• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

zlatko

Banned
Stahsky said:
That is all I ask for. The game looks plenty good, though. Don't forget to take in just how large the game is in comparison to The Witcher 2.

It's so hard for any western RPG coming out now after Witcher 2 to impress me. If the visuals don't stack up then they have to do tons to out match it in other departments like story, dialog, choices, combat, side quests, etc.

I'm definitely excited for this game, but the Witcher 2 spoiled me and brought down my hype for Skyrim a shit ton after playing Witcher 2. :p

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
zlatko said:
It's so hard for any western RPG coming out now after Witcher 2 to impress me. If the visuals don't stack up then they have to do tons to out match it in other departments like story, dialog, choices, combat, side quests, etc.

I'm definitely excited for this game, but the Witcher 2 spoiled me and brought down my hype for Skyrim a shit ton after playing Witcher 2. :p

Witcher 2 may very well be a GOTY for me, so I agree for the most part. But I find it difficult to judge the two together. They may both be RPGs, but they both seek to do something different with it. So long as Skyrim tries to keep high in quality and free of nasty bugs, I'll be happy. But I don't expect them to hit their mark with the bug free part.

KKRT00

JaseC said:
He means that the source assets will be identical, and he would be right. On the PC you're not going to see "better textures" per se, just better texture quality.

Give the game a few months in the wild and you'll have a worthwhile texture mod.
Lack of good textures is not a big problem in mod friendly game ;p

--edit--
Damn, wrong post quote.

szaromir

Banned
I prefer Skyrim's artstyle. And it'll probably run much better, too. Plus it's going to be open world. More importantly, I fully expect Skyrim to be my GotY, anything else will be a disappointment.

disappeared said:
I am really, really curious to see what the PS3 version looks like. I hope they don't hold out too much longer.
They will never show more than a single version of the game for promotion and media, there's no reason too. Someone who claimed to be on the team said not to worry about it, which is code for inferior. I won't play this game half-assed, if they can't be bothered to make the quality consistent regardless of the version then fuck it. This is one game I won't buy a fucked version of.

Mastperf

BobTheFork said:
They will never show more than a single version of the game for promotion and media, there's no reason too. Someone who claimed to be on the team said not to worry about it, which is code for inferior. I won't play this game half-assed, if they can't be bothered to make the quality consistent regardless of the version then fuck it. This is one game I won't buy a fucked version of.
Never tie yourself down to a single gaming device. You only hurt youself by doing so.

bengraven

herzogzwei1989 said:
slightly off-topic.
I had a question about Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Wasn't this game originally supposed to have soft shadows and perhaps other graphical features that were shown in the tech demo, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5h3K9DXVso but were taken out of the final game ?

Anyone familar with this, I'd like to know as much as possible. I guess it was for performance reasons. Do you think that Skyrim has the graphical quality of the Oblivion tech demo? I cannot tell from the trailer.

The lack of soft shadowing broke my heart. Oblivion was thousands of peoples' first glimpse of next-gen gaming and when that video came out we were blown away. Soft shadows were a huge part of that.

Did they ever mod those back in?

MrBig

Mastperf said:
Never tie yourself down to a single gaming device. You only hurt youself by doing so.
Yep, I've got a 360 and a capable rig to play all the games that I want to play on. Any games that I want have come out for either of those two so I've never felt a need for anything more.
Skyrim is certainly going to be a PC purchase for me.

I haven't decided if I should get this first or BF3. If i wait on Skyrim I would be more scared of getting anything spoiled but if I get BF3 first there should be a substantial amount of visual mods to get by the time I finish with that.

bengraven said:
The lack of soft shadowing broke my heart. Oblivion was thousands of peoples' first glimpse of next-gen gaming and when that video came out we were blown away. Soft shadows were a huge part of that.

I was really disappointed that the final game didn't have soft shadows, it looked amazing.

Did they ever mod those back in?

good question.

Blue Ninja said:
Yup. That's all we've seen so far.

Great! It looks awesome. I'll get both 360 and PC version though, just to see what the differences are.

wit3tyg3r

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'll get both 360 and PC version though, just to see what the differences are.

I have a similar plan. I want to get the PC version through Steam and the collector's edition of the XBOX version. But we will see if that is financially possible for me when the game releases.

Gattsu25

Banned
KKRT00 said:
Lack of good textures is not a big problem in mod friendly game ;p
At the same time, developers should not always rely on the community to fix broken, muddy (or otherwise low fidelity) art assets.

Mastperf said:
If you are offering to buy me another for free, awesome! Otherwise it's reality. I honestly don't think I want to own more than one system that plays the same game anyways.

BobTheFork said:
If you are offering to buy me another for free, awesome! Otherwise it's reality. I honestly don't think I want to own more than one system that plays the same game anyways.
You're basically asking them to dumb down a version that they can probably do more on if they can't equal it on the other.

Dark Octave said:
You're basically asking them to dumb down a version that they can probably do more on if they can't equal it on the other.
No, I'm asking them to make the 'bad' version better. I'm a software engineer, maybe it's just because I'm fresh out of school but I feel like making two versions of the same product, except one is inferior, is just awful. The customers are no different, the money is no different so I think it's terrible that the product is different. It's not just for PS3 stuff, anyone who buys the port version and not the prime build usually gets shit on and it's bullshit.

By the way, the sequel novel to "The Infernal City" now has a cover art. Umbriel's headed for the Imperial City, undoubtedly in an attempt to get rid of all the Gamebryo-faced NPC's.

CP0Hq.jpg

wit3tyg3r

Blue Ninja said:
By the way, the sequel novel to "The Infernal City" now has a cover art. Umbriel's headed for the Imperial City, undoubtedly in an attempt to get rid of all the Gamebryo-faced NPC's.

CP0Hq.jpg

FINALLY! I've been waiting for this moment. I've read the original a few times through just out of anticipation for the second. While I think the story could be better, my love for the Elder Scrolls games and lore compels me to absorb as much TES as I can LOL

wit3tyg3r said:
FINALLY! I've been waiting for this moment. I've read the original a few times through just out of anticipation for the second. While I think the story could be better, my love for the Elder Scrolls games and lore compels me to absorb as much TES as I can LOL
It comes out September 27th, so you're still going to have to wait a while. :lol

I liked the first, it's the first non-Halo related gaming novel I have on my shelf.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
wit3tyg3r said:

how many books are there of ES?

Micerider

The Witcher 2 and Skyrim's (well, all Edler's Scrolls for what matters) are very different types of RPG. One is story and choice driven while the later is about open-world and liberty.

I like both type of atmosphears and I can easily see both games co-exist in my "best-RPG" of the year list. At any rate, they would most probably blow Dragon Age 2 out of the water (well for the Witcher 2, it's now a sure thing, and for Skyrim, I'm quite confident).

archnemesis said:
Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a try. I've never read a novel based on a game before.
It's set almost 40 years after Oblivion, and introduces a lot of new characters. The only character from Oblivion mentioned once or twice is Martin. It's basically a decently-written fantasy novel in a fantasy world that happens to be the same one we've ventured around in for several games.

It's the most "realistic" depiction of the TES-universe, though. Vvardenfell and Cyrodiill were pretty "condensed" in the games, while the novel depicts them in their real sizes.

wit3tyg3r

Blue Ninja said:
It comes out September 27th, so you're still going to have to wait a while. :lol

Aw man :( At least it comes out before Skyrim so it will be something to whet my appetite for Skyrim...as if it's not already whet enough lol

Blue Ninja said:
There's only one right now: "The Infernal City". I thought it was pretty good, though some might disagree.

Don't get me wrong. I liked The Infernal City. It was good. I just think that there are better fantasy novels out there.

archnemesis said:
How good are the Elder Scrolls books compared to non-gaming fantasy novels?

The novel is decent. If you love the Elder Scrolls lore then the book is a great way to expand on that. However, I think that authors like R.A. Salvatore (author of many books based off the Dungeons and Dragons lore) are better. The Infernal City is the first book I ever read by Greg Keyes so it may just be that I am not used to his style of writing.

It's very difficult to get me to read many fantasy novels because some authors can get very corny with their Tolkienian interpretations, but I was drawn completely into The Infernal City, which is a good thing. Definitely check it out if you like ES lore and as a way to set a bridge between Oblivion and Skyrim.

After seeing the stream flowing through the cave with magic being used in Skyrim, I am reminded of the unreleased action RPG called Power Crystal for the canceled 3DO M2 console. Power Crystal reminds me so much of Elder Scrolls it isn't even funny. Here's a description of the game:

One exceptional title under development off site is what is being described by IG sources as the first-ever virtual reality RPG, Power Crystal. According to those who have witnessed the game in motion, the early version of the graphics engine is blazingly fast despite its use of beautiful visual effects: You can walk up to the shore line of a river or lake and see glimmering translucent water splashing the shoreline without polygon breakup, and you can then look into the water and see pebbles and sedimentary rocks in the basin. Early versions allow the player to fully walk around and explore a village.

Finally I will be able to do this in the beautiful world of Skyrim.

edit: here are a couple of screens from a town in Power Crystal on M2, and keep in mind, this is 1996!

m2powcr.jpg

m2powcr2.jpg

Swedish gaming magazine Level has a preview of Skyrim up. Most of the stuff we already know, but I liked the way the writer described the combat:

The bandit attacks Todd with a wild war cry. He strikes with his sword and Todd manages to block the attack with his shield. The enemy takes a few steps back and goes into a defensive stance.He waits for Todd to make a move, but Todd waits patiently. The bandit finally grows impatient and attacks once more. But instead of blocking, Todd this time raises his sword and buries it in the enemy’s stomach, which he has left open. The whole screen is pushed back as the weight of the dead body lands on Todd. He stumbles, but regains his footing and manages to push off the body. The bandit slides off the edge of the sword and hits the ground.

- The Dark Brotherhood is also mentioned in the preview. They've "spread their roots all over Tamriel and will use the internal conflicts in Skyrim to their advantage."
- A new Dragon Shout is mentioned: hovering. Levitation has already been denied, so what exactly this means, or if it's just a misquote, remains to be seen.
- Companions might start talking to you while you're traveling. Instead of staring blankly into the back of your skull like in Oblivion, they'll use gestures and such to seem more 'alive'.
- Todd says: “…[in oblivion] we sacrificed what made morrowind so special: the wonder of discovery. In skyrim we are trying to find our way back to that feeling.”

Thanks to Bethesda Forums member Carnival for the info and translation.

Gravijah

Has there been any word on how valuables in homes/etc will be handled? IIRC, in Oblivion, when you stole stuff, it never came back.

Blue Ninja said:
- Todd says: “…[in oblivion] we sacrificed what made morrowind so special: the wonder of discovery. In skyrim we are trying to find our way back to that feeling.”

Thanks to Bethesda Forums member Carnival for the info and translation.

Animated-GIFs-flight-of-the-conchords-3809583-412-333.gif

wit3tyg3r

Blue Ninja: That excerpt you quoted was awesome. I pictured everything in my head and, assuming Bethesda doesn't remove anything before release, it's gonna be awesome. I like that weight of both the weapons and the characters affects gameplay. But as you have said many times before, it should all be taken with a grain of salt.

171 days, guys! :p

Todd Howard on Skyrim (sorry if old):

"We knew, like before, we had to start over," says Howard via Skyrim's official website. "We needed to reinvent large parts of the game and its tech. We started with the graphics renderer and how we would bring the scale of snow-covered mountains, dynamic weather systems and massive dragons to life, along with the small details of how people lived - from the forks they used to the fish they caught and the meat they cooked. We then rewrote all the major graphics and gameplay systems, including lighting, shadows, level of detail, animation, interface, scripting, dialogue, quest systems, melee, magic and more."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/301087/e3-2011-games-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/

wit3tyg3r

herzogzwei1989 said:

You mentioned food, and it made me think back to one of my desires for the game: eating and drinking animations.

Imagine, if you will, in the heat of battle with a dragon, you are knocked back suffering great damage. In an attempt to get up, you realize your health is low. So you grab a potion, take a swig, and throw the empty bottle off to the side with force and then charge at the dragon as your health meter fills up.

Lol, that may be a bit much, but I would like to at least see some consumption animations, a la The Witcher.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blue Ninja said:
Depends on your own personal taste, I guess. The PC-version runs better and has mods and patches.

No it doesn't. Get the PC version.

Anyways, it's nice of Todd to say these things but I can't help but feel like he's just trying to get in my pants right now. I'm excited and everything but actions speak louder than words.

broham

Snuggler said:
but I can't help but feel like he's just trying to get in my pants right now.
My thoughts exactly.
He can whisper sweet nothings in my ear all he wants, I'll wait to see some real gameplay before I decide whether or not to let my hype train leave the station.

Dark Octave said:

Ummm, haven't they already done that by leading on 360? Otherwise they should be leading on PC...don't get me wrong, the game looks blooming great, so I don't mind either way. But it isn't likely to beat out the Witcher 2 any time soon.

Top Bottom