• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Shadow of the Colossus On PS4 Is A Remake Not A Remaster

We didn't see a ton of Shadow of the Colossus footage, but it seemed like a remaster to me. I understand why it's complicated though. We've been sold many minimal-effort ports over the years under the "remaster" label, so getting ones that put in more time and effort actually remastering the assets become confusing to place. I think if your new release is still essentially using the same design and direction as the original "master" copy, I'm probably going to see it as a remaster regardless of how many of the assets have changed.

Shu knows more about the project than we do though, so maybe the differences run much deeper than what we've been shown. We'll see eventually either way. Once the game comes out, people will no doubt be comparing the versions very closely. Once it's in people's hands, it'll become pretty easy to determine if they really worked from scratch or if they've polished up and remixed a prior version.

Still holding out hope that Shu is trying to use some technicality by saying the game is the same, because it will be, but THEN we added one colossus. Just a little bit so I'm not majorly disappointed.

But I could see them holding that back for a PSX trailer with a release date and the stinger being a glimpse at a colossus we don't recognize.

Instro

Is Ocarina of Time 3D considered a remake or a remaster?

It's largely the same engine(I think?) with improvements, that would be a remaster to me. Admittedly it probably falls a bit in between though because they did quite a bit of visual work on that game.

Suprised people are struggling with this though. New engine, it's a remake. Same engine with visual tweaks(resolution, etc.) then it's a remaster.

arigato

Don't get me wrong, Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time, but if it's just the same game content-wise...just...why? Seems like such a weird thing. I figured they were going to add some of the cut Colossi, but apparently not. This one really baffles me.
Adding some of the cut Colossi would've been indeed awesome. But we're in the worst timeline where Knack 2 gets greenlit meanwhile Prey 2 plus Star Wars 1313 became cancelled.

Dice//

Banned
Hopefully with less "wet noodle grip" than the PS3 remaster.

And c'mon...just add OOOOONE moooore colossus. JUST ONE. :(

Surely they have to change the code for the new control scheme, the updated controls are not part of the original code so they have to change that.

_Ryo_

That video actually just shows how similar the gameplay and animations are, again suggesting that they're just changing the graphics completely but not touching the underlying code.

It's a faithful remake. Everything is being remade from scratch but they are meticulously making it look the same as the original.

This thread reminds me of the "Bloodborne isn't a New IP!" ones we had a couple years ago. People throwing tantrums over the definitions of terms and trying to redefine them because they just have to try and downplay a videogame.

Funny thing is, remaster wasn't even a term we related to videogames a few years ago, yet now it has a very strict definition according to some. This is all Druckmann's fault.

Surely they have to change the code for the new control scheme, the updated controls are not part of the original code so they have to change that.
We'll be able to test for sure when the game comes out, but by not touching the original code I mean they're not rewriting it from scratch, as this person seems to think they're doing:
It's a faithful remake. Everything is being remade from scratch but they are meticulously making it look the same as the original.
So meticulous they literally have 1:1 framing on the camera angles and animations. :lol

Fury451

Banned
Why is this such a complicated topic?

You see the trailer. You look at it. You recognize it's a remake. There you go.

Unless you closed your eyes, there was no other rational train of thought.

People expect a remake to have new or different content, and then the game will get shredded by those fans for not being the exact same as the original. So overhauling on controls and graphics is only a remaster I guess.

This is largely a semantics based on personal definition issue; to me, it's a remake.

We'll be able to test for sure when the game comes out, but by not touching the original code I mean they're not rewriting it from scratch, as this person seems to think they're doing:

So meticulous they literally have 1:1 framing on the camera angles and animations. :lol
We don't need to test anything the quote quite clearly says they are adding new controls as well as including the old ones this requires changing the code.

killatopak

Gold Member
I only got to the water boss back when I played it on the PS2.

Very excited to hear it's a remake. Day One.

Until then please avoid spoiling the game gaf.

"so we're working on implementing a more modernized way to play. And of course you can play with a feel of the original version"

Fixing the controls, eh?
I might buy the game now.

Trying to ride that horse was as enjoyable as riding a bicycle shaped like a fuck busted 3 wheeled lopsided piano.

Man, seeing people talking out of their ass and hiding behind the "opinion" thing on the internet already irritates me but seeing people looking at a game where literally every asset has been REMADE and refusing to acknowledge it as a remake is just some next level absurdity.

Alienous

We don't need to test anything the quote quite clearly says they are adding new controls as well as including the old ones this requires changing the code.

Any port requires 'changing the code'. Same goes for remasters. But Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance doesn't become a remake just because you got it working on different architecture (i.e. PS2 to Xbox). The Nathan Drake Collection isn't a remake, despite changes made to the 'code' (i.e. control options).

That's a key difference between remasters and remakes, to me. Remakes don't build on the existing 'code', tweaking and modifying it - it's a new project entirely, using the original as a guideline.

HeeHo

Honestly, the minimum bar for me on what I consider a remake is overhauled graphics and some modern quality of life improvements.

Either way, there doesn't seem to be hard definition of what a remake is as opposed to a remaster so it doesn't really bother me.

Any port requires 'changing the code'. Same goes for remasters. But Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance doesn't become a remake just because you got it working on different architecture (i.e. PS2 to Xbox). The Nathan Drake Collection isn't a remake, despite changes made to the 'code' (i.e. control options).

That's a key difference between remasters and remakes, to me. Remakes don't build on the existing 'code', tweaking and modifying it - it's a new project entirely, using the original as a guideline.

Can't believe this thread is still a remake vs remaster debate. I've noticed your posts and it seems like you are one of the very few who gets it.

And people still come in here and say: "No, it is a REMAKE, you don't get it! You don't even know what a remake is." And all I can do now is roll my eyes.

Just a word of advice, don't try to convince the majority of people, that they are wrong. :)

Are we expecting this to be $40 or $60? It seems like they're putting in a ton of work.
This game is legit worth 300 to me I'd spend that much on such a great looking remake the number of hours I spent in this game just wandering around lol this will be my default go to game all over again just like on ps2

Gravidee

I dropped the remaster because the controls were so floppy and the 11th colossi was being such a dick. Hopefully those two issues will be fixed with the remake.

This is just not true Skyrim uses an upgraded engine that was used on Oblivion and that's a sequel and there is a lot of code reused. Now I Am by no means saying this on the same level of changes but there are clear stated changes so it's a remake because they are remaking the controls it's clearly stated in the OP.

Alienous

Man, seeing people talking out of their ass and hiding behind the "opinion" thing on the internet already irritates me but seeing people looking at a game where literally every asset has been REMADE and refusing to acknowledge it as a remake is just some next level absurdity.

Modern Warfare: Remastered was considered a remaster by Activsion, and that remade 'literally every asset'. This isn't some settled debate - there is room for opinion. My opinion is that SotC PS4 isn't a remake. That it's a remaster, by the definition of what 'remastering' is - "enhancing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created [works]", i.e. re-recording instruments to modern-day standards for the re-release of a song. But in video-games that translates to recreating assets, like textures, geometry and effects.

Honey Bunny

It's definitely a game that has aged well and will do well for them on PS4, but goodness I wish they'd remastered remade re-released something that hasn't been already.

Horp

REMASTER - The same game, same assets, higher resolution/framerate
REMAKE - The same game, new assets, higher resolution/framerate
RE-IMAGINING - New game, based on the original concept. New everything.

Yes, this is a remake, and has been clear from the start.

These are some BS descriptions.
Let me fix that you:

PORT - The same game, same assets, higher resolution/framerate

REMASTER - The same game, new assets (mainly higher texture/mesh resolution), higher quality animations (mainly higher animation frame rate), higher resolution/framerate (IE. Same game, just with increased visual quality.)

REMAKE - A remake of the game. It's in the word. The game has been re-made. Made again. Remake. It's in the fucking word. In this case it's made as true to the original as modern gaming allows (this is of course a sensitive issue).

RE-IMAGINING - New game, based on the original concept. New everything. Intentionally different from the original game.

Many of the colossi were cut because they weren't fun to play. I'd love for new ones to be put into the game, but not without colossal improvements if they simply weren't fun.

Kinyou

My question would be if it's completely rebuild or if they're building upon the old foundation.

Like did they put high quality textures etc. on the old models or did they make them from the ground up. The latter is what I'd qualify as remake.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for remakes of classic PS1 and PS2 games. Remasters and ports not so much. Upon watching Crash and Colossus, they seem like really well made remakes to me. Crash more so.

Modern Warfare: Remastered was considered a remaster by Activsion, and that remade 'literally every asset'. This isn't some settled debate - there is room for opinion. My opinion is that SotC PS4 isn't a remake. That it's a remaster, by the definition of what 'remastering' is - "enhancing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created [works]", i.e. re-recording instruments to modern-day standards for the re-release of a song. But in video-games that translates to recreating assets, like textures and effects.

Just because a company like Activision wants to use a term that is popular these days to promote their game doesn't change what the term remake means. The LITERAL definition of the word is to make something again.

Remasters take original assets and improve them, they aren't being remade. A remake remakes the darn assets, that's not an enhancement of what's there, it's literally a remake. This is the only medium where people seem to think there is some sort of wiggle room here for a term that is strictly defined by the friggin dictionary.

I have never once seen someone look at a remake of an old movie and call it a remaster because that would be fucking stupid.

Kinyou

Just because a company like Activision wants to use a term that is popular these days to promote their game doesn't change what the term remake means. The LITERAL definition of the word is to make something again.

Remasters take original assets and improve them, they aren't being remade. A remake remakes the darn assets, that's not an enhancement of what's there, it's literally a remake. This is the only medium where people seem to think there is some sort of wiggle room here for a term that is strictly defined by the friggin dictionary.

I have never once seen someone look at a remake of an old movie and call it a remaster because that would be fucking stupid.
If you could somehow shoot star wars again, with the same actors (not aged), same dialogue, same everything, just prettier, I'd imagine there'd actually be a discussion like that in the movie community.

killatopak

Gold Member
Let me fix that you:

REMASTER - The same game, new assets (mainly higher texture/mesh resolution), higher quality animations (mainly higher animation frame rate), higher resolution/framerate (IE. Same game, just with increased visual quality.)

REMAKE - A remake of the game. It's in the word. The game has been re-made. Made again. Remake. It's in the fucking word. In this case it's made as true to the original as modern gaming allows (this is of course a sensitive issue).

RE-IMAGINING - New game, based on the original concept. New everything. Intentionally different from the original game.

A port can be a downgrade as well you know.

Let me fix that you:

This.

I think a lot of people use "remake" to mean either remake or re-imagining, which is why this always gets so confusing.

Crash Bandicoot N' Sane Trilogy is comprised of remakes of the original PS1 games.

Punch-Out!! on Wii is a re-imagining of Punch-Out!! on NES.

Rurunaki

I don't buy the "same" content comment. Crash Remake had Coco playable. SotC should have at least a few more colossi (please please please..)

Top Bottom