• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City is now down, the maintenance message is amazing

Lol! So you can't afford new games and have to wait until they're cheap to buy them? Don't you feel a bit left out when everyone else is enjoying a new game and you're sat looking at your $30 waiting for the sales? Poor Adam. No wonder you feel so angry at those silly Day 1 gamers.

Newsflash buddy: You're sitting out with us because EA is forcing you to. Joke's on you.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
e1A8qeL.png

Ok. This one made me laugh.

This is the future of video games folks.

Always-Online DRM.

This will result in severe backlash. I have faith in consumers to have some kind of a breaking point, otherwise we're all doomed.

EA needs to go out of business or acquire new management made up of humans instead of douchebags.

Branduil

Social networking.

Diablo III was more enjoyable to me because of the Battle.net integration, people being able to jump into your games, you jump into theirs, chatting in the middle of a single player game, etc.

Even if the option to play Diablo III offline was given, I would have played 100% online, anyway. Even when I was playing by myself.

That's fine if it's optional. It should never be mandatory.

Darkkn

Glad i pulled the trigger on Tomb Raider instead of this. City size limitations was the reason at the time, but managed to also avoid this online mess.

StevieP

Banned
This will result in severe backlash. I have faith in consumers to have some kind of a breaking point, otherwise we're all doomed.

EA needs to go out of business or acquire new management made up of humans instead of douchebags.

It will have backlash at first, but I'd say it's an inevitability. Unfortunately.

EA servers at launch ALWAYS suck. I said this would happen many times over lol. BTW, game is good if anyone is on the fence. Server issues will be worked out soon enough

GavinGT

Banned
Is it just me or does the wording of his comment suggest it wasn't a large issue until it affected him personally?

It's just a joke.

The 140 character limit on Twitter tends to make people sound like jerks since they don't have the character real estate to be tactful.

If this game sells well (and it seems to be selling just fine), then other publishers are going to follow suit. The only way to prevent this from happening is to send a clear message that consumers absolutely won't buy any game with always-online DRM. It's a shame that gamers don't seem to have any self-control/foresight.

mrplaid

I don't feel bad about not being able to play the new Sim City now. Kinda hate that I still want to buy it after all this shit.

Grief.exe

Having trust in video game consumers?

Some of these guys are comparable to crack addicts.

They know the purchase will be unsatisfying and potentially harmful to the industry as a whole, but they do it anyways, sight unseen.

Then complain about it on forums.

Like that one time Error 37 stopped people from playing Diablo III for days on end and then it sold over 12 million copies...fuck...

I hope that each of these companies gets one opportunity for that massive of a fuck up, and then loses lots of consumer goodwill.

I guarantee you that Diablo IV will not sell as well as III did, and EA may have killed SimCity with this move.

I know the average consumer is an idiot, and will just lap up whatever anti-consumer bullshit is forced down on them, but I hope they're not stupid enough to just keep letting things get worse and worse.

And yes, I'm sadly aware that there's plenty of evidence to show that people will just keep letting them get away with this bullshit.

I'm trying really hard to be optimistic.

Ugh. I was going to get my Mum this for Mother's Day. I'm not sure she'd care for this stuff.
And some people want to move to the Cloud lol

Shes still playing Tropico so its not a big loss.

It'll probably be fixed by the time Mother's Day rolls around anyways. I'll be picking the game up once the initial rush has died down and I bet I'll be just fine.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have no pity for Day 1 gamers anymore. They deserve all the bullshit they have to endure.

I appreciate them though, because by the time I buy the game at 30 dollars, they have found most the bugs and worked out all the server issues.

LOL. I was a day one buyer for Sim City, but I agree. This crap comes with the territory now. In a few days things will be better and in a couple of weeks it will be all forgotten.

Oppo

I have no pity for Day 1 gamers anymore. They deserve all the bullshit they have to endure.

I appreciate them though, because by the time I buy the game at 30 dollars, they have found most the bugs and worked out all the server issues.

It's one thing to say we shouldn't be surprised, cynically..

but quite another to blame players for a botched launch. the fuck is wrong with you, dude?

dorkimoe

Going to be curious if games keep going this way..what is going to hurt the sales more... making a game with no DRM and accepting that people will pirate it or making a game with some of the worst DRM ever and pissing everyone off to where it stops people from buying it and supporting it in the future

DaBuddaDa

Just close your eyes and imagine every release date to be one month later than it actually is. That way, servers will be functioning and you'll end up paying $20 less! Can't lose!

Sim City, one of my probably top 3 favorite gaming memories as a child has been ripped to shreds by this bullshit. Utterly soul-crushing. I sincerely hope the game bombs.

LiK

It's going to be delicious when the servers are back 'on' and everyone's lost everything

Already happened. Some dudes I follow got kicked off for an error and when they logged back in, their entire city is gone. Game is broken.

Like that one time Error 37 stopped people from playing Diablo III for days on end and then it sold over 12 million copies...fuck...

Yeah, this will still sell well. Although people should know to just wait on games wih the always online feature. Diablo 3 was good for something.

Partition

Banned
I just can't even wrap my head around the fact that SimCity is basically functioning like an MMO. EA truly deserves all the hate in the world that it gets, because this forced multiplayer bullshit obviously doesn't make sense at all. I hope someone finds a way to sue them.

Sim City, one of my probably top 3 favorite gaming memories as a child has been ripped to shreds by this bullshit. Utterly soul-crushing. I sincerely hope the game bombs.

It won't, because there is a big section of the gaming community who are seriously masochistic and are willing to swallowq any bullshit EA or publishers like them choose to spoon feed them.

Revven

It's a sad day when tons of people spent $60 and now can't play the game on day 2 of its release.

On the other hand, it's good to see Always-on DRM bullshit continuing to show people why it's a bad practice and needs to be axed completely.

Vote with your wallets people. I ain't going anywhere near this game.

sp3000

Yeah this is going to be a best seller anyway. Just look at Diablo 3. By and large, consumers really don't care.

You should get used to it cause the future of gaming is going this route. The game is pretty good tbh (when it's working I mean lol)

Vortex566

This is the future of video games folks.

Always-Online DRM.

This kind of thing is only going to become more and more common. It's sad because it does not need to be like this. I have no problem with a game being always online, but please sort out the infrastructure first. They must have known that this was going to be a popular game, but yet people are still having problems.

Top Bottom