• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

Exuro

Blue Ninja said:
I'm assuming the 'control stick' means the movement stick. I don't expect the swordplay to control very differently than Oblivion.
In that case no moving while fighting? Either way it sounds strange. Can't wait to see it in action though.

EDIT: If it is the movement stick then PC players are boned no?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
hiryu said:
I'm so glad Mass Effect 3 got delayed. Now I can sink the proper amount of time into Skyrim. All of the new info sounds great.
I kind of wish It hadn't, so I could pick it up in a bargain bin at Wal-Mart by the time I was done with Skyrim. ME2 hit the 20$ racks quickly.

Exuro said:
In that case no moving while fighting? Either way it sounds strange. Can't wait to see it in action though.

You could decide the direction of your swings in Oblivion by using the movement stick. You could still move during combat, as well.

GreekWolf

neoism said:
:( I'll still put a shit load of time in this game but :(
Honestly, it's really not all that much different from Morrowind. Most bandit caves, tombs, grottoes and Daedra shrines could be cleaned out in 15-20 minutes. You normally had a few baddies to kill, a pile of junky weapons and armor to poke through, and a load of magic potions/thief rings to loot. I still enjoyed each one as a mini-adventure.

It was the select few "epic" dungeons (most of which were hidden) that really stood out and made the game so memorable and magical. My favorite was the underwater grotto off the coast of Ebonheart, which looked inconspicuous and boring at first glance, but held a secret Dwemer fortress deep within it's walls.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blue Ninja said:
I'm assuming because it's the lead platform, and they want to show off what they can pull off on consoles.
That, and I imagine they think it's the platform that will sell the most.

Irish

Wallach said:
Translated from Norwegian via Google, not sure what he actually meant there.

It seemed like he was saying this: "Before, in Oblivion, the only thing the stealth indicator hinted at was how hidden from view you were. Now, it also gives you an idea of just how suspicious the enemies actually are."

Irish said:
It seemed like he was saying this: "Before, in Oblivion, the only thing the stealth indicator hinted at was how hidden from view you were. Now, it also gives you an idea of just how suspicious the enemies actually are."

Which is a damned godsend for stealth characters. Oblivion's stealth system pissed me off because once an NPC enemy saw you, you were fucked. You couldn't sneak around and flank them from another side. They always knew exactly where you were, even if you dodged out of sight. The DANGER/CAUTION system works better because you can eventually evade an enemy and attempt to re-sneak them.

Spat_triate

Exuro said:

Why would it be any different. PC gamers would just use WASD instead of the stick.

slightly off-topic.
I had a question about Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Wasn't this game originally supposed to have soft shadows and perhaps other graphical features that were shown in the tech demo, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5h3K9DXVso but were taken out of the final game ?

Anyone familar with this, I'd like to know as much as possible. I guess it was for performance reasons. Do you think that Skyrim has the graphical quality of the Oblivion tech demo? I cannot tell from the trailer.

wit3tyg3r

Blue Ninja said:
I'm assuming because it's the lead platform, and they want to show off what they can pull off on consoles.

And imagine what can be pulled off on a custom-built gaming PC...It makes me shiver with excitement just to think of it!

I hope they show comparison screenshots between the 360, the PS3, and a PC running it on max settings.

BTW, 179 days until release (as of this post)!!

herzogzwei1989 said:
slightly off-topic.
I had a question about Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Wasn't this game originally supposed to have soft shadows and perhaps other graphical features that were shown in the tech demo, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5h3K9DXVso but were taken out of the final game ?

Anyone familar with this, I'd like to know as much as possible. I guess it was for performance reasons. Do you think that Skyrim has the graphical quality of the Oblivion tech demo? I cannot tell from the trailer.

Wow...that lighting is nice. I guess they may have overshot their hopes of the power in a current-gen console. Todd mentioned the game being under development for three years already at that point and since the 360 was released in 2005 (and the PS3 in 2006), the game began development a couple years before the 360's launch, so they may have had to cut down the intensity. Now, I am not sure what lighting engine the 360 uses for Oblivion (Bloom vs. HDR). I know that HDR is much better, but that can only be enabled on the PC version. If Bloom lighting is being used on the consoles, then that would explain the lesser-quality lighting in the actual release of Oblivion vs. that tech demo. I think that next-gen consoles need to use dedicated GPU's rather than APU's (GPU's and CPU's on the same die). That would (...should...) significantly help the consoles' ability to render PC-grade graphics.

wit3tyg3r

Seanspeed said:
That makes it sound like a real long time a way. :(

Which it *is*, but still, makes it sound worse.

I feel the same way every time I look at my count-down clock :(

SalsaShark said:
Thank god, gives me time to upgrade my rig :p

If anything, I will buy a second GTX-570 and run them in two-way SLI :D

Mastperf

wit3tyg3r said:
And imagine what can be pulled off on a custom-built gaming PC...It makes me shiver with excitement just to think of it!

I hope they show comparison screenshots between the 360, the PS3, and a PC running it on max settings.

Wow...that lighting is nice. I guess they may have overshot their hopes of the power in a current-gen console. Todd mentioned the game being under development for three years already at that point and since the 360 was released in 2005 (and the PS3 in 2006), the game began development a couple years before the 360's launch, so they may have had to cut down the intensity. Now, I am not sure what lighting engine the 360 uses for Oblivion (Bloom vs. HDR). I know that HDR is much better, but that can only be enabled on the PC version. If Bloom lighting is being used on the consoles, then that would explain the lesser-quality lighting in the actual release of Oblivion vs. that tech demo. I think that next-gen consoles need to use dedicated GPU's rather than APU's (GPU's and CPU's on the same die). That would (...should...) significantly help the consoles' ability to render PC-grade graphics.
The 360 version of Oblivion uses hdr and 2x msaa.

wit3tyg3r

Mastperf said:

Oh ok. Good to know. Well, then I will have to go back to the 360 version of Oblivion and compare it to the tech demo to see what differences are really there....it's been so long since I've played the 360 version.

wit3tyg3r said:

Yeah the lighting and shadows are nice, combined with the physics on the swinggjng chains.

Micerider

herzogzwei1989 said:
I hope my GTX 460 holds up!

It will, I don't have a link, but it seems that Todd mentioned that they were not aiming for a totally overhauled PC version compared to consoles. They would certainly put more focus in textures size and details though, but mainly to limit the gap of "quality perception" going from 720p 10 feet away from a 40" screen to 1080p (or higher) 20 inches away from a 22" screen.

So I would not expect a devouring Game on PC (now, this can only be verified in 179 days).

Dead Man

Yeah, I think my laptop will run it (just), but I have needed an excuse to upgrade to a proper PC for ages, and this is as good as anything as an excuse.

UrbanRats

elrechazao said:
Will this have the same "enemies level up with you" gameplay that oblivion has?
It's not clear, but it should be more like Fallout 3 (haven't played it, but i guess it's more hand crafted and realistic).
EDIT: ah, beaten.

Micerider said:
It will, I don't have a link, but it seems that Todd mentioned that they were not aiming for a totally overhauled PC version compared to consoles. They would certainly put more focus in textures size and details though, but mainly to limit the gap of "quality perception" going from 720p 10 feet away from a 40" screen to 1080p (or higher) 20 inches away from a 22" screen.

So I would not expect a devouring Game on PC (now, this can only be verified in 179 days).
Yeah, they're going for a "similar-looking experience across all three platforms".

wit3tyg3r

SalsaShark said:
lol, im just planning on updating to a gtx560Ti you greedy bastard :p

Micerider said:

Bue Ninja said:
Yeah, they're going for a "similar-looking experience across all three platforms".

Oh, well in that case, no upgrade necessary :p

I just recently built my desktop rig (like less than a month ago), and judging how horridly slow Oblivion ran on my 2008 MacBook Pro (running Windows 7 in dual boot through Bootcamp) on max settings, I was afraid that Skyrim wouldn't run on my GTX-570 on full settings. I was so upset when Oblivion would crash the instant I exited the prison sewers and it had to start rendering the water and environment.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Yeah the lighting and shadows are nice, combined with the physics on the swinggjng chains.

Good physics indeed. When he demonstrated that with the "Grab" button, it brought back memories of how guards would convict you of stealing when you grabbed an object that was not yours. However, in Fallout 3, the "Grab" feature didn't trigger that same response. Even though this is minor, I really hope Skyrim uses Fallout 3's approach on that. It always annoyed me when I accidentally bumped into a table hard enough to knock down a jar and in my attempt to straighten it back up, the guards would yell at me :'(

HiResDes

If you leveled right, level-scaling didn't matter much...I wish I had the video of my heavy armored Orc who when wearing a full set of enchanted armor and a bunch of accessories could survive hits from a bear for over five minutes on normal difficulty.

tu7LN.jpg

Looks stunning BTW.

Wanace

I hope there are more options for a Good/Evil approach in this game than there were in Oblivion, Morrowind, etc. It seems like there is always just one "evil" faction (usually Dark Brotherhood or Morag Tong or whatever) and that's your sole opportunity to be aligned with something dark.

For instance in Oblivion as a mage I wanted to be a necromancer, and while yes, I could wear the king of worms robes and use the staff that animated corpses and make black soul gems, as the leader of the mage's guild, I couldn't make decisions like to accept necromancy or even alter the way the guild acted in any way.

I get that you can "play" as evil by assassinating random people and stuff, I just wish that there were planned out quests with actual options for being good or evil instead of the fairly linear quest paths we got before.

Dead Man

Cryptozoologist said:
I hope there are more options for a Good/Evil approach in this game than there were in Oblivion, Morrowind, etc. It seems like there is always just one "evil" faction (usually Dark Brotherhood or Morag Tong or whatever) and that's your sole opportunity to be aligned with something dark.

For instance in Oblivion as a mage I wanted to be a necromancer, and while yes, I could wear the king of worms robes and use the staff that animated corpses and make black soul gems, as the leader of the mage's guild, I couldn't make decisions like to accept necromancy or even alter the way the guild acted in any way.

I get that you can "play" as evil by assassinating random people and stuff, I just wish that there were planned out quests with actual options for being good or evil instead of the fairly linear quest paths we got before.
While these things are always to be applauded when they are implemented, the sheer amount of work involved to get a player to change to the game world in more than 1 direction is massive. I always hope for them, but never expect them.

Wanace

Dead Man said:
While these things are always to be applauded when they are implemented, the sheer amount of work involved to get a player to change to the game world in more than 1 direction is massive. I always hope for them, but never expect them.

Yep, I will play the shit out of this game either way. Still, even just an alteration in the way a quest finishes sometimes can make a difference. Unfortunately it leads to new lines of voiced dialogue, etc. Ultimately we've progressed too far in our technology and expectations to really make a game like that financially viable or released in a timely manner. So sad. :(

Dead Man

Cryptozoologist said:
Yep, I will play the shit out of this game either way. Still, even just an alteration in the way a quest finishes sometimes can make a difference. Unfortunately it leads to new lines of voiced dialogue, etc. Ultimately we've progressed too far in our technology and expectations to really make a game like that financially viable or released in a timely manner. So sad. :(
Pretty much.

Cryptozoologist said:
That, and I'm not sure Bethesda would want their TES canon to once again be player-determined. As I recall, you could choose your own path at the ending of Daggerfall, and Bethesda resolved that in Morrowind by just having all events happen at once. I doubt they'd want to repeat that process. :p

wit3tyg3r

Log4Girlz said:
That looks so goddamn awesome...EXCEPT THE ARM WTF. What's up with arms...that Battlefield 3 trailer showed a marine with the same weird arm thing.

I'm sure the character models are still low-poly. There's still half a year until release, so things like poly-count can be easily upped in that time. They probably just used low-poly characters since they needed to announce something and needed some material for a trailer. Plus, that trailer came out a while ago, so that could already have been fixed.

That, and textures may not be final, either.

Either way, those wolves look b-e-a-utiful!

Log4Girlz

wit3tyg3r said:
I'm sure the character models are still low-poly. There's still half a year until release, so things like poly-count can be easily upped in that time. They probably just used low-poly characters since they needed to announce something and needed some material for a trailer. Plus, that trailer came out a while ago, so that could already have been fixed.

Well I think its just the skinning at that joint. I just hope they fix it.

Mastperf said:

Does it? It looks more like LDR + bloom lighting, high dynamic range lighting is pretty easy to spot like in RDR/Uncharted 1+2/Battlefield BC2.

Latest rumors are Bethesda will not be doing an on-stage presentation of Skyrim during E3, at least not during the Microsoft conference (or any of the other ones). I'm not ruling it out completely, though. We'll be shown something at E3, but if the rumors are correct, it won't be during a press briefing.

@DCDeacon Pete. Could you kindly tell me (seriously) what that curve in the Beth booth is on the E3 floor layout? I thank you sir!
@LukeIn3D You mean in the E3 show floorplans? No idea why that's on there.

@DCDeacon Will the BethSoft booth at E3 be "closed off" and "by appointment only?" I don't see why since everyone there is in the industry.
@Mankar_Camoran Yes. It's closed because it's impossible to properly show your game to 40-50K people. We try to focus our efforts.

@DCDeacon Hey, quick question. Will you guys announce E3 plans in the next couple weeks, or is it more of a low key thing?
@yanks4champs Low key, I guess? We'll be showing the games we are already talking about.

@DCDeacon OK thanks. It's just that E3 is 3 weeks away and I was wondering if we'll be seeing Skyrim or only hearing about it from the media
@yanks4champs Doesn't mean we don't look at ways of showing some of the game to a wider audience and our fans.

@DCDeacon Will we get to see the PC features of Skyrim on E3? I mean, distinctions in the interface, PC screens and stuff?
@paul_step Probably not until later.

@DCDeacon So is it true that the Skyrim section for E3 will be closed off to the public? There's no live demo?
@IplayGuitarLOL Our booth is always by appt only.

@DCDeacon When EXACTLY are Skyrim fans going to see an in-game footage (someone actually playing the game) video?
@briand932 probably E3

@DCDeacon one of your tweets said fans will get new footage of Skyrim at "probably E3". Is it still undecided, or should we expect some?
@ivandalx Always tentative to say anything definite, but chances are good for "something".
Note that he avoided the question about the live demo. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Log4Girlz said:
That looks so goddamn awesome...EXCEPT THE ARM WTF. What's up with arms...that Battlefield 3 trailer showed a marine with the same weird arm thing.

Thats how game models look like when you see them close up. Unless they make a higher res model for the player character, thats how its gonna look.

Top Bottom