• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity offline mode is FINALLY coming

Garcia

I never thought the day would come when our home computers would be as powerful as EA's SimCity Cloud Servers™.

LOL.

It's a shame not even Offline could actually fix this game. At least it might allow some heavy modding afterwards, unless I'm missing something here.

Did anyone expect Gies to respond any other way? As soon as I heard about the offline patch I thought of him and knew he wouldn't even have an "Okay, but..." response, just total dismissal.

It isn't in his perception of himself to be wrong. It's cognitive dissonance. And he doesn't relieve it by adjusting his sense of self, he relieves it by adapting his perception of the world to his sense of self.

It's not so wierd and strange when it's actually clever and creative, but antagonistic tweets sent out at strangers is definitely not normal behavior.

Being clever and creative takes even more effort and puts the person even further away from "moving on with their life."

What's your point again? It might be time for you to move on with your life.

Never thought I'd live to see a day... :)

wb0SzfF.png

Of course not admitting any fault. I would not expect anything else. It probably is because they now had many months to work on it.

Within weeks of launch people figured out how to delete a single line of code that enabled offline play. I'm pretty sure it was found before that tweet.

There is literally a line of code that says "If internet is lost for 20 minutes, then disable play" and deleting it is all that is needed to allow the game to work offline in perpetuity with no loss of functionality.

For a guy so obviously pro-online, you'd think he'd have a better understanding of how the internet works. It'll rip liars apart as shamelessly and publicly as possible.

As someone who finds employment in cultivating a base of readers who are interested in the information he produces and are willing to keep coming back for more, you would think he'd have a better understanding of not being dismissive of his readers, being dishonest, and then doubling down on that dishonesty.

Within weeks of launch people figured out how to delete a single line of code that enabled offline play. I'm pretty sure it was found before that tweet.

There is literally a line of code that says "If internet is lost for 20 minutes, then disable play" and deleting it is all that is needed to allow the game to work offline in perpetuity with no loss of functionality.

I remember it being found within a day that tweet was made. Good times.

SummitAve

Banned
Being clever and creative takes even more effort and puts the person even further away from "moving on with their life."

What's your point again? It might be time for you to move on with your life.

You're right. I'm going to get back to firing tweets out left and right in hopes to get a reaction, or better yet, a retweet. I don't have real friends to talk shit with so I'm going straight to the source in the most offensive ways possible because I think they will like to read my contribution. It's essentially my hobby to put people down for attention. Humour and being funny is not important either, I just live for the retweet.

judhudson

While it did allow for offline play, it wouldn't save. I don't know if they (modders) fixed that or not, but it did show it was possible to play the game without being online.

Ah, I still remember the GetFudgedPopulation line of code, hahaha

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Honestly wasn't expecting this, I'd missed the October 'announcement' that they were looking into it.

Kind of crazy for it to hit so late in the game's lifecycle (which admittedly, was affected by other factors as well). Wonder if plus size mods will help with the game's legs.

Also, lol @ the Gies tweet making a comeback.

You're right. I'm going to get back to firing tweets out left and right in hopes to get a reaction, or better yet, a retweet. I don't have real friends to talk shit with so I'm going straight to the source in the most offensive ways possible because I think they will like to read my contribution. It's essentially my hobby to put people down for attention. Humour and being funny is not important either, I just live for the retweet.

bud seems to be getting more laughs than you are at the moment, good luck with your tweets!

Armaros

While it did allow for offline play, it wouldn't save. I don't know if they (modders) fixed that or not, but it did show it was possible to play the game without being online.

Ah, I still remember the GetFudgedPopulation line of code, hahaha

Not being able to save is a massive difference compared to what EA was saying at the time, that 'complex server calculations' required it to be online only.

rvy

Banned
Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 39 m

@dreffen if they're changing mechanics/the game's technical issues get fixed ... possibly?

He's squirming so badly, lol.

Cody ‏@fangbreaker 9 m

@Bendilin @dreffe keep in mind that @aegies is a man that works for Suicide Girls but also thinks cartoon boobs are sexist

lol, oh my God.

Pretty funny that you would accuse the guy of having a malformed mental state over a quick tweet but then jump into such an incensed presumption about it.

Philia

LOL, I'm not holding my breath on this update. I'll just hope that they wise up with Simcity 2 or something with bigger cities but again... I'm not getting my hopes up either. I'm still damn sour on how they just fucking ran this awesome series straight to the sewage.

Harlock

Arthur fault was not see that the Russ Pitts review missed so much low points in Sim City, beyond all the server problems.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Did anyone expect Gies to respond any other way? As soon as I heard about the offline patch I thought of him and knew he wouldn't even have an "Okay, but..." response, just total dismissal.

It isn't in his perception of himself to be wrong. It's cognitive dissonance. And he doesn't relieve it by adjusting his sense of self, he relieves it by adapting his perception of the world to his sense of self.
Very nice. Socrates would be impressed.

You're right. I'm going to get back to firing posts out left and right in hopes to get a reaction, or better yet, a quote. I don't have real friends to talk shit with so I'm going straight to the source in the most offensive ways possible because I think they will like to read my contribution. It's essentially my hobby to put people down for attention. Humour and being funny is not important either, I just live for the quote.

SummitAve

Banned
You're right. I'm going to get back to firing posts out left and right in hopes to get a reaction, or better yet, a quote. I don't have real friends to talk shit with so I'm going straight to the source in the most offensive ways possible because I think they will like to read my contribution. It's essentially my hobby to put people down for attention. Humour and being funny is not important either, I just live for the quote.

The difference is that I'm engaged in a conversation.

Aaaand bought, thanks EA!

Sorry, Maxis, for not buying it at launch and front loading the sales numbers and helping you with the dollar performance.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well I'm trying to put some thought into it instead of just calling the guy, or the people who laugh at it, fucking idiots.

Many of us have put a lot of thought into this, far more than it deserves honestly. Fact of the matter is that Gies is simply an arrogant egotist who refuses to admit he is fallible in any way. If he had any humbleness or cared in any way about the people who read his opinions in search of actual reliable information, he would have 1) never said what he said, and 2) admitted he was incorrect long, long ago when he was proven wrong the very next day.

Actions speak louder than written words, and his actions speak for themselves time and time again. Sometimes, a duck is simply a duck and you can't expect it to be anything else. Gies "opinions" can not be trusted.

SummitAve

Banned
Many of us have put a lot of thought into this, far more than it deserves honestly. Fact of the matter is that Gies is simply an arrogant egotist who refuses to admit he is fallible in any way. If he had any humbleness or cared in any way about the people who read his opinions in search of actual reliable information, he would have 1) never said what he said, and 2) admitted he was incorrect long, long ago when he was proven wrong the very next day.

Actions speak louder than written words, and his actions speak for themselves time and time again. Sometimes, a duck is simply a duck and you can't expect it to be anything else. Gies "opinions" can not be trusted.

Ok sure, but he has never done anything that deserves random attacks on a personal level.

Garcia

You know what's even worse than Gies? People who actually give a damn about what he says and rant about it.

By ignoring whatever he tweets/writes/says (and the users who always quote his tweets on GAF) all of a sudden your browsing experience enhances.

Hari Seldon

This game probably had zero legs in terms of long tail sales. Maybe they finally realized that allowing modding to keep the audience playing the game (and therefore interested in purchasing expansions) was worth more than forcing always online to combat piracy. I know that after 10 or so hours with this game I was completely done and totally not interested in any expansions or anything else that has come out. The only thing that could get me back into this game would be word of some killer mods.

Megasoum

Banned
Of course they are adding offline mode. They need to have the game in a playable state for when they will shutdown all the servers in a couple of months.

Ok sure, but he has never done anything that deserves random attacks on a personal level.

I'm sure he is only being called a fucking idiot on a professional level.

You know what's even worse than Gies? People who actually give a damn about what he says and rant about it.

By ignoring whatever he tweets/writes/says (and the users who always quote his tweets on GAF) all of a sudden your browsing experience enhances.

Maybe people want to discuss things?

SummitAve

Banned
I'm sure he is only being called a fucking idiot on a professional level.

It wasn't that tweet specifically. People genuinely hate this guy for writing about something as inconsequential as video games. To a point where any mention of his name will induce rage. That's just crazy.

eznark

Banned
The mental capacity of somebody taking the effort to tweet a video game journalist over something so meaningless is already under serious question.

It's only done in an attempt to gain attention. The actual tweeting is taking it a strange step beyond just thinking about it and moving on with your life.

It's not so wierd and strange when it's actually clever and creative, but antagonistic tweets sent out at strangers is definitely not normal behavior.

Well I'm trying to put some thought into it instead of just calling the guy, or the people who laugh at it, fucking idiots.

The difference is that I'm engaged in a conversation.

It wasn't that tweet specifically. People genuinely hate this guy for writing about something as inconsequential as video games.

Does your repeated and emphatic engagement in something "so meaningless" make your intellectual capacity more or less questionable?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Of course they are adding offline mode. They need to have the game in a playable state for when they will shutdown all the servers in a couple of months.

That may not be far from the truth. Rumor is that the expansion sold very poorly, far worse than they expected. If the DLC is doing just as poorly, they may be preparing to do EA's favorite maneuver and abandon ship. Adding an offline mode and opening the game to the modding community would certainly help them save face after such an action.

If the modders do indeed increase city size after the offline mode is added, then I'd seriously consider buying the game. I love the look of the game, the UI, and the music, it's the gameplay I hate. With larger cities it would at least be interesting as a creative city builder, even with the agent and RCI bugs.

To be fair, he's right. He's not saying that it cant be patched in, just that nobody outside of people working on the game would know whether its possible or not.

Except people knew and proved that with mods.

The mental capacity of somebody taking the effort to tweet a video game journalist over something so meaningless is already under serious question.

So you don't think it's a big deal that Gies keeps lying and spreading shit. That's alright, you don't have to care, but some do.

Garcia

If the modders do indeed increase city size after the offline mode is added, then I'd seriously consider buying the game. I love the look of the game, the UI, and the music, it's the gameplay I hate. With larger cities it would at least be interesting as a creative city builder, even with the agent and RCI bugs.

I wouldn't place my hopes too high though. The game isn't really liked by true fans of the series and when modding shows up I doubt we will eventually see anything close to the quality and size of Sim City 4's mods.

That being said, I'm positive the city size increase will be top priority for any modders out there.

Top Bottom