• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Jetku

I picked this up yesterday for 3DS, along with a few extra figures (b2g1f at toys r us). I played it for about an hour last night and thought it was fun.

Now I am sitting in work and can't wait to go home and play. This totally feeds into my Pokemon addiction...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I was thinking, I wonder if they do dlc. Because I imagine the characters are already coded in the game. Do they do dlc figures that come with an xbox/wii/etc code? then you couldn't use them in the 3ds version, right?

So basically Skylanders 2 next year is what i'm saying

Tyeforce

DrForester said:
3DS exclusive figureS? I thought it was just Dark Spyro.
It is just Dark Spyro, I was mistaken. I thought the Ignitor and Stealth Elf that came with the 3DS version were also special in some way, but they're not.

Persona7

Banned
I am going to stop by target and get a whirlwind...My friend went to Best Buy but they were already completely sold out of the stuff they had.

Polari

I might just be that I'm going senile, but this actually looks really cool. Hopefully we'll see some reviews from more reputable sources soon.

Liberty4all

Banned
zoner said:
So I was thinking, I wonder if they do dlc. Because I imagine the characters are already coded in the game. Do they do dlc figures that come with an xbox/wii/etc code? then you couldn't use them in the 3ds version, right?

So basically Skylanders 2 next year is what i'm saying

The adventure packs you buy in the store ARE the DLC (although obviously already on the disc and unlocked by putting the adventure piece on the portal of power)

tw1164

My son is able to play New Mario Wii and Mario Kart, is Skylanders' gameplay simple enough for him to play along?

Briarios

Absolutely. It's starts off pretty easy and gives you time to come to grips with the controls - if you're a kid. No one else will have a problem. Some of the platforming in the hidden areas can be a bit tougher for kids, but that's good - not everything should be easy, right? And, it doesn't stop them from completeling the level.

This is really the perfect game for parents to play along with kids, because ... Well, it's just not stupid, you know? Even if it is easy for you, you'll have fun with it - and there are little homages to things that will make you laugh.

For example, there is a great one where Terrafin ( a land shark) does his special where he can swim underground - he moves around with just his fin showing, he then.starts humming a riff off of the Jaws them, duh-dum-duh-dum ... Its hilarious. The kid had no idea why I was laughing.

I wish there was a list of where you could find what....like I see Hex on the giant Collect them All! picture, but I can't seem to find her anywhere.

edit: Ah, looks like not all of them are available at launch.

Takao

Banned
Bamelin said:
I'm going back and forth on it. The OCD in me knows if I get into this I'll just HAVE to have all 32 figures.

Me too.

Fuck, I'm going to buy a 3DS copy tomorrow. Goodbye $70... :(

izakq

Bought the Wii version and an additional 3 figure pack. My boy played it for hours yesterday and would not stop blabbing about it. I finally got to play with him for about an hour last night, and I thought it was fun, with some Gauntlet style of gameplay. And the swapping of the figures whenever I want, was very smooth, quick and pretty cool.

The one negative so far that stands out with me are that the voices are really grating and I wish I could skip the conversations. Other than that, can't wait to play with my boy again later today.

fernoca

Keep'em coming guys (and girls? :p)!

Updated GAF impressions by adding iazq's and adding the extra bit Briarios mentioned recently.

Also added 'Destructoid's' [8/10] review (which mentioned both versions) to the 'reviews section':
About the 3DS version said:
The 3DS version is more of a platformer game than a hack n' slash one. Unlike the console versions, the 3DS variant allows characters to jump and dash and has players collecting special items to clear a stage before a timer runs out, lest the villainous Hektor catch them. It's a more challenging game than its bigger brothers, and provides a nice little complement to the main entry while really hammering home the cross-platform nature of the whole idea.
Overall said:
If you're a parent looking for a Christmas gift, or if you're just a big kid who wants to play with some silly (and well designed) toys, then Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure comes wholly recommended. It's not the most complex game on the market, but the innovative gadgetry and authentic thoughtfulness on the part of the developer stands out in a market so used to churning out the same old crap. Whether getting it for your children or pretending to get it for your children, Skylanders is a game that has a special something to it, and it's well worth checking out.
Really positive impressions so far all around. :)

EDIT:
Some Twitter posts are reporting "sell outs" across multiple retailers/ mostly across UK/Europe.

So I'm skeptical, but I went out and bought the thing for the 360 and also bought a ton of the individual figurines. Dropped around $180 total. My (almost) 4 year old loves the figurines. He had one in his hand and started opening it when I turned my back even though I told him not to. Bad boy.

What are adventure packs? It looks like they have several characters plus some kind of additional prop. Are the props needed? Do they work with the portal?

Here are the additional figurines I bought besides the 360 starter pack:

Voodoo
Prism Break
Stealth Elf
Flameslinger
Drill Sergeant
Chop Chop
Stump Smash
Bash
Drobot
Boomer
Eruptor
Sonic Boom
Zap

And the three in the 360 pack:

Trigger Happy
Spyro
Gill Grunt

Oddly enough the Walmart I was at only had one of each figurine I purchased except for the Walmart exclusive. They had tons of starter packs.

fernoca

BigNastyCurve said:
What are adventure packs? It looks like they have several characters plus some kind of additional prop. Are the props needed? Do they work with the portal?
Yep; you put everything on the portal to send it to the game.

W8yGx.png

B5Krs.png

What's in the box?
Adventure packs unlock new worlds to play and explore within the game and come with the following:
  • 1 Exclusive Character
  • 2 Magic Items
  • 1 Location Piece which unlocks a new gameplay level
  • 4 Sticker Sheets
  • Skylanders Spyro's Universe Code

I am starting to seriously become interested in this after all the positive impressions. I am such a sucker for silly peripherals and this actually sounds like a well made one at that.

tw1164

Well, I'm sold. I'm going to pick this up at TRU's sale this week. Lol, I hope I'm able to wait until Xmas to play with my kids.

Popped it in. Interesting game so far, but I'm waiting for the gameplay to pick up a bit. Maybe I'm just used to the brutality of Dark Souls, but this is about as easy as easy gets.

fernoca

Darn it.. by adding the new Kotaku-stuff to the main post, exceeded the 24,000 characters limit..so had to remove a few of the 'Skylanders'. looking for ways to reduce the characters even more. Guess by combining all characters into one image (instead of individual links) might reduce the characters-use.

If things don't go down a lot after that change, will only post the links to the reviews (along the scores).

Why do I need a toy to play what in the game? DLC dress up? what a rip-off

wouldn't mind for kid if the toys where playable with but they don't move, really poor chooses where in making for this game.

Acosta

I would have killed for something like that with He-Man toys when I was a child. The concept is really, really cool and I feel sympathy for it. Nice hearing all the good impressions.

fernoca

Well, changed the 'Skylanders' section. Now only showing their faces, together in one file/link. Takes less area too so people now don't have to scroll 18 characters to read about the next info. :p

Unlike the rest of the thread, had to upload this one file to TinyPic, because imgur kept uploading it with a white/black background (was supposed to be transparent). So, hope TinyPic doesn't decide to get fun and saying that it exceeded the amount of bandwidth. :p

fernoca

Bamelin said:
Destructiod says the game is a lootathon hack and slash ... Accurate? If so I'm heading out in 10 mins to pick up
The consoles/PC versions, technically yeah. Is the 3DS version the only that plays like the traditional Spyro games.

fernoca

Game Informer review posted (8/10)

Basically that the game is really good, but the end (in console versions ) is really difficult (reviewer had to swap 12 figurines and have another player join him to defeat the last boss). That the experience is great, but the "buying toys aspect" to expand the game might scare some people.

fernoca

Damn, so jealous Bamelin! XD

EDIT:
Well ,removing the review quotes, only leaving the scores/links now. Can't update anything on the thread (24,000 characters limit again :p).

fernoca

Well, removed the review quotes and now turned the GAF-quotes into pictures (to use less characters). Also moved the reviews to below the starter packs, instead of after the game differences; now that the section is smaller..so it's easier and faster to go to it.

Darn it, imgur is acting today. Couldn't upload any of the "pictures"; so another 5 pics to TinyPic.

Briarios

It's been funny - everyone that has played the game likes it. People that haven't are the one's putting it down. I guess that isn't unusual, but this is one of those games you just don't get until you've had some time in playing it ...

Also, I didn't realize Darklight Crypt was out when I bought everything Sunday -- so, I hope I can still find it tomorrow!

fernoca

Tyeforce said:
Any news on the iOS version? Is it even out? I haven't heard anything about it.
Nothing about it..yet. Guess it will be release later in the year..and will use the included UPC codes to transfer them...or something. :p

So question for those who have played it some already. I have heard there is some sort of loot component. How prominent is it? Also, does it seem like their is a good amount of content in the game? My main draw for this would be buying new characters and going through and leveling them up, is the game built to be played through multiple times or does it feel like you might play it through once and be burnt out on it?

fernoca

darkressurection said:
So question for those who have played it some already. I have heard there is some sort of loot component. How prominent is it? Also, does it seem like their is a good amount of content in the game? My main draw for this would be buying new characters and going through and leveling them up, is the game built to be played through multiple times or does it feel like you might play it through once and be burnt out on it?
Well, don't have the game..
But reading around, I guess it will depends on how much you like the characters/world.
For the console versions, they'e said that it starts quite easily and the last levels are more difficult with the last boss been "quite difficult".

There's a level cap (up to Level 10) that, at the moment there's no info about if it can be raised later somehow.

But, in that aspect it goes back to depending on how much you like the characters. Each have they relative-uniqueness; so playing once with a dragon that throws flames from his mouth might require/need a different tactic for gameplay than a character that throws arrows or smashes things.

From what I've read also; figurines also serve as "life extensions"; so the more figurines you have the more you can last.

Maybe someone with the game can share some more details. :)

Yeah, the best case scenario I would want is for the game to do well and the developers figuring out a way to release some sort of "update pack" for at least the HD versions that will pave the way for new figures. My biggest concern is that obviously all the data for the currently released figure sets is on disc, and unless they have just a crazy amount of stuff already stored away they will have to either do updates or require you to buy a new game every time a new series of figures come out (hopefully the former).

Still, with that said I think I might jump in on this once I get some money.

fernoca

Yeah, would be interesting to see if there's some of update method in the game already or something of sorts planned for the future; or they will just release new games and figures every year.

They could technically release updates as only downloads/updates for everyone and "special bundles" sold in store. Free updates for those with the game, since they will need to buy the figures by separate and a $20-$30 add-on pack in retail with the update/disc/expansion and a few new figures for those that are not able to download them.

Whatever it is, it should be something simple and painless; since their main public/demographic is younger children and parents. And with the reports of sellouts already in multiple areas; the less they want is to piss off a fanbase by releasing a new version that voids this one next year.

But, we'll see. The way things are, it wouldn't surprise me if it's new toys and game every year. :p..with the "old toys" becoming "rare collectible/trades" that unlock "cool stuff" in the new ones.

Liberty4all

Banned
darkressurection said:

I just put in about 3 hours and finished 3 chapters. Concentrating on lvlng up Gill Grunt, got him to almost lvl 3.

Almost everything is breakable which gives you coins, coins are used to purchase power upgrades. Leveling up on the other hand increases stats.

So far each level I've gone to has had 2 hidden hats (hats give stat boosts), 2 - 3 element specific gates (gates that can only be unlocked by element specific Skylanders), at least 1 hidden trophy, 1 - 2 soul stars (I haven't found these yet). All levels contain Special chests packed with loot.

At the end of each level you get a completion screen that tells you what you finished and what you missed (how many hidden areas you missed, how many trophies, stars, hats, etc you missed. I'm guessing this screen is tied to whatever Skylanders data you are using although not sure.

Game started off super easy, almost relaxing to me but is slowly picking up ... I like the
colors and the puzzles. Enemies are interesting and cutscenes have a Saturday morning (90s) cartoon flair to them

I'm not far yet but had to tear myself away to go to bed .... I REALLY want to play more to buy new powers. Game has the "one more level so I can level up/get more coins/find all mah hats/complete this or that" ... Game has that shit locked down hard. Kids are going to be helplessly addicted judging from my adult reaction. Can't wait to try coop tomorrow with wifey .... Just wish online was available ... Seems like a major oversight although I guess this was done de to the demographics being targeted.

Game reminds me kind of how I felt playing marvel superheroes ... At least in terms of thinking I will definitely be looking forward to replaying content with new characters.

So far I likey and LOVE the portal/collectable gimmick.

fernoca

Awesome impressions Bamelin. :)

Added them to the main post, also moved the 'GAF Impressions" section to nearly the end .to avoid having a bunch of quotes/grey pictures with text in between game-info stuff. (as pictures, to reduce characters because of the character limit). :p

Tyeforce

Bamelin said:
I just put in about 3 hours and finished 3 chapters. Concentrating on lvlng up Gill Grunt, got him to almost lvl 3.
Not even 3 levels in three hours? I've leveled up all six of my Skylanders to levels 4-7 in that amount of time with the 3DS version. Does leveling up take longer in the console version?

fernoca

Awesome review from Ars Technica..had so many awesome quotes; too bad I won't be adding quotes....maybe after a few weeks, when more reviews are out; I'll make an image-file with some of the best quotes and put it in the main post. :p

Man... I was supposed to be working but I just lost two hours playing with the online site. *chuckles* Probably one of the best integration of console game and online though. Plus the portal works with bringing your characters in there as well (well, there's a PC driver... dunno about Mac) so I didn't have to type in all the codes.

Side note... I purchased the Best Buy version with the Volcanic Vault and the site was telling me it was already registered. Hopefully they can clear that up. :\ *shifty eyes* I wanna max out all my items/characters out on there.

Don't judge me!

Top Bottom