• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

My daughter, 7 years old, is flipping out for this game after I showed it to her. She is reading all the back story, character stats and stories, and watching all the videos. I think I am going to make her wait til Xmas though. We usually get a couple of coop games on the Wii to play together each year, and this one looks fantastic for that kind of thing.

PixelJunkie said:
My daughter, 7 years old, is flipping out for this game after I showed it to her. She is reading all the back story, character stats and stories, and watching all the videos. I think I am going to make her wait til Xmas though. We usually get a couple of coop games on the Wii to play together each year, and this one looks fantastic for that kind of thing.

Meanie

B-Dex

Henk_Glimlach said:
Does anyone know how the magic items work that come with the adventure packs?

Put it on the portal and that's it!

The swords for example start attacking enemies right away after being put on the portal and the ring around the icon at the bottom of the screen is a timer for them. Once it's out of time you have to wait to use it again.

B-Dex said:

The swords for example start attacking enemies right away after being put on the portal and the ring around the icon at the bottom of the screen is a timer for them. Once it's out of time you have to wait to use it again.

Ty for the info

Liberty4all

Banned
Henk_Glimlach said:
Does anyone know how the magic items work that come with the adventure packs?

The pirate pack comes with Hidden Treasure and Ghost Swords.

You put the Hidden Treasure minature on the portal and a bonus treasure chest will spawn somewhere on whatever level you are on. I think the chest contains hats or soul gems.

When you place The Ghost Swords on the portal it spawns two swords that hang in the air above you and attack enemies. Effect is time limited so use in emergency.

The crypt adventure pack has a healing magic item that I beleive heals you when used. Not sure about the other one ...

Takao

Banned
B-Dex said:

I wonder how those work with the 3DS version. With the 3DS version (thus far) you can only release your creatures from the portals outside of the levels in the hub world.

fernoca

piratepwnsninja said:
Awesome. ;)
Made some adjustments, and added it to the main post. Gave you full credit by the way. :p

ZDmHk.png

Sgm4e.png

..adjusting some colors/sizes now too. :p

EDIT:
Changed the colors a little and changed the size a little too. :p

Takao

Banned
Takao said:
I wonder how those work with the 3DS version. With the 3DS version (thus far) you can only release your creatures from the portals outside of the levels in the hub world.

Nevermind, there's a portion of the hub world that's sectioned off for the expansion pieces.

Went to toys r us to pick this up and there were hardly any figures left, so just ended up getting the starter pack. Really wanna play this game but saving it as a Christmas present for my daughter. Have a feeling some of these characters are going to be hard to come by during the holidays.

Is there a website that lists all the characters attacks?

RobbieNick

3rd day since buying this game, third trip to Toys R' Us for buy 2, get 1 free. Curse you Activision!

My local Wal-Mart is sold out of the Drill Dozer. Will have to try a different one tomorrow.

Takao

Banned
El Pescado said:
My local Wal•Mart isn't even selling figures; Just the game bundles. :(

Same. My local Toys "R"Us was the only store that even had the figures out in the display. EB Games had them, but locked behind the glass display...

fernoca

El Pescado said:
My local Wal•Mart isn't even selling figures; Just the game bundles. :(
Make sure to check in both areas: Electronics (Games) and Toys (around the figures of Captain America and Green Lantern).

Briarios

DEO3 said:
That's a hell of an OP.

Yeah, he's done a great job with it!

And, about Wal-mart, I posted this earlier, but check the specialized glass video game cases - all the figures at my local store were in the bottom section of the DS case.

Takao

Banned
Ugh, it's not fun having to replay levels because you missed a key to unlock some dude, and you can't back track because of no camera movement...

But yeah, my Wal-Mart store didn't have them where the games or toys were, so I guess they haven't put them out yet.

fernoca

DEO3 said:
That's a hell of an OP.
Thanks. :)

Nice, Penny-Arcade did posted stuff about the game aside the comic..

Way more than the usual paragraph they do; which was nice. :)

pa_full.png

Updated the OP with it, then realized I forgot to add the shadow to it..and the comic (which was posted already)..:p

EDIT:
There!
Freaking imgur doesn't want it with a shadow, TinyPic compressed it..so ended using PostImage.

Picked this up about 2 hours ago, really enjoying it. It is such a breath of fresh air after playing a bunch of shooters lately to just play a light, colorful game. Even the thing I was worried about (the difficulty) hasn't been an issue. Some of the heroic challenges are fairly tough.

Pretty glad I took a chance on it, now I just have to go buy some more characters :D

fernoca

Well, 3 more reviews posted..including the first two "below 8" reviews (but still "good reviews"):

The Telegraph: 4/5
Again, like the LEGO games Skylanders offers drop-in, drop-out co-operative play, and its levels are similarly packed with secrets, hidden treasures, side-objectives and stat-boosting headwear. Sadly, you can’t buy a set of miniature hats in the real world for figures - yet. Away from what is a reasonably substantial story mode, you can pit one Skylander against another in the two-player battle mode, with new arenas unlocked by reaching various milestones in the campaign.

Outside the novelty factor of its genuinely innovative tech, there’s nothing especially memorable about Skylanders, but it undoubtedly fired the imagination of my little one, and I found it a perfectly pleasant time-killer. It’s the kind of kids’ game most parents would secretly enjoy playing through even without its gimmick. With it, a solid piece of family entertainment becomes something unique, something more than just an opportunity for Activision to shift more plastic peripherals over the Christmas period.

Gamespot:7.5

The Good
Toys with brains Role-playing-style progression Game expands with figure collection Adventure Pack toys DLC works well.

The Bad
Multiplayer is offline only Costly to complete everything Portal peripheral can be temperamental.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is a good concept that has been well executed. The Portal does get a little confused at times, the cooperative mode lacks split-screen, and the risk of losing the figures will be the bane of many parent's lives, but the attraction of toys with brains is compelling enough to outweigh these shortcomings. It's a little too easy and a little too short to interest seasoned players for long enough to justify the price of entry, but young children are likely to enjoy taming this dragon.

Metro (UK): 7
In Short: A genuinely entertaining and imaginative child-friendly dungeon crawler, that's at least as good as the recent Lego games and not nearly as cynical as you might think.

Pros: Solid gameplay mechanics, fun co-op, and a wide range of abilities and secrets to unlock. Interesting art design and the whole Portal of Power gimmick is an amusing novelty.

Cons: Combat is simplistic and repetitive, with puzzles and level design becoming increasingly formulaic throughout. Cost for parents could be considerable. Has little to do with previous Spyro games.

Briarios

I'm really considering getting the 3DS version, too ... Since I already have the figures. What's the feedback so far from people who have played both?

fernoca

Briarios said:
I'm really considering getting the 3DS version, too ... Since I already have the figures. What's the feedback so far from people who have played both?
Feedback I've heard and read is positive, but not sure if they played both.

Most of the complaints have been around the lack of camera control, obviously not looking as good as the HD versions (but still nice enough; some describe it as as good looking as Ocarina 3D/Star Fox 3D- and the 3D's good -apparently- :p); and the lack of multiplayer.

In the end, the game's different; so at least it won't feel like you're just playing a portable version of the console one; but something more "unique".

fernoca

A "banned website" is currently streaming the Wii game; if you go there for Nintendo news is currently on the recent news.

Looking good and the guy's loving the soundtrack.

Does anyone have any confirmation of how many levels there are in the base game? I just watched a Giant Bomb video, and Jeff said there were 8 chapters, but Pirate Seas and Darklight Crypt were chapters 24 and 25 respectively.

How far is everyone? Did I misunderstand Jeff?

fernoca

DanteRavenkin said:
Does anyone have any confirmation of how many levels there are in the base game? I just watched a Giant Bomb video, and Jeff said there were 8 chapters, but Pirate Seas and Darklight Crypt were chapters 24 and 25 respectively.

How far is everyone? Did I misunderstand Jeff?
Well, an interview with Jonathan Mintz, from Vicarious Visions; mentions 25 levels...at least on the 3DS version.

Spyro's Wiki lists (in general) 25 levels individually...
...and 30; including the Adventure Packs.

The 30 levels; spoiler-tagged just in case... :p
-Sky Schooner Docks
-Perilous Pastures
-Leviathan Lagoon
-Crystal Eye Castle
-Cadaverous Crypt
-Darklight Crypt
-Falling Forest
-Pirate Seas
-Stormy Stronghold
-Battlefield
-Arkeyan Armory
-Creepy Citadel
-Stone Town
-Troll Warehouse
-Lava Lakes Railway
-Molekin Mine
-Oilspill Island
-Dark Water Cove
-Stone Town
-Treetop Terrace
-Crawling Catacombs
-Creepy Citadel
-Goo Factory
-Battlefield
-Quicksilver Vault
-Arkeyan Armory
-Lair of Kaos
-Shattered Island
-Empire of Ice
-Dragon's Peak

Hawk269

My friend, his wife and his 6 year old son came over today and although I gave the 360 version to them, they have not given it to their son yet (tomorrow), but they played a bit at my place and they all loved it. The kid was going crazy swapping characters and his dad was really getting into it with the fact that it has some rpg elements etc.

I am curious at how many levels there are in the core game, without having to buy more? If it is only 8 chapters, I would say that it is very bad and very short, but others have said the game is about 20 hours or so.

Hawk269

fernoca said:
Well, an interview with Jonathan Mintz, from Vicarious Visions; mentions 25 levels...at least on the 3DS version.

Spyro's Wiki lists (in general) 25 levels individually...
...and 30; including the Adventure Packs.

The 30 levels; spoiler-tagged just in case... :p
-Sky Schooner Docks
-Perilous Pastures
-Leviathan Lagoon
-Crystal Eye Castle
-Cadaverous Crypt
-Darklight Crypt
-Falling Forest
-Pirate Seas
-Stormy Stronghold
-Battlefield
-Arkeyan Armory
-Creepy Citadel
-Stone Town
-Troll Warehouse
-Lava Lakes Railway
-Molekin Mine
-Oilspill Island
-Dark Water Cove
-Stone Town
-Treetop Terrace
-Crawling Catacombs
-Creepy Citadel
-Goo Factory
-Battlefield
-Quicksilver Vault
-Arkeyan Armory
-Lair of Kaos
-Shattered Island
-Empire of Ice
-Dragon's Peak

Hmmm. That does sound like alot of levels. Anyone know if that is accurate? And it appears that there may be 5 adventure packs? Fuck, this is going to get expensive. 3 more adventure packs is another 60bucks....wish they were out now due to the TRU Sale! lol.

fernoca

Though, I've seen some people mention that some levels/chapters are unlocked with specific figures-elements; so it could be that the main game has "8 chapters"; but with more characters you "unlock more" and with more adventure packs you "add more".

Haven't heard Jeff so not sure about the 8 chapters aspect.

Hawk269 said:
Hmmm. That does sound like alot of levels. Anyone know if that is accurate? And it appears that there may be 5 adventure packs? Fuck, this is going to get expensive. 3 more adventure packs is another 60bucks....wish they were out now due to the TRU Sale! lol.
Heheh..yep.
For example, this video shows the 3DS version and passing over the "levels you can unlock" and the area showed at least 4 of the ones acquired through Adventure Packs; and he walked over 3: Empire of Ice, Darklight Crypt and Pirates of the Sea.

Hawk269

fernoca said:
Though, I've seen some people mention that some levels/chapters are unlocked with specific figures-elements; so it could be that the main game has "8 chapters"; but with more characters you "unlock more" and with more adventure packs you "add more".

Haven't heard Jeff so not sure about the 8 chapters aspect.

Heheh..yep.
For example, this video shows the 3DS version and passing over the "levels you can unlock" and the area showed at least 4 of the ones acquired through Adventure Packs; and he walked over 3: Empire of Ice, Darklight Crypt and Pirates of the Sea.

Well, the game install is about 7.6gb's, so there has to be some more to it than just 8 levels and the challenge levels. If it is just 8 without unlocking that is going to suck, but the more i read, I think that list may be accurate. 25 core levels, with 5 additional locked away with access with the adventure packs.

fernoca

Hawk269 said:
Well, the game install is about 7.6gb's, so there has to be some more to it than just 8 levels and the challenge levels. If it is just 8 without unlocking that is going to suck, but the more i read, I think that list may be accurate. 25 core levels, with 5 additional locked away with access with the adventure packs.
Yeah, checking around there are 25 levels...perse. Maybe there's no relation between chapters and levels; though levels are called chapters in-game. How to get them unlock them; I don't know.

Giant Bomb posted a nice video with some (great quality) footage and live-demo of the game and figures and Level Caped even asked for apologies for posting too much about the game:

Quick Look: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Jeff shares his toys with the rest of the Whiskey Staff as he dons his Portal Master cap.​

Level Capped has been on Skylanders fever and has been posting quite plenty stuff about it; including the more recent:
Skylanders! The Final Word (For Now)

Before that, was:

Liberty4all

Banned
Holy shit that was unexpected.

One of the boss fights? Turned into a bullet hell SHMUP!

Literally bullet hell, for that small section it was like I was back in the mid 90s at the arcade complete with top down view. It happened so fast the transition that it took a moment to register that the gameplay had become classic bullet hell, likely a developer homage to SHMUPS or something

Wow this game! Awesome!

Jakoavain

The more I read about this game, the more I am getting the itch to buy those figures.

Literally bullet hell, for that small section it was like I was back in the mid 90s at the arcade complete with top down view. It happened so fast the transition that it took a moment to register that the gameplay had become classic bullet hell, likely a developer homage to SHMUPS or something

Well, considering Toys for Bob were behind the Star Control games, I'd say they definitely made that as a homage.

Amazing game. Daughter was asleep before we got a chance to try it, so I went solo. Only did first two levels, and didn't really try swapping chars, but I am completely impressed.

I reset Spyro in preperation for co-op.

Liberty4all

Banned
A couple comments based on common questions I see being asked:

3DS:
-Levelling up is VERY fast on the 3DS version.
-Campaign in 3DS can be completed in 5 hours.
-Owners of 3DS version have said they feel the 3DS version is meant to "compliment" the console version not replace it
-3DS campaign is "fun" and completely different from console version.
-You can take 2 Skylanders with you on the go without having to have portal with you.

Console:
-Console version has 25 "included in the box" chapters and 5 "Adventure pack" add on chapters.
-lvling is much slower in console version compared to 3DS
-Users reporting 20 - 25 hour playtime to finish the "basic" game - (this is assuming the use of only one charachter, and one heroic challenge completed)
-Users report game is infinitely replayable -- game feels fresh when using new characters (game is as much about learning and lvling up new characters as it is about completing chapters).
-360 and Wii version are wired USB (portal), PS3 is wireless
-PS3 portal eats batteries (15 hours from fresh to dead 3 AA batteries needed each time)
-Some 360 users reporting occasional glitches, freezes and corrupt data saves (could be on PS3 too but I've only seen 360 owners so far complain of this ... very antedoctal "guy on a forum" type evidence so far though nothing solid.

fernoca

Another review posted:

ZTGD: 8.7

+ Depth will keep players coming back
+ User-friendly design
+ Interaction technology is more than a gimmick

Dislikes
- Expanding a collection can get expensive

I’m not ashamed to admit that Skylanders surprised me. Not only is the toy part fun, but the sculpts look nice, feel solid and all have a great deal of personality. Most importantly, though, the game behind the plastic is a deep adventure that even adults will find value in. Sure, older gamers are not the target market, but it makes it easier to convince parents to spend the money on the figures with a solid experience like this.

Not only is Skylanders an enjoyable Action-RPG in its own right, but in many ways it will provide younger gamers with the foundation to tackle more advanced games, like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, down the road. As long as you understand the potential costs connected with acquiring more characters, Skylanders will only deliver pleasant surprises.

(This game received our “Dad Approved” award. This honor is awarded to games that are not only good games for kids to play, but also need to be titles that have enough enjoyment to keep parents coming back. The ZTGD Dad Approved award is reserved for games that parents will want to play with their children, and are friendly and accessible to even the youngest of gamers.)

And thanks to a gift certificate ($15), $40 "given to spend on entertainment not bills!!" and a friend + Toys R Us: Buy 2 Get 1 Free = I finally got the game!! (3DS version). :D

Trying it soon, after finishing some things. :)

While around, did checked around and noticed/saw a few things:
-Toys R Us had a section just like the pic my friend took (which I posted earlier). Really nice.
-Went to 2 Wal-Marts and things were like my friend said: 1 had the figures in the toy section, but not games there or in Electronics; the other one had the toys on Electronics, along with the game...but only PS3 versions of it.
-Went to 2 Sam's and they had nothing. Asked around and they had no information of them on system and no expected shipments; but things could change by this upcoming week.

Hawk269

I went to Walmart to get the exclusive figure from them and had to hunt the figures down. The games themselves were in the locked case, but had to walk around to find the figures. Finally found them on a display that is in the main walkway aisles. It is only a 1 sided display with figures on it, not too many though. Also went to Target for their exclusive, basically the same. Very limited selection. They only had 1 of the 3 packs, most of the single figures was the exclusive with only mayber around 3-5 other figures and that is it.

It seems that TRU is the best place to go since they have the largest display of Skylanders items and my local TRU has kept it full. The guys said they had a ton of figures and 3packs in the back and that it has been selling really well.

Tyeforce

Was it ever confirmed that Walmart is in fact selling Drill Sergeant in the US? I haven't been able to find it at any Walmart I've been to, and it seems like it's the same case for everyone else here. I was told that Walmart is only carrying Drill Sergeant in Canada, and the US is stuck with Sam's Club. Is that true?

Hawk269

Tyeforce said:
Was it ever confirmed that Walmart is in fact selling Drill Sergeant in the US? I haven't been able to find it at any Walmart I've been to, and it seems like it's the same case for everyone else here. I was told that Walmart is only carrying Drill Sergeant in Canada, and the US is stuck with Sam's Club. Is that true?

See my post above. Yes, they are selling them in the U.S. and at my Walmart there was about 20 of them on the display in the walkway cardboard display they had set up. I live in California for reference.

Briarios

I also purchased Drill Sergeant at Wal-mart, and I'm on the other coast in Florida.

By the way, Darklight Crypt is currently a Toys R Us exclusive, according to their Web site. However, they have free shipping on all Skylanders products, so i ordered it today. Something neat: they also have PayPal checkout. Made it really easy.

Raider82

Neo Member
Bought the 360 version, thinking about also getting the 3DS version. Haven't played it yet waiting for the wife to get home so we can play together. I did play around a little bit with the online area on my Mac. Not bad for an added extra, also seems you can level your Skylanders online. Couple of quick questions. I have the figure bug and am wondering what is the best pack to get? I'm thinking one of each class? What's everyone's favorite figure so far?

fernoca said:
EDIT:
Oh! and n8NMONSTER/Ashwardo;get in here!! XD

(From the pick-up thread)

More Skylanders!

308636_996198128864_6312708_42402185_1553819294_n.jpg

310303_996197859404_6312708_42402181_1310043778_n.jpg

2nd photo was buy 2, get 3rd free for video games, accessories for tru -- and these counted toward that!

Been playing back/forth with the PS3/3DS version. The only thing I need to remember is to re-sync the character after playing on the 3DS version, otherwise, the character wouldn't have the extra XP/Lvls earned from the 3DS version of the game.

fernoca

Awesome pics n8. :)

New review posted...
Joystiq: 4/5

And from there? Seasoned gamers will enjoy it for a while, even after the kids have gone to bed, but this isn't really their game. Younger ones -- especially those turned off by Pokémon's slower pace -- won't have any trouble sticking around for the long haul. Cynical and exploitative though it might be, it's a genuinely pleasant way to spend your time.

Just be ready. Sometime before Skylanders pulls its one-more-go hooks out of you, plan for an awkward parental conversation. It'll start with "Daddy, how did my new Zap get to level 10 while I was asleep?" I just hope you can come up with a good answer

And as I said earlier... :)

q3qrw.png

(Finally) Got it! (for $55 technically; well $40 + a $15 gift certificate).
Doing misc. stuff and then that Xbox Live Points thing...I haven't been able to play the game much, but going to now.

So far, really...really like it; just as great as I expected.

(3DS version)
-Awesome packaging (smaller -than consoles- portal, 3 cards, stickers, posters)
-Visuals are nice and colorful
-3D effect is subtle, but well done
-Movies are also in 3D (a few 3DS games, have 2D movies)
-3 saves slots
-Portal uses 3-AAA batteries
-Portal auto-turns off in 25 seconds
-You put the figure on the portal, send it to the game and you can remove it (and the portal turns off after..I turned it on and put Dark Spyro on it for the sake of the pic :p)
-Music is great, sounds great in stereo speakers.
-Voice acting is well done (so far)
-Game's fun; seeing all those crystals lying around..damn it (have to get them!)
-Every few crystals, they all starting shining in red and you get twice the value during that time
-Hats are hidden around the levels in gift-boxes.
-Hats are only cosmetic (unlike console versions, don't add/change attributes)
-The bigger crystals you collect are to open/proceed to the next levels (kinda like bananas in DK64 and stars in Mario)
-No direct camera control (but doesn't bother me); but makes it difficult for backtracking (I still backtracked in the first level to get crystals and hats :p)
-Lots of jumping, double jumping and platforming
-Then there's the "rush" were after you reach a certain part you have to arrive to the end of a level before the time runs out​

Really pleased so far. :)

Now to actually play the game; since that was just the training/beginning part.

HELP! My Sonic Boom is at the point where I have to choose one of two abilities to evolve

1) Sonic Roar
2) The Babies

Is there a place where I can look up the information what attacks come after that point? Insticly I would choose the roar, but maybe the babies will get some f*ing cool attack at a later point ... and I really DONT want to buy another sonic boom - level her up again, just to see what would happen if I had chosen the other option ;)

Briarios

SebastianAlexander said:
HELP! My Sonic Boom is at the point where I have to choose one of two abilities to evolve

1) Sonic Roar
2) The Babies

Is there a place where I can look up the information what attacks come after that point? Insticly I would choose the roar, but maybe the babies will get some f*ing cool attack at a later point ... and I really DONT want to buy another sonic boom - level her up again, just to see what would happen if I had chosen the other option ;)

Haha, I'm worried about when I reach this point -- however, you can reset the figures. So, you wouldn't have to buy a new one :)

Top Bottom