• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim on PS3: The Last Stand / Update: Digital Foundry investigates

so instead of people bitching about the ps3's ram configuration can someone please just answer if this patch makes skyrim playable? Got people waiting to try the ps3 version.

But I must say Bethesda have been doing a great job on the PC with performance improving patches.

Its just a shame they releases such a broken, unpolished game. most of the stuff they have been patching has been relativity simply optimization that should have been made when the game was still deep in development and stuff that user created mods like SkyBoost fixed before a official patch was made.

I guess the performance increasing stuff that showed up on PC is making its way to consoles in this latest patch plus some console specific things

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Honestly, I'm both impressed and pissed of by this patch. I'm impressed because it seems that it fixed this game breaking bug and at the same time I'm pissed that it took almost two months before this was patched. This patch should've been a day one patch, not a month two one. But I guess I should be thanking the heavens that Bethesda actaully fixed it.

They probably submitted it ages ago but some people over at Sony had to start their game again and see if it was laggy too now. :p

PC patches = Just release the damn things

Console patches = Have to jump through all kind of hoops/heaps of delays till release.

Still, that said, great news that the PS3 owners can play it, well, the ones that have suitable internet. How big is the file?

Speevy

Banned
Not to agree with the jokers whining about the PS3's memory structure, but this game runs on Intel HD Graphics 3000 and an i3 processor.

Jonm1010

Banned
so instead of people bitching about the ps3's ram configuration can someone please just answer if this patch makes skyrim playable? Got people waiting to try the ps3 version.

But I must say Bethesda have been doing a great job on the PC with performance improving patches.

Its just a shame they releases such a broken, unpolished game. most of the stuff they have been patching has been relativity simply optimization that should have been made when the game was still deep in development and stuff that user created mods like SkyBoost fixed before a official patch was made.

I guess the performance increasing stuff that showed up on PC is making its way to consoles in this latest patch plus some console specific things

kinda makes me wish that developers would go back to the time where release dates were more fluid.

It used to be if a big budget game wasnt ready they delayed it a few months. Today, the date is set in stone and if that means it gets released half way broken and full of glitches, so be it.

RyanDG

Dammit...

Just updated to the new patch. Decided to try to play with my old save. My old save file is not being recognized in the file menu under Load in the menus. The game only recognizes an auto-save from a new character that I tried out right before the last patch DESPITE having 3 separate game saves for my new character.

I go to Saved Data utility on the PS3 - I can *SEE* the save with the proper file size and the proper levels, but I can't get the game to *SEE* it.

Guess it's time to delete some items in my cloud storage to see if I can retrieve it from there. Anyone else have a save file over 16 mb having this problem?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34998409&postcount=82

Sounding alright so far.

Dammit...

Just updated to the new patch. Decided to try to play with my old save. My old save file is not being recognized in the file menu under Load in the menus. The game only recognizes an auto-save from a new character that I tried out right before the last patch DESPITE having 3 separate game saves for my new character.

I go to Saved Data utility on the PS3 - I can *SEE* the save with the proper file size and the proper levels, but I can't get the game to *SEE* it.

Guess it's time to delete some items in my cloud storage to see if I can retrieve it from there. Anyone else have a save file over 16 mb having this problem?

i guess you should have done this first? (unless you did)

The 1.4 patch for Skyrim includes many performance-enhancing updates for the PlayStation 3. A few important things to note:

1. To ensure the fastest jump in performance after applying the patch, be sure to first create a new manual save by entering the save menu and choosing “save game.” You should then restart your PlayStation 3 before continuing to play.

2. If you encounter strange behavior while playing immediately following application of the patch, do not be alarmed – this is a temporary effect of Skyrim scripts correcting themselves after the update. Once this process runs its course, be sure to make a new save and restart your PlayStation 3

Pranay

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=51805~0~812581&p=1

the 2nd cheapest desktop that dell sells is under $400 and comes with an intel g630 and 4gb ddr3... and thats not even on sale or anything.. just add a $30 PSU and $80 radeon 5770 and you can play ANY game out right now.. it wont be 1920x1200 with 8x FSAA and all setting maxed but it will look nicer than a ps3/360

Not Worth it and i wont recommend to anyone either.

Cause someone buying it now, will have to upgrade it soon.

I think I am going to pick the game up again on PS3 and give it another go. I bought it on launch for the PS3 and traded it in when I heard about all the issues. Only played for a couple hours too. I have been telling myself..."It's not my kind of game...don't bother." But to be honest I think I have been really missing out on something great. Gonna buy it first thing tomorrow actually.

Edit: But maybe I should wait a day or two and see if things are really fixed up.

RyanDG

I'm glad the patch is working well for some people. Between the game not recognizing my save file and now having two hard lock ups in a row in the 'prisoner' sequence, I think I'm done. I got 70 ish hours out of the game, which is not bad this generation, but I'm still disappointed because there was so much that I didn't have a chance to do. It's weird to complain about getting 70 hours out of a game, but I still don't feel satisfied with my purchase because of the bad taste that it has left in my mouth. Hope everyone else has better luck than me. I was originally saying I wasn't going to purchase another Bethesda title on the PS3 but I think I've decided to extend that to all Bethesda games in general right now.

Blah.

paparazzo

I'm glad the patch is working well for some people. Between the game not recognizing my save file and now having two hard lock ups in a row in the 'prisoner' sequence, I think I'm done. I got 70 ish hours out of the game, which is not bad this generation, but I'm still disappointed because there was so much that I didn't have a chance to do. It's weird to complain about getting 70 hours out of a game, but I still don't feel satisfied with my purchase because of the bad taste that it has left in my mouth. Hope everyone else has better luck than me. I was originally saying I wasn't going to purchase another Bethesda title on the PS3 but I think I've decided to extend that to all Bethesda games in general right now.

Blah.

Did you try copying the saves to a USB drive, deleting them from your PS3, then restoring back to the PS3? I believe someone in the last thread had the same problem and said doing those things fixed his saves.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454241

Found the post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34803093&postcount=1817

NBtoaster

Blah.

Could try deleting the gamedata and reinstalling and redownloading the patches.

RyanDG

Did you try copying the saves to a USB drive, deleting them from your PS3, then restoring back to the PS3? I believe someone in the last thread had the same problem and said doing those things fixed his saves.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454241

Could try deleting the gamedata and reinstalling and redownloading the patches.

I'll probably give both of these a shot later on. It has just completely killed any motivation I had to try to get back into Skyrim at this point.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well its out for the US now. Seems to be a bit faster, but could just be me thinking it is. The map seems to be smoother when moving it around.

My save wieghs 15 mbs and I have over 160 hours clocked in in Skyrim. Here are my experiences pre and post patch:

Pre-patch: Lag would kick in after 20 or 30 minutes depending on what I was doing. The framerate would also get choppy whenever I entered Windhelm because of the heavy snowfall (same thing happened in mountain regions). Horse riding and dragon fighting would also make the lag kick in.

Post patch: played over an hour and a half and so far 99% of the lag is gone. There is the occasional stutter here and there but the difference is night and day, basically. To test how well this patch holds up I did the following things:
1. Rode from Downstar Sanctuary all the way to Morthal. No lag with a bit of stutter when I uncovered a new dungeon.
2. Fought dragons. No lag.
3. Fast traveled to and ran around Whiterun and Solitude. Before the patch these two towns were the most laggy for me and where the game would basically turn into a slideshow. Now, there's a bit of lag when I enter the city and the game stutters at times when I'm running around Whiterun. It's not perfect but it is a tremendous improvement.

Honestly, I'm both impressed and pissed of by this patch. I'm impressed because it seems that it fixed this game breaking bug and at the same time I'm pissed that it took almost two months before this was patched. This patch should've been a day one patch, not a month two one. But I guess I should be thanking the heavens that Bethesda actaully fixed it.

adding to OP (^___^)

barrin87

Hopefully this patch actually fixes Skyrim for the PS3. Bethesda clearly didn't work nearly as much on the PS3 version as they did on the other platforms which is just bad business.

I already have the platinum on the game so I won't be putting the game back in until there is an expansion for the game.

Some people seemed to just have worse luck with this game though. I was able to play for the 130 hours that it took me to get all the trophies and I never had any extremely major issues. I had a couple backwards flying dragons(which were sort of entertaining) and slow down. I found that it really helped if I restarted the game every couple of hours to help with slow down. There were a couple of parts where there was so much action going on screen that the screen would only move every ten seconds though which got extremely frustrating.

RPGCrazied

So its finally fixed? Did the patch degrade the image quality? Did it introduce screen tearing? Worse textures? Anything?

Drewsky

I played for a little bit earlier. It seems to have helped a little, framerate is still no where near perfect but I think it's better. No change in graphics quality that I could see.

I guess this is as good a thread to ask this: PS3 owner here who's stuck with a quest item (Glensomething witch's head) that I'm supposed to give to some dude who's now dead in the game. Is there any way to open the command console or just get rid of it or quit a quest in the PS3 version?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just applied the patch and made a new save. Is the file size supposed to drastically decrease? Mine only decreased by 300 KB.

Edit: I've given up on this game. I don't think I can get a platinum with this save. My Rescue from Fort Neugrad quest is borked and I don't think it is possible to fix it.

hamchan

I can walk through Whiterun and Markath without it being shit!

Had a 2 hour session and no lag, so that's an improvement.

I can walk through Whiterun and Markath without it being shit!

Had a 2 hour session and no lag, so that's an improvement.

Awesome

Yeah, gonna need more longterm impressions before high-fives all around

wonder if Digital Foundry is gonna throw up a follow-up analysis lol

Hayeya

Banned
So does this mean we wont be seeing the thread "PS3 Skyrim is still shit" at the first page again ? i love the title of the thread :)

Why did they fix it why ???? i was happy that it was a shit game because i had no time for it, (playing Demon's Souls, and ICO, and finishing Castlevania LOS), but now since it seems to be fixed i dont know how to create time for it, damn you Bethesda

Massa

Awesome

Yeah, gonna need more longterm impressions before high-fives all around

wonder if Digital Foundry is gonna throw up a follow-up analysis lol

They tweeted about the patch coming out the minute it was released and mentioned they were going to test it and work on a follow-up article.

I think the problem is it's a huge pain having to develop with the split memory, and is very restricting on what devs can do while on the xbox they can use the 512 however they want. No matter how you look at it, it was an utterly stupid decision to split the memory on the PS3.

You completely missed my point, didn't you? Split memory is NOT new. The oXbox had it, the PS2 had it and your modern PC has it. Saying it was an utterly stupid decision to split the memory when that's been the standard design for decades is completely absurd. It's Microsoft that came up with the decision out of the left field, not Sony, and it's worked surprisingly well for them.

Anyway, it's nice to hear that there've been some real improvements made. I'll have to check it out at some point.

Putty

115hrs in, my 9.0 meg save file dropped to 8.2 meg. I never had any real problems that most of you with bigger save files but mine had just started to degrade. Now though, after an hour of playing, it feels really fluent, very minimal hiccups, feels more responsive and the framerate defo feels more consistent. "looks" like this could be the patch of all patches!

Number45

They tweeted about the patch coming out the minute it was released and mentioned they were going to test it and work on a follow-up article.
Nice, glad to hear this.

Also glad that it looks like people might finally be able to play the game that they paid good money for. Still on the fence myself as to waiting for the GOTY, awaiting DLC announcements.

Ravidrath

Really glad to see that the patch seems to be working - I'm still waiting for the GotY edition with all the DLC, but it's good to know that I should be able to enjoy that.

Hopefully this patch actually fixes Skyrim for the PS3. Bethesda clearly didn't work nearly as much on the PS3 version as they did on the other platforms which is just bad business.

Actually, they probably worked on it just as much. And that's the problem: the PS3 is harder to develop for, so the same amount of time doesn't yield the same results.

El-Suave

I'm happy to hear these first impressions. So I will get the game again on PS3 soon, but right now I've just started Amalur and the Vita expenses block any other purchases for the immediate future.

Still, I'll thank them for fixing this. This is a litte consolation among all the shady stuff concerning this game's release.

Erasus

It got fairly laggy starting around 85-ish hours, but I'm FAR more tolerating than the average gamer when it comes graphical stuff like this. It was frustrating but playable. Just hit unplayable to me yesterday, fast travel to Whiterun and it took me like five minutes to get to the Inn.

Even I draw the line there.

Do you like to eat shitty food too because you are "tolerant"lol

Good to hear the patch improved the performance at least somewhat. If only my copy of Skyrim wasn't stuck in my 60 Gb ps3 with YLOD...

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Awesome. Now I can put another 100+ hours into Skyrim, only because I accidentally overwrote my 100+ hour file :p

Definitely looking forward to playing again

Top Bottom