah, having the conference stech into midnight territory for me is always disappointing. Sony really should have a time locked in and shot for that.

"Easily"?

How do you figure?
There were a shitload of games shown.

As primarily a sony gamer.... I got to say he's absolutely right. Hands down worst conference of the big 3.
Though, I don't mean to say I didn't find it worth watching, just want to make it clear Nintendo and Microsoft did it better.

Renpatsu

Not a mistake, but a huge oversight. Now a mistake would be mentioning Vib Ribbon not once, but twice within the same show and not announcing anything related to Vib Ribbon at all.

0.jpg

Did anyone else think he's make a good Kingpin?

orochi91

I saw the teleprompter. Bendis was completely off-script for almost his entire segment and spent way more time on-stage than he was supposed to.

That is unfortunate. He cost Sony quite a bit of momentum at that point in the conference.

No shit Yoshida.

Still, he still looks and acts like a 'fucking businessman'.

The way he pinched his fingers together when he would point outwards...it was maddening.

Jawmuncher

Yeah was surprised the powers think took so long. Was pretty annoying especially when they decided to cut some of the MGSV trailer to make up for time.

sjay1994

What could have been done with the 10-15 minutes used on powers.

-Could have made the order look more compelling

-Could have shown snippets of the behind closed doors preview of bloodborne

-Could have shown more indie games

-COULD HAVE SPENT SOME FUCKING TIME ON VITA

-Could have had a live match or 2 of MKX

Darmik

60 minutes is too short. 90 minutes is perfect. It's about what the length of conference would've been without the Powers part.

All that fluff about fan letters and the reminiscing about Rib Vibbon and whatever else that CEO was blabbing about before Mortal Kombat could have got the cut too. I think 60 minutes would be better. Sony really need to improve their pacing with these conferences. They let their guys babble on a bit too long. I mean do we really need a story about how this guy localized Mortal Kombat over a decade ago is now going to introduce the new one?

sublimit

Banned
COULD HAVE FUCKING ANNOUNCED GRAVITY RUSH 2

How awesome would have been if they had Toyama Keiichiro on stage to present GR2 and talk about the game?Or Hidetaka Miyazaki presenting Bloodborne?

Instead we got Bentis and Shawn Layden.

I'd include bloodborne in that, we got no new game play and know jack shit about it still.

They showed lots of gameplay afterwards.

My recollection from the announcement:

Vib Ribbon was a thing!!!

vib-ribbon.jpg

Ages later, this guy appeared.

PenguinBatman.png

"And just for you today… we have some brand new CONCEPT ART to show you!!!"

*barely two images appear on 100-foot screens*

*cough*

Schrade

Wow. Thanks for that, EviLore.

Need more reporting of things like that!

What a downer that this guy took so much time and ruin the flow of the show. You could kind of tell that he was putting shit in there that didn't need to be in there. Like naming all those names of people he's working with and whatnot.

erawsd

Why does Yoshida always apologise after the conference is over?

He talked about it on Giantbomb. Hes not involved with the directing or scheduling the conference so he has no idea what the other presentations look like, how long they are, he doesn't even know all the games that are being shown ect.

theRizzle

Shu must have got busted sleeping again and had to make an excuse for it.

I think the segment ran about twice as long as it should have, but it did look kind of interesting. And really... if they didn't put this up on stage at E3 to fully explain what it is, even less people would ever hear about it (or care about it) so I don't think it was a mistake really, just not the greatest use of their stage time.

Gogo_ZvC

How'd you sneak in?

I watched the conference in a Toronto theater and was dosing off during the Powers part and the latter portions of Layden's speech. Powers actually looked interesting, but then they had nothing to show except concept art -_- and also announced US only.

I agree it was mostly boring, I had the slight advantage of remembering the guy BMB's name and realizing he wrote a lot of my favorite graphic novels, also a friend had mentioned Powers to me in the past and said it was awesome.

Anyway, I don't understand why this ruined people's experience with the conference. If you're watching a movie and it has a boring 5 minute stretching the movie isn't ruined it just needed better editing.

Sorcerer

Powers if free for PS+ subscribers if I understood correctly.

Sony figured that "free" was going to make subscribers feel warm and fuzzy.

But at a games conference people want to hear about games.

Also that guy that had a story about Vib Ribbion, I thought he may be awkward, but shit, he is going to announce Vib Ribbion or some sequel to it for PSN. Nope!!! WTF!!!

Vespene

I think these press conferences should have a director just like a movie would. Someone who keeps polishing the message, pacing and execution all the way up to the show date. From what the execs were saying about conferences, it seems like everyone shows up less than a week before the big day with a binder full of stuff they wanna show, and everyone gets to show their stuff no matter how out of place or bad it is.

The_Monk

Indeed, it became really boring to me because I was not interested at all and even for those that were I believe it was a bit too long. Glad he is aware of that. :)

Top Bottom