• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ravidrath

I'm a bit late on this, but for the record, there was another user on different board I frequent who consistently mentioned his stick fucking up his menus and having to alternate between hitting the guide button until he actually made it into an in game match and out of the menus. Switching to another(really shitty) stick fixed his problem, although ultimately, he just ended up selling it.

Yeah, that guy's stick had unwired buttons. Since no official peripherals have unwired buttons, it's not something that MS or Konami would test.

Most custom sticks wire all the buttons now, but I guess whatever one he had didn't.

Crocodile

So Ravidrath, I know the first DLC character will be timed with the first patch (could we expect to hear more about this round say E3?). But what about additional colors and avatars?

After having the OST for awhile, I've decided that A Roll of the Dice is my favorite song.

I wish it looped longer than it does, though. Having it fade in and out constantly is annoying when it's on repeat.

I splurged on the OST myself last night, it's almost like the Castlevania fix i've been needing since Lords of shadow went all grandiose orchestra, well the Michiru Yamane tracks at least. Okay that's selling it short, that combined with the jazzy style makes for a nice soundtrack (I'm coining the phrase Jazzvania for it), i'm not sure what my favourite track is yet though, it will require more listening.

I splurged on the OST myself last night, it's almost like the Castlevania fix i've been needing since Lords of shadow went all grandiose orchestra, well the Michiru Yamane tracks at least. Okay that's selling it short, that combined with the jazzy style makes for a nice soundtrack (I'm coining the phrase Jazzvania for it), i'm not sure what my favourite track is yet though, it will require more listening.

Lol, Jazzvania. Yeah one of the tracks sounds like a Portrait of Ruin B-side. And the cathedral stage is evocative of a Yamane Castlevania track.

Dachande

So I think this goes further than just "man microsoft just being dicks"

That wasn't really what I meant. Fixing that problem is fair enough - I'm saying MS are dicks about their patching system, in making developers pay a huge sum of money for patches past the first free one, which is unlike Sony or Valve where patches are either cost the bandwidth they use or are free. Forcing a dev to use their free patch and not comping the cost for a bizarre, rare issue that was unlikely to be found in normal QA (and thus potentially nullifying other post-release support plans) is a dick move.

Jintor

Yeah, my biggest complaint about the tutorials. Aside from the lack of move-list.

/edit not an invitation to complain about people complaining about the movelist, it's a minor inconvenience

Sup Holmes?: Punch some butts with Skullgirls's Mike Z

Introduction
1:35- The beginning of the engine before meeting Alex Ahad who designed the world and the characters
4:25- Character design and inspirations. Why no Shotos?
6:25- Rational behind defense options in the game. Difference between runaway and zoning
8:20- Would you add new moves to old characters in Skullgirls? Does quality beat quantity?
14:00- What are your thoughts on one hit kill combos? Mike talks about making a skill based fighter. X-factor is an intersting comeback mechanic
19:20- Stories of real life salt overloads. THAT'S POWER/RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE and Juggernaut is Mike's friend. Cameos in Skullgirls
23:00- Game art and animation. 2D is difficult to produce on modern consoles
26:00- Character design and controversy. Shoutouts to Zabel's Space Jam. Choice of initial characters shown off. Dicks will be DLC
32:00- Backstories and their impact on gameplay/fighting styles. What post release discoveries surprise you? Encouraging resets over ToD combo
39:25- Ideas for 3D games and Skullgirls. The 2D artstyle was a labor of love. No comment on Konami
42:00- Bias in character design. Philosophy behind making good grapplers.
48:00- We need to go deeper tier lists. How to understand tier lists. Gaps in tiers and their influence in different games
51:40- Updates and longevity of fighters. Striking a balance. DLC is best as post release support. Disc locked content is dicey
57:50- Characters take about 2-3 months to make. BB probably won't be his next competive game. :(

This is definitely a good listen for anyone interested in fighters as a genre. They cover more than just Skullgirls. The second half has a lot of my favorite stuff and I'm glad that my take on tier lists is similar to Mike Z's thoughts. This is just a small bite of the wisdom that Mike regularly dispenses on the SRK/DL boards. Damn, I wish folks like Dahbomb and GB liked the game enough to keep up with the news. Having Mike Z around this much would be like being able to hear Seth talking candidly about Marvel(not when he is on the clock). It's nice to hear about this sort of stuff from actual developers and high level players.

Their talking about characters and the recent VA videos also reminded me about something I read on SRK. I have no idea if you have any sort of influence on the subject, Rav, but I would absolutely love the idea of Big Band communicating by songs and short tunes with a Saxaphone. It sounds like something straight out of cartoon network. Please pass the idea along to Alex if you ever get the chance. :p
I'M A REPUBLICAN
I saw Ms.Fortune's playthrough last night. Oh God this was stupid as hell lol. Double's voice is amazing and I loved how they zoomed in on Val's breasts while her VA was talking in New Meridian.
Haha, I love how Peacock's VA is just as crazy as the character she portrays. There's a few matches of them playing against each other. Still cracking up over "I can see your crotch from over here! Nyahahaha!".
I don't know why, but she sounds like a leprechaun to me. I didn't expect her to be as crazy as her character at all lol.
Mike_Z teaches Parasoul VA, how to play Parasoul.

This shit is hilarious. Mike actually gives out some good tips amongst the madness. lol
Saw this on SRK, but I have not watched it yet. I expect lots of screaming for egrets and much swearing.

Ravidrath

So Ravidrath, I know the first DLC character will be timed with the first patch (could we expect to hear more about this round say E3?). But what about additional colors and avatars?

Colors we're still deciding. Originally we were thinking 4-6 weeks after release, but it may be longer now.

We're still trying to work things out, but there may be an update before the first DLC character to update some of the more pressing issues, and we'd want to release the color packs after or around the same time as that. Basically, we're trying not to ask for additional money until we've fixed some of the problems.

Sorry for being a dick a while back. I bought Skullgirls and it's actually pretty good.

All is forgiven - welcome back!

Lol, Jazzvania. Yeah one of the tracks sounds like a Portrait of Ruin B-side. And the cathedral stage is evocative of a Yamane Castlevania track.

Welp, those posts managed to convince me to snag the OST as well. Totally love it, by the way.

And this post managed to convince me to visit Destructoid for the first time in 2 years. I've got far less willpower than I thought :/

Sorry for being a dick a while back. I bought Skullgirls and it's actually pretty good.

Bygones, brah.

Ravidrath

Interesting. I figured that was the case, but I was slightly doubting it due to the unlikeliness of it.

I was trying to get a Mithra RSE palette for Ms. Fortune, too, but it didn't make the cut. :\

I've also been known to tweet Japanese things similarly to FFXI pull macros.

i.e. {Incredibly tough} Fan Art Friday {Found it!} (4-2) {Please check it.} <Call19>

vixlar

Welp, those posts managed to convince me to snag the OST as well. Totally love it, by the way.

And this post managed to convince me to visit Destructoid for the first time in 2 years. I've got far less willpower than I thought :/

Bygones, brah.

Wow, I didn't know about that victory in Street Fighter Alpha 3. Are there more of those?

Dachande

Guh, my friend just mentioned that he might stop playing this game because of the lack of a proper training mode. :( I like to pull out Filia's j.HP a lot when I'm under pressure, and he (as either Cerabella or Valentine) doesn't know how to punish it, and because there's no good training mode he can't sit there, set it repeatedly on a dummy and learn what its weaknesses are, so he's getting frustrated. He said he's actually tried by using his feet to control the second character at one point, but it wasn't good enough.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was trying to get a Mithra RSE palette for Ms. Fortune, too, but it didn't make the cut. :\

I've also been known to tweet Japanese things similarly to FFXI pull macros.

i.e. {Incredibly tough} Fan Art Friday {Found it!} (4-2) {Please check it.} <Call19>

Hopefully it makes future DLC. And cut it out, you're making me want to return to FFXI hah.

Crocodile

Colors we're still deciding. Originally we were thinking 4-6 weeks after release, but it may be longer now.

We're still trying to work things out, but there may be an update before the first DLC character to update some of the more pressing issues, and we'd want to release the color packs after or around the same time as that. Basically, we're trying not to ask for additional money until we've fixed some of the problems.

I appreciate your honest answer and your pro-consumer standpoint. I'm slightly concerned that you are "still" figuring things out (I feel like most companies have this all completely figured out before launch) but it is presumptuous for me to assume how hard/easy these things are to do and I know you are in a unique position compared to most other FG developers. The sooner the better obviously, wanna strike while the iron is hot, but you can't rush things either and risk doing a shitty job.

Anyone want to play later tonight on XBL? Haven't played in a week.

Wanna grind stuff out before D3 ruins my life.
Let me know if you are still up for it. I saw your post, but no specific times just let me drift back to SRK and other sites.
I appreciate your honest answer and your pro-consumer standpoint. I'm slightly concerned that you are "still" figuring things out (I feel like most companies have this all completely figured out before launch) but it is presumptuous for me to assume how hard/easy these things are to do and I know you are in a unique position compared to most other FG developers. The sooner the better obviously, wanna strike while the iron is hot, but you can't rush things either and risk doing a shitty job.
I like that they are "still" figuring things out. It just shows that they are trying to put a lot of thought into everything. Throwing out stuff like costume DLC ahead of the fixes that everyone is asking for will just leave some people with bitter. Look no further than SFxT getting gem/costume DLC while fundamental issues in the game are still not being tweaked(jabs, timer, gem attributes, on disc "free" costume dlc).

They can take their time. My wallet's gaping maw is waiting for the right moment to spit out those dollar bills.

Ravidrath

A lot of stuff is being worked on - what's being figured out is what all is the scope of the first patch. Like, what specifically will be going to in the first one, what's too risky, when we should submit, etc.

As long as Cerebella gets that Bunny Girl outfit, I will buy all your downloads.

All of them.

*edit*
Please don't tell the missus I said that!

Got! Add me on PSN - Captain_Spanky. Literally just got this though so I shall be poo.

Oh and does anyone have a decent button config suggestion for a ps3 controller? Not sure what to make my macros, what they should be etc.

Kudos to the team for making a fighter where I genuinely want to use every character. That's awesome!¬

God damn, every fight I get into against people online in EU PSN has me facing a Valentine regardless of other characters. I guess people really like her?

El Sloth

Banned
So, I haven't been paying attention to anything lately. Can anyone tell me if there have been any balance patches yet?

I want to know if I can still abuse Double's butt slam assist with Peacock.

shaowebb

I like Valentine because she has a little of everything I like. Air Hyper thats solid, ability to dash across the screen quick,good pokes, spacing tool projectiles and I really really dig the ability to mess with hitstun using her.
If Valentine is on your team you can pretty much get different combos to work just off of that hitstun trick and her DHC out of an air Hyper is pretty solid damage in a pinch when you got the meter to just say screw looking for the combo and decide to 2 hyper punish something. If you can use it to punish someone else's hyper or assist its even better.

Just a fun character to play or to put on teams really.

joe2187

Banned
I must be doing something wrong.

Peacock/Double I can take care of with my solo fortune no issue.

Solo Peacock and all of a sudden I'm getting double perfected I ...wuhh...uhhwwuu..huuueewwaa

I must be doing something wrong.

Peacock/Double I can take care of with my solo fortune no issue.

Solo Peacock and all of a sudden I'm getting double perfected I ...wuhh...uhhwwuu..huuueewwaa

Well, single characters do more damage. Maybe you got hit the same amount of times, but the higher damage did you in.

I've only just given online a whirl since I have like some kind of online fear that prevents me from trying it straight away. Had 3 matches, 2 of which I won, i'm sure that's a better start than most of my online fighting game ventures. It ran smoothly, no problems there at all which is great. But finding matches on the other hand, that hasn't gone so well at all but hey it gives me greater appreciation for the menu music.

God damn, every fight I get into against people online in EU PSN has me facing a Valentine regardless of other characters. I guess people really like her?

Valentine reminds me of Cammy's nippy style, who's my main in almost every game she's in. And yes I do like the boobs. Oh and are their taunts?

joe2187

Banned
Valentine reminds me of Cammy's nippy style, who's my main in almost every game she's in. And yes I do like the boobs. Oh and are their taunts?

Best taunt in the game

tumblr_m35l1nSAUL1qgacbfo1_400.gif

Top Bottom