• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City is now down, the maintenance message is amazing

Gnub

Get home yesterday to play servers blow up. Come home early today thinking that everyone will be at work and servers are down....

Savitar

I wanted to believe.

Sadly the small city sizes and now this kinda shows that I'll pass on this, ah well, Simcity 4 works on my computer well enough on Steam if nothing else!

ToxicAdam

It's one thing to say we shouldn't be surprised, cynically..

but quite another to blame players for a botched launch. the fuck is wrong with you, dude?

I'm not blaming them, I said I have no pity for them. Because every major release has huge problems nowadays. Game crashing bugs, balance issues, server crashes and on and on. If they can't learn from history, then why should I feel sorry for them?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A friend of mine just got kicked out of his game due to "server maintenance", and the game auto shutdown. The best part? EA doesn't seem to know when it's coming back up! Check out the awesome message!

QOzldBt.jpg

Embrace your always on DRM!!!

Anyone supporting this deserves it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It won't, because there is a big section of the gaming community who are seriously masochistic and are willing to swallowq any bullshit EA or publishers like them choose to spoon feed them.

There's also some of us who just wanted a new Sim City and decided to put up with all the bullshit that came with it. I certainly have no interest in defending EA's bullshit but even a disappointing Sim City is better than no Sim City.

I have absolutely no sympathy for those players affected by this. You are the ones supporting these practices and this is what you deserve.

I don't really agree with this assessment. It's entirely possible that some people just generally haven't noticed such problems in the past, or that they object to such DRM-practices but are still willing to spend full price in spite of the objection because they simply want to play the game and support the team that made it. That's not to say that everyone should do that by any stretch, but I really don't agree with this "they're part of the problem and are getting their comeuppance" analysis. They're just fans of a series that really wanted to play the game. It sucks for them that they can't.

Where are all the always online apologists now?

Certainly not busy playing Sim City.

Waiting for my game to unlock.

I'm not actually an always online apologist, I just don't mind a rebooting SimCity into an online game, if you wanna call it "DRM" that's up to you.

It's a sad day when tons of people spent $60 and now can't play the game on day 2 of its release.

On the other hand, it's good to see Always-on DRM bullshit continuing to show people why it's a bad practice and needs to be axed completely.

Vote with your wallets people. I ain't going anywhere near this game.

Unfortunately, people are voting with their wallets and giving consent to always-online DRM. People who buy games like this will only have themselves to blame when this is a widespread practice.

Acheron

Banned
Yeah this is going to be a best seller anyway. Just look at Diablo 3. By and large, consumers really don't care.

SimCity games are strong as long-tail titles, they aren't instant smashes. Thus consumer backlash is more impactful than a "Day 1" title.

Unfortunately, people are voting with their wallets and giving consent to always-online DRM. People who buy games like this will only have themselves to blame when this is a widespread practice.

I made the mistake with Diablo III, and I'm not making it again. If a game is online only (without it being an MMO, of course) they aren't getting my money.

There's also some of us who just wanted a new Sim City and decided to put up with all the bullshit that came with it. I certainly have no interest in defending EA's bullshit but even a disappointing Sim City is better than no Sim City.

So your uncontrollable desire for a new Sim City game is contributing to a trend that will see me miss out on playing games that I want to play because of this very same crap?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I have absolutely no sympathy for those players affected by this. You are the ones supporting these practices and this is what you deserve.

This.

I would never ever spend my money for an always online game. Never. It´s also the reason i will abandon MS and their xbox brand next gen and switch to Sony.

Yeah this is going to be a best seller anyway. Just look at Diablo 3. By and large, consumers really don't care.
This was probably a very expensive game, who knows what their expectations are. If a poor reception hurts their chances by even a few hundred thousand, then it might swing the game from being a huge success to a middling one.

The core thing is that they get the message.
While Junior is on his way out, he did get me thinking about something:

Would it be illegal to buy the game legally, and then play it on a private server?
Who fucking cares if you bought it you should be able to do what you want with it, short of actually distributing illegal copies.

https://twitter.com/TommyRefenes/status/309160313121566722

If this game was just called 'Simcity Online' instead of parading as a reboot, I think at least expectations would've been set correctly.

That being said, is anyone else finding it incredibly difficult to actually play with a group of friends online? Everyone has to agree on a server ahead of time, deal with Queue Roulette to get into said server, then one person has to create a region, then get back into the main menu to get into a screen to invite players into that region (but you can only invite to that region AFTER your friends have already gotten into SimCity, onto your server, and played beyond the tutorial, but you better hope you catch them before they start making a city of their own or they won't want to join your region).

Inviting friends just seems so messy and to think that that is the FOCUS of this game is what confuses me the most.

Prezhulio

diablo 3 burned me on launch week, so i chose not to pre-order this, dispite sim city being up there with civ and diablo as franchises i love dearly. looks like i chose....wisely.

but, someone said they got it for $30 from amazon??? when the f did that happen? i thought i saw $20 rebate deals at one point, but it's a $60 game, no?

Everdred

I'll admit, I purchased the game, but mostly for my fiancee. She plays games like this (Tropico, Cities XL) and the Sims like crazy. At least I got it for basically $35. Thanks Amazon!

And just like every other game, wait a week and most of this will probably be sorted out.

Old games aren't graphically impressive? Better tell GOG to shut it all down then.
You gotta understand that I had no idea what Sim City 2000 looked like and was expecting something a little more than Sega Genesis visuals.

I was expecting something along the lines of Sim City 4, which I may actually pick up now.

That would be the same exact game without the always online DRM. Not really kickstarter worthy.

So it wouldn't be the same game. You should inform yourself on what SimCity actually is.

SimCity games are strong as long-tail titles, they aren't instant smashes. Thus consumer backlash is more impactful than a "Day 1" title.

Or it won't matter at all cause like you said, they are long-tail titles and these launch issues will be dealt with.

This is just business leave the poor investors alone!!!

Also EA should just create a "Buy server slot" or "Gold Server" for true passionate fans that support the devs. The rest of you are just cheap and entitled elitists.

So your uncontrollable desire for a new Sim City game is contributing to a trend that will see me miss out on playing games that I want to play because of this very same crap?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Suffice to say, I really think this kind of analysis is counterproductive. I'm all for advocating against anti-consumer practices. But I don't think we need to draw lines in the sand and declare that you're either part of the problem, or you're part of the solution. We all have our priorities when it comes to making purchasing decisions, and it's rather silly to get on our high horses and act like the stuff I care about most is the stuff you should care about most.

I think it would be great if companies stopped doing this. And perhaps consumers should think twice before supporting it. But if other criteria trumps "I wish it didn't have this kind of DRM," then so be it. Reacting in an indignant fashion as though it's a personal affront to your ideals is silly.

Cru Jones

Looks like EA learned nothing from the cluster fuck that was Diablo 3 at launch.

Not surprised at all.

What could they really learn? They are different companies and wouldn't have intimate details on exactly what went wrong and how it was fixed. Not to mention they've built up proprietary systems for the game and the commerce engine.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
I don't really care about this game, but it sounds like at this point you would probably have an easier and maybe even more convenient time just pirating it instead of buying.

This just encourages piracy.

Top Bottom