• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man, thats a handful, sucks that there isnt really much treatment (or is it money being put into research?)

Thanks for answering, I find these conditions and the people that deal with them tremendously interesting.

Now show me your pad configs >:D Those shoulder buttons kill me! (used to be a pad player)

And my shoulders kill me! ZING!

anyways. I play fighters with the snes config

lp mp
lk mk for the face buttons

L1 hp L2 3p
R1 hk R2 3k

bon

The people online are too good for me to put up a fight against now. I liked it better when the game just came out and everybody sucked. ;_;

Soooo ... how about those voice lines Marie has hiding in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1tK-9tG3M

Were it just this I don't think it'd be TOO terribly surprising, they had already gotten the voice actress in for some random boss lines so it'd make sense to go ahead and just fill in lines for use in the future. Sorta sounds like Lambda overall, I could easily imagine her sweep lines being used for some supers.

Were it just this I'd still think Umbrella/Squigly had better shots at getting in before Marie but ... how about that reference to her from the narrator for character select?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPDROSXJHWA

Snap. Potential first DLC char? It'd make sense given the few completed frames she has and seemingly complete voice work (the crux of it being the narrator reference in my eyes).

notworksafe

Hey Ravidrath, just had a quick question that you can hopefully answer.

I was looking to buy a few Skullgirls logo Tshirts for tourney prizes but was just wondering what brand you guys use for the shirts? And do they shrink after washing? Not sure what sizes I should buy based on fit and possible shrinking.

Soooo ... how about those voice lines Marie has hiding in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPDROSXJHWA

That's not Marie's voice. :[

Snap. Potential first DLC char? It'd make sense given the few completed frames she has and seemingly complete voice work (the crux of it being the narrator reference in my eyes).

Maybe she originally was planned to be on the base roster, or she is planned as DLC. However, that's no guarantee for her to be in the game. Konami already has mislead people who would hack into sound data once with a stunt like that, in Castlevania Harmony of Despair - the characters could partner up with someone else and initiate attacks called Dual Crush, where they would yell out the other character's name (e.g. Simon, Alucard, etc.). One of the names was Hammer (supposedly from Aria/Dawn of Sorrow), but he never made it into the game, although all the other characters who were in the Dual Crush voice files made it in either as starting roster or DLC characters.

That's not Marie's voice. :[

Lol whoops, posted same link twice. Zzz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1tK-9tG3M

Maybe she originally was planned to be on the base roster, or she is planned as DLC. However, that's no guarantee for her to be in the game.

We're in agreement here, just speculation to incite some conversation. I didn't know the lines for Marie (fixed) were that complete.

Konami snip

Konami really doesn't have much say in what characters do and don't end up as DLC. I mean they're literally just the publisher as far as I know so the Castelvania example really doesn't have much relevance in this context.

Konami really doesn't have much say in what characters do and don't end up as DLC. I mean they're literally just the publisher as far as I know so I can't say the Castelvania references really have much relevance in this context.

I mostly used that as an example; that Konami is publishing this game was just a coincidence that worked out in my favor. ;)
What datamining finds in terms of left-over data is not necessarily a hint towards the future; to give you another example, in the data of Marvel vs Capcom 3, people found character folders, with all the characters that were in the game, including the 2 DLC characters and Galactus, but also found 2 folders named after Frank West and Doctor Octopus. Only one of them made it into the sequel.
Another example would be Smash Bros. Brawl... this game has so much unused data stowed away - character folders, character sound files (albeit empty), an textual list of unused BGM and victory jingles, unused attacks...

I mostly used that as an example; that Konami is publishing this game was just a coincidence that worked out in my favor. ;)
What datamining finds in terms of left-over data is not necessarily a hint towards the future; to give you another example, in the data of Marvel vs Capcom 3, people found character folders, with all the characters that were in the game, including the 2 DLC characters and Galactus, but also found 2 folders named after Frank West and Doctor Octopus. Only one of them made it into the sequel.
Another example would be Smash Bros. Brawl... this game has so much unused data stowed away - character folders, character sound files (albeit empty), an textual list of unused BGM and victory jingles, unused attacks...

I'm not saying that Marie's inclusion in the game is 100% confirmed but I think you and I would both agree that it certainly doesn't hurt her chances, especially when you've gone out to specifically record lines for the character select. The game, from everything that's been said from the devs during the course of development, had always intended to have a roster of 8 characters so, to me at least, recording a 9th line for character select means something potentially significant.

This example was neat I think;
~"One of the names was Hammer (supposedly from Aria/Dawn of Sorrow), but he never made it into the game, although all the other characters who were in the Dual Crush voice files made it in either as starting roster or DLC characters. "

It certainly lends credibility to the voice lines ...

Is Brawl really an example that you want to use in comparison to Skullgirls though? When the game had 0 plans for DLC from the outset? Unused content in that context stays fundamentally unused. When you consider that it was a triple A project that had a ton of people working on it and a ton of money pumped into it, the potential for wasted resources in the form of unused content (you cited attack moves, character folders, etc) is greater. Is it as likely that a downloadable game with far more limited resources and plans for DLC would go out to fully voice a character and make it a point to record a 9th line of dialogue for character select if they weren't intended for future use?

Obviously this is all speculation, I'll repeat again that I don't believe this means an outright confirmation. For me at least though the character select file remains the most compelling evidence, enough for me to think that she's easily more likely now to be first DLC char than Squigly or Umbrella (speculated as being the first two DLC until this point).

I made a pretty long post with speculation, but then I accidentally pressed a wrong button and all is gone now. I am quite mad, to say the least. I'll formulate it out again later, maybe after getting some sleep.

But in short:
- Instead of Hammer, Castlevania HD introduced another character that wasn't in the sound files. That character never received any voice actor, nor did he receive any of the yells in Dual Crushes later on.
- Voice actors often say lines that aren't used, but might be useful to the hiring party simply because they don't want to call the VA in again just to, in this case, say "Marie!". It's not a matter of having the VA say a couple more things during his job, but rather of hiring them again.
- It would totally be in-character for Reverge to come with an entirely unexpected character out of the blue just to mindfuck us.

I made a pretty long post with speculation, but then I accidentally pressed a wrong button and all is gone now. I am quite mad, to say the least. I'll formulate it out again later, maybe after getting some sleep.

Ctrl+Z? :p

- Voice actors often say lines that aren't used, but might be useful to the hiring party simply because they don't want to call the VA in again just to, in this case, say "Marie!". It's not a matter of having the VA say a couple more things during his job, but rather of hiring them again.
- It would totally be in-character for Reverge to come with an entirely unexpected character out of the blue just to mindfuck us.

Your point about VA's interests me though, why is it JUST Marie who's line is the only one spoken of in char. select outside of the original 8? Your interpretation of the logic behind including Marie's voice makes sense to me ... so why not get him to record lines for any number of alleged DLC chars? Why doesn't he have a line for Umbrella or Squigly? Why is it, if hiring him again would have been an inconvenience, haven't we come across similar references for other characters in the form of a short quip for character select?

The only explanation I can think of is that, given the amount of time taken to make each character, they saw it as something they'd bring him back for farther down the line and that it just wasn't worth the trouble at the time. Other priorities perhaps? We had the current incarnation of the narrator for quite some time before release so time constraints don't really make sense to me.

Granted on the mindfuck.

Galdelico

Damn this game feels so much better on PS3... Loading times are definitely faster (I just tried the demo, after having bought and played the game on 360) and I may actualy double dip tomorrow, when SG will be available in EU. Plus my new Hori pad should arrive just in time...

Maybe it's already been said - and in case I'm sorry - but... What's about the update I just downloaded (XBLA)?

NEO0MJ

Your point about VA's interests me though, why is it JUST Marie who's line is the only one spoken of in char. select outside of the original 8? Your interpretation of the logic behind including Marie's voice makes sense to me ... so why not get him to record lines for any number of alleged DLC chars? Why doesn't he have a line for Umbrella or Squigly? Why is it, if hiring him again would have been an inconvenience, haven't we come across similar references for other characters in the form of a short quip for character select?

My guess is that Marie was originally meant to be playable like fellow bosses Valentine and Double but time/money constraints forced them to just make her a floating boss who likes to point at you. I mean we already know that the last character to be made, Double, lost her one truly original blockbuster, which was the only move other than her grab where she attacked in her monster form.

ScOULaris

So I downloaded the demo last night and finally gave this game a try.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but two things are bothering me:

1) Lack of in-game moves lists - Yeah, this has already been mentioned a lot. For a game with so many thoughtful inclusions, why the hell would this be left out?

2) Slow walk speeds. There are only two characters in the demo, but their walk speeds are so slow that you pretty much have to constantly be dashing/jumping in order to get in and out. Is that how the other characters in the full game are too?

Damn this game feels so much better on PS3... Loading times are definitely better (I just tried the demo, after having bought and played the game on 360). I may actualy double dip tomorrow, when SG will be available in EU.

Maybe it's already been said - and in case I'm sorry - but... What's about the update I just downloaded (XBLA)?

The hitbox glitch is much less prevalent too. PS3 lead SKU confirmed?

Galdelico

The hitbox glitch is much less prevalent too. PS3 lead SKU confirmed?
That's true.
No matter how often you clean you HDD cache on 360, that thing just always happens when you use 2-3 characters teams. I played PS3 trial alot on Arcade and I never encountered the glitch.

Btw, just completed another Arcade run on 360 and still wonder what that update did, since nothing seems changed to me.

Dachande

I wouldn't say that. He couldn't do anything to ChrisG's UPBACK. He started to get predictable. Also, watch the fucking head.

Yes, I posted that before the final when he was destroying everyone else.

Btw, just completed another Arcade run on 360 and still wonder what that update did, since nothing seems changed to me.

The update was just a compatibility fix for flight sticks and music controllers to stop them breaking on the main menu, nothing obvious.

Ravidrath

There was an incredibly obscure controller bug that MS required us to fix. If you had an especially non-standard controller plugged in, like a guitar or flight stick, you couldn't get past MS's system menus.

I have yet to see one person claim to have had this happen to them, yet we had to burn our free patch it on it or suffer a delay until mid-May.

Nabs

There was an incredibly obscure controller bug that MS required us to fix. If you had an especially non-standard controller plugged in, like a guitar or flight stick, you couldn't get past MS's system menus.

I have yet to see one person claim to have had this happen to them, yet we had to burn our free patch it on it or suffer a delay until mid-May.

:(

Galdelico

Thanks dude.
Maybe someone in MS tried to emulate what you did on that video. :p

I'm joking, it really sucks to hear that you had to waste the free patch to fix that bullshit. Is it gonna have any consequence on your original bugfix-schedule on 360 version (dunno, ingame movelist on PS3 first and such things)?

NEO0MJ

Thanks dude.

I'm joking, it really sucks to hear that you had to waste the free patch to fix that bullshit. Is it gonna have any consequence on your original bugfix-schedule on 360 version (dunno, ingame movelist on PS3 first and such things)?

This. Will the PS3 patch come alone now or will you just delay both patches until you get more fixes?

Ravidrath

Thanks dude.

That silly video was actually our coping mechanism while we were working on and testing the fix. :p

And it doesn't really effect our patch plans. Those will still mostly center around DLC character releases, since we need to force an update on everyone to play against them online.

This. Will the PS3 patch come alone now or will you just delay both patches until you get more fixes?

Doesn't really change anything for the PS3 version.

Galdelico

That silly video was actually our coping mechanism while we were working on and testing the fix. :p

And it doesn't really effect our patch plans. Those will still mostly center around DLC character releases, since we need to force an update on everyone to play against them online.
Glad to hear that. I'm gonna get the game on PS3 too tomorrow, just in case. :)

Oh, and literally cannot wait for Art Galleries to come as well.

Roubjon

I'm watching Skullgirls Top 8 stream archive for last weekend's Civil War 4 and I was just thinking how awesome it must feel to hear your own game's intro music playing in the background at fighting game tournaments.

I can't wait until finals are over and I can play this game non-stop.

Kokonoe

Banned
This may get overlooked, but I wanted to point out i'm really satisfied there is an option to play as a powerful single character. I really am not too fond of playing multiple characters, so this option is really nice.

Reminds me of Capcpom VS SNK for Dreamcast.

This may get overlooked, but I wanted to point out i'm really satisfied there is an option to play as a powerful single character. I really am not too fond of playing multiple characters, so this option is really nice.

Reminds me of Capcpom VS SNK for Dreamcast.

I love my Single Double. I'd only be happier if I could Triple Double on a Single Team.

Of course memory constraints or something was mentioned for why that can't be, but it'd still be awesome.

I love my Single Double. I'd only be happier if I could Triple Double on a Single Team.

oEjUJ.png

shaowebb

Just played some UMVC3 trying to come up with an Iron Fist team again. Used Iron Fist/Shuma/Taskmaster and things were okay.

Ran into Zero/Frank/Wesker and I am now even more incredibly thankful to Reverge Labs for removing loops, unblockables, and infinites from the board in their game. At least when I lose at Skullgirls it feels fair.

Just played some UMVC3 trying to come up with an Iron Fist team again. Used Iron Fist/Shuma/Taskmaster and things were okay.

Ran into Zero/Frank/Wesker and I am now even more incredibly thankful to Reverge Labs for removing loops, unblockables, and infinites from the board in their game. At least when I lose at Skullgirls it feels fair.

Skullgirls has its fair share of annoying things at the moment. Nomnom loops for one have been cited as an issue that MikeZ is definitely going to fix and its been quite an adjustment trying to adapt to the power of normal throws in this game as well. It's a combination of the small tech window, no damage scaling, and general pace of the game. Taken individually it's not much of an issue but combined into a single game and ... yikes.

Does it compare to the amount of things that bug me in UMVC3 though? Probably not.

Card Boy

Banned
Skullgirls is 60% more expensive on Australian PSN despite our dollar being worth more than the US one. ef that noise, I can't suppose this. Sorry.

I tried out something with Painwheel that Mike Z mentioned the other day. If you have two Painwheels you can actually fly to the top of the stage. Little insmouth is a nice stage to do this on. You can actually see the Dagonian NPCs much better.
Skullgirls is 60% more expensive on Australian PSN despite our dollar being worth more than the US one. ef that noise, I can't suppose this. Sorry.
Don't tell that to us. Tell it to Sony and Microsoft. Those guys are the ones that set the prices.

Of course memory constraints or something was mentioned for why that can't be, but it'd still be awesome.
Those were fun games a couple of days ago.

some tips:
-cancel blocked hornet bombers into cat super. I'm pretty sure it's a safe move that'll protect you from being punished
-end hornet bomber with bionic car at least. I was expecting more followups, but it didn't happen
-Do you know how to set pushblock? I set it to a macro on my left bumper. It's useful as hell against double

Also, why would you want triple double? One is already scary enough. @_@

Get an American PSN account and buy it there. It isn't like the service is IP locked ala XBL Games on Demand.

Card Boy

Banned
Get an American PSN account and buy it there. It isn't like the service is IP locked ala XBL Games on Demand.

Problem is I'm not desperate for it and it's very easy for me to say no to something when I'm being inconvienced. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops.

Problem is I'm not desperate for it and it's very easy for me to say no to something when I'm being inconvienced. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops.

Oh, it's one of those bothered enough to post about it on a forum but not enough to buy it things. Gotcha. I thought you were looking for suggestions or solutions or something.

In that case, it would be wise to voice concerns to MS and Sony as SolarPowered mentioned. Ravidrath can't change the price of it.

Well maybe he didn't know or think to do that. It's a Skullgrils thread, aye? For discussing the game? Well he had a problem with the game and so mentioned it in the appropriate place. Stop being thread police yo. Or I'll make ye a badge.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I asked a mod if it was okay to make a thread about the news of an EU/AUS release and the OST a few days ago, but I got no response. Would it be okay if I just made a thread for the OST, the PC release and the PSN launch for EU/AUS territories today? I have no clue about that when the game has an OT...

Of course you can. new threads for new news.

Just downloaded the Euro PSN release, decided the first thing i'd do was go through the tutorial, why this isn't a standard feature in fighting games I haven't the foggiest idea. I'd already got the basic idea of things from learning the hard way in other games but it's good to see terms explained. Even so that was still hard work, memorizing combos isn't my forte.
But those grab counters, the timing seems to be really tricky, I think i've already been caught in enough yarn based throws to last a lifetime from that one task.

Top Bottom