• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Powers part of Sony E3 conference was "a mistake"

Yawnier

Banned
Sony seem to have a segment/part of the conference like this every E3 now. In 2012, it was the long Wonderbook demo, last year it was the Sony Pictures segment and this year it was the Powers segment.

Since I love powers, I was actually exited for that announcement, but when they started spending time showing early concept art, I was still like: "What the hell is going on here?"

Armaros

Sony seem to have a segment/part of the conference like this every E3 now. In 2012, it was the long Wonderbook demo, last year it was the Sony Pictures segment and this year it was the Powers segment.

We'll Sony does have other divisions that are into those media markets so it's logical to assume they might want to use the Playstation brand to market their other products.

Problem is that, many times it's off the mark and overstays it's welcome.

Bold One

I don't see how doing what Nintendo did would be the death of E3. Unless you mean it would be impossible to see everything being shown at the same time if all three had Treehouse-quality streams.

Axing the stage shows in favor of video presentations would probably vastly improve each company's showing, because they would have complete control over everything. No uncomfortable dead air, no gaffes, no demos crashing, no tv producer guy droning on too long, just everything going according to script.

E3 keynotes for me about the presentation, they are about the pageantry, its a unique thing, and its things like the dead air or the gaffes that make it feel real. I appreciate that, the opportunity for small Indie guys from No Man's Sky to get on stage to an amazing reception from the crowds.

There is no interaction from a live passionate audience if its just a video presentation, E3 would then loose that sense of grandeur, no more 599, no more 399 redemption reactions.

why bother when a guy can turn up with a thumb drive, presses play and thats your lot

Jomjom

Banned
Bad place to announce the Powers thing and the guy definitely went way too long, but that said, I'm really hyped about being able to watch all of season 1 for free. I've never read the comic, but the premise sounds interesting to me.

They should have just made some post somewhere (maybe PSBlog) with this news prior to E3.

I don't understand why he couldn't have seen how utterly inane such a long segment would be before it aired.

Is he really that oblivious?
I don't even think Yoshida is involved in setting up/ managing the conferences. As in coming up with the presentation segments, time allotments and all that stuff. He probably just reviews over what others already have and goes off of that.

That's what I always thought, anyway. I doubt Phil plans the entirety of MS's conferences for instance, and he's analogous to Shu for the Xbox brand.

All that said, I still think Sony had the liveliest conference of the 3. That LBP3 segment in particular was really awesome. That was a fun bunch.

Flandy

It wasn't even just Powers. they had an entire segment of just talking for like 30 minutes straight with only 2 fucking games sprinkled in between. Powers only lasted like 5 minutes of that section.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sony easily had the worst conference this year. Which is hilarious because last year they were the best.

Sony easily had the worst conference this year. Which is hilarious because last year they were the best.

Yeah but it's relative. In the grand scheme of things it was only average (far from being among the worst conferences of all time).

E3 keynotes for me about the presentation, they are about the pageantry, its a unique thing, and its things like the dead air or the gaffes that make it feel real. I appreciate that, the opportunity for small Indie guys from No Man's Sky to get on stage to an amazing reception from the crowds.

There is no interaction from a live passionate audience if its just a video presentation, E3 would then loose that sense of grandeur, no more 599, no more 399 redemption reactions.

why bother when a guy can turn up with a thumb drive, presses play and thats your lot

I get where you're coming from, but it would hardly be the end of E3.

MarionCB

Yeah, that part was dreadful to sit through - way too long. Good to see them admit it. You'd think they would have learned beforehand though with all the criticism MS got a year before for tvtvtv stuff around their reveal. It might be a nice or interesting extra to the games and hardware but it should be only a quick aside.

Melchiah

It didn't even last that long.

From 1:20:00 to 1:25:30.
http://youtu.be/ozo1EYAjkNM
That's little over 5 minutes of 1h 45min conference. Seems like an awfully lot of complaints have been made of such a small thing. They could have presented it better though, or announce it elsewhere.

Hiltz

I liked Nintendo's E3 presentation the most, but it wasn't flawless:

Issue 1) Utter lack of new 3DS software this year is a disappointment and only one new game ,albeit an original title, STEAM for 2015.

Issue 2) Wii U's only newly game coming out this year is Capt. Toad Treasure Tracker. The game looks fantastic, but we aren't getting Xenoblade Chronicles X or anything else. I assumed we'd be gettin a bit more software than what we got. T omake matters worse, Wii U's in yet another software drought for summer.

Issue 3) Announced in January 2013 in name only, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei was once again absent from E3. Fatal Frame was announced like a month before E3, but again, nothing shown for it. It's becoming a bit frustrating when Nintendo does this some times.However, I suppose Nintendo gets a bit of a pass on these titles given how they did instead show a good amount of software coming in 2015 to make up for it.

Issue 4) One of Nintendo's goals this year was to highlight how their trying to make better use of the GamePad to show why its important to their games and why we should care. I think the results were a mixed bag. They showed some fairly interested titles that sued the GamePad in different ways, but there wasn't one particular title that made you a true believer in why Nintendo remains committed to it in the first place. By the way, not all games should have to use the GamePad in a big way if it doesn't make a lot of sense to (just as it was with some Wii titles) , so titles like Smash Bros and Xenoblade Chronicles X get a pass, but one would expect Zelda too use it in a big way, so we'll see how that game uses it out by next year's E3.

Issue 5) Nintendo still remained vague on the details of Amiibo. While the figurines look pretty darn cool, they do not appear to be unlocking anything essential to the core gameplay experience of the titles they'll be supporting. I remain skeptical about other ways Nintendo will try to use it, but we do know that Amiibo will continued to be used in next-gen consoles as well.

Rvaisse

I watched the conference. I was particularly bored during this part of the presentation and yet...
I had to think 3/4minutes about it before remembering what "powers" actually is(... Or will be)

So yeah that was a mistake.

MarionCB

That's little over 5 minutes of 1h 45min conference. Seems like an awfully lot of complaints have been made of such a small thing. They could have presented it better though, or announce it elsewhere.

I'm surprised it was that short, but however long in objective time, it felt to me like an eternity in relative time.

Five and a half minutes talking without showing much of anything is way too long, especially since it was just some tv show crap. In comparison something like the MGS V: Phantom Pain trailer was the same length but was non-stop in-engine cut-scenes. And that's Metal Gear F'n Solid, one of the top-tier games to appear at the show. Likewise Microsoft's Witcher 3 demo was about 5 minutes, and that was entirely game play. The guy spent more time talking about a tv show with some crap concept art than we saw of Witcher 3 on stage.

To me it wasn't just the Powers section; everything after No Man's Sky felt much more slowly paced than everything that came before it.

The 'Fan Letter' section was painfully forced, but at least it was about games.

Chris R

Microsoft had a better conference than Sony.

At least Sony had better stuff to show than Ubi/EA/ect even with the bullshit "fan" letters and Power segments.

And Nintendo doesn't count, they didn't hold a show :p

Armaros

5 mins is still too long for a conference that Sony was hyping to the point of showing in theaters. And for the fact that Sony already had the longest conference by far.

Imagine sitting in a theater and having to watch the Powers section and the Bendis monologue that lasted way too long.

Chris R

5 mins is still too long for a conference that Sony was hyping to the point of showing in theaters.

Imagine sitting in a theater and having to watch the Powers section and the Bendis monologue that lasted way too long.

I was in a theater. I'd say half of the people in attendance clapped when he got off the stage.

Hiltz

So I wonder why they chose to cover that longer than freaking Bloodborne or any other hyped games...

That was Sony's most interesting title they showed at E3, at least to me. However, it wasn't much of a surprise announcement. After all, it was leaked before E3. We even know it was being made by From Software and the glimpse of footage made it pretty obvious that it was a sequel or a spiritual successor to Dark Souls.

Arondight

I don't even think Yoshida is involved in setting up/ managing the conferences. As in coming up with the presentation segments, time allotments and all that stuff. He probably just reviews over what others already have and goes off of that.

That's what I always thought, anyway. I doubt Phil plans the entirety of MS's conferences for instance, and he's analogous to Shu for the Xbox brand.

All that said, I still think Sony had the liveliest conference of the 3. That LBP3 segment in particular was really awesome. That was a fun bunch.

That was the best section. They might not have played it really well but first announcement ever that was a surprise and being played live? Felt really good watching it. Sony needs more of these type of announcements.

Banned
In Sony's defence, what were they supposed to show in that segment? Vita games? Lol. The Last Guardian? Non-existent. Sony Santa Monica's cancelled new IP?

;)

Why does Yoshida always apologise after the conference is over?

People claim when companies don't appoligies, you are complaining that they are apologizing.

I doubt Sony went into the press conference thinking their conference would be terrible, so apologizing before it would be ridiculous don't you think?

Crayolan

It's all good so long as they learn from this mistake. The only time I care about non-game related stuff at E3 is when new hardware is being introduced.

mo60

I wanted to fall asleep during the media section of sony's conference because it was way to long and at least he admitted that sony made a mistake during the e3 conference.

Caayn

In Sony's defence, what were they supposed to show in that segment? Vita games? Lol. The Last Guardian? Non-existent. Sony Santa Monica's cancelled new IP?

;)
Showing nothing and make the show 5 mins shorter would've been a welcome alternative. The powers section didn't belong at E3.

Top Bottom