• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - a new Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays (S2 full trailer is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ment it more in the sense if you're not into the silicon valley culture. Reading things like ValleyWag, techcrunch and the like for fun. Not that you don't like tech. Its less about the actual tech but the culture and mindset that pervades these places. The sense of importance, revolutionary mindset, the sense they are the future of humanity, etc those are all the ideas Judge is poking fun at.

or I could just not find it funny

Man, that was shit. It sometimes managed to find the right things to poke fun at in terms of tech culture, but the execution was pretty awful.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wonder how they are planning on dealing with Christopher Evan Welch's death.

Good first ep.

Not really a spoiler:
Mike Judge implied it wouldn't impact the overall story, but some scenes did require rewriting.

Cartman86

Banned
Loved it. Was worried it would miss the mark or be sunshine and rainbows. It hit a lot of the bullshit perfectly and was tech accurate enough to not be annoying.

Tucah

you speak so well
I thought it was okay. Got a couple laughs out of me and the cast is pretty great so far but I really don't like the main dude. I'll stick with it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This shit was A+++

Kid Rock with the fuck these people
HTML shirt
Jobs as a poser pissing him off
Smart Car
Doctor

Fucking A++++++

Zolf

I thought it was pretty funny, accurate enough, and the tech stuff wasn't insultingly dumb. Will definitely continue watching.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I liked it, it was pretty decent. Hopefully it doesn't just stay like the pilot and picks up like all good shows eventually do.

I really like the fact that it doesn't treat the audience like a retard and expects you to have at least some knowledge of the software world.

All in all, it seems funny and I'm curious to see where they go from here.

( That herd of programmers joke was effing hilarious and a little bit true.)

I thought the dude who owned the house would be a dick at the end but I really liked that scene

Good pilot. Surprisingly enjoyed it more than veep today though that might be because of the novelty of this being new

Vert boil

I'll give it a few more episodes but the first episode was pretty lacklustre. I'd rather have watched an episode of Betas or even thirty minutes of The Internship than that pilot.

Linius

I liked the pilot. Really like the set designs, especially how they made Hooli look. It's what you expect at these Silicon Valley companies. Also little details like Porters car and the shoes Belson was wearing during that telephone conversation. The characters seem fun so far, hopefully we'll learn some more about them in future episodes. I'm looking forward to more.

Tom_Cody

I really enjoyed it a lot. The promos looked appealing to me but I didn't know what exactly to expect from it. I was really surprised at how funny it was and at the pace of the laughs. Mike Judge stuff can sometimes be a slow burn but this was really non-stop laughs.

The story presented in the pilot was appealing but it was basically just the setup to the series presented in all of the trailers. I'm also kind of interested in the characters. The real appeal was the tone, the setting, and the humor though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I will definitely keep up with this show. Some decent laughs but just in general I found it to be really enjoyable and I want to see how it turns out for these guys.

Except Erlich, fuck that guy.

Chairhome

I enjoyed it. I feel like this is the Big Bang Theory for me. BBT doesn't really appeal to me in the way they approach "geek culture", but the humor in this really worked for me. My wife watched it with me and she said "I don't think this is for me..." but she still thought some of it was funny.

I'll be watching!

Blader

It was alright. I don't think I laughed at all, but the Hoolie commercial was pretty amusing. I'll check out a second episode.

Sharp

While watching it I thought it was pretty dead-on technically, but afterwards I got to thinking about the actual premise and it's kind of absurd. Significantly improved (2x or more) lossless compression that works on all sorts of different media types at high speeds? I could maybe buy that there could be such an algorithm for music specifically, but at the end he says,"right now it just does audio but I'm thinking of ways to compress images, video...." Really? That's basically starting from scratch, unlikely to be possible, and if it is it's going to require advanced mathematics and tons of data points to get there, not just guessing right with a hash function. Unless the rest of the series is about him failing spectacularly at actually getting it to work, which would be kind of fun but probably not work for a multiseries television show.

(Sorry, hate to be that guy, but someone has to).

I thought it was funny. Not insanely funny or anything but I laughed a buncha times and it seems like there is a lot of comedy to get out of this. Oh and Mike Judge.

Leunam

Best premiere of the night for me, and I wasn't even following this at all before. Now I'm really looking forward to next week.

It was a good start, definitely worth continuing to see where it goes. The packs of programmers joke was the biggest laugh of the evening.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty good, but not great. Richard is just too pathetic/awkward for me. Too many of the supporting characters are just a bit too much of a caricature where the subtlety is lost so it just feels like a intelligently written version of The Big Bang Theory. I'll definitely keep watching though because HBO has never steered me wrong, but I hope exaggerations are toned down a bit.

antipode

While watching it I thought it was pretty dead-on technically, but afterwards I got to thinking about the actual premise and it's kind of absurd. Significantly improved (2x or more) lossless compression that works on all sorts of different media types at high speeds? I could maybe buy that there could be such an algorithm for music specifically, but at the end he says,"right now it just does audio but I'm thinking of ways to compress images, video...." Really? That's basically starting from scratch, unlikely to be possible, and if it is it's going to require advanced mathematics and tons of data points to get there, not just guessing right with a hash function. Unless the rest of the series is about him failing spectacularly at actually getting it to work, which would be kind of fun but probably not work for a multiseries television show.

(Sorry, hate to be that guy, but someone has to).

Probably what was unrealistic was that a non-academic, working part-time on the problem, could make a major advance.

But the general idea that there could be a major advance in lossless compression, that also has an impact on search, is sound. Compression as a field is still undergoing huge advances because it is closely related to machine learning. The most recent algorithms are related to figure out the "context" around a section of data and picking the correct approach to representing it. Given that machine learning is also evolving very quickly - It could be possible, in the show's universe, that the character built on other people's advances and applied them to compression....

Wasn't hilarious but fairly entertaining. Funniest bit for me was the guy talking about the Asperger's dating site and how the one chick couldn't even make eye contact with the camera.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Loved it. Was worried it would miss the mark or be sunshine and rainbows. It hit a lot of the bullshit perfectly and was tech accurate enough to not be annoying.

the whole compression algorithm of the century accidental breakthrough thing is distractingly far-fetched.

but i still enjoyed the episode, ill continue watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom