• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: New Screenshots (Races)

Bentendo

I think I'm going to go with a magic user this time around. Usually in RPGs I choose the power house warrior but I'm looking for something a bit different.

GhaleonEB

Simo said:
Screens look awesome!

I take it these are all each respective media outlet's characters they created during their time with the demo at Quakecon?
Correct, which likely explains why the Orc looks like a doofus.

arena08

can't unsee.

3KxBL.jpg

bengraven

I just hate how fucking dull everything looks. Mostly the gear and the weapons.

Put some shiny on those weapons!

Put some bump mapping on that gear! It's painfully obvious that metal stud is 2D, what is this 2003?

RooMHM

Wierd how this game feels like it's beautiful in videos but is amazingly dull and shows shit texture work in stills /:

Highlaw

Banned
bengraven said:
I just hate how fucking dull everything looks. Mostly the gear and the weapons.

Put some shiny on those weapons!

Put some bump mapping on that gear! It's painfully obvious that metal stud is 2D, what is this 2003?
You like weapons looking like lubricated condoms?
You have to consider that most of these screens are in dark places, not sunny days

Which metal stud btw?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ah, the Argonians have got to be the most improved race by far. But then that's not hard considering how ludicrously awful they've looked until now!

I also actually like the look of the Dark Elf though; it's a cool take on the archetype.

Will certainly play Argonian on my first playthrough - if only so I can dick around in the water all I like, ha ha.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i wish there was a dog-like race like the khajit but still probably gonna go with them

never played an elder scrolls game but i always roll half-elf in cRPGs. maybe try something different this time

Tanolen

thefil said:
I'm continually amazed by what people can find visually unappealing. I think these look amazing. *goes back to playing Morrowind with no graphics mods*

Woah now, I don't think I can play without the graphics extender, and maybe the animated grass mod

GhaleonEB

I'm digging the different environments they're setting each character screen in. Every one that rolls out I think, yeah, I'd like to go exploring there.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm digging the different environments they're setting each character screen in. Every one that rolls out I think, yeah, I'd like to go exploring there.

Yeah I noticed that too, all they need is a pic of dark elf inside a volcano with magma everywhere to totally sell it to me.

Qwomo

For the first time I want to play as a Khajiit or Bosmer. Hated them in the previous games, but dayum. Still don't like Argonians, but they look fine I guess.

Also I hope the screenshot of the orc they posted earlier is still viable in character creation; I prefer that old look to the "more human-y" one in the OP.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't know why but some of the characters look really bad to me, texture wise. Not the resolution, that's a given, I mean the art. I don't know. Too much contrast/sharpness and too many things that should be done with geometry or at least bumps/normals are just textured in flatly? Something. Some environments are great though.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think the Orc race looks teeerrible (bad idea, worse execution), but the other races have seen a definite upgrade.

Still the weak point of the series though, by far.

Highlaw

Banned
Alextended said:
I don't know why but some of the characters look really bad to me, texture wise. Not the resolution, that's a given, I mean the art. I don't know. Too much contrast/sharpness and too many things that should be done with geometry or at least bumps/normals are just textured in flatly? Something. Some environments are great though.
They are all 360 screenshots, worry not.

i've been replaying oblivion on 360. anyone who thinks this doesn't look like a marked improvement over that game should probably go back and check out just how much its aged.

Kikarian

I'm being Wood Elf.
As I'm going to be a thief, and they 'fit' in well. Especially when the Dark brotherhood is in it. AGAIN!

Concept17

So is this ALL of the races? Or are we still missing some?

I'm leaning towards Ork. I refuse to play plain ass humans any more. Also that last wood-elf looks...half ork? What is that?

Drazgul

Blue Ninja said:
There's ten races already. The lore doesn't allow for any new ones, and I'm glad.

Plus the five akaviri races (beast races all of them IIRC), and daedra & aedra if you want to count them. As well as the many now-extinct races if you wanna really start nitpicking. :p

Emitan

Drazgul said:
Plus the five akaviri races (beast races all of them IIRC), and daedra & aedra if you want to count them. As well as the many now-extinct races if you wanna really start nitpicking. :p
Who?

thefil

Drazgul said:

I want to play Dwemer.

thefil

Billychu said:

Found this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Akaviri

UESPWiki said:
The continent of Akavir, also known as "Dragon Land", is a landmass east of Tamriel. The two continents have a history of animosity towards each other, with Akavir invading Tamriel several times in the past and Tamriel invading Akavir at least once.[1] Much of what is known about it in Tamriel is acknowledged to be incomplete or inaccurate.[2]

UESPWiki said:
Kamal is translated as "Snow Hell", and many armies of demons call it their home. Every summer they thaw out and attempt to invade Tang Mo, but are always driven back by the courageous monkey-folk who live there. Once Ada'Soom Dir-Kamal, a king among the demons, tried to invade and conquer Morrowind, but was destroyed by Almalexia and the Underking at Red Mountain.[3][4]

Tsaesci is translated as "Snake Palace", and was once the strongest kingdom in Akavir. It is home to the Vampire Snake people who ate the men of Akavir long ago. They are described as beautiful, with golden scales, a human upper body and a snake like lower body. The goblin tribes of Akavir are their source of food and labor. Potentate Versidue-Shaie was a Tsaesci who ruled Tamriel in the previous era for 400 years before being assassinated by the Morag Tong.[3]

Tang Mo is translated as "The Thousand Monkey Isles". It is inhabited by many breeds of monkeys who are described as kind and brave. The other nations of Akavir have tried to enslave them at some point, but the monkeys can make armies if they must. They are apparently allies of the tiger people of Ka Po' Tun.[3]

Ka Po' Tun is translated as the "Tiger-Dragon Empire". The inhabitants are a cat-like people and are ruled by the great ruler Tosh Raka, a tiger dragon. They are the greatest empire in Akavir, but are not skilled at fighting at sea. After the Serpent people ate the men, they tried to eat the dragons. They managed to make the red dragons slaves, but the black dragons fled to Po Tun. A great battle was fought, and it left both the cats and the snakes weak, and the dragons extinct. Since then, the cats have always tried to become dragons. Tosh Raka is the first and only so far to have accomplished this. Covered in orange and black scales, he is the largest dragon on Nirn, and it's believed that his eventual goal is to invade Tamriel.[3]

Emitan

Other lands are known to exist, though they have never been seen in games. They include:
Akavir, an often hostile continent to the east of Tamriel.
Aldmeris, a fabled continent from which the Aldmer came to Tamriel.
Atmora, a frigid continent to the north, home to the ancestors of the Nords.
Cathnoquey, a region of land that lies between Tamriel and Akavir.
Esroniet, a small island kingdom that lies between Tamriel and Akavir.
Pyandonea, a continent to the far southwest of Tamriel, home to the Maormer.
Roscrea, a region of land that lies between Tamriel and Atmora.
Thras, an archipelago to the southwest of Tamriel, home of the Sload.
Yneslea, a region of land that lies between Tamriel and Akavir.
Yokuda, a ruined collection of islands blasted by a cataclysm to the west of Tamriel, original home of the Redguards.
Why have I never heard of all these continents until now? Is there a world map?

Billychu said:
There's the Ka'Po'Tun, tiger people whose leader, Tosh Raka, succeeded in becoming the first dragon. There was a bit of speculation that the dragon invasion would be an Akaviri invasion, even, but that was debunked when it was revealed Alduin was the big bad.

There's the Tsaeci, the snake people, who had once come to Tamriel. A few of them even governed the Empire at the start of the second age.

The Tsaeci are apparently vampiric, and they feed on the many goblin tribes in Akavir.

Then there's the Tang Mo, who are basically just a bunch of monkeys.

There's also the snow demons of Kamal, but there's not a lot of information on them, except that they once tried to invade Morrowind, but were pushed back.

Oh, right, there's also the Sloads of Thras.

CXgvN.jpg

They're not Akaviri, though. They once sent a great plague to Tamriel, that nearly wiped out the entire continent.

While I remembered some of that, I did have to go to the UESP to look it up. :lol The Imperial Library's even better, but I find that site hard to navigate sometimes.

Billychu said:
Why have I never heard of all these continents until now? Is there a world map?
Some have been referenced in the games, others haven't. Only Akavir has had a real influence on recent Tamrielic culture: the Blades in Oblivion wore Akaviri-made armor and weapons, for instance.

GcsGY.jpg

This is the only map that shows some places outside of Tamriel.

X26

Banned
wood elves went from wimps to total badasses, I approve

edit: actually think I got wood elf mixed up with high elf, those are the ones who've looked weak the last games

Top Bottom