• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

It is just me, or 50.000 copies are actually not an exceptional result for the launch week?

No, it's not exceptional. It's still seems very solid though.

Given that SG is an unusual fighter in a market dominated by people shouting variations on "hadoken!", I think it's doing pretty well!

Castef

Banned
Actually, it would be very nice, in a year or such, to have "Skullboys", an all-male cast sequel.

Of course, if you own both games... TA-DHAN! They merge.

Battles of sexes, or something like that.

I'm in.

It's a good result, but I expected 100k sales, or something around what I think KOFXIII sold, whatever that was.

KOF, however, is a game that is sold by a publisher with a ton of money in comparison to Reverge and Autumn, and it sold really well in Japan.

No offense to Skullgirls here (cause it definitely deserves sales), but it'll never reach the sales figures of most retail fighting games.

50k is actually pretty solid for a first sales week on a comparably obscure online-distributed game.

I kinda dumped Valentine after spending some time with the character and weighing my options. I then went to ranked and just played a couple dozen matches with solo Parasoul. The thrashing was so severe that I had to go back to the drawing board. I picked Peacock(who I always considered kind of cool) and tried out some basic stuff. Yeah, Peacock is pretty amazing. A basic combo into Argus Agony does decent damage and she pairs very well with Parasoul. My combos with Parasoul have also improved a tiny bit more and I'm slowly learning how to incorporate Napalm Pillar into them for more fun stuff. I have yet to go back into ranked though. I need to know at least a couple of midscreen combos and good Peacock assists.

Damn... only Skullgirls could make me have this much fun with a charge character.
KOF, however, is a game that is sold by a publisher with a ton of money in comparison to Reverge and Autumn, and it sold really well in Japan.

No offense to Skullgirls here (cause it definitely deserves sales), but it'll never reach the sales figures of most retail fighting games.

50k is actually pretty solid for a first sales week on a comparably obscure online-distributed game.
You'd be surprised by how many units a game like Skullgirls would have moved on the PC(Steam in particular) had a PC version launched alongside consoles. It wouldn't be SFxT numbers(which is very good, but low for Capcom), but 50k is pretty different from 150-200k.

Source?

Ravidrath

It is just me, or 50.000 copies are actually not an exceptional result for the launch week?

It's actually really good for a downloadable game - for most downloadable games, "good" sales are like... 200k in 6 months.

In the first week, we doubled what is considered "great" for North American PSN.

Also, keep in mind that we're not out on European PSN yet, either.

mr. puppy

Banned
It's actually really good for a downloadable game - for most downloadable games, "good" sales are like... 200k in 6 months.

In the first week, we doubled what is considered "great" for North American PSN.

actually, you all should do what a lot of people who make indie games do with Steam.....release a deluxe package of the game with a steam release and you'll make a fortune. Include two characters or whatever you want. Skullgirls EX + Alpha.

If you all don't release this game on steam, you should be working for capcom's marketing since they only hire idiots apparently.

Ties

Banned
Painwheel is so input heavy omg, but the payoff is so so good. 7k combos everywhere? Count me in! I'm having difficulty approaching Peacocks and players who abuse the hell out of pushblock. I tried a charged j.HP but the dude you're against can just grab you out of that. I need some decent strings and mixup so I can constantly pressure my opponent. I don't think Painwheel really shines as a solo character, but I'm going to experiment and pair her up with Parasoul's Napalm Pillar assist to see if it helps her out a bit.

I'm enjoying this game immensely and I'm happy to hear that it pushed 50k during its first week. That's pretty damn solid for a new fighter with little advertisement. I would double dip if there's a Steam release.

ido

Sadly I haven't been able to play Skullgirls since release, other than the first day it came out.

The first character I was drawn to was Filia, because she felt most like MvC2 to me(my all-time favorite fighter). I'm thinking about getting back into the mix with this game and was wondering if anyone who mains Filia has some good advice on who to pair her with? Part of me WANTS to play 3 characters to give myself more of a MvC2 feel, but from what little I played of the game 2 characters seems to be the best option(correct me if I am wrong here).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is a decent bnb with Filia at this point? I'm almost certain the little bullshit I came up with on day one is worthless by now.

shaowebb

The day a game was made where you can rip your own limbs off and use them to beat someone to death with was the day the world became free to QisTopTier.

Awesome news, I wish companies like Capcom learned from you guys.

Just finished getting my can kicked all over on PSN. God, I'm going to suck terribly at this game until I get a second character. I'm liking Peacock a lot, but I keep mixing up the inputs. She is amazing when she gets going though. My Parasoul is okay... but she has a hard time keeping up with the rest of the cast. Even Cerebella looks more mobile sometimes...
The first character I was drawn to was Filia, because she felt most like MvC2 to me(my all-time favorite fighter). I'm thinking about getting back into the mix with this game and was wondering if anyone who mains Filia has some good advice on who to pair her with? Part of me WANTS to play 3 characters to give myself more of a MvC2 feel, but from what little I played of the game 2 characters seems to be the best option(correct me if I am wrong here).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Two characters is great and so is a three person team. You generally want to pair her with other invincible assists for protection and assists that pin people down. It depends on whether or not you want her on point though. She can make for a pretty good assist character that can compliment Peacock or Painwheel thanks to her DP.
Also, what is a decent bnb with Filia at this point? I'm almost certain the little bullshit I came up with on day one is worthless by now.
Anything that ends with you on the opposite side of your starting point and anything that leads to good resets in general.
Finally done 10 years later x.x You still up for games?
Just send a message on PSN or something.

zlatko

Banned
So I bought the game to help support the team even though I know I won't play much.

Spent about 3-4 hours with it. Was going to just use Peacock, but Ms. Valentine is so god like that that is all I play. Super well designed character who is a ton of fun to play props to that.

Complaints:
The standard should be win 2 rounds no matter if it's 1v1, or a 1v2 or whatever. 1 round is just not enough to learn your opponents tactics, at least not for me. :(

Load screens are a turd and a half my God.

Tutorial mode having the instructions blocked by character if you are facing to the right.

Last complaint is probably on my own end, but I can't find any games with less than high 60's ping. None. I did probably 20 ranked matches, and not one came lower than 65. I'm in Colorado and pick west coast, same region, set my GGPO delay to 4, but still get lag rounds/games often.

You're having laggy matches with mid 60 pings?

My face lights up whenever I get those because I know they won't be laggy.

Everything under 110 ping has been really smooth for me.

Well that's that. Don't know why it got so laggy at the end.
It wasn't on my end. GG regardless. I actually have better Parasoul combos now.
Spent about 3-4 hours with it. Was going to just use Peacock, but Ms. Valentine is so god like that that is all I play. Super well designed character who is a ton of fun to play props to that.
Valentine is much better than most people realize even now. Such a crazy character.
Complaints:
The standard should be win 2 rounds no matter if it's 1v1, or a 1v2 or whatever. 1 round is just not enough to learn your opponents tactics, at least not for me. :(
We only have eight characters and even custom assists won't make the game THAT deep. You'll be running into similar teams a lot because of this. Making it 2 rounds may just make the roster seem smaller. It fits just right with singles though. It should definitely be upped once the roster hits 12+ characters. I may ask Mike Z about this to see what he has to say.

Edit: Someone made a thread about it too.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...unt-of-rounds-regardless-of-team-size.159464/
Load screens are a turd and a half my God.
Yeah, they are not so good on the 360 version. If they are patched to run as well as they do on the PS3 then it won't be a problem. PS3 load times never pass two seconds. It's lighting fast there.
Last complaint is probably on my own end, but I can't find any games with less than high 60's ping. None. I did probably 20 ranked matches, and not one came lower than 65. I'm in Colorado and pick west coast, same region, set my GGPO delay to 4, but still get lag rounds/games often.
Have you checked your connection? Most of my matches on PC GGPO and Skullgirls run great up to 110 ping or so. Pings of 60 feel silky smooth.
You're having laggy matches with mid 60 pings?

My face lights up whenever I get those because I know they won't be laggy.

Everything under 110 ping has been really smooth for me.
Yeah, something is up on his end. Sixty ping is great. I'm surprised by all the sub 60 pings I get though. Like 70% of my matches are sub 70 ping. The rest are West coast and most of them are perfectly playable at 90 ping.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah I'll figure out the internet situation. It has to be on my end.

I just saw on Reach the other day my Nat is not set to open, so maybe it has to do with that and I need to figure out how to do it.

Bigger roster or smaller though, I still feel two rounds to win should be the standard across the board.

If I change it to that, will it be that way even in quick match online ?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Top Bottom