• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword has the most to gain from a potential remaster

So, I've been thinking this for a while, but I think that Skyward Sword has the most to gain in a potential remaster on the Switch, and I do *NOT* mean by removing motion controls.

EDIT: First and foremost, I speak within the bounds of precedent that we've seen in the other remasters -- small tweaks and changes to controls, small additions, and no major overhauls that completely change the game.

So what do I mean by this? Particularly, I am referring to the fact that most of the complaints on Skyward Sword are, largely, not content based (though it's not free from such issues), but rather geared towards flawed implementations of otherwise sound or agreeable concepts. Very little would have to be changed in any major way, to improve the game immensely. Most of these changes are "small" enough that honestly, they could have been implemented in something as minor as a patch, had the Wii been more accommodating of that.
Because of that, a remaster that touches on these issues, would do a lot of good for the game.

Easily Improved Point 1: Fi. Fi is a sweet concept, giving the Master Sword itself a personality, which gave the sword that's accompanied Link a deeper connection. It retroactively makes the Master Sword in the other games cooler, because now it's not just a weapon, but an eternal companion.... THAT WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP, JESUS CHRIST I GET IT THERE'S A 95% CHANCE THAT THERE'S A FUCKING MOUNTAIN IN FRONT OF ME! SHUT THE HELL UP!
So, easy fix, you can already talk to Fi at will, right? Maybe one of those dialog options is, "Hey Fi, I know what I'm doing, mkay?" or "Hey Fi, I'm a little lost, can you point me around a bit?" Make all of the annoying "MASTER THERE'S AN 85% CHANCE THAT THE THING THE GUY TOLD YOU TWO SECONDS AGO IS A THING" optional, through a simple dialog, and bam, Fi goes from annoyance to cool dancing robot sword lady. Problem fixed. This is especially easy, because most of the time Fi isn't even a part of the fucking conversation she's annoying you with -- she's just throwing a second unskippable conversation where she just repeats the thing they just told you. Would take very little reworking/effort.
Also included is not opening a slow ass dialogue box every time you walk over an acorn, and other slow ass dialogues.

Easily improved point 2: Gyro pointer.
Okay, so in Skyward Sword, all point controls are kinda ass. Many are quick to blame the Gyro being used over IR, but that's only *half* right. The issues aren't the gyro being used fundamentally, but rather in quirks in how it's being used. We know this, because Pikmin 3 is a thing, and Pikmin 3 handles it much better.
The problem is that Skyward Sword is prioritizing having a smooth, "stable" pointer over a responsive one -- it achieves this by sampling position over several frames, and then averaging that out to decide where to put the pointer. You can actually mimick this same thing in any Wii/U CoD game by adjusting the "smoothness" setting.
Problem is, there's no fucking reason to use smoothness on Zelda! They seem to have realized this for BotW, where the gyro aim is much more responsive, and if they clear this up, aiming and using the Beetle will be massively improved.

Easily improved point 3: Controls
To follow up on the gyro pointer, there's a few other quirks that fuck up the game as a whole, that are easily remedied in a remaster. First -- pointer recentering. We all know that the pointer needs to occassionally adjusted to recenter, and I think most people can live with that. Where things get *REALLY HORRIBLE* however, is that the game frequently recenters the cursor without telling you. The biggest offender of this, is that the game will recenter your "cursor" when you walk through doors. So then, when you walk in the other room, and pull out your sword, suddenly it's pointing the wrong way! Why? Because you were holding your hand by your side when you walked through the door and it recentered, and the game for whatever fucking reason thinks you're pointing at the screen. This is fucking stupid, and just disabling this would honestly clear up a lot of control confusion.
Also, fuck the swimming controls. This is easy: either A, totally remove the motion aspect from it, or B, have orientation controlled by the control stick, and then "paddle" with motion if they REALLY want them in there. Ideally, just remove motion from swimming altogether, it's one of the cases where motion legitimately added *nothing* but frustration. Not even "hey that's cool", just frustration. They already totally reworked swimming as a Zora in MM3D, so we know this isn't so much change that they'd never do it.

To add to this point, consistency in general would already be improved by being on the Switch, in my opinion. I believe much of SS's fidgety controls came about due to the Motion Plus being an add on with some controllers, and built in with others. Using a built in M+ controller was a massive improvement over using an addon M+ on the Wii version, so I think having one good, base, accurate gyro controller will already alleviate the inconsistency problems SS had on Wii.

Less easily improved point: Empty Sky
This is probably the least "efficient" improvement point, in the sense that this did the least damage to SS's reputation of these points, and would mean the most amount of work to fix, since it would actively require content being created, but adding some Windwaker styled islands with caves in them to the sky would probably be for the best. At the very least, a challenge dungeon ala Cave of Ordeals could be added, though SS's combat is not particularly geared to the multiple enemy styled encounters that would encourage.

georly

All the tweaks in the world won't help that game's pacing, unfortunately.

Removing forced motion from flying and having fi nag at you are some of the least problematic bits about that game :/

It's stuff like being forced to climb eldin mountain 4 times in the game that are the real issue.

z0m3le

Banned
Honestly, I'd rather they just Majora's Mask up Breath of the Wild... Keep giving us expansions to this game and leave Skyward Sword for what it is, a relic of the past

Jamix012

Highly Disagree. Disclaimer: I think Skyward Sword is a great game. Not to say it doesn't have faults and I wouldn't love a remaster, but I don't think it has the MOST to gain.

Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time would most benefit from many of the mechanics introduced in BotW. Twilight Princess especially desperately needs BotW's dynamism in mechanics and design. to make the field feel less...empty.

If we're going full on remake territory, Zelda II with Breath of the Wild's mechanics would be the absolute dream game.

The Lamp

You write a lot of words about the motion control issues, but they literally resolve in a split second of pressing down on the d-pad and recentering. I just can't relate to hating a game so much because of something that works well most of the time if you're playing in well-lit conditions and takes 1-2 seconds to fix. Then again, I don't relate to people raging about load times longer than 10 seconds, either.

But you're right. It would make a nice upgrade. But if they were to remove the motion control puzzles and gameplay, the game would be pitiful because that's what made it unique. Slashing enemies in a certain direction and solving puzzles with your sword's 1:1 motion is unlike any Zelda game, and it's a GOOD feature.

Yeah it really would. I suspect that game might look beautiful if remastered well.

And yeah, tone down Fi and some of the motion control. Remember dousing and how stupid that was?

ramparter

Banned
I know I have the most to gain because it's the only 3D Zelda I haven't played.

But I think it's time Nintendo starts remastering the 2D ones, especially the really old.

To improve the empty sky, just implement fast travel. It sucks out loud having to waggle flap aaaallllll the way to each waypoint on the map. Just let me pick which region to go to, show a SHORT!!!! scene of Link hopping on a bird, screen wipe, skydive scene.

If you wanna explore, you still can. But there's really nothing to explore except stones with octoroks on them. Cave (cloud?) of ordeals would be a nice addition.

The game does need traditional controller support. I don't know how some of the puzzle enemies would work, but they're smart guys and gals. They'll figure it out.

Get rid of waggle and I would double dip.

The entire game is based around motion controls, the fact that you think they are waggle just shows you either didn't play, or you were playing it wrong.

For precision, compare the wii+ in skyward sword to wii+ in Nintendo Land. The tech was fine, the wii just couldn't handle all that data well in real time. With the joycons, and the switch power it'd be way better.

Chinbo37

I played this a couple of years ago and found it great.

It would be much much much better without the motoin controls and the constant reminders everytime you pick up teh same bug or item. The rest I can live with.

The motion controls werent bad dont get me wrong but I did it once and if I played again I would prefer to just use a stick or something to slash in different directrions.

Glass Rebel

I'd welcome it with open arms. Skyward Sword was fantastic, if a bit rough around the edges. You make a great case for it, OP.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Aonuma has repeatedly mentioned regretting that people couldn't explore the areas "in between" the main zones, he wishes it was one connected world. It feels almost like water temple regret at this point. I'd expect to see that remedied in a remaster.

Tho yes, the game's biggest problem is being forced to retread ground so often, I'm not sure there's a realistic fix for that without major restructuring.

I wonder what they'd do about the motion, it's doable with the Joy-Con but it'd make it unplayable handheld. You could emulate it to a point with the right stick, but not really with the required level of finesse. It's way too core to all of the game mechanics.

Ashby

Just making it HD and calling it a day would help immensely. The game is a jaggy mess that hurts to look at.

Highly Disagree. Disclaimer: I think Skyward Sword is a great game. Not to say it doesn't have faults and I wouldn't love a remaster, but I don't think it has the MOST to gain.

Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time would most benefit from many of the mechanics introduced in BotW. Twilight Princess especially desperately needs BotW's dynamism in mechanics and design. to make the field feel less...empty.

If we're going full on remake territory, Zelda II with Breath of the Wild's mechanics would be the absolute dream game.
You are talking full remake, or major overhauls, which go beyond the scope of what we've seen in the changes to WWHD, TPHD, or the two 3DS remasters. I'm staying within the relative scope of the precedent set by those, and in that case, many more of SS's sticking points can be hugely improved with minimal effort.

You write a lot of words about the motion control issues, but they literally resolve in a split second of pressing down on the d-pad and recentering. I just can't relate to hating a game so much because of something that works well most of the time if you're playing in well-lit conditions and takes 1-2 seconds to fix. Then again, I don't relate to people raging about load times longer than 10 seconds, either.

But you're right. It would make a nice upgrade. But if they were to remove the motion control puzzles and gameplay, the game would be pitiful because that's what made it unique. Slashing enemies in a certain direction and solving puzzles with your sword's 1:1 motion is unlike any Zelda game, and it's a GOOD feature.

The *only* motion controls that I am in favor of removing, is swimming. The rest, is just adjustments to the behavior of how it recenters or responds, to make the game more responsive and predictable for people who don't recognize that the reason the sword no longer behaves right, is that the game recentered without telling them.

Semajer

Will the remaster provide me with a extra joint for my wrist so that I can use the swimming controls without requiring a trip to the hospital?

Sapiens

I played it, finished it, liked it a lot. No desire to go back to it as it was a fairly linear experience compared to BotW. But, Nintendo should find a way to preserve it for future play in HD by new players. It is a really amazingly fun game and a big troll to Zelda diehards and waggle haters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Get rid of waggle and I would double dip.

Can you provide an example of the waggle in this game? It's been a while since I've played it.

Well I suppose you to stretch the definition of count the flapping of the loftwing's wings. Yeah, those controls could see a reworking.

The Hermit

It's by far the 3D Zelda with most fundamental issues. The swordplay, multiple annoying battles with the giant boss, Fi, the most linear/less rewarding game of the franchise and pacing.

I actually don't want Nintendo to spend time/money on this.

The Lamp

You are talking full remake, or major overhauls, which go beyond the scope of what we've seen in the changes to WWHD, TPHD, or the two 3DS remasters. I'm staying within the relative scope of the precedent set by those, and in that case, many more of SS's sticking points can be hugely improved with minimal effort.

The *only* motion controls that I am in favor of removing, is swimming. The rest, is just adjustments to the behavior of how it recenters or responds, to make the game more responsive and predictable for people who don't recognize that the reason the sword no longer behaves right, is that the game recentered without telling them.

Fair enough. Then I agree. Thanks for the clarification :)

Removing forced motion from flying and having fi nag at you are some of the least problematic bits about that game :/

It's stuff like being forced to climb eldin mountain 4 times in the game that are the real issue.

This. I enjoyed Skyward Sword but the padding in the later half of the game removes any sense of adventure, I felt like an idiot doing chores for the dragons. Don't know how they would fix that without cutting 20-30 % of the entire game.

I nonethless agree with the changes suggested in the OP.

Chase17

I would love to see a remaster. I would most like to see faster flying and/or a way to warp throughout the over world.

Absolutely. From a purely graphical point of view, the game looks amazing when emulated at a high resolution:

120267SOUP0145.jpg

760072SOUP0111.jpg

727155SOUP019.jpg

1twsd1.jpg

10nalqz.jpg

Will the remaster provide me with a extra joint for my wrist so that I can use the swimming controls without requiring a trip to the hospital?
Well, if you read the OP, you'd know that the motion based swimming is objectively bad, and I propose just removing it wholesale.

Aonuma has repeatedly mentioned regretting that people couldn't explore the areas "in between" the main zones, he wishes it was one connected world. It feels almost like water temple regret at this point. I'd expect to see that remedied in a remaster.

Tho yes, the game's biggest problem is being forced to retread ground so often, I'm not sure there's a realistic fix for that without major restructuring.

I wonder what they'd do about the motion, it's doable with the Joy-Con but it'd make it unplayable handheld. You could emulate it to a point with the right stick, but not really with the required level of finesse. It's way too core to all of the game mechanics.
That would be in the territory of remake, so I didn't cover it, but yeah, that would be great.

Honestly, I'm not sure that's a super huge problem -- while at first I was disappointed to see that there were only 3 major areas, I did enjoy seeing how they changed and opened up based on what equipment I had or actual changes to the environment. It felt a bit like Metroid in the sense that a familiar area with new equipment, felt new.
Though yeah specifically the mountain bit was annoying, though I'm not sure how much that could be changed without going into remake/major overhaul territory.

Shiggy

A remaster would hardly fix the game's problems, and what you mention would not even touch the biggest issue: the game was boring and a chore to finish. Maybe cut half of the game and just let the user see parts of the dungeons and the boss fights.

I would love a remaster, but I disagree with your first statement about not removing motion controls. Especially on a switch game. Releasing a switch game with motion controls seems really stupid to me, this console is supposed to be a hybrid, how can I play skyward sword with motion controls on the go?

Wouldn't it look just exactly the same? I can imagine it looking great with a higher resolution and anti aliasing. But it's Nintendo, and it's the Switch.
And motion controls for a handheld seems weird to me..

Why am I needing to press a button to resolve control issues? How is it a good feature when you outright say it works 'most of the time'. Not working ONE time is horrible. The controls are shit. I am so glad BOTW didn't use this control scheme.

Great music though.

Tonyx

While I agree with everything the OP said, Skyward Sword has been more or less the poster child of Wiimote + Nunchuk uniqueness. Remastering to use a different controller (and thus making it a better games) would be more or less like saying it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

Everything is possible, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Fuck yes OP, my most wanted remaster is SS on Switch.

Cleaning up some of the imperfections would let more people see what a masterpiece this game is. And damn that art style in HD would look soo good

Edit: though portable play would be tricky I think on Switch. If you offer a no motion controlled version, how does that even work?

- Cutscenes should be skippable from the beginning
- Hero mode should be unlockable from the beginning
- Item pop ups after every start up should be removed
- Fi battery notifications should be removed
- Fi repeated dialogue should be removed
- Loading between Skyloft and the Sky should be improved
- Having to leave the land below if you want to go to a different area in the same land (bird statues should be warp points in general)
- Lessen the amount of tears of light required during silent realms
- Make flying, swimming, and free falling controllable with the stick
- Minigames should have immediate retry menu if failed instead of taking you back to the NPC describing the game
- Increase text speed
- If you fall off Skyloft, get rid of the Skyloft Knight reprimanding you every time
- Being able to fly in the night sky
- Increase the speed of loftwing

Can't really change all the game play stuff like the escort mission or tadtones but this stuff they can totally change

Galang

Banned
They also need to take away those horrible resident evil-esque guardian trials. Never again.

If all the things in the OP were fixed SS would be my favourite 3D Zelda (not including BotW).

A remaster would hardly fix the game's problems, and what you mention would not even touch the biggest issue: the game was boring and a chore to finish. Maybe cut half of the game and just let the user see parts of the dungeons and the boss fights.
I can see them making large adjustments to the later half of the game.
But, again, this is written based on "When they inevitably remaster this game, here is what can be immediately improved."

I would love a remaster, but I disagree with your first statement about not removing motion controls. Especially on a switch game. Releasing a switch game with motion controls seems really stupid to me, this console is supposed to be a hybrid, how can I play skyward sword with motion controls on the go?

We already have a portable only game. I think most people would be understanding of a TV (or desktop only) game for a Wii remaster.

They also need to take away those horrible resident evil-esque guardian trials. Never again.

u wanna fite?

JediLink

I think he's talking about a remaster in the same vein as the ones we've already had. You know, like Ocarina of Time 3D and Twilight Princess HD?

Anyway I agree OP. A lot of SS's problems would be very easy to fix. It would probably be the first of these remasters I would buy.

- Being able to fly in the night sky
I don't think this would be quite as simple a change as you think. For example there's at least one puzzle about figuring out how to get to a certain island at night, and it would introduce the problem of being able to get to the surface at night which is impossible otherwise, unless it automatically changes to day when you land or something. It's hardly much of an inconvenience anyway.

muteki

I could see a control scheme that used a combination of buttons and stick direction to emulate the motion controls but it would probably be asking for too much out of a outsourced remaster.

Other than that, and the overworld being either empty or disconnected, I enjoyed the game.

Nottle

Personally I think they need to rip away a lot of the world in Skyward sword and take out a couple of the more redundant inprisioned fights.

HD would certainly help the look of the game.

It would need to be what they did to fix wind waker but overhauled.

"I'm still your Zelda"

1093966.gif

The best cutscene in Zelda history and the most memorable quote of the entire series. I need that cutscene in beautiful HD. They really nailed their portrayal of Zelda in this game. I was so moved by that moment.

Top Bottom