• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

AAK

Good job with the OP! I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of gameplay... but with the heart and soul that went into the development of this game there is no way I won't support it.

PSN:

AAK0924 | ON, Canada | EST

Ravidrath

Awesome OP, Solar!

It's also great to hear that this game will also be making the rounds in tournaments. I know it will be at Texas Showdown, CEO confirmed they are running this and I believe ECT4 will also have this.

We should be at every Evo qualifier except the MadCatz tournament.

And for the new thread...

Because this hasn't been posted enough:
Mw5t6.gif

mattwooliesmall.png

Couldn't have picked a better guy for OT duty, fantastic stuff Solar and I'm really loving that banner as well. This is going down as my most anticipated fighter this year BY FAR. FOUR DAYS REMAINING!

May want to stick a link to the movelist when that becomes available on the skullgirls site

AND NOW ITS ... PRE-RELEASE THEORY FIGHTING TIME!

Expanded my thoughts on the potential 2 man team of Peacock/Double while adding some thoughts on a potential Peacock/Double/Parasoul (order pending).

At this point though my theory fighting self is compelling me to gravitate towards a team of Peacock/Double for a few reasons.

Peacock point - Double assist
The most obvious to me is that Peacock needs a "get off me" assist and Double's Cere-tackle assist seems like a perfect fit in covering the space where air dash pressure is at its most effective. It has a TON of horizontal range as well and is undoubtedly going to setup an instant beam super if I see that its connected. This really is going to be one of the most effective assists in the game I think. It hits multiple times, pushes the opponent out to near fullscreen and sets up combos on top of everything else.

Double point - Peacock assist

Peacock has an absolute ton of projectiles that can aid in getting Double in. A potential hole I'm seeing with Double is that it seems that her game is really focused on her ground game without much ability to address people jumping away from her pressure strings. Having something like a variant of item drop or Peacock's flying bomb could do a lot in terms of keeping my opponent on the ground.

DHC Synergy :
Laser -> Car or vice versa seems like it'd combo without issue in pretty much any situation.

They both have utility supers that can undoubtedly be used for DHC situations. Peacock giant lenny and double fortune heads just really get the theory fighting juices flowing. Adding an element other than yourself that your opponent has to deal with (though Fortune Heads are more an extension of Double rather than a factor both people have to deal with). I can't help but think there's some super cheap chip setup involving Peacock going into Lenny and DHCing into Double heads as well.

A lot of people have wised up in terms of punishing Peacock's beam super during the delay between the first and second segments. Double negates this with her completely invincible super (which coincidentally involves a Peacock clone driving a car ... it fits!).

Potential Issues:
Meter meter and meter. Both of these characters seem to need a lot of it to be considered at their peak in terms of play. There hasn't been much in the way of Double gameplay that would make me believe that she's anywhere near as effective without her Catellite super and being able to hitconfirm any hit into Laser is a staple of what I'm seeing in Peacock play. Yet despite this there simply arent many characters that I could see myself feasibly adding who's assists do much for either character that isn't already covered while maintaining the DHC synergy that I was talking about.

Variants (Parasoul) :
Adding Parasoul to the team would do nothing to ruin the DHC synergy (her sniper shot is a good DHC from anything on hit.) and I'm of the opinion that Parasoul has probably one of the best projectile assists in the game (the one that bounces up from the ground) it has a fantastic angle and has the bonus ability of setting up potential mixups because of its delayed explosion. I can see a situation where I have Double on point and I've pressured my opponent in such a way as to throw out a Parasoul assist for them to block. The tear is still on screen and I have 3 seconds before the tear itself explodes. In this time limit I have a number of options :

Bait : Continue pressure and jump, intentionally go into an "unsafe" move at a timing where, when my opponent tries to punish, the tear explodes allowing me to potentially combo afterwards. (Teacup!)
Jump Crossup : Act like I'm going for teacup and use the Valentine normal to jump over my opponent and end up on other side.
Dash Mixup : Continue pressure and break off at a moment so that I can dash forward, crossing up my opponent at moment of explosion
Throw before explosion : Conditioning my opponent to wait for an explosion and block before they try to retaliate with anything of their own sets up the ability to throw at any point before its explosion.

So what are you guys thinking of in terms of Day 1/Week 1 teams?

PSN : DiscoShark | US East | EST

Ravidrath

Crossing my fingers GGPO in SG won't be as wonky as the one in Third Strike.

In playing with press so far, I would say it isn't - all have commented on how smooth it is.

Not only was the game built around it, we also try to help you pick a good setting - we give you a color-coded numerical ping on every match-up and suggest a GGPO setting that is appropriate for that.

I will say that if people are playing in an office or have torrenting room mates you may want to add 1-2 to the GGPO setting we recommend, since that can make the network traffic unpredictable and the ping we give you inaccurate over the longer term.

rCIZZLE

Nice price point to make this an easy buy for me even if I don't end up getting into it much. How is the execution requirement for this? Like is it more reliant on skills from other fighting games like footsies or do I need to learn a bunch of difficult combos to have any chance at doing well?

I've been keeping an eye on this. Painwheel is definitely a character I'd want to use. Cerebella and Parasoul are pretty attractive designs but unfortunately I'm horrible with charge characters and grapplers. =( I'll have to see...

Been thinking about this game but was a bit turned off by it. Finally got around to watching some of the FNF videos with mike z and others and now will get it day 1.

Does Peacock really say 'Garbage Day!" when she fires her gun?

shaowebb

Releasing April the 11th needs added to OP.
Get hype everybody. This studio is incredible.

I actually got a personal story to share on that. Last year when this was announced I contacted Ravidrath and asked for some advice since I'm an animation student. He said some things that helped and even went the extra mile to let me take and play around with their art test for cleanup work. Sadly, college got in the way and I never even finished it like intended, but looking at the setup, the notes, how tight the art pipeline was to keep all the tweener and cleanup artists polished and perfect on this game... it was very VERY impressive for a work pipeline setup. Even a student like me with no practical studio experience could look at it and in moments be up and running on the stuff. It even had brush setting instructions to create proper strokes!

Simply amazing stuff. Even though 3d Software training got way too intense to leave me time for cleanup stuff (or sleep, or gaming, or a lot of work hours for that matter) I will never forget being thrown this useful tool to learn from by Reverge labs. I have never seen such an eager group of guys willing to talk to their fans and even offer advice and help to those of us who needed it on top of all of the hard work they are already doing.

This studio goes above and beyond both for their game from what I've seen, and DEFINITELY for their fanbase. They deserve all the support we can give them. I know they've improved me as an artist and from what I've seen from streams they are definitely doing all they can to improve fighting games for the player and truly make their creation process an interactive experience amongst their fans by not only listening to their feedback, but also by responding to them directly (and insanely fast to in my case.)

God bless Reverge Labs for all they've done. Take my money and my respect. You more than deserve both.

I read all of the OP just for you Solar. :)

The mechanics in this game are amazing. They had me at "custom assists". Although unblockable set ups grow hair on your chest so I will love my unblockables in Mahvel games.
I like my unblockables too, but I can see why Mike wouldn't want them in Skullgirls. The sheer amount of good ideas stuffed in this game is insane though. Just reading some of the Q&A stuff in the community/guide section will give you an idea of how much work has gone into the gameplay.
So who's gonna be the "trenchcoat" character of this game?
Most overused and seemingly strong? I'm thinking Cerebella. She is a beast with all those grabs, her projectile reflect, her jump cancel combos and the hurtbox on some of her moves. She has also got tons of fantastic grabs and normals for assist usage as well. I expect her and Valentine to dominate the online realm with an iron fist. Valentine just has too many useful supers to pass up. I also expect lots of people to pick her up due to her aesthetics and character theme.
hope it doesn't disappoint, learning filia and valentine
If it is good enough for the purest player in the FGC then it is good enough for us. :p

We'll finally be able to play another game besides Mahvel!
It's also great to hear that this game will also be making the rounds in tournaments. I know it will be at Texas Showdown, CEO confirmed they are running this and I believe ECT4 will also have this.
Yeah, Reverge will hopefully be sponsoring a dozen tournaments iirc. They're definitely looking to foster that fighting game talent and community at tournaments.
Fan-fucking-tastic OT Solar. Way to bring the hype.

Gonna try to spread this around the Japanese community as much as possible.
Thanks for the compliment. I expect this game to be dominated by the Japanese once they get their hands on it. It looks like they absolutely love the comic art style over there and the mechanics seem to solve a lot of those random issues that probably piss them off(especially X-factor). That might not happen if the US picks this game up in a serious way though.
Say... is the actual "Skullgirl" in the game at launch as the story mode boss?

Or is it supposed to be a surprise?
Who knows...

If it is a surprise then I find it cool. Reviewers will need carrots to draw some hits and I don't mind reading anyway.
Who is the Dudley/Gief of the game.

So I can use them.
Cerebella is the token grappler and she does her job well. She scares me more than anyone else in the cast.
So hyped for them Yamane tunes.
Why does Yamane always look like such a G? Damn, that lady kicks ass.
Awesome OP, Solar!
Thanks for all your help until now.
Really nice and very informative OT, thanks for this.

At the risk of starting what I'd prefer to avoid, I'm going to make a plea here to keep the discussion focused on the game (it's a fighting game so I'm not going to ask to keep it civil, that wouldn't be any fun). I'm eager to follow this but certain tangential discussions made me excuse myself from previous threads. That's all I'm going to say about that.
I agree with this 100%. The fan art issue is especially important for me. I like some nice fan art as much as the next guy, but it's not something to be thrown around constantly. This game is in a particularly delicate zone(I shouldn't have to say why) which means that is important to keep things in check. I hope people remember this...

I've got a question

The thing is, I want to support this game because i think its amazing although not my cup of tea. I don't have time for it now, with ng3, DMC hd, UMVC3, SF xT taking up the precious gaming time I have.

My question is this. With this game being a XBLA release it's not going to hurt as much if you dont get a lot of Month 1 sales as it would if it was a retail release? If it will help you guys more, I'll buy sooner rather than later, but I'd rather buy it when I actually have time to play it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Will be checking out reviews and impressions first. Not to mention DLC plans. Hoping to see everything is positive.

I wonder how touneys will squash this in with the rest of the horde of fighters though.

I'll be bloody rubbish but I'm in on PS3. UK - Captain_Spanky. Come kick my arse!

My only concern is, what with the upcoming DLC characters, will there be a cheaper, all inclusive Ultimate version coming down the line that would be better value and kinda screw initial supporters?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
From what I've seent he way they are doing it is EAGERLY. Game is solid.
:D

We'll see. I don't forsee Big Two becoming Big Four or becoming a regular at Wednesday Fight Nights. It's going to demand heavily on numbers and viewers.

Tizoc

My tears....
my manly tears...
won't stop flowing.

MY BROTHERS!
SI5IB.jpg

Oh and here's PSN info-
PSN ID|Region|Timezone
Tizoc789|Middle East (Oman)|+4 GMT

We'll be getting lagging matches most likely though ^_^;

No EU date yet huh? I got some funds in my PSN account so I'll get SG and a few other games next week. Will be putting off DW7 XL and Yakuza: DS for a few days as I indulge myself at this masterpiece.

Oh and where the movelists at on the official site?

shaowebb

Who is everyone planning to main? I plan on going in hard with Peacock. Her design is my favorite so far, and you better believe I enjoy me some Cable-style 4 shot tools.

K.Sabot

I plan on playing 2 stock parasoul with anyone who has an assist that goes horizontally across the screen.

PSN: StuffedTiger

Tizoc

Who is everyone planning to main? I plan on going in hard with Peacock. Her design is my favorite so far, and you better believe I enjoy me some Cable-style 4 shot tools.

Cerebella <3
Not sure who else I'd use but for sticking to this angel~

Yo Ravi how does the team feel about the 'ahem' Japanese fanart for the game?

Ravidrath

I've got a question

The thing is, I want to support this game because i think its amazing although not my cup of tea. I don't have time for it now, with ng3, DMC hd, UMVC3, SF xT taking up the precious gaming time I have.

My question is this. With this game being a XBLA release it's not going to hurt as much if you dont get a lot of Month 1 sales as it would if it was a retail release? If it will help you guys more, I'll buy sooner rather than later, but I'd rather buy it when I actually have time to play it.

From our point of view, it would be better for everyone to buy it sooner. Not only does that help us gauge interest for DLC characters, it'll also help fund patches, etc.

My only concern is, what with the upcoming DLC characters, will there be a cheaper, all inclusive Ultimate version coming down the line that would be better value and kinda screw initial supporters?

There hasn't been any discussion of one.

If that were to happen, though, I think it would be pretty far down the line... like, if we get to do all the DLC characters we want for this installment, and do a final compilation on disc. But at our current rate of 2-3 months per character, that would be about 2 years out. :p

Yo Ravi how does the team feel about the 'ahem' Japanese fanart for the game?

I'd say the team is totally OK with it. I don't particularly want to see that kind of thing, but... it's pretty cool that people care enough to do that?

Oh and where the movelists at on the official site?

English guides are done, but haven't been put on the site yet. We're in the process of localizing the others now, too.

They look really nice - very slick PDFs for printing by our amazing UI / graphic design guy.

Will be checking out reviews and impressions first. Not to mention DLC plans. Hoping to see everything is positive.

I wonder how touneys will squash this in with the rest of the horde of fighters though.

Don't forget to try out the demo as well! It's pretty full featured ...

Filia and Cerebella
I think like 4 tutorials?
Limited arcade mode
Training mode.
Offline versus

ghibli99

Oh damn, already? Gonna be hurtin' from Xenoblade tomorrow. Probably gonna pick this up, though... hope it's good!

Top Bottom