• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim on PS3: The Last Stand / Update: Digital Foundry investigates

Good news, good news. I hope things sail smoothly and I can tie up my lose ends in game at the weekend. If everything is A-OK, I'm back on the DLC-train.

Jaeyden

I really encourage people to wait and see on this =/

Like wait for at least the Digital Foundry analysis to drop

I'm taking this advice. Four pages of people crying "Yay!" and really only two or three of these posts are actual feedback from people who updated and have started playing. Time will only tell....

kaioshade

I am very hopeful. I would like to get the ps3 version (as my gf only has a ps3, and would be borrowing the game), but will wait and see how DF reports on this. From early reports, i am cautiously optimistic.

barrin87

Really glad to see that the patch seems to be working - I'm still waiting for the GotY edition with all the DLC, but it's good to know that I should be able to enjoy that.

Actually, they probably worked on it just as much. And that's the problem: the PS3 is harder to develop for, so the same amount of time doesn't yield the same results.

True, the PS3 isn't that similar to develop on compared to the 360 and PS3. I still don't find that acceptable when the PS3 has been out for over 5 years though and this is isn't the first game Bethesda has created on the PS3.

Last update probably since it appears it's completely fixed.

I'm still going in the same play session(Up to 6 almost 7 hours in a row), finished restoring the Thieves Guild(A LOT of fast travel) and now working on the last Daedric Artifact quests.

My final verdict is people can finally enjoy Skyrim on the PS3 without worry.

Really curious at what they did

Maybe resetting/purging item placement/world continuity alot more often?

Notice if shit is dissapearing more often? lol

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I'm still going in the same play session(Up to 6 almost 7 hours in a row), finished restoring the Thieves Guild(A LOT of fast travel) and now working on the last Daedric Artifact quests.

And tears of joy ran down my face

This game should have been delayed until they got the PS3 version in working order, this is absolutely ridiculous and the fact that so many people give Bethesda a free pass over this is saddening. I play the PC version but this whole situation is so bad. I guarantee you if this game was made by EA people would be up in arms (at least much more so than currently) over this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really curious at what they did

Maybe resetting/purging item placement/world continuity alot more often?
My understanding is they tracked every stupid thing ever done, they could have just added some priority system in place to solve the issue easily. I.e. priority 1: You kill someone, he stays killed .... Priority 10: A little rock you kicked has moved from it's original location. Items with priority 10 would be memorized for 5 minutes or so, then reset/purged. Items with priority 1 memorized forever.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
So it's really fixed now? I have to admit I never expected Bethesda to do it, maybe I can actually buy the game now. Would have bought it at launch but there's no way I was going to pay full price for a completely broken game - at least now it should be a lot cheaper.

That's awesome, I'm glad to hear it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Awesome news that the PS3 version is finally fixed.

Just started Kingdoms of Amalur, and im also playing Dark Souls, and have Jak and Daxter Collection still unopened. Im gonna wait for a while before jumping in, but im definitely going to now.

Con_Smith

Banned
Does this fix the claw puzzles not moving when you activate them? Really made me quit playing when I got stuck in the dungeon for the bards quest.

hamchan

This game should have been delayed until they got the PS3 version in working order, this is absolutely ridiculous and the fact that so many people give Bethesda a free pass over this is saddening. I play the PC version but this whole situation is so bad. I guarantee you if this game was made by EA people would be up in arms (at least much more so than currently) over this.
We didn't give them a pass. We made a big stink about it and now we have a fix (apparently). If people didn't speak up Bethesda probably would have done nothing, like the last few broken games they've released on PS3 before Skyrim.

We didn't give them a pass. We made a big stink about it and now we have a fix (apparently). If people didn't speak up Bethesda probably would have done nothing, like the last few broken games they've released on PS3 before Skyrim.

Given how wide spread and game breaking the problem was the situation definitely wasn't as kept in the public sphere of attention long enough. There was one week where it appeared a few times on popular blogs but beyond that it didn't get the attention I believe it should have. As you said, Bethesda has a history of releasing especially badly programmed games on the PS3 (of course they're badly programmed on the other systems, just to a lesser extent).

Just updated now, don't have to time play it any further - just to make a new save, but when I loaded my old save, I immediately got quest notifications, so some of my bugged quests can now continue at least :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh god... I just strolled into Riverwood, at night... bored. I cast fury on a lone chicken and it turns hostile. Runs up to me to attack, but doesn't do any damage. Message pops up that I have a 5 gold bounty. Then the town dog runs over and kills the chicken. Message pops up that the last witness has been killed and my bounty removed.

Huh. Weird. But kind of funny.

I walk into the Inn. As I enter, someone says "did you hear that?" and suddenly everyone attacks me. I don't know what to do, so I take my death quickly, without any resistance. I was kinda hoping they'd fall back since I didn't have any weapons drawn. But they killed me. Because I cast fury on a chicken. Even though there weren't any witnesses that survived.

Anyway... game loads and I'm in the Inn again... "Did you hear that?" Yup. Autosave before the beat down.

And of course like an asshole I didn't save the game before entering Riverwood. So like two hours of dicking around in the wilderness and leveling got totally wiped out.

*sigh*

Otherwise the game is running pretty well. This is a new character though, and I haven't made it to Whiterun yet. So jury is still out.

I happened to have my last save in Riften, pre-patch. I noticed almost immediately that the frame rate seemed smoother.

However, since I've been running the 360 version the past several weeks, the PS3 version has this really bad white-wash look to it. The black tones, textures, and overall look of the game appears much 'hazier' than the 360 build. Not a dealbreaker by any means (I ain't a huge graphics guy in the first place) but it was kind of noticeable.

I happened to have my last save in Riften, pre-patch. I noticed almost immediately that the frame rate seemed smoother.

However, since I've been running the 360 version the past several weeks, the PS3 version has this really bad white-wash look to it. The black tones, textures, and overall look of the game appears much 'hazier' than the 360 build. Not a dealbreaker by any means (I ain't a huge graphics guy in the first place) but it was kind of noticeable.

Isn't that usually the case with multiplat releases on the PS3? I remember the same was true for Oblivion.

Isn't that usually the case with multiplat releases on the PS3? I remember the same was true for Oblivion.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess I only noticed it because of how noticeable it was. Kind of a non-event though. Anyway, game does run smoother post-1.4. Here's hoping it stays that way.

So they finally fixed it? Should have been day one but now it's ok to purchase this game on PS3 based on impressions.

I still find the controls and gameplay to be mediocre at best though.

Nizz

So it's good news finally for PS3 owners it seems. A shame the problem existed in the first place. If Digital Foundry revisits the game and it's smooth sailing I'll be glad to pick it up in the future to see what all the hype is about.

Couldn't stop hearing about this game a couple of months ago. :)

jonabbey

That's due to the gamma curve being different between the 360 and PS3. The PS3 actually has a more accurate gamma curve than 360 has, but the 360's piece-wise linear approximation to the standard gamma curve does make games look more contrast-y and appealing, if less realistic.

Foxix Von

I was actually going to try out the ps3 version for this very reason. I tried playing the 360 version but every time I entered a cave or something the black levels looked so crushed and dark that I couldn't make out my surroundings.

I was actually going to try out the ps3 version for this very reason. I tried playing the 360 version but every time I entered a cave or something the black levels looked so crushed and dark that I couldn't make out my surroundings.

Yeah, 360 version has some fucking NASTY black crush

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Hey guys, the Digital Foundry article will be up tomorrow morning (GMT), if you wanted a closer look at the patch differences. :)

DemonNite

played for about an hour today at work today and overall it seems to be an improvement. However, I do find that saving takes a bit longer (minor freezes) but that's not an issue.

Might be only a devkit issue so I'll test it at home over the weekend

Even the PC version was short changed from what it could be, remember it was only recently that they actually released the patch that accounted for the fact Bethesda didn't even compile the optimization flags on the PC build at release and also just released the higher res texture pack, both things should have been there day one also. That 11-11-11 release date really cut corners.

Building a game with the black crush of the inaccurate 360's gamma while the PS3 has an accurate gamma doesn't always transition well during multiplatform. It's nothing that proper calibration doesn't handle well. The 360 gamma still really skewed my home theater set-up with it's instense black crush.

I have a Pioneer Kuro, so having rich colors and the blackest of blacks is all good for me as most people's LCD look washed out to begin with in comparison, that 360 gamma initial output on it was too much. You can sort of emulate the intense black crush it if you set RGB to Full instead of limited if you tv doesn't support Full on the PS3.

hamchan

So I'm satisfied enough with the performance increase to turn my autosave back on and see how it goes. This is after I died and lost about an hours progress lol.

brentech

I actually posted this in the Skyrim OT2 thread before finding this.

I hadn't played the game since December 9, today is the first time since. I had an 82hr game save that was at a point of playing for 30minutes and crashing the PS3, forcing me to run defrag.

With the patch, I played for 2 hours today....saw no stuttering, had no issues really at all. Mannequins actually work, as do my display cases now. I honestly didn't come across anything that used to bug me, so I'm pretty darn happy with it.

Nizz

Hey guys, the Digital Foundry article will be up tomorrow morning (GMT), if you wanted a closer look at the patch differences. :)
Thanks! The original video you guys did helped bring a lot of attention to this issue, glad you guys did this.

NBtoaster

How do you increase your save file size? I'm at around 90 hours but my file is 9MB, whereas the DF test is using a 65 hour 11MB save.

Size depends on how much you interact with the world. Dropping items a lot, progressing through long quests, clearing locations and exploring the local map will increase it most (apparently messing with bookshelves will increase it too).

Top Bottom