• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

LCfiner said:
Ah, thanks for the correction.

So, for Skyrim, have Bethesda said how they're going to handle speechcraft abilities? the three main attributes only deal with combat and traversal considerations.

I think it's perks only for speech now. am i wrong?
There's still the Speechcraft skill, unless that's been removed.

Blue Ninja said:
Just to be clear, Bethesda's confirmed everything we've seen so far is the X360 version. :)

just look at Bethesda's history, ps3 version will be much worse unfortunately, will be 360 version for me

Dyno

Oblivion's character building system was not only derivative of Dungeons & Dragon but it was broken from beginning to end. I have no problem with them scrapping it entirely and trying something new.

Good character building systems can still be simple yet satisfying.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This sounds totally awesome.

xbox360achievements.com said:
“Some of our designers, we have a couple of them that are just in charge of what we call world interaction... or random things,” said Howard.

“This guy setup just making wolves go out in hunting packs, so we have these wolves that go out to hunt and if they kill something... we have mammoths, which you’ll see at E3, and they can hunt a mammoth and kill it, and then they’ll hang out by it for a while,” he continued.

“It’s like their kill... and then they’ll go back on their route. I mean, like honestly, something like that takes 15 minutes for our designers.”

“It’s actually something we didn’t realise people wanted... we give people bows, you give them deers, they want to hunt. We didn’t realise that initially, so we’re trying to add that. It’s a common question... we’re trying to add more.”
Source: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...yrim-Will-Have-Mammoths;-Will-Show-at-E3.html

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:

If they deliver.....OMG game of the forever!

The+Elder+Scrolls+V_+Skyrim+-+Official+Trailer_720p_H_264-AAC__4.gif

The+Elder+Scrolls+V_+Skyrim+-+Official+Trailer_720p_H_264-AAC__12.gif

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dyno said:
Oblivion's character building system was not only derivative of Dungeons & Dragon but it was broken from beginning to end. I have no problem with them scrapping it entirely and trying something new.

Good character building systems can still be simple yet satisfying.
The Elder Scrolls character system is nothing like Dungeons and Dragons. i dont see how you came to that conclusion.

RobertM

DennisK4 said:
If they deliver.....OMG game of the forever!
It's shaping up to be a GOTF from the looks of it. As long as the quest are unique and varied, I have nothing to worry about. Improved combat, graphics, ai, what more can I ask for? I spent hundreds of hours in Oblivion trying to complete every single quest...I just worry that this game will kill my GPA, fuck. My buttocks are ready.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I remember being on a gamespot forum like... 5 years ago, talking about video games and what I wanted to see in games. I remember saying things like "I want to see games that don't require you to complete missions in a particular way - games that let you find your own way" "I want environments that are completely destructible! I want to be able to take shortcuts through walls" - now we see a lot of games that do these things, it just seemed like the natural path to follow.

But MOST importantly, what I always wanted was a word that was 'alive'. I know that's a buzz word that gets thrown around a lot, but I remember wondering how hard it would be to create characters that had life plans. Like maybe a man who is slowly building a house - you could watch him buy his wood, get his supplies, go home to his family or whatever. Maybe if one of his relatives dies, you'll see him grieve. And the economy to be directly effecting by things like... me blowing up a store.

I wanted to see raids happening for no reason, bandits attacking and me there to save a town, maybe a dragon knocks over a building and the next day people are trying to rebuild. I was younger then, and I wanted a lot, but I was still very satisfied with what I had. I never thought we'd even get close to what I was talking about - and the more games that come out, the more I realize how close we are. My dream will one day be realized, and Skyrim will really be pushing the envelope.

Ken Masters said:
just look at Bethesda's history, ps3 version will be much worse unfortunately, will be 360 version for me

what are you talking about, ps3 Oblivion was better than 360. and i dunno about F3 on 360, but my ps3 version was great, didn't have any problems.

This..looks....FANTASTIC. I played the crap out of Morrowind and Oblivion. Seeing the new Khajiit model makes me hope that they really do something as good for the Argonians. My favorite was my spear-wielding Argonian.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nirolak said:

Hopefully the do something with the game (wildlife) in regards to hunting (as in giving it a purpose). Playing Nehrim I loved the fact that I could hunt and use parts of the animal in my alchemy or sell them off. Also training (reading books) would allow me to be better at hunting and be able to extract more exotic parts off the animal. So I'm hoping they don't half ass the hunting aspect as a fun diversion.

bigboss370 said:
what are you talking about, ps3 Oblivion was better than 360. and i dunno about F3 on 360, but my ps3 version was great, didn't have any problems.

Aside from the broken Vampire Cure quest. Which I didn't realize had been bugged until I wanted to cure myself. You basically stay a vampire for the whole game. Fortunately vampirism is easy to avoid with some cure disease potions on hand.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Hype levels climbing rapidly. Hopefully they're not overselling everything.

I really like what I'm hearing about the dragons, especially them speaking. Not that they need to be chatterboxes but I kind of thought that would cool all along.

a Master Ninja said:
I was about to downplay the improvements to the visuals and art direction, but this post put me in my place.
It takes one Ninja to shut another Ninja up, it seems. :lol

That bit about the hunting wolves and mammoths sounds so awesome. Truly does sound like a 'game of the forever'.

AppleBlade

a Master Ninja said:
I was about to downplay the improvements to the visuals and art direction, but this post put me in my place.
Yeah, never downplay advancements in visuals until you go back and take a look at the older game that you're comparing it to. Our memories do funny things to the graphics in old games.

Apath

Ranger X said:
Well, Oblivion is better on PS3. Faster, less loading, etc.
Not that what he said was true, but that's only because it came out a bit later. Wasn't it about a year or so later?

Kenak said:
Not that what he said was true, but that's only because it came out a bit later. Wasn't it about a year or so later?
Almost exactly a year later, yes.

And, because I was bored, here's some more comparisons. Some of these are older shots, but all should be pre-release screenshots Bethesda released for Oblivion and Skyrim.

txsbG.jpg

0ExAR.jpg

6HXdq.jpg

3IhKD.jpg

(This one includes Shivering Isles, in case you didn't realize.)

And because I was really bored:
WcSid.jpg

(I only used the numbered TES chapters, and not Battlespire and Redguard.)

Another Voice power's been confirmed: like the Dragons, you'll be able to breathe fire. Not sure what the difference with a regular fire spell will be, though.

A few people at the Skyrim forums with way too much time on their hands apparently discovered some 'strange' thumbnail images hidden in the Skyrim website, as well.

XfV9L.png

DkPwz.png

Cvo0M.png

Uka3j.png

They're all concept art, it seems. One of them appears to be a giant, but the others are not so clear.

Truant

I don't give a shit about any of this info. I'm just glad the gameworld has shadows this time around. Finally I can relax.

verbum

coldvein said:
deer hunting, eh?
Maybe fishing too! Cabela for Wizards. : )

I just thought of something, what was that game where you had to fish in a certain spot and catch a fish in order to proceed in the game. Someone made a funny video of it a year or two ago.

Dead Man

Zeliard said:
It does but that's also the type of stuff Beth likes to say only for it not to show up with the real game, Molyneux-style.

When it comes to any sort of unscripted game elements I have to take Beth with a grain of salt until I experience it for myself. That includes the dragons, too. :p
What do you mean? Bethesda are awesome at unscripted game elements. Sure, most people call them glitches, but they are certainly unscripted.

Kinitari said:
But MOST importantly, what I always wanted was a word that was 'alive'. I know that's a buzz word that gets thrown around a lot, but I remember wondering how hard it would be to create characters that had life plans. Like maybe a man who is slowly building a house - you could watch him buy his wood, get his supplies, go home to his family or whatever. Maybe if one of his relatives dies, you'll see him grieve. And the economy to be directly effecting by things like... me blowing up a store..
I'm going to go with the obvious problem with implementing this kind of stuff, that maybe people seem to forget or not realize... days in video games don't actually pass in real time, and even going at their super accelerated speed you probably barely get through a few weeks or month of in-game time before finishing and only few days real-time. If a guy is going and buying wood to build a house in real-time, he wouldn't even be able to gather enough wood by the time you saved the entire world. If the game had some arbitrary reason to accelerate time (time travel, coma, etc) or simply fast-forwarded through time non-interactively during cut-scenes it could work kind of but that's a whole other issue of losing immersion.

Dead Man

Houston3000 said:
I'm going to go with the obvious problem with implementing this kind of stuff, that maybe people seem to forget or not realize... days in video games don't actually pass in real time, and even going at their super accelerated speed you probably barely get through a few weeks or month of in-game time before finishing and only few days real-time. If a guy is going and buying wood to build a house in real-time, he wouldn't even be able to gather enough wood by the time you saved the entire world. If the game had some arbitrary reason to accelerate time (time travel, coma, etc) or simply fast-forwarded through time non-interactively during cut-scenes it could work kind of but that's a whole other issue of losing immersion.
Meh. Non-synchronous time cycles have been in games before and people seem to be okay with them when they occur. As long as it feels like enough game time has passed I don't think too many people quibble over the details.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I don't know if this is weird, but I kinda wish the TES games didn't have main quests. I understand the reason, but I feel like the world would be better served if there was no end-goal. I understand that saving the world makes dicks hard, but honestly my favorite part of Morrowind was finding myself in some strange place after walking for a while and saving slaves because I felt like it was a good thing to do. The main quest was something I mostly ignored, but the world is still molded around you doing it.

benzy

a Master Ninja said:

How could you forget the ugliness that's in the beginning of Oblivion?

269677-oblivion_emp_super.jpg

UrbanRats

Zeliard said:
It does but that's also the type of stuff Beth likes to say only for it not to show up with the real game, Molyneux-style.

When it comes to any sort of unscripted game elements I have to take Beth with a grain of salt until I experience it for myself. That includes the dragons, too. :p
Same here.
although it WOULD be awesome, if true. ;)

Zeliard

UrbanRats said:
Same here.
although it WOULD be awesome, if true. ;)

I want to believe.

Dead Man said:
What do you mean? Bethesda are awesome at unscripted game elements. Sure, most people call them glitches, but they are certainly unscripted.

Let's hope the reworked engine clears some of the muck up.

Linconan

Ken Masters said:

By my memory of owning both games on both systems in the past,
Ps3 was better for both games.

Yes Oblivion came out a year later after 360, but regardless.
It was better.

Now Fallout came out at the same time frame and it was graphically better than the 360, as i was one to keep flicking between the two for my own curiosity.
Ps3 was better, again.

Plus the 360 version, HAD to have an update to improve to graphics and make them nearly on par.
A simple google check for my claims, plus there's tons of others.
For the people who don't remember, or seem to forget.
http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/articles/news/586/Xbox-360-FO3-patch-improves-graphics

So, Bethesda's history is fine by me, and by my experience with their past games,...
"360 version will be much worse unfortunately, will be Ps3 version for me"

:p
ps. the last bit was a fixed quotation of your post.
But i'll have to get the Ps3 version anyway since i've gotten rid of my 360 for a while now.
But, it wont matter what system people get it on, as it'll be great regardless.

jett

D-Member
This game should be played on PC anyway. How can you people deal without instant quicksave and quickload.

Aguirre

Ratrat said:
those gifs look a billion times better than anything in Oblivion.

I'm glad they have seemingly got rid of that horrible ice-skating animation effect when running about in third-person perspective.

Concept17

Beyond the obvious improvements, what has my attention is the viking-esque design of both the environments and characters. Really really like the setting.

Top Bottom