• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six of Asia’s Top Ten Chefs Are White Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except this isn't about the cuisine, it's about the country that the chef is located in. And the fact that they can't find 10 asian chefs to fill a list is pretty weird.

Well its not actually a list of chefs.

Its a list of high class restaurants that happen to be run by Westerners who've migrated there.

Kill3r7

Best restaurant is an Indian Restaurant in Thailand, because why not ;)

If you watch a chef's table you get a pretty good sense of why that is. Food critics in India are not interested in redefining Indian cuisine. Also people in India expect traditional Indian food not molecular gastronomy.

Usobuko

Banned
It doesn't. The point is that Asians are playing a big part in their cuisines not being elevated above "ethnic" cuisine status.

I'm not seeing this in my country, Singapore.

It also received Michelin awards just last year and everyone else is mostly saying how the list can be clueless at times.

MUnited83

For you.
Except this isn't about the cuisine, it's about the country that the chef is located in. And the fact that they can't find 10 asian chefs to fill a list is pretty weird.
? Did you actually read the article or the actual list? It's a list with 50 chefs, with the majority of them being Asian. There's a lot more than 10 Asian chefs on it.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I eat widely and at all types of restos, from Michelin starred joints to street stands, and I can say with confidence that the cheap food at my local hawker centre craps over all that overpriced euro top Chef food.

jorma

is now taking requests
Yeah seriously.

But you know, it's probably a blessing in disguise. This way when we go actual delicious Asian food places in Asia we don't have to deal with a bunch of laowei clogging up the restaurant, breaking the chairs, and driving prices up and quality down.

This seems like a pretty xenophobic and bigoted attitude towards foreigners.

Forkball

Maybe white people just make better foo-

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

You think they're voting for these people just because they're white? I mean do three seconds of research on who these people are.

From Richard Ekkebus' Wiki:

Ekkebus began as an apprentice under Michelin-starred chefs Hans Snijders and Robert Kranenborg in the Netherlands. He won the prestigious Golden Chefs Hat for ‘Young Chef of the Year’ while he was in the Netherlands. He then further honed his skills under the tutelage of Pierre Gagnaire, Alain Passard and Guy Savoy.

He then became the executive chef at the Royal Palm Hotel in Mauritius. After seven years, he then took on the executive chef position at The Sandy Lane in Barbados.

Ekkebus has cooked for top international celebrities such as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Beyoncé and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

These rankings are not for your local food stalls, they are focused on expensive, gourmet dining. High class hotels scout the best talent in the world, and many European chefs are drawn to Asia due to the food culture and the ability to stand out (I think there's one too many French restaurants in Paris).

Zaru

I eat widely and at all types of restos, from Michelin starred joints to street stands, and I can say with confidence that the cheap food at my local hawker centre craps over all that overpriced euro top Chef food.
It's easy to fool the average person's tastebuds with copious amounts of salt, sugar and fat. Or in many cultures, overwhelming spiciness.
I've got a pretty easy to please palate myself, so I'm not any different, but that's the main reason why cheap local food is often considered "great". It doesn't say much about the quality of the food or the skills of the cook.

wildfire

Banned
Yup, lol. Asians like to taste test the cultures of the Western world which is why France is such a popular destination for us. (When we aren't being xenophobic as fuck)

I would say, however, Asians and Asian-Americans are way different. In the USA the divide is between generations of immigrants.

Also this is an industry poll that's basically a popularity contest for people to circlejerk over. Not worth getting ruffled about, imo.

That's such a dumb attempt at handwaving.

These popularity polls continue to exist because they do drive traffic to the restaurants they pick. These lists are first and foremost are meant to guide tourists so it's fundamentally a problem that they are influencing money being driven to an outsized demographic that is hardly representative of that region.

To their credit it's required that someone making this list has to live there but the who knows if they made a career elsewhere and permanently immigrated or are using a 1-3 year work visa.

MGrant

There should really be more Asian chefs on that list. Especially from non-haute-cuisine places. Some of the best chefs are easily missed if you don't go to mom-and-pop shops here in Taiwan. But their skill is undeniable.

I feel like there's a bit of a shitty attitude from some people that "That guy's not Asian!" even though we're talking about people who have lived, worked, communicated, and contributed to their Asian communities for years, in some cases. That's my own sensitivities showing, though.

JPLMD

This seems like a pretty xenophobic and bigoted attitude towards foreigners.

Sounds pretty accurate actually but like another poster said only white people are able to enter a culture and be fully accepted into it without anyone raising any alarms even if they're a bunch of assholes about it.

TBiddy

There are also people, that don't mind their game running in the wrong resolution at 20 fps.

Kinyou

I think this is less of a racist bias of the list and more of a sign of established luxury chefs moving to Asia

Shredderi

I keep seeing pictures of japanese pastry and it all looks completely alien to me. Like I would never see anything like that here in Finland I just want a fucking taste ;_; Looks so fucking delicious.

Ethranes

So? It's an opinionated article, I would rather someone give me their opintion on what the best chefs are rather than a list that has equal amounts of each race and sex to appease those who this is offending.

Maybe they are just good?

Example: Umberto Bombana (number 4 in the list) works in Hong-Kong since 1993, that's 24 years as of now. Who cares if he's white.

el jacko

Right. So that seems obvious to me that their point of view is super narrow to the western trained chef in a luxury restaurant rather than searching for the local talent or authentic restaurant. Im thai and i eat thai my wholr life , I have yet to find a single western chef thai food that is considered authentic and good to thai tougue.

Last samurai? Seriously?
Last Samurai was a throwaway reference - my point was that in European-influenced haute cuisine culture that this silly list encapsulates, only white people can introduce and legitimize Asian ingredients.

I don't agree with that sentiment whatsoever, but I also don't have much interest in any of these restaurants - price and "status" doesn't equal quality, and the ability to crack the top 50 on these lists is primarily a measure of the owner's ability to schmooze and advertise with the right people (judges, a select group).

Maybe they are just good?

Example: Umberto Bombana (number 4 in the list) works in Hong-Kong since 1993, that's 24 years as of now. Who cares if he's white.
And expensive. Mostly expensive. Eating at one of these places is a status symbol.

jem0208

I don't think this is unreasonable at all. When you go to a restaurant you're typically looking to have food you wouldn't normally have at home. If you do go to a restaurant serving your cuisine you're also going to have higher expectations. I could see these two factors being reasons for why people would rate foreign cuisine higher.

For example, I live in the UK and one of my favourite restaurants serves Nepalese food. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was fairly average compared to normal Nepalese cooking.

Jotaka

1. indian cuisine
2. french
3. french
4. italian
5. thai
6. japanese
7. japanese
8. undefined
9. french
10. american barbecue
11. japanese
12. french
13. german
14. french
15. korean
16. french
17. cantonese
18. french
19. thai
20. japanese

-------
7 x french

Very asian LOL

TBiddy

I don't agree with that sentiment whatsoever, but I also don't have much interest in any of these restaurants - price and "status" doesn't equal quality, and the ability to crack the top 50 on these lists is primarily a measure of the owner's ability to schmooze and advertise with the right people (judges, a select group).

I think you're severely underestimating these peoples abilities to cook.

jorma

is now taking requests
Sounds pretty accurate actually but like another poster said only white people are able to enter a culture and be fully accepted into it without anyone raising any alarms even if they're a bunch of assholes about it.

That's probably not even close to true, and furthermore has nothing to do with the bigoted post i quoted because it doesn't seem to be very accepting of any foreigners at all.

boiled goose

good with gravy
French and Italian cuisine are the most developed for fine dining.

That's part of the issue.

Of course there's also a perception of European as "fancy" and also it's an old boys club at the top.

Not surprised, western publication prefers western style food. It's clearly this isn't top Asian cuisine as if there was even such a homogeneous thing.

TBiddy

Is anyone saying white males are better cooks or just that these specific white males are better cooks?

Clearly, it's impossible for these specific chefs to be better than their colleagues, since the majority of them are white. There must be something else here.

Kill3r7

Not surprised, western publication prefers western style food. It's clearly this isn't top Asian cuisine as if there was even such a homogeneous thing.

Correct, this list is mostly fancy and expensive restaurants only. They are not choosing your local mom and pop place. No matter how delicious their food is.

kmfdmpig

If they're good at making the food does it matter what race the chef is? I realise it's Asian cuisine, but you don't need to be Asian to cook it well no?

Sure, but considering how amazing food in Japan, Thailand, Singapore, China, and many other Asian countries is it's a bit hard to believe that this list is accurate.

Apt101

I don't think this is a sign of discrimination or preferential treatment by critics. Top chefs travel and learn all over, often finding inspiration in some other cuisine and working hard to come up with new ideas within them. Some of those guys have spent decades living in their adopted country and working with that food. It's just how the scene looks today. In five years the entire top ten may be Asian.

It goes both ways, too. Some of the most celebrated chefs throughout Europe and the Americas came from Asia. Or, are of Asian descent and incorporated contemporary American (North and South), or whatever their European home nation is, ideas into their food.

I'm no expert, I just watch a shitload of cooking shows and documentaries, so I've heard the stories of many of these chefs.

Sure, but considering how amazing food in Japan, Thailand, Singapore, China, and many other Asian countries is it's a bit hard to believe that this list is accurate.

This is a look at high class restaurants in the region.

Those high class restaurants tend to have the involvement of international chefs.

This isn't like some awesome local place got bumped off the list due to 'Johnny Foreigner' .

And its food... It's subjective! Accuracy doesn't come into it.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The top French cuisine chef is Asian, that's cultural appropriation.

I really don't want to specify but, /s

Having eaten at very few of these restaurants I have no idea why people in this thread, or Bourdain for that matter, are upset with this list.

Didn't know whiskey and pastry was a thing, but I guess I can kind of see it.
Living in Japan right now, tried both, both amazing. Also ate the best pastry of my life here from a small bakery that also had amazing German bread (as a German I was crying tears of joy, that stuff is rarer than golden geese here) and croissants, the chief baker definitely apprenticed in both Germany and France, added his own amazing pastry and even sells them for reasonable prices. Sadly most bakeries here are chain-stores with super soft Japanese tailored stuff though.

Also Whiskey is good too, got a Nikka Whisky Pure Malt here next to my laptop and tastes as good as most 12 year Single Malts from Scottland IMO (also only 2600 Yen for 700ml too).

French and Italian cuisine are the most developed for fine dining.

That's part of the issue.

Of course there's also a perception of European as "fancy" and also it's an old boys club at the top.
This.

CHC

Top food lists always skew towards European cuisine served in extremely lavish and expensive settings.

I really don't care what institutions like this and Michelin say about they judge "only the food," their opinions are invariably tinged by the setting and the reputation of the chef. There are exceptions (like Jiro, for example), but all of these kinds of lists skew towards a very certain type of restaurant.

Hey now they simply "appropriated" it.

Yes I'm sure Gaggan Anand really "appropriated" Indian cuisine, or Umberto Bombana "appropriated" that fine cooking right out the hands of the Italians.

notaskwid

Yeah seriously.

But you know, it's probably a blessing in disguise. This way when we go actual delicious Asian food places in Asia we don't have to deal with a bunch of laowei clogging up the restaurant, breaking the chairs, and driving prices up and quality down.
I'd rather 国际友人, thanks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Actually the list is highly skewed towards expensive or exclusive food (a problem in itself) and so that's why Japan shows up with two top ten sushi/Japanese haute cuisine slots. It's about the building location and type of clientele too. Michelin for example throws out a star to a food truck or market stall every now and then to cover for that disgraceful aspect of its lists too.

RinsFury

Good on Bourdain for calling out this bullshit. Over a billion people in Asia, and six of the top ten chefs are white guys? Fuck off.

clemenx

Banned
Why are people treating these lists as anything other that catalogues for wealthy people who can travel around to these kinds of restaurants?

CHC

Actually the list is highly skewed towards expensive or exclusive food (a problem in itself) and so that's why Japan shows up with two top ten sushi/Japanese haute cuisine slots. It's about the building location and type of clientele too. Michelin for example throws out a star to a food truck or market stall every now and then to cover for that disgraceful aspect of its lists too.

Yep, exactly what I was saying above. They claim that the food is the only consideration, but that's just so clearly not the case. Which I understand, it's very hard to separate the experience from the food because eating is so contextual, but these lists are always highly, highly skewed towards haute cuisine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom