• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

BooJoh

Even though my Rewards R Us page didn't list some of my purchases as qualifying, I still got the free figure coupon from Toys R Us. It's for any figure in-store, and expires at the end of this month. Since I have all except for the new wave I'm hoping I can either get one of those or at least find a rare variant or something I wouldn't mind having a double of, like Sonic Boom. I'd rather not just end up with another Boomer out of this.

Just picked up an Empire of Ice Adventure Pack at GameStop this morning. Still haven't seen anything else out of the new wave anywhere though...

My son lost his wireless USB receiver (PS3).

We contacted Activision US and they sent one 5 days later for free, they did not even require proof of purchase.

Great support.

neobiz

My son lost his wireless USB receiver (PS3).

We contacted Activision US and they sent one 5 days later for free, they did not even require proof of purchase.

Great support.

Wow, Activision? Support? Free?

I'm not scared of my kid losing that receiver, I'm scared of ME losing it. He would be pissed.

Great game btw, my kid collects all kinds of crap and now with the price just out of his (our impulse) range he wants to do his chores to get new characters. Win win baby. We're just about to the end and we need to go back and collect a lot of stuff so hopefully he stays interested for a good bit.

chiQ

Now there's a thought. I'd consider buying a Vita if that were the case. I would really like to play the 3DS version, but don't want a 3DS badly enough.

fernoca

Does anyone know if there's a possibility that Skylanders will be developed for the PS Vita? I can't find any information on this either way.
Possibilities are always there, but no word about anything yet.

3DS sequel seems like a no-brainer since the game received overall great response and Vicarious received good amount of praise for the game; on top that they have good relationships with Nintendo. (They're known for squeeze stuff in Nintendo hardware like the "3D" GBA Tony Hawk games, DLC on a Wii game -Guitar Hero- and the creation of the Guitar-grip for Guitar Hero DS; among other things...)

But we'll see.
If anything, at least after the general praise for all version, great sales and surpassing expectations..a sequel will definitely receive more coverage than the original, which was mostly ignored before and during the time leading to release and people just laughed at the idea and Activision. :p

Just came back from scouting out some stores in St.Catharines, Ontario. Wal-Mart empty. Toys'R'Us empty. Future Shop empty. EB Games empty.

However, while I was at EB Games, I was told that I could pre-order the Empire of Ice adventure pack as well as singles of the next wave. The girl who helped me told me that, according to their computer, they were scheduled to get the new wave on February 20th. So I pre-ordered the EoI adventure pack along with three single figures. She said that I'd get first dibs on picking which single characters that I wanted when they arrive. She also seemed to believe that, since the new wave is already hitting shelves in the U.S., it's likely that they will get the new wave in much earlier than February 20th. In that case, she assured me that they would give me a call if they came in early. So whatever the case, it seems as though I've reserved myself EoI and three of the next wave figures.

Still need a few of the older figures, especially one of the elusive air figures. Damn you, Sonic Boom. Every time I see you in one of those enclosed in-store demo displays, your mocking stare taunts me...

bumpkin

Just came back from scouting out some stores in St.Catharines, Ontario. Wal-Mart empty. Toys'R'Us empty. Future Shop empty. EB Games empty.

However, while I was at EB Games, I was told that I could pre-order the Empire of Ice adventure pack as well as singles of the next wave. The girl who helped me told me that, according to their computer, they were scheduled to get the new wave on February 20th. So I pre-ordered the EoI adventure pack along with three single figures. She said that I'd get first dibs on picking which single characters that I wanted when they arrive. She also seemed to believe that, since the new wave is already hitting shelves in the U.S., it's likely that they will get the new wave in much earlier than February 20th. In that case, she assured me that they would give me a call if they came in early. So whatever the case, it seems as though I've reserved myself EoI and three of the next wave figures.

Still need a few of the older figures, especially one of the elusive air figures. Damn you, Sonic Boom. Every time I see you in one of those enclosed in-store demo displays, your mocking stare taunts me...
She must have been into you
or blowing smoke up your butt
. Chances are they'll come in when she's not working, go out onto the floor, and you'll be lucky if there's any left to pick from. Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but my friend is a store manager and he's basically told me the best he can do is tell me when they come in; he can't hold any for me. It's probably an order from on-high.

But then again, maybe I'm wrong. People in Canada are nice. People here in America are assholes. lol.

I hope Spyro hasn't been demoted to a mere Skylander, the only thing I'm okay with in his involvement is that Activision wanted to get his name out there to the masses, and they sure did by the bucketload.

Now do the right thing and make a real classic-era Spyro game. :( Get High Impact Games, Eurocom, Vicarious, or even Toys For Bob to do it, but a REAL Spyro game that we've been wanting for years.

I bought my best friends son one of these as a stocking stuffer for christmas. I didn't know they are this popular. After looking at this thread I almost want to go get one for myself now to play. Maybe even get one for his dad to since were all gamers.

ghostmind

A question for you all... my son got this for Christmas and has invested a lot of time leveling up his favorite characters, but now he wants me to start playing it so he can watch and help out. Can I use the same figures, or will I have go out and pick up my own, as i don't want to impact the progression he has made.

fernoca

A question for you all... my son got this for Christmas and has invested a lot of time leveling up his favorite characters, but now he wants me to start playing it so he can watch and help out. Can I use the same figures, or will I have go out and pick up my own, as i don't want to impact the progression he has made.
If you don't want to mess around his experience, etc. You might need to buy new ones.

The figures each store their own experience, stats, levels, hats, etc.; but only one data per figure. That can be erased in the game; which you don't want to do (I think). :p

I hope Spyro hasn't been demoted to a mere Skylander, the only thing I'm okay with in his involvement is that Activision wanted to get his name out there to the masses, and they sure did by the bucketload.

Now do the right thing and make a real classic-era Spyro game. :( Get High Impact Games, Eurocom, Vicarious, or even Toys For Bob to do it, but a REAL Spyro game that we've been wanting for years.
Kinda.
Toys for Bob explained that they were asked to choose one franchise "to reboot" and they chose Spyro (and tried with "mature looks", regular platforming, etc..and weren't just happy); so if anything blame them. :p
Activision (fully)and Bobby Kotick apparently, didn't entered for the most part till later. Vicarious mentioned something similar while working in the guitar-grip for the DS Guitar Hero game and how they basically made it and then pitched the idea to Activision (but then knew they needed Nintendo's help, so pitched it to Nintendo..which like the idea and gave them support). So, guess Activision gives the team some time and resources to experiment on their own.

Went to Target today and they had a bunch of figures. I went to toysrus, walmart and best buy and they were all gone. I went back to target to get the 2 elements my son was missing. Cant believe how popular this is.

ghostmind

If you don't want to mess around his experience, etc. You might need to buy new ones.

The figures each store their own experience, stats, levels, hats, etc.; but only one data per figure. That can be erased in the game; which you don't want to do (I think).

That's what I thought - it'll give me an excuse to pick up some different ones than he has.

fernoca

Is this a fun local coop game with kids? For reference, my son loves the lego games, castle crashers, and mario games. Good fit?
Yeah. Imagine (if you remember ) Gauntlet and that's pretty much it (you can't jump neither). :p
Basically move around stages, look for keys, items, chests, beats hordes of enemies, move on.

[Well, on consoles/PC at least, 3DS version is a platformer and doesn't have co-op or multiplayer for that matter]

Double D

Is this a fun local coop game with kids? For reference, my son loves the lego games, castle crashers, and mario games. Good fit?

I've got 2 boys who love the lego games. They absolutely love this. The whole concept with the figures is really really neat. Honestly now that I think about it, the 'rarity' of these things has amped up this experience a whole bunch. Nothing like scouring the stores to find out that one figure you're missing. Also, I've never seen my kids go batshit crazy like when I came home with Whirlwind.

She must have been into you
or blowing smoke up your butt
. Chances are they'll come in when she's not working, go out onto the floor, and you'll be lucky if there's any left to pick from. Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but my friend is a store manager and he's basically told me the best he can do is tell me when they come in; he can't hold any for me. It's probably an order from on-high.

But then again, maybe I'm wrong. People in Canada are nice. People here in America are assholes. lol.
Haha! No, it's nothing like that here, at least at the store that I go to. I know that EB Games/Gamestop gets a bad rap pretty much from everyone, but the employees at the branch that I go to are awesome. Can any other Niagara area GAFers back me up here? It's the Geneva Street branch in St.Catharines. All of the employees there are very friendly, helpful and they generally know their stuff.

The girl that I did the pre-order with is one of the full-time staff and I'm in the store regularly enough that I'm sure that she recognizes me, especially when I'm there with my 5-year old daughter. I've pre-ordered many things with them before and they've always come through. I'm also willing to believe her because she is into Skylanders herself and she knew all of the characters and was just as amazed as we all are regarding their popularity. She has seen me come in there several times over the past few weeks with and without my daughter looking for new characters, so she knows that I'm hunting for them.

This is an extremely fun local co-op game with kids. My 5-year old daughter and I are having a blast with it. She loves being the portal master and is constantly switching the characters in and out. I would say that this is a somewhat simpler game in design and difficulty. The LEGO games can be a little frustrating sometimes with the platforming. There is limited platforming in Skylanders consisting of the occasional sequence with these bouncy pad thingies. Combat, I would say, is more fun and varied with Skylanders. However, death means nothing in the LEGO games, which significantly lowers the difficulty factor. With Skylanders, some characters lose their health REALLY fast with just a few hits and they need to be taken off the portal and replaced with another character for the rest of the level. This is usually not a problem with the exception of some of the boss battles where there are several waves of enemies to deal with, in which case it's nice to have some extra figures in reserve to get through the boss battle. So in general the gameplay is more simplistic and easy with some occasional areas where the difficulty spikes quite a bit.

I've got 2 boys who love the lego games. They absolutely love this. The whole concept with the figures is really really neat. Honestly now that I think about it, the 'rarity' of these things has amped up this experience a whole bunch. Nothing like scouring the stores to find out that one figure you're missing. Also, I've never seen my kids go batshit crazy like when I came home with Whirlwind.
Nice! That's a great feeling to see them go crazy like that. It makes the hunt worth it. My daughter wants Whirlwind SO badly. She absolutely loves unicorns, and as soon as we found Whirlwind's soul gem in the game and she saw frickin' rainbows shooting out of Whirlwind's frickin' horn during the subsequent character informational video (ie- advertisement), it was love at first sight.

I've also found it to be loads of fun hunting for these figures in the stores, but I've got to admit that I'm starting to get a little frustrated with finding only empty shelves. Since Christmas, I've really only had one big instant score where I snagged two 3-packs and two single packs which more than doubled our collection of characters from 7 to 15. Other than that it's been nada. Very frustrating...

Does anybody else question the value of the "DLC" areas that we get with the adventure packs? We've got the Darklight Crypt adventure pack and it just seemed short to me. I was hoping for something a little more meaty. At least each adventure pack comes with a new character, otherwise I don't know if it would be worth itI'm actually hoping for some traditional downloadable DLC levels somewhere down the road that are more extensive, perhaps even some kind of expansion. Any rumblings of anything like this, or is the Skylanders DLC destined to be limited to these relatively short adventure packs like Darklight Crypt and Empire of Ice?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Got Drobot, Boomer, and Voodood today. All are great--Drobot may be my favorite yet.

This game is phenomenal. Can't wait to see how they improve for the sequel.

The figures each store their own experience, stats, levels, hats, etc.; but only one data per figure. That can be erased in the game; which you don't want to do (I think). :p

Kinda.
Toys for Bob explained that they were asked to choose one franchise "to reboot" and they chose Spyro (and tried with "mature looks", regular platforming, etc..and weren't just happy); so if anything blame them. :p
Activision (fully)and Bobby Kotick apparently, didn't entered for the most part till later. Vicarious mentioned something similar while working in the guitar-grip for the DS Guitar Hero game and how they basically made it and then pitched the idea to Activision (but then knew they needed Nintendo's help, so pitched it to Nintendo..which like the idea and gave them support). So, guess Activision gives the team some time and resources to experiment on their own.

That's really amazing that Activision actually left them to their own devices. But like I said I'm worried that Spyro's now some second banana (AN UGLY second banana) in a new IP, rather than being that cool, silly purple dragon we all know and love (though my exposure to C. Spyro was in AHT, I never played the PS1 games, but I know of their significance).

fernoca

That's really amazing that Activision actually left them to their own devices. But like I said I'm worried that Spyro's now some second banana (AN UGLY second banana) in a new IP, rather than being that cool, silly purple dragon we all know and love (though my exposure to C. Spyro was in AHT, I never played the PS1 games, but I know of their significance).
Wouldn't surprise me if there's a "regular game" later on. Skylanders sold great and got a lot of exposure and sales; so if they make a standalone Spyro game it might be an easier to sell as "that purple dragon from Skylanders" to many. :p

Zing

Banned
I started my third play-through with my daughter tonight. This will be the second time for her. I was trying to wait for the final figures to hit, but it has become obvious that the set won't be finalized until the summer.

Is no one else bothered by the fact that you have to essentially pay extra $$ just to play the entire game (that comes on the disc)? How is it that this game gets away with that and any other game (for grown-ups) would get murdered for doing that.

It's a cool game and my son loves it to death, but they're marketing model is either brilliant or evil depending on your perspective.

fernoca

Is no one else bothered by the fact that you have to essentially pay extra $$ just to play the entire game (that comes on the disc)? How is it that this game gets away with that and any other game (for grown-ups) would get murdered for doing that.

It's a cool game and my son loves it to death, but they're marketing model is either brilliant or evil depending on your perspective.
The game hasn't been getting away with that, heck many are quite aware of that and others just decided to not support the game for that same reason. Nearly all reviews deducted points for that same reason.

Yet, the game's well done, the figurines are of great quality and the whole concept is interesting which is why for many the positives are more than the negatives. The entire game can be finished with just the starters and the extras just unlock more levels. Yeah is basically "paying" for content already on the disc, but at the same time many see it as paying for a figurine they like, that happens to unlock more content in the game.

So, yeah..is like a combination of brilliant AND evil marketing. :p

Zing

Banned

If there were not well designed and produced figures to go along with the content unlock, then there would be more reason to complain. The figures alone are worth the purchase price. My figures have seen plenty of play on their own, without using the game.

I also feel the game was not intended for everyone to get every figure. Sure, there are in-game bonuses you get for having more figures (experience boost, elemental damage boost, and "awards"), but having one or two of each element would be more than sufficient. The only reason I am considering finishing the set is because I want to play through the game one more time with fresh characters and no experience/elemental boost.

chiQ

They do make these games in order to make money (and then more games).

I think so long as you can complete a game out of the box it's okay.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For those who don't have them, Amazon has the Chop Chop/Bash/Eruptor 3-pack in stock right now, along with Voodood, Drobot, and Boomer single-characters.

Get them before the hoarders do.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Picked up cynder at Gamestop. Apparently the 6 pack box they are getting has her, Double Trouble, Whirlwind, Drill. Segeant, and two older figures.

Happy hunting.

Sarcasm, right?

What do you call pre-order bonuses? Weapon packs? Character add-ons? Only difference between Skylanders and "Games for Grown Ups" is Skylanders is upfront about it, and you get a cool collectable with your DLC.

Double D

Well it looks like my 6 yr old son wants these. Seems GS has the starter pack for $50. How bad are these gonna hurt my wallet?

Depends on if you want them all or not (just to be up front with yourself, that answer is yes, you want them all). 3 packs of figures go for $20, while single packs are between $8-$10 depending on where you get them. Then there's the level packs, which come with a dude, a level, and 2 little bonus items (think powerups) for either $20 or $25.

SCORE!!! I called Toys'R'Us right at opening at 9:30 this morning and the guy in the electronics section who picked up the phone immediately answered with "Thank you for calling Toys'R'Us. Yes, we do have Skylanders. How can I help you?" I then asked him if they had any figures in stock and he said that they only have single packs. I told him that I was specifically looking for Sonic Boom and he said "Yes, we have Sonic Boom." Fifteen minutes later, I'm standing in front of the Skylanders display at the Toys'R'Us, which was completely empty two days earlier, and there are a TON of single packs staring back at me! I immediately grabbed a Sonic Boom along with Prism Break and Voodood. My daughter is going to freak out when she sees that elusive Sonic Boom when she gets home from school this afternoon! SO satisfying to actually find some of these!

BTW, all of the figures were older ones. Still haven't seen any of the new Wave 3 figures in the wild...

Stopped at BB and ended up spending way more than I wanted. Got the adventure pack price matched to $50. Then they just stocked the shelves so I grabbed a drill dozer, flameslinger and chop chop. Also picked up the 3 pack with sonic boom, stealth elf and wreckingball.

This stuff is nuts while I was at BB the shelves literally got cleaned out.

Plinko

SCORE!!! I called Toys'R'Us right at opening at 9:30 this morning and the guy in the electronics section who picked up the phone immediately answered with "Thank you for calling Toys'R'Us. Yes, we do have Skylanders. How can I help you?" I then asked him if they had any figures in stock and he said that they only have single packs. I told him that I was specifically looking for Sonic Boom and he said "Yes, we have Sonic Boom." Fifteen minutes later, I'm standing in front of the Skylanders display at the Toys'R'Us, which was completely empty two days earlier, and there are a TON of single packs staring back at me! I immediately grabbed a Sonic Boom along with Prism Break and Voodood. My daughter is going to freak out when she sees that elusive Sonic Boom when she gets home from school this afternoon! SO satisfying to actually find some of these!

BTW, all of the figures were older ones. Still haven't seen any of the new Wave 3 figures in the wild...

That's nice! I want Prism Break really bad but can't find him anywhere.

Edit: Never mind. Just checked Amazon and he was in stock. He'll be here Friday.

Double D

Called around to a few gamestops and one of them had 1 Cynder left. Picked it up for my kid. Also, he said they had all the 'new' stuff over the past couple of days but had sold out.

Got pretty heavily into this when the game launched, played for a few weeks, and kinda packed my figures away. I have every figure and character pack up until the latest batch of Hex and Wrecking Ball... thinking maybe now would be a good time to unload these since they're apparently selling like hotcakes. Not like I'm just trying to make crazy money or anything, but I'm sure someone else would appreciate them more than the box I'm having them all sit in now.

Double D

Got pretty heavily into this when the game launched, played for a few weeks, and kinda packed my figures away. I have every figure and character pack up until the latest batch of Hex and Wrecking Ball... thinking maybe now would be a good time to unload these since they're apparently selling like hotcakes. Not like I'm just trying to make crazy money or anything, but I'm sure someone else would appreciate them more than the box I'm having them all sit in now.

If you're done with them, you might as well strike while the iron is hot. I sold 4 figures that were purchased in triple packs that we had already bought in single packs. So I sold the 4 figures, opened, on ebay and got $70.00 total. I put the starting bids each at $9.99.

Lan_97

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with new characters? I assume most of us already completed the game.

I just grind characters down both paths and choose my favorite, no one to pvp with. So each figure pretty much nets me an additional 20-30 minutes of playing the first section of Lair of Kaos.

BuzzJive

Sonic boom is in stock on Amazon now.

Sweet. They also had Stump Smash in stock. My son's bday is in 2 weeks, and he needed one from air and one from life, so I've got my bases covered. I may venture out to see if stores in my area got some stock too, but the last couple trips out were fruitless.

Top Bottom