• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single words / expressions that make you dismiss an entire post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Responding to a post by quoting a third party that posted earlier in the thread. Sometimes ok but usually just evidence of laziness or a weak mind.

Continually posting the same quote block of research across multiple threads everytime a subject comes up. Useful and interesting once, but it becomes a broken record that reveals the poster has a hard time conveying thoughts without appealing to authority, particularly on social issues.

Edit typo

Responding to a post by quoting a third party that posted earlier in the thread. Sometimes ok but usually just ecidence of laziness or a weak mind.

Continually posting the same quote block of research across multiple threads everytime a subject comes up. Useful and interesting once, but it becomes a broken record that reveals the poster has a hard time conveying thoughts without appealing to authority, particularly on social issues.

I'll add to that :

- Asking questions that have already been answered

;)

3phemeral

Used to bother me when people used certain phrases but I've since gotten over that as usually they'll have a some point despite the delivery (unless it's missing key words that make it unintelligible, then yes). Driveby posts that are just "this" or similar I can usually spot in my peripheral vision while I'm scrolling so they don't bother me at all.

The only real thing that irritates me is when there's a serious discussion and people post the same argument as if it's brand new, but you just have to remind yourself that those threads are usually 50+ pages long and not everyone reads the thread from the beginning.

FML is a pretty bad one for me. If you want to make any complaint you have to make sound like you're a rich suburban kid living off mommy and daddy's trust fund use FML at the end of your post.

I also can't take any piece of writing with the word "selfie" in it seriously.

magnetic

"You do realize (...)?"

It has an especially condescending sound. Like "you do realize it´s not the developers fault?"

---

"You sound bitter." "You sound angry." Implying that you are staying cool while the other side is foaming at the mouth, angrily hammering the keyboard, obviously being able to discuss in a rational manner. This basically is trying to disqualify all arguments.

Reminds me of this:
y5yt1CG.png

A variation of that would be "...bu...bu..but I thought (stupid idea that you obviously disagree with) was the best thing ever?", trying to turn your opponent into an angry caricature.

---

This is also something that has been done to death: The "inside the developers office stage play":

Reasonable person: "I have a very reasonable idea, what do you think? I firmly believe that this is a sensible, well thought out approach."

Unreasonable people in charge: "NO, LET´S DO THE OPPOSITE AND CREATE SOMETHING ASININE AND BRAINDEAD!"

Reasonable person: "...but this will never work!"

Unreasonable people in charge: "WE ARE IDIOTIC BONEHEADS AND WE MAKE THE DECISIONS!"

Reasonable person: "I quit."

Unreasonable people in charge: "GARRGGLLL BWARGL"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom