• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

I'll chime in- I bought the game as an afterthought.

I was going to splurge on the figures regardless. I'm a sucker for miniatures and mini figures in general- my unhealthy obsession with Battle Beasts and Kinnikuman as well as European toy- crack such as Gormiti proves it.

Not a bad game either. Fun swapping everything out. Kids have fought over who to put on the portal next. Wife was even enjoying watching. Son stole ALL of the dragon and reptile looking figures and refuses to let me use them when he's not around. I wasn't aware that you could collect hats to modify attributes. Nice touch.

Waiting for the next batch of figures since we own everything already with the exception of the 3DS-only figures and the guy available at Sam's Club. All in due time.

Tyeforce

Anyone else playing Spyro's Universe (the browser game, not the PC version of Spyro's Adventure) on a Mac? I downloaded the driver and it tells me my Portal of Power is connected, but it doesn't recognize any of my figures when I put them on it... =/

Jakoavain

Anyone know what is the core age group that they're targeting? I'm thinking of buying this to my little brother as a christmas gift. He's 12 years old now.

..and of course getting my self a starter kit so we can play this through the holidays.

Zomo

I have every character/adventure pack available right now besides Dark Spyro and Ignitor :( Contemplating purchasing the 3DS starter pack just so i have them all plus i would get to try out the 3DS game also... HMMMMM not sure what to do.

Jakoavain said:
Anyone know what is the core age group that they're targeting? I'm thinking of buying this to my little brother as a christmas gift. He's 12 years old now.

..and of course getting my self a starter kit so we can play this through the holidays.

Age 6 - 12

Liberty4all

Banned
So we sort of had a eureka moment over in the PA OT for the game ....

Aoi said:
And I finally figured out what game this reminds me of. People were saying Diablo, but that didn't quite sync up with me. It's (and I mean this in a good way) Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy. Right down to some of the voiceover stuff in the challenge levels. It's a Gauntlet Legends dungeon crawler with RPG elements through and through.

He's totally right ... the game plays like Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy.

izakq

Bamelin said:
So we sort of had a eureka moment over in the PA OT for the game ....

He's totally right ... the game plays like Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy.

Yeah, the more I play it, the more it reminds me of this, in a good way.

We're on chapter 5, and I think we have five of our characters at level three and one at level two. And I f'n died, twice within five minutes. But what's great is that you can swap out for another character and continue on playing where you left off. Meanwhile, that character will start to recharge, and you can use it later on.

There is an option to restart the chapter, if you wish, but no thanks, I want to keep going where I died. And the one thing I really like is that when my son is playing, I can jump in by throwing a figure onto the portal, continue on from where he was at. And if I need to leave to do something, I can take my figure off, press A to unjoin and my son can still continue playing his game without having to restart or anything like that.

fernoca

Gauntlet!... yeah, that was the game I've seen a few people comparing this game to. XD ..all I had in my mind was like "Dungeons & Dragons..but is not Dungeons & Dragons..it's a similar name!" .. XD

Adding another review to the main post, Game Vortex gave it 95%.

A "tweet" from Toys for Bob mentioned that the Wii version has some differences over the others. Looking around to see what I can dig regarding differences or if someone that has 2 of the console versions (Wii/PS3) and knows of a few; let me know.

fernoca said:
A "tweet" from Toys for Bob mentioned that the Wii version has some differences over the others. Looking around to see what I can dig regarding differences or if someone that has 2 of the console versions (Wii/PS3) and knows of a few; let me know.

I've got the PS3, Wii, and 3DS versions, but I haven't had the time to play any of them yet. I'm nearing the end of Catherine and Arkham City and Professor Layton come out today so I'm not entirely sure how soon I'll get to play any of them not to mention compare them...

fernoca

El Pescado said:
I've got the PS3, Wii, and 3DS versions, but I haven't had the time to play any of them yet. I'm nearing the end of Catherine and Arkham City and Professor Layton come out today so I'm not entirely sure how soon I'll get to play any of them not to mention compare them...
:O! So awesome.
If you don't want that 3DS version; let me know too. XD

Morokh

Got the 3DS version, played a bit, it's pretty fun :p

Price is a bit steep but with the toys you can think of it as a 'collector's edition' of some sort.

fernoca said:
:O! So awesome.
If you don't want that 3DS version; let me know too. XD
I went to Toys R Us to pick the 3DS version up and the guy working the counter was all "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" and I figured the 3DS and Wii versions are different and I might as well get the PS3 version to maximize the amount of money I'm saving on the sale and then he was like "The figures are Buy 2, Get 1 free too..." and I went crazy.

Briarios

Just wanted to update everyone about the Drill Sergeant exclusive - it is also at Wal-Mart. I just picked it up there and it has the same exclusive marker on the front that Whirlwind did at Target. So, you do not have to go to Sam's to get it - just stop at Wal-Mart.

Makes sense, since they are pretty much the same store ...

fernoca

Briarios said:
Just wanted to update everyone about the Drill Sergeant exclusive - it is also at Wal-Mart. I just picked it up there and it has the same exclusive marker on the front that Whirlwind did at Target. So, you do not have to go to Sam's to get it - just stop at Wal-Mart.

Makes sense, since they are pretty much the same store ...
Good to know, adding the logo then. XD

If anything, I'll jump on the Sam's deal since it's included for free and for $5 less. Now I just need the $65+tax. XD

B-Dex

Does Dark Spyro work on the console version?

I'm tempted to get this for myself as B-Day gift after all the positive impressions.

Also Toys R Us has an ELITE LEGENDARY 3 pack with Legendary versions of Spyro Chop Chop and Bash.

B-Dex said:

I'm tempted to get this for myself as B-Day gift after all the positive impressions.

Also Toys R Us has an ELITE LEGENDARY 3 pack with Legendary versions of Spyro Chop Chop and Bash.

If I recall, yes.

More pressing for me: do the adventure level figures add anything to the 3DS version?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Played with a station at Target today.

Drobot looked awesome. And the Target Exclusive figure is a dragon that barfs rainbows at his opponent.

SykoTech

Interesting to hear so many positive impressions on this game. Guess I'll have to try it out something. Still can't get over how much they ruined Spyro's design though.

fernoca

B-Dex said:
Yep, regular Spyro works on 3DS, Dark Spyro works on consoles/PC.

TheUnknownForce said:
More pressing for me: do the adventure level figures add anything to the 3DS version?
Yep, unlock extra levels. Can see it actually (the whole process opening one of the adventure packs, sending it to the game and playing it)...in this video.

fernoca

bounchfx said:
so what's the consensus on the 3DS version? how are you guys liking it?
Well, don't have but from impressions:
-It's an entirely different game. Plays more like the original Spyro games; while the consoles versions has been described as similar to Gauntlet.

-A little more difficult than the console versions; though the last half and the end of the console versions is described by a few as really hard and not just for kids, but adults finding it really hard).

-That is a great game overall, and a lot of care was obviously put onto it.

RobbieNick

Damn this thread!! I had ZERO interest in this game until I came over here. Now I'm the proud owner of a PS3 copy and a legendary 3-pack (love the paint job).

Here's something that will interest you greatly. TRU is having a "Buy 2 get 1 free" sale on all video games and accessories. I found out when buying the game, Aliens Infestation for DS and the Legendary 3-pack that the toys count as game accessories. That means all Skylanders figures are buy 2, get 1 free at Toys R' Us. Go now!

DrForester said:
Played with a station at Target today.

Drobot looked awesome. And the Target Exclusive figure is a dragon that barfs rainbows at his opponent.

I'm off to Target then.

Alchemy

If this was released during a dead zone I might have considered picking up a base copy without the figures, but there is just way too many games popping up to really consider this now. I am curious how this stacks up on its own without any additional figure purchases though.

fernoca

Alchemy said:
If this was released during a dead zone I might have considered picking up a base copy without the figures, but there is just way too many games popping up to really consider this now. I am curious how this stacks up on its own without any additional figure purchases though.
There's no standalone version without figures and the game doesn't work without them. ;)

For the consoles/PC versions you need to have each figurine on the portal, removing them..stops the game. 3DS versions lets you scan the figures before each playthrough and to save their stats back to the figurines, you have to put them back into the portal.

With just the 3 starters you'll be fine, but you'll need to level them up a lot if you want to advance without problems. You'll also unlock stuff that you can't use until you buy other/specific figures; so you'll be constantly reminded to buy more. :p

M3d10n

I remember seeing random images months ago and just thinking it was a normal mascot game and wondering why money-hoarding Activision was bothering with it. I seriously had no idea this game involved plastic figurines or a cross-platform accessory.

It's a stroke of genius. So many birds killed with one store it's almost a massacre:

- Activision managed to release a $70 handheld game;
- They got console/PC version owners to even consider buying to $70 handheld version;
- The figurines are like physical DLC the parents can actually buy for their kids as gifts;
- The portal/figurines work as piracy deterrent;
- Even if the game is pirated, Activision can get some money on figurines;
- The games are actually good and are getting good reviews.

bounchfx

fernoca said:
Well, don't have but from impressions:
-It's an entirely different game. Plays more like the original Spyro games; while the consoles versions has been described as similar to Gauntlet.

-A little more difficult than the console versions; though the last half and the end of the console versions is described by a few as really hard and not just for kids, but adults finding it really hard).

-That is a great game overall, and a lot of care was obviously put onto it.

I look forward to hearing how you and others like it after you play it. I should be getting my copy in the mail soon, supposedly. I'm glad it's getting a bunch of positive press!

I remembered when I first heard about it, I thought it was such a great idea. It really is. I'm interested in seeing more cross-entertainment like this, but hopefully a little less heavy on the wallet!

Alchemy

fernoca said:
There's no standalone version without figures and the game doesn't work without them. ;)

For the consoles/PC versions you need to have each figurine on the portal, removing them..stops the game. 3DS versions lets you scan the figures before each playthrough and to save their stats back to the figurines, you have to put them back into the portal.

With just the 3 starters you'll be fine, but you'll need to level them up a lot if you want to advance without problems. You'll also unlock stuff that you can't use until you buy other/specific figures; so you'll be constantly reminded to buy more. :p

I meant the regular game purchase with whatever figures it comes with as the base version. It does make me a little sad I can't grab a digital version of the game though. No steam sales for Spyro :(

fernoca

2 more reviews posted in the main post, from Cheat Code Central.

4.3/5 for the console versions: basically it looks and plays great, weren't a big fan of the sound and the pricing may scare some potential buyers; but the execution and content more than make up for it.

4.1/5 for the 3DS version: One of the bets 3DS games when it comes to overall content and that is a great game that uses 3DS features as (looks on part with the remake of Ocarina of Time); more action oriented..but the collectible hats are only cosmetic and don't add anything unlike the console versions.

Alchemy said:
I meant the regular game purchase with whatever figures it comes with as the base version. It does make me a little sad I can't grab a digital version of the game though. No steam sales for Spyro :(
Oh that..sorry. :p

Alchemy

Oh hell, how does co-op function? My girlfriend would eat this game up after we finish going through LEGO Pirates....

My wallet is doomed.

fernoca

Alchemy said:
Oh hell, how does co-op function? My girlfriend would eat this game up after we finish going through LEGO Pirates....

My wallet is doomed.
Hehehe.. :p
From what I've seen, there's regular co-op and multiplayer.

Co-op( main story), you both just put your figures on the portal and play; whenever she wants to change character she just swaps her figure with another one. To stop playing, just remove it.

See the figures as memory cards. Some don't like that, because if they're playing with someone.. that someone can just take the figure and hide it, until they can both play together. :p

Alchemy

fernoca said:
Hehehe.. :p
From what I've seen, there's regular co-op and multiplayer.

Co-op( main story), you both just put your figures on the portal and play; whenever she wants to change character she just swaps her figure with another one. To stop playing, just remove it.

See the figures as memory cards. Some don't like that, because if they're playing with someone.. that someone can just take the figure and hide it, until they can both play together. :p

Do we each need a portal of power?

RobbieNick

What I think is cool is that a collector doesn't have to open the package to play a character. You can plop them right on the portal still in their package. That's how it was at the Toys R Us display.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RobbieNick said:
What I think is cool is that a collector doesn't have to open the package to play a character. You can plop them right on the portal still in their package. That's how it was at the Toys R Us display.
Target has that display, it's a brilliant idea. Kids can watch a trailer of the character before they buy.

goMaki

RobbieNick said:
Good to hear. I was hoping this was the case, as I am really picky like that.

fernoca

Hehehe, was about to say that (about the USB dongle in the battery compartment). Heard about it checking online earlier.
In fact, going to add it to the main post. XD

Also, those worried or that want to do it just because; you can reset the figurines back to their original state (i.e. erase stats, levels, etc.)

1. Go to the character screen
  2. Go to 'Manage'
  3. Choose 'Reset'
  4. Confirm

Hawk269

fernoca said:
Yeah, would be interesting to see if there's some of update method in the game already or something of sorts planned for the future; or they will just release new games and figures every year.

They could technically release updates as only downloads/updates for everyone and "special bundles" sold in store. Free updates for those with the game, since they will need to buy the figures by separate and a $20-$30 add-on pack in retail with the update/disc/expansion and a few new figures for those that are not able to download them.

Whatever it is, it should be something simple and painless; since their main public/demographic is younger children and parents. And with the reports of sellouts already in multiple areas; the less they want is to piss off a fanbase by releasing a new version that voids this one next year.

But, we'll see. The way things are, it wouldn't surprise me if it's new toys and game every year. :p..with the "old toys" becoming "rare collectible/trades" that unlock "cool stuff" in the new ones.

From what I understand and taking a que from the name of the game, that there will be additional software made available with more levels etc. The game is called "SKYLANDERS: Spyro's Adventure". They could release next year "SKYLANDERS: <insert character name> Adventure". Release some new toys, but also backwards compatible with the existing figures. If this thing takes off as many think it will, I can see software sequels selling like crazy. I can easily see the following:

1.) Software only - basically new Adventures featuring whatever character.
2.) Software and Portal Bundle w/3 new Figures - For those that dont have the original game.

I don't see them releasing 30 new characters next year, but I can easily see 6 more new characters, plus the new software adventure.

Takao

Banned
Hawk269 said:
From what I understand and taking a que from the name of the game, that there will be additional software made available with more levels etc. The game is called "SKYLANDERS: Spyro's Adventure". They could release next year "SKYLANDERS: <insert character name> Adventure". Release some new toys, but also backwards compatible with the existing figures. If this thing takes off as many think it will, I can see software sequels selling like crazy. I can easily see the following:

1.) Software only - basically new Adventures featuring whatever character.
2.) Software and Portal Bundle w/3 new Figures - For those that dont have the original game.

I don't see them releasing 30 new characters next year, but I can easily see 6 more new characters, plus the new software adventure.

SKYLANDERS: Crash's Quest with 30 new* figures to collect!

*20 of which are repaints and remolds of existing figures.

Top Bottom