• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword has the most to gain from a potential remaster

You can't remaster Skyward Sword because Skyward Sword absolutely needs motion controls. The entire game, especially a combat, is built around motion controls and you would need to rework the game extensively in order for that to work.

goldenpp72

I agree, I quit SS because of the stupid controls. I'd not mind if the sword and aiming controls remained but the rest of them were idiotic, even worse than rolling in returns.

a916

You can't remaster Skyward Sword because Skyward Sword absolutely needs motion controls. The entire game, especially a combat, is built around motion controls and you would need to rework the game extensively in order for that to work.

Yeah, it'll definitely require a overhaul if they want to dump those motion controls.

God Nintendo could make a killing bundling a remaster with Gold Joycons

They already cost 100CAD... they are making a killing regardless.

MoonFrog

I'm not sure. I think SS only egregious pacing problems are at the end of the game and they aren't of the TP nature where you are just doing too much of something. There of the sort where 2 versions of the imprisoned are close together and you have three overworld retreads without a dungeon or new areas to punctuate them. Instead, they reimagine areas in controversial ways. I don't see how a bandaid gets people to stop their "music balls= worst game ever created" hyperbole.

The sky isn't going to be fixed in a remaster. They didn't fix TP's empty overworld/sidequest game.

They could fix the ruppee reminder and Fi, who was a bit sensitive although, tbh, I rarely experienced that side of her.

I guess they could also/would have to tweak the controls because I'm not sure how Switch motion controls work.

JaseMath

Isn't the gyro technology inside the JoyCons much better than the innards of Wii Motion+? If so, it might make the game a lot more enjoyable to those who wrote off the controls.

I always feel a bit annoyed by people judging the motion controls for not being 100% perfect. Even with button controls there are moments you mess up. The controls are very well designed and in my eyes they did work 100% of the time.

MoonFrog

Isn't the gyro technology inside the JoyCons much better than the innards of Wii Motion+? If so. it might make the game a lot more enjoyable for those who wrote off the controls initially.
I understand it's better but is it working in a similar fashion that'd be easy to translate a Wii motion + game to? I don't have the foggiest about that.

And then there is handheld mode compatibility to worry about.

Fi and item pick up alerts are the only real must-fixes for a remaster. Everything else is fine. Keep the tad tones and the goofy ass Imprisoned fights.

I always feel a bit annoyed by people judging the motion controls for not being 100% perfect. Even with button controls there are moments you mess up. The controls are very well designed and in my eyes they did work 100% of the time.

People should have spent more time with the sword master guy in Skyloft. I spent 10-15 minutes learning the motion controls there and had basically no problems during my entire play through. I thought they worked really well and made combat fun and exciting.

MoonFrog

Absolutely true about standard controls. Don't get why pressing quickly to correct is game breaking when people deal with standard control frustrations regularly.

JaseMath

I understand it's better but is it working in a similar fashion that'd be easy to translate a Wii motion + game to? I don't have the foggiest about that.

And then there is handheld mode compatibility to worry about.

That's a simple fix: It doesn't support it.

Tidalwave

Nope. The bird can flap with a button. The sword could swing based on right stick inputs. It's really not impossible to create solutions.

Because motion controls keep getting brought up in threads like this and nobody seems to have a clear answer, I just want to ask: how similar are joycon motion controls to the Wii's?

I always was under the impression that porting/remaking Wii games would be pretty simple (well, not considering button placement, at least) with the joycons, but it looks like it's not exactly the same thing?

guek

Banned
I know this sounds like heresy, but I really did love the story of the game despite the somewhat-crummy controls. The Link and Zelda presented here are amongst my favorites, maybe rivaled by Toon Link and
Tetra

Just because of stuff like this. It broke my heart to see Link
bust his ass to make it through dungeons to catch up with Zelda, only to be told by Impa that he's a second too late, and have her bust his balls over it. You could see the pain and overall feeling in such scenes.

Come on, Ninty! Those kids deserve a way better port to have their story told!
Skyward Sword has the best Zelda story. In fact, I enjoy it more than the vast majority of other high end cinematic games that tend to do nothing more than crib from better movies or shows.

RagnarokX

Easily Improved Point 1: Fi. Fi is a sweet concept, giving the Master Sword itself a personality, which gave the sword that's accompanied Link a deeper connection. It retroactively makes the Master Sword in the other games cooler, because now it's not just a weapon, but an eternal companion.... THAT WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP, JESUS CHRIST I GET IT THERE'S A 95% CHANCE THAT THERE'S A FUCKING MOUNTAIN IN FRONT OF ME! SHUT THE HELL UP!
So, easy fix, you can already talk to Fi at will, right? Maybe one of those dialog options is, "Hey Fi, I know what I'm doing, mkay?" or "Hey Fi, I'm a little lost, can you point me around a bit?" Make all of the annoying "MASTER THERE'S AN 85% CHANCE THAT THE THING THE GUY TOLD YOU TWO SECONDS AGO IS A THING" optional, through a simple dialog, and bam, Fi goes from annoyance to cool dancing robot sword lady. Problem fixed. This is especially easy, because most of the time Fi isn't even a part of the fucking conversation she's annoying you with -- she's just throwing a second unskippable conversation where she just repeats the thing they just told you. Would take very little reworking/effort.
Also included is not opening a slow ass dialogue box every time you walk over an acorn, and other slow ass dialogues.
I think it's more that they need to make text scroll faster. Objectively Midna interupted more than Fi in Twilight Princess and for mostly the same reasons (introducing new areas, repeating what NPCs just told you, reminding you what your objective is, reminding you how to do things the game already told you how to do, telling you what you just did). Perhaps they need to overhaul her speech a bit to make it more obvious that what she says is meant to be somewhat humorous. People don't mind Midna as much because her personality was more obvious than Fi's. Hell, even Tatl and Navi are worse because they literally interrupt you in the middle of action and they didn't fix those. Maybe the actual problem is they didn't give Fi enough dialog to make players feel like she was a partner rather than a tool.

NandoGip

I agreed up until you wrote that motion controls shouldn't be removed. They absolutely should be removed. I bought a wii just for skyward sword and returned it immediately because the wii motion controls were so shitty

ZeroX03

Banned
Yes, Skyward Sword would gain a lot from making most of Fi's dialogue optional and adjusting the controls, which were already stellar. I'm glad the JoyCons are good for motion control though, losing that would kill that game anyway. Visually it'll look stunning at 1080p with some minor improvements. I'm sure they could also add a little extra content to the skies too, not that it really annoyed me.

The pacing is staying the way it is. It's a long game. That's how it is. The intro is actually good storywise unlike TP too.

Nilaul

Interconnect the on ground areas with caverns and passageways (something like a metroid prime world) and do something to the sky (perhaps make the transition from sky to world seamless) but that would probably require a lot of work and that is not gonna happen.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'd be interested in watching people use the controllers, the motion controls weren't always perfect but they were far from unplayable.

I think it's more that they need to make text scroll faster. Objectively Midna interupted more than Fi in Twilight Princess and for mostly the same reasons (introducing new areas, repeating what NPCs just told you, reminding you what your objective is, reminding you how to do things the game already told you how to do, telling you what you just did). Perhaps they need to overhaul her speech a bit to make it more obvious that what she says is meant to be somewhat humorous. People don't mind Midna as much because her personality was more obvious than Fi's. Hell, even Tatl and Navi are worse because they literally interrupt you in the middle of action and they didn't fix those. Maybe the actual problem is they didn't give Fi enough dialog to make players feel like she was a partner rather than a tool.
More dialogue would not fix Fi. She is just not a good character. She is bland, lacks any growth, there is just nothing to her. What they would have to do is completely rewrite her and that's not going to happen.

Skyward Sword has the best Zelda story. In fact, I enjoy it more than the vast majority of other high end cinematic games that tend to do nothing more than crib from better movies or shows.

Agreed 100%. I started playing again today and it does a fantastic job with world building, charming and fun characters and starting up a big journey. It has a way better story than BOTW. But that's okay as BOTW has a different method of storytelling but still.

I also thought Fi was a good character despite talking too much. She's "bland" because she's sort of like a robot but still had an implicated sarcastic personality that I liked.

RagnarokX

Yes, Skyward Sword would gain a lot from making most of Fi's dialogue optional and adjusting the controls, which were already stellar. I'm glad the JoyCons are good for motion control though, losing that would kill that game anyway. Visually it'll look stunning at 1080p with some minor improvements. I'm sure they could also add a little extra content to the skies too, not that it really annoyed me.

The pacing is staying the way it is. It's a long game. That's how it is. The intro is actually good storywise unlike TP too.

Most of the time Fi's dialog serves a purpose (introducing an area, objective, or mechanic) or is there to include her as part of the story. When she introduces new mechanics she does ask if you want the explanation and you can tell her no.

More dialogue would not fix Fi. She is just not a good character. She is bland, lacks any growth, there is just nothing to her. What they would have to do is completely rewrite her and that's not going to happen.

More and improved dialog absolutely could fix that. They gave her character growth with her interactions with the ancient robots and she gradually becomes less robotic over time, but she obviously needs more dialog to flesh her out more.

Yazuka

I'd just like to be able to play with a regular controller and skip som of Fi's unnecessary dialog. Like when you are running low on hearts. Master, master!
YES! I know I'm low on hearts I can hear the damn sound from having low hearts! Shut the hell up!

PrimeBeef

Honestly, I'd rather they just Majora's Mask up Breath of the Wild... Keep giving us expansions to this game and leave Skyward Sword for what it is, a relic of the past
Yeah something like have us play through the events of 100 years ago but with Zelda being able to weild the MS and use the Sheika tech. So far, I'm getting the sense that she is upset she can't and Link can.

I like SS a lot but a lot would have to change and that would make it almost a new game.

I don't feel like these are necessary to improve the game much.

I never found Fi especially annoying, and she does cool off as the game progresses. Though there could be an option to remove her, sure.

Controls were never an issue for me.

Empty sky is not a big deal because it's such a tiny part of the game. The real meat of the game is the surface world, which isn't barren.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the game really needs is to remove a couple of the Imprisoned fights. But I don't think that alone justifies a remaster.

More and improved dialog absolutely could fix that. They gave her character growth with her interactions with the ancient robots and she gradually becomes less robotic over time, but she obviously needs more dialog to flesh her out more.
They would have to add so much more dialogue to eclipse all of the other terrible dialogue in the game, which is another thing that isnt going to happen. I'm not sure what character growth with the ancient robots you're referring to, if it's just Scrapper or Skipper or some incidental robot, then that's seems like huge stretch to call growth. And no, she still has stilted lines and pulls the percentages out of her butt all the way till the end. She already has too much dialogue to begin with, we don't need her to stop the game to talk some more.

RagnarokX

I'd just like to be able to play with a regular controller and skip som of Fi's unnecessary dialog. Like when you are running low on hearts. Master, master!
YES! I know I'm low on hearts I can hear the damn sound from having low hearts! Shut the hell up!
That stuff is already skippable. You have to manually activate Fi to make her tell you your hearts are low. Just don't press that button. The sound it makes is already less annoying than the majority of low-health beeps in Zelda.

That stuff is already skippable. You have to manually activate Fi to make her tell you your hearts are low. Just don't press that button. The sound it makes is already less annoying than the majority of low-health beeps in Zelda.
Fi's face will still keep popping up till you acknowledge it. This happens even in Pro mode.

ZeroX03

Banned
Most of the time Fi's dialog serves a purpose (introducing an area, objective, or mechanic) or is there to include her as part of the story. When she introduces new mechanics she does ask if you want the explanation and you can tell her no.

Look, it never annoyed me, but her asking if you want explanations or popping up every time you reload the game for a small item obviously annoyed people. The bulk of her dialogue could be made optional is what I said, and there's no reason there can't be an option in the menu to make it only the story stuff. I don't really care, I just want people to stop complaining about it.

Empty sky is not a big deal because it's such a tiny part of the game. The real meat of the game is the surface world, which isn't barren.

Yeah. Even the sky is mainly Skyloft which is a pretty big area and the game's hub-- it's where the story starts, the shops, side quests and even the game's final dungeon are! I'm not sure why a vast sky would have so much shit in it anyway, there's already that, several islands, a few minigame islands, Pumpkin Landing, and the awesome Thunderhead place off to the side.

Other than all that stuff which I certainly wouldn't call empty, its main function is a way to get between Eldin, Faron and Lanayru regions and of course the places that are in the sky. It feels like some people just aimlessly flew around instead of actually playing the game lol

RagnarokX

They would have to add so much more dialogue to eclipse all of the other terrible dialogue in the game, which is another thing that isnt going to happen. I'm not sure what character growth with the ancient robots you're referring to, if it's just Scrapper or Skipper or some incidental robot, then that's seems like huge stretch to call growth. And no, she still has stilted lines and pulls the percentages out of her butt all the way till the end. She already has too much dialogue to begin with, we don't need her to stop the game to talk some more.

Scrapper, Skipper, and robot pirate. Fi leads a sad existence and they should call more attention to it.

Look, it never annoyed me, but her asking if you want explanations or popping up every time you reload the game for a small item obviously annoyed people. The bulk of her dialogue could be made optional is what I said, and there's no reason there can't be an option in the menu to make it only the story stuff. I don't really care, I just want people to stop complaining about it.

Well that has nothing to do with Fi. Those messages just pop up on their own and are absolutely a problem that needs to be fixed.

Fi's face will still keep popping up till you acknowledge it. This happens even in Pro mode.
It goes away without having to acknowledge it when you fill your hearts out of the danger zone.

Haven't been able to read up through the read as much as I'd like, but I'll ask: Couldn't the joycon's basically handle the controls for Skyward Sword? May take some clever button mapping but as far as motion controls go, don't the joycons have all the tech of the Wii Remote +?

I'd be down for a remaster.

Davide

... there's already one on the Wii U, it all depend if nintendo bring it to NX
A remaster, not a remake.

But yes, the Wii controls of Skyward Sword weren't very appealing for me and probably a part of why I couldn't make it to the end. I don't think I'd ever go back after Breath of the Wild.

I think a potential SS remaster would be like TWW/TP HD in that changes can only fix so much of the original game; personally, I'm not really crazy about SS and so much of that has to do with the overall core of how the game functions, and they're not going to just completely revamp that.

For example, cutting down on Fi's patronizing messages would be great, but it won't change how her "farewell" at the end of the game is completely unearned or how she's just a boring character.

Edit: That said, some of the Dolphin screenshots are surprisingly effective. Maybe they could make the trees move beyond the N64 era? lol

OP also needs to add "make text scroll super fast like in TP"

Was that something they did for the HD version? I've played TWW to death and the sped-up text in the HD remaster took a while to get used to, lol.

I feel like the easiest thing they could strip out of a remaster is the Skyview Temple revisit. That was just egregious padding. Just have a warp to the spring or whatever.

Scrapper, Skipper, and robot pirate. Fi leads a sad existence and they should call more attention to it.

It goes away without having to acknowledge it when you fill your hearts out of the danger zone.
Like I said, sounds like a stretch. They do call attention to it at the end, and it's very forced.

Well yeah, of course once you heal it'll stop. Just like once you change your batteries. That doesn't make it not annoying that she does it at all even on pro mode. The game already displays a battery indicator at the bottom of the screen once it's low and your health is pretty hard to miss when it's low. It's pointless that she does this at all, just like most things she does.

Top Bottom