• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Liberty4all

Banned
Played another 3 hours tonight and finished another couple of chapters ... (just finished the chapter with the oil factory on the fish guys island) .... Game is really picking up speed now ... Way more enemies and much larger chapters overall.

So I've spent 5 or six hours playing using ONE character which I'm only at lvl 4 (max is 10 I think) and have less than half upgrades unlocked on him so far.

Based on this, I think the base game is well worth the money with dozens of hours required to unlock everything on the 3 characters that come with the game .... I also played around with some of my new characters at the hub ... They all feel SO different ... So there will be dozens more hours levelling them up too.

I'm around chapter 9 or 10 now. Gotten a few characters to around level 7 or 8. Going to get the level 10 achievement by the end of the week most definitely.

I didn't know that after buying all of the basic upgrades, you then have a branching tree. I got Gill man or whatever the fish dude is called- you either can continue to improve his harpoons or focus on his hose. Really interesting that all 30+ characters are going to get these branching skill trees, in addition to whatever ends up getting unlocked from the soul gems.

Do characters get multiple soul gems or is it one per person? Some are pretty interesting abilities.

The Gauntlet fan inside of me wants them to go full bore and have random dungeon crawls and 4 player support.

I'm going to WalMart tomorrow and see if I can grab the drill guy. Last one for the time being!

Really enjoying this one!

Tyeforce

Bamelin said:
So I've spent 5 or six hours playing using ONE character which I'm only at lvl 4 (max is 10 I think) and have less than half upgrades unlocked on him so far.
Okay, this is definitely confirmation that leveling up is much faster in the 3DS version than it is in the console version. All of my Skylanders are already between levels 5-8.

Halfmunch

Played a couple hours of this today, and I like it a lot. Picked up the 360 version... Graphics are great, interface is polished and the characters are fun to play (Trigger Happy I love the way he walks). I'm so surprised at how it all works!

Nice official topic!

Tyeforce

Can anyone who has both the 3DS version and the console version explain exactly what all carries over between versions? It looks like the console version must have a completely different level up system, so how does that work between the versions?

Also, I picked up Whirlwind at Target today. Looks like I have a new favorite Skylander! XD

so everytime I collect a soul-gem (or whatever it is called) I can watch a preview video of a new skylander - but that video always cuts out after the toy comes to life, I never see it in action. Just now I watched a youtube video and there the whole video played! WHY does the game not like me? :(

Right now Sonic Boom is my favorite character, the way it throws up its babys to help in battle :D

beje

Banned
Is the game really worth it for the 3DS even if I'm not planning on buying the stupid ultra-expensive DLC in the shape of toys? How many juice should I expect from the starter pack?

I never, never, should have entered this thread.... (actually what lead me here was the pick-up thead). This really got the attention of the collection whore inside me.

Now I just ordered the 360 version. I do not own a 3DS, so I will be missing the dark Spyro, but I may get all of the other figures in the coming months.

Liberty4all

Banned
Kids create Skylander Chess

IMG_5057.jpg

So cool

kagete

Oh this looks sooooooooo interesting! Imagine if they got hold of an mega IP like Pokemon (will never happen) or an anime series like Naruto (Jump version would be amazing)!

Shiv47

So someone illuminate me here, as I didn't quite understand it from the OP; you can play multiplayer on one console with this? And you don't need more than one of the portal things to do so? If I buy this for my kids, will all three of us be able to play together right out of the box?

Briarios

SebastianAlexander said:
so everytime I collect a soul-gem (or whatever it is called) I can watch a preview video of a new skylander - but that video always cuts out after the toy comes to life, I never see it in action. Just now I watched a youtube video and there the whole video played! WHY does the game not like me? :(

Right now Sonic Boom is my favorite character, the way it throws up its babys to help in battle :D

You can rewatch those videos at any time if you go to the select screen thingy - it has videos for any character you have used or collected moves for.

Briarios

Shiv47 said:
So someone illuminate me here, as I didn't quite understand it from the OP; you can play multiplayer on one console with this? And you don't need more than one of the portal things to do so? If I buy this for my kids, will all three of us be able to play together right out of the box?

You can only play two players at a time - but, yes, you only need one portal. The portal can support 2 characters, a location, and an item. The multiplayer is drop-in/out co-op for all levels and 2p vs battle arenas (which are kind of fun, but I'd love to see more players). The figures remember all stats and can be switched in and out at any time.

Anything else you wanted to know?

Shiv47

Briarios said:
You can only play two players at a time - but, yes, you only need one portal. The portal can support 2 characters, a location, and an item. The multiplayer is drop-in/out co-op for all levels and 2p vs battle arenas (which are kind of fun, but I'd love to see more players). The figures remember all stats and can be switched in and out at any time.

Anything else you wanted to know?

Thanks, that makes sense then. I guess we'll be switching out characters then as needed.

Briarios

When you remove a character, the game pauses to wait for the new one or for the player to quit - so, if you're playing with 3 people, it's the perfect time to switch players, too.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Now, this is an antipiracy measure I can approve! May pick this for the Wii, depending on the opinions and reviews (or I'll wait for it to be really really cheap
3AQmK.gif
)

Briarios said:
You can rewatch those videos at any time if you go to the select screen thingy - it has videos for any character you have used or collected moves for.

nope - there it cuts away at the same time. does it have something to do with the german version?

Liberty4all

Banned
SebastianAlexander said:
nope - there it cuts away at the same time. does it have something to do with the german version?

hmm that's strange. maybe a localization issue? Also the menu movies seem shorter than the movies you find in game. Or is that my imagination?

Also Snapping at PA found a great article on Venturebeat how the game ended up being made:

Hawk269

I know it was posted by another user, but I think it is worth mentioning again and adding in another promotion to save even more money. I notice some people buying the starter kit and alot of figures and not taking advantage of this.

Now through Saturday, Oct. 22nd Toys "R" Us has a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sale, with the lower price item being free or if all 3 items are the same then one of them is FREE. This promotion includes accessories, which the Skylander Figures are considered accessories.

Here was my haul:

1st Transaction:
1 Skylanders Starter Kit for 360 $69.99
1 Copy of Batman for 360 $59.99 (includes a free Batman action figure)
1 Copy of Dead Island 59.99 *FREE GAME*

2nd Transaction
1 3 Pack TRU Exlcusive Skylander figures $19.99
1 3 Pack DarkLight Crypt 19.99
1 3 Pack Pirate Seas 19.99 *FREE*

3rd Transaction
1 1 Pack figure 7.99
1 1 Pack Figure 7.99
1 1 Pack Figure 7.99 *FREE*

All in all, I ended up getting a free $59.99 game, a free 19.99 3pack and 1 Free 7.99 figure due to this deal.

There is one other deal, but it does not make sense to do while you are using the Buy 2 get 1 Free (if you were thinking of getting 3 games as part of the deal). Toys is also offering when you spend over $100.00 in Skylander product that you also get a Free $7.99 figure. So unless you were buying the $70 starter kit, 2 19.99 kits and some figures then it would work. On the Buy 2 get 1 Free, the Free one is always the cheapest item, so if you bought the following:

$70 Kit
$20 3 Pack
$20 3 Pack
$8.00 Figure
$8.00 Figure

You would walk out with 2 free 8.00 figures in this deal. But if you are a gamer, like me and there are full priced games where you save more, it is better to get 2 other games and get one of those free and do the figure seperately. I have not tried out the game yet, so will post back with impressions, but I felt a little weird being an adult and buying this stuff, but that inner child, collector, loot whore in me meter is going off big time and I do like these kidding games in the mix of all my 1st person shooters, zombie killing games and racing games. It seems like it will be a big departure from my normal gaming routine.

Will report back a little later on impressions.

Hawk269

Have not started the game yet, but just got done installing the game to the Hard Drive (360 Version here). I know some people like data, information or just numbers, so I figured I would post the amount of hard drive space it took to install the game. I know that "size does not always matter" but alot of people consider the amount of memory it takes to be somewhat of a barrometer of how big the game is.

I also put in some info on other games that came out recently. Here is the games and the space needed to install on the 360's HDD:

Skylanders 7.6 Gb (uses the expanded 360 Disk format to it's full potential)
Dead Island 3.9 Gb
Dark Souls 4.0 Gb
Gears 3 7.5Gb
Forza 4 7.6Gb (only disk 1)

It seems that out of the most recent games, Skylanders and Forza 4 tip the highest scales as far as data put on the disk. Again, this may not mean anything to anyone, but just posting some info.

Lastly, it does kind of suck that the PC and 360 version are wired. I have tried the Wii version at work, so when I get time, I will see if there is a loading difference between a "wired" portal and a "wireless" portal.

fernoca

Another review added; Planet Xbox 360 [8.3/10]:

Skylanders may appear to be “just another kids game” at first, but the idea behind collecting figures that interact with the game is quite ingenious, and actually pays off in a game worth playing. The design is quite inspired for a product designed for younger players, and the presentation is surprisingly high in value. The co-op and competitive stuff is great too, and will get parents involved right alongside their kids – and nerds with their fellow nerds. Let’s hope this franchise continues to grow with even more adventures and characters. This is one Spyro product that burns brighter than the others. Well, Activision’s, anyway.

IGN posted a "Review Preview" which I haven't seen; but from the people's replies; things don't look promising with stuff like: They whining about you needing to buy all figures which raises the price to $300 and giving incorrect info like the 3DS version doesn't use portals, but uses AR Cards.

fernoca

Mr. Robot said:
Ignore those posts on IGN.
But the posts were from IGN; the comments agreeing and disagreeing with them are what I read there. :p

EDIT:
Well, watched the video and yep.
-3DS version "uses AR Cards" (it doesn't; but he was asked right there so he probable haven't played the 3DS version)
-Fun game "kinda like Lego"
-Starter Pack costs $70, which is too much "for a kids game".
-$300 if you're looking to "collect them all" and "get 100%".
-Reviews should be up by the end of the week.

BooJoh

So if I understand correctly, only the 360 and PC versions have the option to use the portal without batteries? I don't expect the 3DS version to be a problem, but I'm hearing you get like 12 hours on the PS3 and Wii versions before your portal batteries die.

I don't have a 360 so any battery testimonies from PS3-version owners would be appreciated.

RobbieNick

Just saw a trailer for a character named "Warnado" Now, I know he's not in stores yet, cuz if he was I would have bought him on the fact that he looks a bit like Gamera. So now, I have a power for a character I can't get yet. :p

Picked up the Pirate Seas adventure pack

*Current List*

360 starter pack:

Trigger Happy
Spyro
Gill Grunt

Individuals Dudes:
Voodoo
Prism Break
Stealth Elf
Flameslinger
Drill Sergeant
Chop Chop
Stump Smash
Bash
Drobot
Boomer
Eruptor
Sonic Boom
Zap

Pirate seas Adventure Pack:
Terrafin.

Liberty4all

Banned
BooJoh said:
So if I understand correctly, only the 360 and PC versions have the option to use the portal without batteries? I don't expect the 3DS version to be a problem, but I'm hearing you get like 12 hours on the PS3 and Wii versions before your portal batteries die.

I don't have a 360 so any battery testimonies from PS3-version owners would be appreciated.

I have the ps3 version. 6 hours so far on first set of batteries (still going strong). One really annoying thing is that the battery compartment cover is screwed in ... So you'll have to use a screwdriver every time u change batteries.

B-Dex

Bamelin said:
I have the ps3 version. 6 hours so far on first set of batteries. One really annoying thing is that the battery compartment cover is screwed in ... So you'll have to use a screwdriver every time u change batteries.

Use a quarter!

Went to my local Walmart, and left disappointed. Typical.

They didn't have a display set up like Target or Toys R' Us. They had no individual figures for sale, so no Drill Sergeant for me. I'm not going to buy a membership to Sam's Club for a single figure. Then again I guess that isn't any worse really than considering buying the 3DS version just so I can get the fire armor guy. Hmm....

We're getting near the end too. Despite my kids' desires to constantly swap people in and out, I've got Gill Man nearly maxed out in both level and abilities. Just need to grind a few more thousand gold on him and he's done. Even finished a few heroic challenges.

Really liking Zap after he's gotten a few upgrades. We just realized he can electrify his waterslide ability. Hadn't even crossed our minds. Very cool.

fernoca

IlliterateBookworm said:

They didn't have a display set up like Target or Toys R' Us. They had no individual figures for sale, so no Drill Sergeant for me. I'm not going to buy a membership to Sam's Club for a single figure. Then again I guess that isn't any worse really than considering buying the 3DS version just so I can get the fire armor guy. Hmm....

We're getting near the end too. Despite my kids' desires to constantly swap people in and out, I've got Gill Man nearly maxed out in both level and abilities. Just need to grind a few more thousand gold on him and he's done. Even finished a few heroic challenges.

Really liking Zap after he's gotten a few upgrades. We just realized he can electrify his waterslide ability. Hadn't even crossed our minds. Very cool.
You can order online from Sam's the figure alone; without a membership they charge you an extra 10% though.

So it would be $9.88 + tax + shipping + 10%. :p

A friend told me that Wal-Mart's Skylanders stuff varies. One saw all the figures in the toys-section hanging from someplace; but no games on there or in the games-section. Another saw the figurines and the game on the games-section; but only the PS3 version.

EDIT:
Oh! and n8NMONSTER/Ashwardo;get in here!! XD

(From the pick-up thread)

n8NMONSTER said:
Gonna give this a try:

305729_992902767794_6312708_42380414_1376435022_n.jpg

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Ashwardo said:
Picked up Skylanders.
IMG_3766.jpg

There are more now but this was taken when I picked up the Starter Pack.
IMG_3786.jpg

izakq

Has anyone come across freezing issues? It's already froze on us twice on the Wii version in different areas of the game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So other than the Gold highlights, what's different about the legendary figures? Same question for Dark Spyro. Do they just look different or are the stats/moves difference.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ugh just found out heroic challenges scale in difficulty according to level (or possibly what chapters you have unlocked ... But I'm pretty sure it's based on your lvl and maybe unlocks)

I originally tried to do the fish guys (gill) challenge when i was lvl 1 or 2 but decided to come back after failing a Few times.

I'm now lvl 5 and went back to repeat the challenge and there are WAY harder bad guys in there now. I advise checking heroic challenges out at early levels with each character ... Almost all challenges are based on speed/timer and the added difficulty of high level bad guys once you lvl up may make it even harder.

I picked this up last night, because I'm a 28 year old man-child. I must say, this game is WAY better than I ever thought it would be! And given their track record, kudos to Activision for taking a chance on such an unproven game style!

Does anyone have any information on when the next few characters are coming? I really want Hex, but she's not available yet.

Briarios

IlliterateBookworm said:

They didn't have a display set up like Target or Toys R' Us. They had no individual figures for sale, so no Drill Sergeant for me. I'm not going to buy a membership to Sam's Club for a single figure. Then again I guess that isn't any worse really than considering buying the 3DS version just so I can get the fire armor guy.

Just to let you know, I found Drill Sergeant and the single figures stuffed into the bottom of the DS/3DS display at my local Wal- Mart - took me awhile to find them.

Hawk269

My friend wanted the game so bad, that I gave him my 360 version and I picked up the PC version at Toys R Us (which seems like the only strore that has the PC version). A couple of nit-pics with the PC version. The USB Cable is short, but I understand that not everyone has a gaming rig hooked to a big scree and I sit about 10' away from the rig...so I had to go out and buy a USB extention cable.

I did play a bit of the game, maybe about 2 hours worth or so and am only 3% done according to the game save screen. Visually, the PC version is a bit cleaner than the 360 version and frame rate is rock solid 60, but there are some areas like the intro part to the 2nd chapter that dips big time. Being that I just played that part on the 360 version, it seems like all versions are like that. I am sure a patch and better driver support will remedy this.

But to the game itself, yeah it is pretty impressive. After playing a bit, you know what it really reminds me of???

Kameo - Elements of Power which was a launch title for the 360. While Skylanders does not have the platforming and visuals of that game, it does remind of it alot in the fact that Kameo also had characters that you switch to and from depending on where you are at in a level...of course in Kameo you did not have to have physical characters. But it is the game that seems similar to Skylanders.

Even though I am not that far into the game, it is very charming and brings me back to earlier days of gaming. I am an older gamer (40's) and this game brings out the kid in me and the ever growing OCD of finding everything....especially when you are taunted by the stat screen at the end of a level and it shows what you missed...lol.

The friend I gave the 360 version too is in his mid-30's and was also really enjoying it. He has a little boy that is 6 and I think he is going to love it when his dad shows it to him tomorrow.

Overall, very impressed by the game so far. I do have around 10 or so figures and the 2 3 packs of add-on stuff that I have not tried. I also looked at the Guide when I went to TRU. At the back, they show the maps for 2 additional add-on zones, one is a frozen area and cant remember the other, but I know those packs are not out yet...so it looks like there is more to come.

I also find it interesting that they cap the levels at 10...this to me is a sign that they intend to have some other add-on or something and increase the level caps. I really hope this sells well so we get more games to use the figures with. I can see them making a really massive adventure game where you can continue to level your characters etc.

Definately a big recommendation from me. If you are going to jump in, do it now while TRU has the Buy 2 get 1 free deal going on. Oh and the PC version is $10.00 cheaper at $59.99 vs. $69.99 for the console versions.

lolmark

My brother and I just copped the starter kit and a 3 character pack. Loving the game, I just wish it was a little harder.

Also, I feel like I just got baited to buy more Skylander toys. D:

fernoca

Ah yeah, glad to see I'm not the only one that got "Kameo vibes" from it. Mostly noticed when was cropping the character pictures to just their face, and writing the names.

My mind was reading the names of the characters in the same voice as the ones from Kameo's Uno Deck like "Major Ruin", "Chilla"... XD

Hawk269

DrForester said:
So other than the Gold highlights, what's different about the legendary figures? Same question for Dark Spyro. Do they just look different or are the stats/moves difference.

Stats are different. According to the cards that came with the figures, here are the Stats for Legendary Spyro vs. Regular. Please note, I don't know what all the symbols are, so I am guessing on some, but listing them in the order that they are on the cards.

**Update**

Went to the official site to get the stat symbols and what they are.

The 4 leaf clover looking one is Luck, the Shield one is Defense, the one that looks like a running icon is Agility and the last one is Strength..cant describe the icon.

Legendady Spyro
Strength - 75
Defense - 55
Agility- 90
Luck - 60

Regular Spyro
Strength - 60
Defense - 50
Agility - 90
Luck - 60

Let me know if you want the stats for the other 2 Legendary Figures.

Takao

Banned
dreamcastmaster said:
Is it OK to like Activision's plastic crap now?

This is only the first game. The honeymoon will end in 2013 when Skylanders 3 is out in Spyro and Crash versions. ;p

Hawk269

lolmark said:
My brother and I just copped the starter kit and a 3 character pack. Loving the game, I just wish it was a little harder.

Also, I feel like I just got baited to buy more Skylander toys. D:

It does ramp up, but yeah they should of had a difficulty selector in the game. I know some of the challenges are pretty tough though. And yes, the desire to get more figures is also apparent with me. Especially when you are playing and the game says that a certain element character would work best, but it is not required.

Top Bottom