• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Hawk269

Persona7 said:
Yeah, I am getting Kameo vibes from this game!

I love it!

Glad I am not the only one. I really hope that they make addtional levels to use the characters in, beyond those that are on the disk. I do notice no DLC option in the games menu though..so it could be something disk based. My prediction is that we will get a "Skylanders: Chop Chop Adventures" add-on or any other characters name as a way to get more adventures/levels into the game sometime next year.

They know that adding more levels of gameplay and/or making all new adventures wil be the only real way to expand the game now. Yes, they can make for figures, but they need more areas for the new figures to play in and/or more areas for existing characters to play in and continue to advance. I mean, there is a reason for having a level 10 cap and that is to expand it further with more adventures etc.

It sounds like Jeff from GiantBomb found a new crack addiction, small electronic figures...lol.

fernoca

New review posted in the main post...
Game Chronicles: 8.5

Skylanders delivers a solid presentation perfectly suited for the genre and the target age group. Everything is cute and charming, even the more sinister creatures have a unique flair about them. The 3D worlds are magnificent with a floating-fixed camera that never loses track of the action, and actually gets pretty cinematic at times. The colors and special effects are guaranteed to delight almost as much as the engaging voice acting that is loaded with equal parts humor and charm, all focused around the pivotal role of Flynn, voiced by Patrick Warburton. There are even some clever control moments like pushing the stick to insert a key or waggling the stick to shake open a chest or package.

Sure, compulsive completionists will have to spend $300 to get it all, making me wonder why they don’t have some super-deluxe edition that does have it “all”. But for average folks on modest budgets, you and your kids will certainly find hours of entertainment in the core box, and you now have 30 carrots to dangle on a stick to get your kids to do chores, get good grades, or stop hitting their sister. Ultimately, Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure is a joy to play and a surprising treat that is destined to be the most talked-about game of the holiday season.

Hawk269

Well, there seems to be a big difference from the Stat Cards versus "In-Game" stats for the figures. In an earlier post, I posted the stat differences from the cards for the "Legenday Spyro" vs. "Regular Spyro....but in game, the stats are totally different. So for in game, here are the differences (very minor). These are all base stats at level 1.

Regular Spyro, in-game he is named "Spyro".
Max Health - 280
Speed - 50
Armor - 18
Critical Hit - 30
Elemental Power - 25

Legendary Spyro, in game he is named "L-Spyro" no physcical difference in-game.
Max Health - 280
Speed - 50
Armore - 18
Critical Hit - 50
Elemental Power - 25

So it seems like the only difference is and "L" in front of the name and the only stat that is higher is the Critical Hit. I am just curious as why the cards show luck, strength, but in game both of those are not present? I mean, if you are in a store looking for a character and you see the card, you think those are the starting stats, but in-game they are way different and different stats themselves.

**Update**

After closer inspection, yes, the in-game characters physical look is different. I just put the regular Spyro and the Legendary and the legenday does have golden highlights in-game..so there is a physical in-game difference as well. Sorry for the confusion, it is late and am very tired.

fernoca

Hawk269 said:
So it seems like the only difference is and "L" in front of the name and the only stat that is higher is the Critical Hit. I am just curious as why the cards show luck, strength, but in game both of those are not present? I mean, if you are in a store looking for a character and you see the card, you think those are the starting stats, but in-game they are way different and different stats themselves.
Though, maybe the stats are different. (don't have the games, so can't check); but based on the site; it refers to them as 'Power Stats' and lists Strength, Agility, Defense and luck.

So maybe the stats in the cars are general stats; while in game stats are different..or measured in a different way. Maybe the stats are the ones that change by leveling up; while the 'Power' ones are general ones to describe that character.

Don't know if the cards refer to the as 'Power Stats'; in that case..I don't know. :p

Tyeforce noted that leveling seems to be different/faster on the 3DS version; so maybe there's another variant involved.

Maybe just printed ones are so kids/people buying them can have a basic idea about them; while the in-game ones cover other aspects..

Regarding the difference between Legendary and non- legendary:

My son said he spotted variations on attacks when watching Bash and the legendary version of him in the little preview movies. Could just be his eyes playing tricks on him though. He mentioned something about statues or stone attacks- he was explaining it in Japanese to his sister and I didn't catch everything he was saying.

I guess I'll check Sam's Club online then. Where the hell's the fun in getting plastic crack if you can't get it in person though?

Maybe Frank and Sons will have some dealer selling this stuff for a reasonable price...

This game is going to be HUGE this holiday, just saw a piece on the news about it and and several kids shows when I flipped though some tv channels today.

Hawk269

Finally figured out where the "Lengendary" Treasure was in the first chapter. Pretty tricky of them I must say.

lolmark

Question: How many people here are in their mid-twenties, unmarried with no kids, and feeling tempted to buying more figurines?

I'm stunned by how much I like this game. :3

Briarios

Haha that Gamera-like figure Gerstmann mentioned is my top most wanted - it even spins lol it's in the second wave, though - I can't wait.

I think the thing that surprises me most is how different each of the characters feels when you use them. To me, that's is what gives it longevity. I'm actually interested in leveling each one up.

Gvaz

Banned
I've never played a spyro game before but I've seen them played before and all I have to say to the OP I read is:

6ODrl.jpg

Spyro is now 3D interactive beyblade? Or more in depth Video Board Games from the 80s/90s? The fuck?

Liberty4all

Banned
Briarios said:
Haha that Gamera-like figure Gerstmann mentioned is my top most wanted - it even spins lol it's in the second wave, though - I can't wait.

I think the thing that surprises me most is how different each of the characters feels when you use them. To me, that's is what gives it longevity. I'm actually interested in leveling each one up.

The whole game feels different each time you use a different character. Every character makes the 15 hour campaign feel fresh again ... to me that's part of the genius of the whole system.

The Gerstmann twitter comments are hilarious by the way, watching him spiral into helpless addiction lol

Morokh

lolmark said:
Question: How many people here are in their mid-twenties, unmarried with no kids, and feeling tempted to buying more figurines?

*raises hand*

Makes you feel like a 10 year old again, except you can actually afford buying all this expensive things xD

Liberty4all

Banned
lolmark said:

I'm tempted more because I'm worried that a month from now it will be impossible to get your hands on Skylanders until after Christmas ...

Hell the shortages may start even sooner than that.

The game is very addictive.

Hawk269

lolmark said:

I am in my 40's and have the same feelings man. Even though I have about 10 figures or so, I was looking at some of the other ones and thinking that I should get a few more...lol.

I played some more this morning and yeah, the game has alot of charm and some of the challenges modes are pretty challenging. Overall, still very impressed by the game and looking forward to whatever they decide to add to it, not necessarily new figures, but more in-game content etc.

The addiction of "old-school" gaming of finding all the secrets etc. is what is drawing me more into the game and teh fact that there are quite a bit of challenges in each level as well as some puzzles that seem a little easy, but when you first approach one you start planning out..."how do I get to that part???".

B-Dex

Are the only AIR types Sonic Boom and Whirlwind?

Anyone know if Whirlwind is available in Canada? and Where? Since it's exclusive to Target in the states.

Tyeforce

B-Dex said:
Are the only AIR types Sonic Boom and Whirlwind?

Anyone know if Whirlwind is available in Canada? and Where? Since it's exclusive to Target in the states.
Those are the only two available at the moment. Warnado and Lightning Rod will also be available later.

MicH

Oh man, this seems very interesting. I love these kind of things, but the price is scaring me a bit.

Are there any deals for these in Europe?

RobbieNick

IlliterateBookworm said:
Regarding the difference between Legendary and non- legendary:

My son said he spotted variations on attacks when watching Bash and the legendary version of him in the little preview movies. Could just be his eyes playing tricks on him though. He mentioned something about statues or stone attacks- he was explaining it in Japanese to his sister and I didn't catch everything he was saying.

I guess I'll check Sam's Club online then. Where the hell's the fun in getting plastic crack if you can't get it in person though?

Maybe Frank and Sons will have some dealer selling this stuff for a reasonable price...

Howdy neighbor! I go to Frank and Sons collectibles too.

Briarios said:

LOL Me too. I gotta have Warnado. He looks like a cross between Gamera and Bulbasaur.

Think of what kind of marketing genius that is! They put toy commercials inside the game!! XD

fernoca

Another review posted...
Totally Gaming Network: 8.5

Overall, Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure is a really fun title. The game is aimed at a younger
demographic and kids should have a lot of fun with this adventure. If you are a Spyro fan you should still play this game no matter how old you are. If the game is properly marketed by Activision I can see this becoming a hot item for kids this holiday season. For the collectors out there if you want the whole collection there will eventually be 32 characters and each one will cost $7.99 or you can get a three pack for $19.99. That’s not a bad price for characters that will “remember” everything you do in the game and allow you to play on other platforms with your friends. If you haven’t liked the recent Spyro titles you still might want to give this a chance. I always enjoy it when a developer takes risks and thinks outside of the box. The development team over at Toys For Bob have done exactly that and it has resulted in a really fun and different experience.

A small question. I finished a couple of heroic challenges and received stat bonuses for that. If you play them again you won't get the stat bonus again.

But what happens when i play at a friend's house and play the same heroic challenge there. Wil I get the stat bonus then?

Liberty4all

Banned
Henk_Glimlach said:
A small question. I finished a couple of heroic challenges and received stat bonuses for that. If you play them again you won't get the stat bonus again.

But what happens when i play at a friend's house and play the same heroic challenge there. Wil I get the stat bonus then?

I don't think so since your character data in the minature shows you already have the stat bonus/have completed the challenge.

beje

Banned
Still waiting a response to know how much content does the 3DS core pack boast in terms of game hours to justify the premium pricetag (it's almost as much as 2 games...)

Takao

Banned
beje said:
Still waiting a response to know how much content does the 3DS core pack boast in terms of game hours to justify the premium pricetag (it's almost as much as 2 games...)

I had some gift cards, so I purchased the 3DS version today. Hopefully I can get back to you about playtime with the base set of figures.

fernoca

I kinda thing that part of the reason the 3DS version costs as much as the console ones; is a combination of three things:

1. Activision has been like that in the past. Guitar Hero on Wii were $50, others $60. GHWii was a success; so GHWii games started been priced at $60 too. Around that time, GHWii games also started having as much (and in some aspects more) content as the other "HD" versions (DS connectivity, Mii use, online downloads, online multiplayer, etc.).

2. To show that the 3DS version "may be worth it as that price". Keeping in mind that the 3DS version not only uses a different/smaller/wireless portal and includes 3 figures that can't be acquired (at the moment ) by other ways (consoles/PC version all have the same 3 starter-figures).

3. Also keeping in mind that the 3DS version is a complete different game. It shares the same universe and characters, but the storyline is different, the genre is different (a platformer -ala the original games-; on which you unlock worlds by collecting crystals -ala Mario 64-).

In that way, the $70 price, the different figures might get people interested in wondering "WTF it costs as much as the others and the figures are different..Oh! Is a different game!"...kind of way. :p

fernoca

Takao said:
Why isn't there camera control in the 3DS version Vicarious Visions!
Design decision apparently. The camera's well positioned from what I've seen and read and doesn't conflict with the game; but it doesn't allow for backtracking; so "to collect and look for the hats and hidden things" you have to replay the entire thing.

beje

Banned
fernoca said:
Design decision apparently. The camera's well positioned from what I've seen and read and doesn't conflict with the game; but it doesn't allow for backtracking; so "to collect and look for the hats and hidden things" you have to replay the entire thing.

Another question I have about the 3DS version. Is there a way to "load" a character to the game and not need the portal around for playing? I do a lot of gaming in my daily commute so I really don't want to bring that stuff around for quick bursts.

Heroic levels are hard as hell. Or maybe I'm just using the wrong guy...my 4 year old loves this game. He tries to play it the best he can but I have to help him sometimes. This is really the first game he's ever played on his own. The puzzles are a bit hard for him, but I help him with those.

fernoca

beje said:
Another question I have about the 3DS version. Is there a way to "load" a character to the game and not need the portal around for playing? I do a lot of gaming in my daily commute so I really don't want to bring that stuff around for quick bursts.
Yep; the 3DS version works that way actually.
Unlike the console versions, were you need the portal always connected and the figure in the portal all the time; the 3DS version allows you to load 2 characters at the same time, play for whatever amount of time you want and then you just put the character on the portal to transfer whatever you did.

So, you don't need to carry the portal with you; just to make sure which 2 characters you'd like to use...before leaving your house. You tag along those 2 characters at any time during the game. And if you want to play with that character in another version; just remember to put the character/figure in the portal to transfer the stats.

beje

Banned
fernoca said:
Yep; the 3DS version works that way actually.
Unlike the console versions, were you need the portal always connected and the figure in the portal all the time; the 3DS version allows you to load 2 characters at the same time, play for whatever amount of time you want and then you just put the character on the portal to transfer whatever you did.

So, you don't need to carry the portal with you; just to make sure which 2 characters you'd like to use...before leaving your house. You tag along those 2 characters at any time during the game. And if you want to play with that character in another version; just remember to put the character/figure in the portal to transfer the stats.

Cool! Vicarious Visions rarely dissappoint in Nintendo consoles.

fernoca

piratepwnsninja said:
I've put together a list of Skylanders and how they are available. If anyone is interested, I'll share out a doc.
I'd be interested...on adding it to the main post (if you want). :p

fernoca

Yaceka said:
How are the Wii and 3DS versions? I'm thinking of picking them both up. Which would you say is better?
Are different; so depends on the kind of game you like.

-Consoles/PC are more like Gauntlet. You can't jump, you go around defeating enemies, getting experience and collecting items. With some minigames- here and there to add some variety. You can play co-op too (2 players); and there's a separate multiplayer (up to 2 players).

-3DS versions plays like Spyro/Mario 64. You can dash, jump, double jump; explore around defeating enemies and collecting crystals; which unlock other levels (like the stars in Mario 64).

SebastianAlexander said:
Legendary TRIGGER HAPPY??? Where does this information come from, are there any pictures of it? I quite like Trigger Happy :) does this mean they will release the 3 starters as legendarys?

EDIT: ok never mind, I found it

tn1al.jpg

No idea where to find him though. If anyone does let me know so I can update.

Hawk269

piratepwnsninja said:

Very cool man. Thanks for making this. And I know I said it before, but it is worth mentioning once again that the Figures at Toys R Us are Buy 2 get 1 Free until the end of the day Saturday.

The best deal is to get the 2 3Pack Add-on's with the Crypt and Pirate Seas and the 3 pack Legendary figures. Each are 19.99, so one of them will be Free! Not here to advertise for Toys R Us, but with some stating the expense of these figures, when you can get 1 for free, it is good savings for us gamers. Today I picked up another 6 figures, got 2 of them for free!!!

Takao

Banned
Is Trigger Happy available to buy in one of the packs, or single releases? I bought the 3DS version, and don't have any interest in buying a console version.

Liberty4all

Banned
My collection so far:

Gill grunt
Prism break
Terrafin
Flamesplitter
Spyro
Voodood
Trigger happy
Boomer
Stealth elf
Sonic boom
Chop chop
Bash
Eruptor

As well as pirate ship, hidden treasure, and ghost swords.

Hawk269

piratepwnsninja said:
No idea where to find him though. If anyone does let me know so I can update.

I dont think he is part of the original launch of figures. I think he is part of wave 2, but I don't know when wave 2 is coming out. It seems like half of the figures are out now and then a 2nd batch is in-bound. I want the Gamera looking one the most right now.

UberTag

I don't like it when the evil company comes up with an amazing and innovative gaming concept I can't support due to my self-imposed boycott. :(

Takao said:
Is Trigger Happy available to buy in one of the packs, or single releases? I bought the 3DS version, and don't have any interest in buying a console version.

Unless the legendary version is available separately, I haven't seen him except in the console packs.

Was gonna get Batman but I'm going to suprise my daughter with this game. Have a feeling I'm gonna come home with more than just the starter pack

Hawk269

Bamelin said:
Nice list. Maybe add the upcoming expansion packs and items too? You can get that information in the universe game when browsing collection.

Yes. There are 2 more expansion packs coming out, so there will be a total of 4 with 1 unigue character in each set alongside trinkets.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Yes. There are 2 more expansion packs coming out, so there will be a total of 4 with 1 unigue character in each set alongside trinkets.

I only glanced at the adventure expansions when in the web game but I'm pretty sure there are six (including the two availble now). Will double check.

Top Bottom