• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Since I already got all the DLC day one I don't know if it's already implemented or not, but are the tutorial modes locked for DLC characters you haven't purchased yet? It'd be a nice way to "try before you buy" for people just hopping on the hype train now.

I am glad to see Skullgirls: Encore getting its time on PS+. Good timing with the release of Big Band; hopefully it will bring in a good number of new players.

Ravidrath, are you at liberty to talk about what Sony offered you for the game to be a PS+ offering?

They put the game on the PSN without trouble.

Mesoian

Makes me wish I could use my fight pad on PS3.

Oh well.

Wrong post but...still relevent I guess.

Seeing Matt and Woolie in the new Skullgirls stage made me pause and do a very long, "Oh yeah, that happened didn't it?" moment.

They should do Skullgirls for Friday Night Fistacuffs

A bit of feedback on Big Band's story mode - I kind of felt it was a return to how the original eight's style, which to me makes it feel a bit less special than Squigly's. Still, Big Band is pretty cool
and it was really need for him to turn out to have a normal face, and for Irving(I think? The PI) to show up.

It's also terrific that the delisting saga is finally over. Worst saga since GT ended.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to say this,

Kupos on Big Band. I really enjoy his moveset, and he's so full of fun to play with. He's my new main character for now.. I'm eager waiting for Eliza and Beowulf.

Beats

Good games DiscoShark!

Big Band is pretty difficult to fight against. I kept getting hit by those punches. Also I laughed when you parried my super haha. > . <

Maybe I should have set the delay to 1. There were some minor hiccups here and there. Was it the same on your end?

Good games DiscoShark!

Big Band is pretty difficult to fight against. I laughed when you parried my super haha. > . <

Maybe I should have set the delay to 1. There were some minor hiccups here and there. Was it the same on your end?

Yeah man, great games. I was ruined for the rest of that match after the parry, was too excited about it haha. For some reason it said my ping was like 140 something when we first started so I had set the delay to 3 and was pretty smooth for the duration. Need to figure out how to deal with pressure with bigband though, his s.LP seems like a pretty good deterrent against airdash pressure but I kept forgetting about it and tried to DP a lot instead.

Beats

Yeah man, great games. I was ruined for the rest of that match after the parry, was too excited about it haha. For some reason it said my ping was like 140 something when we first started so I had set the delay to 3 and was pretty smooth for the duration. Need to figure out how to deal with pressure with bigband though, his s.LP seems like a pretty good deterrent against airdash pressure but I kept forgetting about it and tried to DP a lot instead.

Ah, it said 70-ish ping for me, so I just set it to 0. Yeah, I noticed his st.LP was very effective against Filia.

edit: The new Grand Cathedral (empty) is really nice. The characters really pop out on it.

Psxphile

I'm enjoying this new update. Thanks guys.

kVVCfIN.gif

Fans are great.
Points awarded if you can guess the reference.

I'm finding that I really like the synergy between Big Band and Squigly right now, especially because Squigly is one of the only characters who can DHC off of Super Sonic Jazz and have it combo. Beyond that Silver Chord opens up a lot of combo options that Big Band wouldn't necessarily have like Tambourine + Silver to get a full combo and such. The only issue is that Big Band is DESTROYED by characters who can apply a pressure game with multihitting normals (Filia/Valentine/Painwheel) so either Im on the offensive against those characters or I'm stuck in block stun for the duration with no viable alpha counter assist. Solution would be to either learn how to push block guard cancel into Parry/Beat Extend or get a DP assist.

I think I'll just wait for the third member of Team Music ...

TheOGB

Banned
Hell yes, Squigly and Big Band make a pretty awesome team. Team Music is already shaping up wonderfully. And so many of their palettes look great together.

Loona

Having moved to a different country but unable to bring my PS3 with me in the near future I'm afraid that I might not be able to get free BB there in time - at least there's the Steam version.

In his story mode I get the feeling there was a very deliberate effort to give some exposure to the characters that were up for votes but that still fit BBs narrative plausibly - nice, but it makes most of the older cast's stories feel a bit empty in comparison. Hopefully someday it'll be possible to make it all a bit more consistent.

Speaking of story mode, now I have no idea what the 2 still locked cutscene illustrations in the gallery are supposed to be, since I finished all the story modes...

Having moved to a different country but unable to bring my PS3 with me in the near future I'm afraid that I might not be able to get free BB there in time - at least there's the Steam version.

You could always just use your browser to access the PSN store?

Had a session with local friends yesterday and it was great. I bodied them most of the time but one of them managed to get a quick ms fortune working, while the other understood way too fast center stage > super with squiggly (and big band assist).

Big Band and Squig were liked a lot by a friend who does not like the art style of the characters, mostly because Squig is less bimbo and freak than other characters. And for Big Band, the feeling of the character pleases him so that's a great addition to convince people to play the game.

Still most of them agreed on something: they think the game supers are not that great and lack power when hitting. Not damage, but visuel/sound effect I suppose, they could not explain it very well outside "it's not powerful enough".

Oh and the game was having a freeze each time we made a DHC or a hard tag on one of the xbox. I'm asking which model to be able to send feedback.

Galdelico

I'll drop it on here too, just in case.

About che 'locked' palettes and stages on 360 Encore.

I think it depends on the savedata (as in the old 'Skullgirls' savedata clashing with the new 'Encore' updates maybe?). Until yesterday I had all the colors and the new stages locked in Training Mode and then I tried this: I
- activated the Cloud device on my 360
- copied vanilla Skullgirls savedata from the HDD to the Cloud
- deleted vanilla Skullgirls savedata AND the 7MB game update from my HDD (I didn't touch the game, the 820MB compatibility pack and Squigly/Big Band DLCs)
- booted Encore, redownloaded the 7MB game update
- selected my HDD as the destination device for the new savedata.

At this point, it all worked.
There are still a few palettes and stages locked (it's normal, you are meant to unlock them by playing the game) but all the stuff which is supposed to be selectable from the get-go is now actually selectable.

After that, I just deleted vanilla Skullgirls savedata from the Cloud and then I deactivated the Cloud itself.

***PLEASE NOTE*** that by deleting your original savedata you will lose both Story Mode and Training Room progression so keep it in mind before doing anything.

Big Band Basics Guide by Jason Slade

Lots of useful information in here.

Oh wow, there were clearly tons of things that I missed in training mode ...

HK Giant Step destroying projectiles and the quake being unblockable.
Super Sonic Jazz having 2 frame startup
Jazz getting more hits of super armor after being charged up (from 1 to 15)
Medium A-Train tracking current position of opponent / having only a single hit of armor.

That was fantastic ... and definitely motivates me to jump on and play Eliza as soon as absolutely possible so I don't miss the properties of these moves as they're added and tweaked in the Beta.

-----

The competition on PC is so much better than PSN. ;-;

Mesoian

So, I'm playing on PC and I live in Boston.

Is there a reason why it put me in the west coast servers instead of the east coast ones? Can I change that manually? I'd rather not have games that have over 200 ms ping every time.

Nyoro SF

So, I'm playing on PC and I live in Boston.

Is there a reason why it put me in the west coast servers instead of the east coast ones? Can I change that manually? I'd rather not have games that have over 200 ms ping every time.

Check settings, should be an option to change default region.

Silky

Banned
I've decided that if I ever want to be decent at this game I'll have to take the time to learn the resets. I'm switching over to Painwheel and some of her resets seem really difficult when it includes her flight.

I'm trying c.lk > c.mk > c.HP > H. Blue Reaper > fly > j.lp > j.mk

I've decided that if I ever want to be decent at this game I'll have to take the time to learn the resets. I'm switching over to Painwheel and some of her resets seem really difficult when it includes her flight.

I'm trying c.lk > c.mk > c.HP > H. Blue Reaper > fly > j.lp > j.mk

if you want some easy mode resets, try ending some strings in s.MP or s.HK (in a way that they launch) and fly cancel out of that. They're easier to notice than the bleeding-edge stuff, but possibly worth working in every now and then.

Silky

Banned
if you want some easy mode resets, try ending some strings in s.MP or s.HK (in a way that they launch) and fly cancel out of that. They're easier to notice than the bleeding-edge stuff, but possibly worth working in every now and then.

Yeah fly canceling after s.MP is much easier, but I'm still having the trouble of meeting that window time of getting an attack after flight to continue the combo.

EDIT: I think tapping forward after flight is helping me a bit to follow up that Blue Reaper. going from flight > j.HK seems a lot easier.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
Honestly, Painwheel resets are as easy as just dropping (or slowing down) your BnB. Since she alternates high-low so often almost nobody blocks properly the whole time.

Alternatively, you can be like 90% of scrubby Painwheels and just hit throw whenever. It's not like you can't convert off of throw meterless from anywhere on the stage.

You can learn the tricky resets later.

Top Bottom