• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword has the most to gain from a potential remaster

H3xum

I don't know that I can go back to the traditional Zelda. Might just be the honeymoon period I am still in right now, but, still. I read this and thought, meh

Wouldn't it look just exactly the same? I can imagine it looking great with a higher resolution and anti aliasing. But it's Nintendo, and it's the Switch.
And motion controls for a handheld seems weird to me..

Look at the twilight princess remaster, it doesn't look great but it's certainly an improvement over the original.

ryushe

A remaster would hardly fix the game's problems, and what you mention would not even touch the biggest issue: the game was boring and a chore to finish. Maybe cut half of the game and just let the user see parts of the dungeons and the boss fights.
Yep. Skyward Swords biggest issue is in its pacing and there's just too much fat, especially in the latter half of the game. Like, is it really necessary for me to collect Tadnotes?

They'd have to retool too much for SS not to feel like a chore and I say this as someone who genuinely really likes the game.

ReitStuff

People need to stop saying things like "just cut the first 5 hours of the game." This will not happen. See: Twilight Princess HD

Unfortunately in order to fix Skyward Sword you need to remove the filler (tadpole) segments, axe the long tutorial, turn Fi off, make the controls less annoying, make the Sky actually fun to explore, and of course make the game visually appealing in HD.

At that point, it pretty much becomes a new game

I suppose they might as well considering all the other 3D Zeldas have gotten a remaster of sorts.

I think it'd be pretty neat if they took all these 3D Zelda remakes, including OOT and MM 3D, and bundled them into one compilation for Switch. Improve the texture work for the 3DS and maybe have them run at 60 fps or something.

Unfortunately in order to fix Skyward Sword you need to remove the filler (tadpole) segments, axe the long tutorial, turn Fi off, make the controls less annoying, make the Sky actually fun to explore, and of course make the game visually appealing in HD visuals.

At that point, it pretty much becomes a new game

As the OP outlines, everything but the first two items there are accounted for.

Also even on Dolphin the game looks fanfuckingtastic so uh....

I suppose they might as well considering all the other 3D Zeldas have gotten a remaster of sorts.

I think it'd be pretty neat if they took all these 3D Zelda remakes, including OOT and MM 3D, and bundled them into one compilation for Switch. Improve the texture work for the 3DS and maybe have them run at 60 fps or something.

I would love this. Ocarina and Majora's Mask are remakes. So many people call them remasters, but the games were completely remade with beautiful new models. A nice little package for the Switch in full HD, 60 fps and with maybe some updated lighting/textures would be great.

Call it the "Zelda 64 collection" or something.

KraytarJ

I would love a remaster with better controls so people can stop harping on them and see that SS has tons of other foundational flaws that are what actually make it bad.

Semajer

Well, if you read the OP, you'd know that the motion based swimming is objectively bad, and I propose just removing it wholesale.

I did read it, but I don't see Nintendo remastering Skyward Sword with selective motion controls. I think they'd either keep all of them or remove all of them.

Hmmm, it's weird but nothing in the OP really bothered me.

My main hangup with the game is how exhausting it could be at times. The getting to the dungeon bit could be so long that by the time I reached the dungeon I was numb to it.

That's a deep structural problem that isn't getting fixed in a remaster though.

Mugaaz

Would never in a million years rebuy this game. 4 hour long unskipabble tutorial. Absolute worst intro experience I've had in a Zelda game.

Jamix012

I think he's talking about a remaster in the same vein as the ones we've already had. You know, like Ocarina of Time 3D and Twilight Princess HD?

Anyway I agree OP. A lot of SS's problems would be very easy to fix. It would probably be the first of these remasters I would buy.

Eh, I mean, if we're talking straight remasters than it's literally the ONLY 3D Zelda not to be remastered (BotW obviously too.) It's not saying much to say "the only 3D Zelda not remastered would benefit most from a remaster."

And yes, Skyward Sword wasn't perfect so it could definitely use the tune up, but if it WAS a choice, i'd rather focus on remakes over remasters (and yes I'm aware that remakes take a lot more effort.)

ryushe

Wind Waker already had a good opening
Yeah, but the last few hours weren't (triumph forks).

Edit:
Just read the previous post I quoted and I thought the person wrote "final 5 hours", not "first 5 hours". My bad.

And yeah, SS first few hours are fine. A little slow, but not terrible. It's the last bit of fetch quest at the end that brings that game to a screeching halt for me.

bionic77

The motion control was great in this game. Made it a really unique experience that probably has not been surpassed since it came out.

If they remastered it the real change would have to be getting rid of the filler and the too long intro. But that would take a lot of work.

Considering Skyward Sword is the only 3D console Zelda that hasn't been remade, this seems inevitable. Especially since they're going to have an audience hungry for more.

I would love a remaster, but I disagree with your first statement about not removing motion controls. Especially on a switch game. Releasing a switch game with motion controls seems really stupid to me, this console is supposed to be a hybrid, how can I play skyward sword with motion controls on the go?

Tabletop mode. But it would make way more sense to keep them in as an option for those who want it rather than mandatory.

I feel like Skyward Sword's problems are deeper than a few tweaks in a remaster could ever fix, and I actually quite liked the motion controls for the most part. The worst thing about that game is the never-ending "Go and find three things and then a thing will happen. lol psych!" tease. That game tells you to find three things, so you do, and the only thing that happens is that you're sent off to find three more things, and then it happens again. They reuse the same environments forwards and backwards, daytime and nighttime, flooded and olde-timey, and by the time you've actually done the third lot of 'do three things' it's time for the game to end.

jph139

My only real complaints with Skyward Sword are quality of life stuff - Fi pop-ins, flying issues, motion control roughness - so, yeah, I agree. I'll replay TWW/TP on the Gamecube easily but, as much as I love it, I'm not sure I'd ever really want to play SS on the Wii again. The core is superb but the edges are painful.

I'd definitely like to see the N64 games ported to Switch in full HD first, though. Would be a lot simpler with the 3DS versions as a base.

I actually beat Skyward Sword for the first time in years a few days ago and I have to say the game is slow in a lot of ways that isn't just it's pacing. For one thing, the text crawl is pretty slow. I think it's the slowest of the 3D Zeldas after Ocarina of Time. It makes going through the Skyloft shops annoying because you'll see the same 5 second long text crawl for every option and item you can buy.

Traveling between destinations on the sky is also unnecessary slow too. With Wind Waker at least the litter the sea with a lot of islands, structures, and enemies to fight. The Skyward Sword overworld is just way too barren to be spending so long going to place to place. Link's Loftwing needs to fly faster.

Beyond that I agree with everything OP said.

coughlanio

As someone who didn't have a Wii U, I'm down for ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Would be pretty amazing to have everything Zelda on a single system.

Pejo

Gold Member
The entire game is based around motion controls, the fact that you think they are waggle just shows you either didn't play, or you were playing it wrong.

For precision, compare the wii+ in skyward sword to wii+ in Nintendo Land. The tech was fine, the wii just couldn't handle all that data well in real time. With the joycons, and the switch power it'd be way better.

I only played the first hour or so, because I hated the controls, but couldn't you just assign button presses to the various slashes? Like Left bumper as sword ready, then LB+A for horizontal slash, LB+B for vertical, LB+X for stab, etc?

It makes me sad that SS is the only Zelda game I didn't beat, including the terrible DS ones.

I would buy it in an instant on the Switch alone for the fact that, despite owning the game I never played much further than the first real boss. Due to me having a disability Wiimote split-controls were a pain for me and thankfully I have no issues with split-Joycons for whatever reason, I think it comes down to the Joycons being much smaller and lighter.

For most other Wii games I could remedy my issues by simply playing the games with Dolphin and my DS3/DS4 but since Dolphin can't emulate Wii Motion + aside from a very old experimental build I would put all my hopes in a remaster.

I don't have Switch, just a Wii U momentarily, but I'd be interested in a remaster if they could somehow cut down the "tutorial" time...

Voice acting remaster could be nice too.

DoubleYou

This game wouldn't make any sense without the motion controls though. A lot of (combat) puzzles are based on it.

I will say that I'm very interested in seeing this art style return in HD. Skyward Sword was basically an HD game on an SD console so to speak.

I only played the first hour or so, because I hated the controls, but couldn't you just assign button presses to the various slashes? Like Left bumper as sword ready, then LB+A for horizontal slash, LB+B for vertical, LB+X for stab, etc?
No, the game requires smooth motion controls for everything. It's not just about the combat, it's also about puzzles. The game was designed completely around motion controls, and to remove them would require redesigning much of the game, and would make the game worse while removing immersion.

Not to mention camera control on the right joy-con would be a nice control addition too.

You'd have to hold the joy-con upside down. Pointer controls will be impossible on Switch. Yeah, you could have a minigame or a segment where Fi prompts you to turn the joy-con upside down, but then you couldn't use the grip at all, or you couldn't use a Pro controller. It's not practical at all.

They would have to devise an all-new control scheme.

...would make the game worse while removing immersion.

I feel that this is an argument. The game breaks immersion all the time. Master! Your battery is low! Master! Master! There is a 99.99999 repeating percent chance that all these damn prompts are taking you out of the game every 20 minutes!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
More RAM will make it possible to skip the slow transitions between air and land, which would also help a lot in my opinion.

I imagine part of the reason Skyloft was so large and empty was to mask loading.

13ruce

Banned
Fi should be redesigned to be like Ghirahim but female.

Why could Ghirahim atleast resemble a human like being and Fi not? Going from Midna to that was so dissapointing.

Should have made her less robotic and more humanoid like.

Also redesign those imprisioned battles it's the same battle 3 times. Maybe make it spew a phantom Demise or something in the second battle and let the third one be the same.

Iron out those music notes side quest at the end of the game what was that lol?

The rest is fine imo. I love this game but these are the flaws i like seeing improved the most.

Sendou

CTRL+F "HD Rumble". Damn I thought this would make the list for sure. Due to the nature of the game it would have quite a bit to gain by improved feedback made possible by the technology.

Pejo

Gold Member
No, the game requires smooth motion controls for everything. It's not just about the combat, it's also about puzzles. The game was designed completely around motion controls, and to remove them would require redesigning much of the game, and would make the game worse while removing immersion.

Ah, well I guess my dream is dead then. Thanks for the clarification, at any rate!

Somnid

They'd have to overhaul the entire control system for Switch anyway because people will expect it to be played portably which doesn't work with motion. I'm guessing right analog stick for motion.

Would never in a million years rebuy this game. 4 hour long unskipabble tutorial. Absolute worst intro experience I've had in a Zelda game.
Dang, it took you 4 hours? Did you get really super stuck or something? It takes most people just over an hour, and really much of that time isn't tutorial but storyline.

All the tweaks in the world won't help that game's pacing, unfortunately.

Removing forced motion from flying and having fi nag at you are some of the least problematic bits about that game :/

It's stuff like being forced to climb eldin mountain 4 times in the game that are the real issue.

It's funny how on Breath of the Wild I might have climbed the same mountain multiple times, but because it is my own decision to do it and not the game forcing me, it doesn't get old. But yes, it was frustrating on Skyward Sword. But I think adding conventional controls (Joy-Con + Grip or Switch Pro) would do wonders for the game.

You'd have to hold the joy-con upside down. Pointer controls will be impossible on Switch. Yeah, you could have a minigame or a segment where Fi prompts you to turn the joy-con upside down, but then you couldn't use the grip at all, or you couldn't use a Pro controller. It's not practical at all.

They would have to devise an all-new control scheme.

Why would you have to hold the joy-con upside down?

Top Bottom