• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword new media depot [Latest: Lyre Trailer] [Spoilers may vary]

Caelus

i.e, gamers just want a challenging Zelda game with a mature plot, an immersive - up-to date overworld, intelligent A.I., orchestral music and voice acting and the like. They don't want new quirky art styles, shallow, sugary animu storylines or motion control gimmicks. You're right, people just want to see the basics expanded upon and improved, and I think a majority of fans have finally realized this after TP. It's the primary reason why TP was so hyped to begin with, and why people were drooling over the tech demo footage shown at E3. Needless experiments with pointless art styles, dumbed-down difficulty and motion controls just comes off as lazy procrastination on Nintendo's part. It isn't going to revolutionize the series' foundations, and it isn't going to keep fans interested in the long run.

I don't know why I'm doing this, it's like I can't keep all this ridiculousness to myself.

ASIS

Caelus said:
I don't know why I'm doing this, it's like I can't keep all this ridiculousness to myself.
Just don't bother reading anymore from that thread (yes, I know exactly where you got that from).

To me that site just proved to me why Zelda fans are one of the worst fanbases out there.

Vanille

Yoshichan said:
So I'm watching videos I shouldn't be watching of this game... and I still can't fathom how fucking good this art direction this. It's the absolute best direction they've ever gone with in a Zelda-game. This will look good in 10 years. There, I said it.

Doubt it. It already looks dated in a few areas. It won't be nearly as timeless as WW.

Caelus

Nintendo-4Life said:
Just don't bother reading anymore from that thread (yes, I know exactly where you got that from).

To me that site just proved to me why Zelda fans are one of the worst fanbases out there.

I'm just not going to bother posting there anymore, now that that person's a moderator. -_-;;

On another note, does anyone know if the origins trailer is on the Nintendo Channel?

Thoraxes

matthewd49 said:
omg, thank you for that link. you are a good person.
No problem!

At the time I just wanted cheap cables to go with my larger TV because regular ones just did not cut it once I had upgraded to a better TV. I figured for $5 I could take the risk and then just buy official ones if they failed me.
Vanille said:
Doubt it. It already looks dated in a few areas. It won't be nearly as timeless as WW.
I think it will be, and it'll have the same longevity because people will eventually emulate it making it look x1000 prettier, just like people now do with WW.

Honestly I don't give a crap about motion controls in a Zelda game. All I care about is good art, creative central gameplay element and dungeons, and a giant seamless overworld (are we even getting one in SS?)

And stop with the fire, water, forest temples for crying out lound. There are quite a few dungeons in Zelda that haven't revolved around those elements.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kard8p3 said:
Indeed it is. I personally think it looks better than Wind Waker though I could see people liking the WW art style better.
Agreed!

Caelus

SS has my favorite art style of any game to date, but I still want my realistic Zelda that isn't drab TP.

Basically, I want SS with tons more detail and no cel-shading for the Wii U. Can you do that, Nintendo?

Caelus said:
SS has my favorite art style of any game to date, but I still want my realistic Zelda that isn't drab TP.

Basically, I want SS with tons more detail and no cel-shading for the Wii U. Can you do that, Nintendo?

Yeah but HD dungeons are probably too hard.

Thoraxes

Caelus said:

I'm gonna hold out that they'll try an HD game that pushes the limits of the system. They've been really good with milking the Wii to its potential, so I hope they continue that trend with the Wii U. Maybe it'll be like the E3 Wii U demonstration, or for all we know, they'll choose a totally different art style.

guek

Banned
Thoraxes said:
I'm gonna hold out that they'll try an HD game that pushes the limits of the system. They've been really good with milking the Wii to its potential, so I hope they continue that trend with the Wii U. Maybe it'll be like the E3 Wii U demonstration, or for all we know, they'll choose a totally different art style.

dude, people will literally weep when an actual HD zelda game is revealed. I'm expecting this times 100

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I already weeped when I saw the HD demonstration for Wii U ._.

ASIS

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Honestly I don't give a crap about motion controls in a Zelda game. All I care about is good art, creative central gameplay element and dungeons, and a giant seamless overworld (are we even getting one in SS?)

And stop with the fire, water, forest temples for crying out lound. There are quite a few dungeons in Zelda that haven't revolved around those elements.
I honestly don't understand why this is such an annoyance to people. What's wrong with these elements?

I'll admit that I was very excited about Twilight Princess, even though I adored Wind Waker in its entirety, but that fan reaction, through powerful, seriously makes me wonder if most of those screaming guys were just men who finally thought that Nintendo had reconciled their love of Zelda with their fear of emasculation by other dudebros.

In a way, I'm glad Twilight Princess didn't turn out nearly as gritty (in terms of tone) as people had expected, even though I secretly hoped TP would share Majora's Mask's dark undercurrent.

Yoshichan

Yeah the best thing that came from Twilight Princess was that air dungeon... and the mission where you need to save Midna (as Wolf-Link). That was really good.

ASIS

Yoshichan said:
Yeah the best thing that came from Twilight Princess was that air dungeon... and the mission where you need to save Midna (as Wolf-Link). That was really good.
Excuse me? Lakebed temple + arbiter's grounds+ Snow Peak was TP's highlight. Literally every second was "0_0" worthy.

Yoshichan

Nintendo-4Life said:
Excuse me? Lakebed temple + arbiter's grounds+ Snow Peak was TP's highlight. Literally every second was "0_0" worthy.
lol had to Google every dungeon name! You're right about Snow Peak, but other than that, I'm not changing what I think about TP :)

I agree with you that saving Midna and the City in the Sky are some of the best segments (as well as the Arbiter Grounds). But I think those are so memorable because, in the case of the former, the game asks us to care about a character (unlike Illia, who ultimately proved to be nothing more than a plot device); and in the case of the latter, we are given a sense of mystery and adventure that could never be experienced otherwise. I remember the City in the Sky being so aesthetically interesting, so full of questions, which was enhanced by the fun of the dual clawshot and the final boss.

I don't want to make my love of Majora's Mask any more apparent, but for me, it had the best combination of mystery and empathy and adventure that no Zelda has really topped (though I accept that each game has different goals, which still make them enjoyable).

I don't really expect Skyward Sword to be another MM, but if it can manage to create interesting, empathetic characters, and uproot the tonality set by the colorful art style (like Wind Waker did), I will think all the more of it.

Yoshichan

All this talk about Majoras Mark lately... need to sit down and play it someday.

Yes, definitely. I was replaying it a few months back, on the GameCube, but it annoyingly froze just as I finished the Great Bay temple. That's why people need to keep harping for a 3DS remake, complete with overhauled graphics, and most importantly, NO GLITCHES.

ASIS

Yoshichan said:
lol had to Google every dungeon name! You're right about Snow Peak, but other than that, I'm not changing what I think about TP :)
You need to go and play TP again! Those were awesome, awesome moments. I agree that City in the Sky was probably the best in terms of design, but I like the other ones better.

Thoraxes

guek said:
dude, people will literally weep when an actual HD zelda game is revealed. I'm expecting this times 100
Well shit, i'll be right back. Also, that moment in gaming history is probbaly the most excited i've ever been for anything. That crowd is fucking amazing, and their reaction just gives me chills every time.

I'm going to watch this:

JPvvO.jpg

Yoshichan

Nintendo-4Life said:
You need to go and play TP again! Those were awesome, awesome moments. I agree that City in the Sky was probably the best in terms of design, but I like the other ones better.
I'll maybe do it after Skyward Sword! I haven't played a "Zelda" in a while so I don't want to "ruin the experience" by controlling Link until after SS :D

edit: probably sounds stupid as fuck... but that's how I am lol.

edit 2: omg I'm seeing 4D through Thoraxes' screenshot XD

Caelus

Nintendo-4Life said:

City in the Sky was ugly though, horrible color scheme. Although it had a nice interior.

Yoshichan

Caelus said:
City in the Sky was ugly though, horrible color scheme. Although it had a nice interior.
Don't get me started on TP and "ugly", you wouldn't want that, trust me ^^. Then again, I did play it on a SDTV...

ASIS

Caelus said:
I'm talking about level design, that place had some brilliant puzzles, a brilliant item, and brilliant fights. It was also lengthy and very labyrinthian. Yet it's not my favorite out of TP, not by a long shot.

Caelus

Yoshichan said:
Don't get me started on TP and "ugly", you wouldn't want that, trust me ^^. Then again, I did play it on a SDTV...

I played it on an LCD HDTV. Ugh. At least Hyrule Field was sexy...

Does any one have any tips for calibrating a Wii on a Sony Bravia?

Nintendo-4Life said:
I'm talking about level design, that place had some brilliant puzzles, a brilliant item, and brilliant fights. It was also lengthy and very labyrinthian. Yet it's not my favorite out of TP, not by a long shot.

That's why I said though, I appreciated the dungeon, although I'll play it with the TV off next time. ^^

BY2K

Membero Americo
It tells you something when you compare Darksiders, which has 5 dungeons and last 15 hours to Skyward Sword which, apparently, has 6 full dungeons and last more than twice that. Without doing sidequests.

Caelus

BY2K said:
It tells you something when you compare Darksiders, which has 5 dungeons and last 15 hours to Skyward Sword which, apparently, has 6 full dungeons and last more than twice that. Without doing sidequests.

Didn't they say Uncharted 3 was 8 hours or something? I find that weird.

ASIS

BY2K said:
Number of dungeons hasn't been confirmed yet

Yoshichan

Um... spoilers out of nowhere? What are we talking about here?

Yoshichan said:
Um... spoilers out of nowhere? What are we talking about here?
Probably nothing worth spoilering, just speculating on how much content Skyward Sword dungeons must have if the game's 6+ dungeons (we don't know the exact number) take at least 35 hours, not counting sidequests, and a game like Darksiders with 5 dungeons can be beaten in 15 hours.

Which just reminds me that Darksiders did not click with me at all. I didn't even earn a single achievement before I returned it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
WiiredShawn said:
Which just reminds me that Darksiders did not click with me at all. I didn't even earn a single achievement before I returned it.
You get the first achievement within the first 15 minutes, and the game gets good after you get to the first dungeon (about one hour later).

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know, looking back at the Twilight Princess rumours, that game was never really spoiled.

We knew Ganon was in but that was only because Aonuma or Miyamoto said it himself. I don't think those SS rumours are true, but a few of them could be just lucky guesses.

dvolovets

BY2K said:
You know, looking back at the Twilight Princess rumours, that game was never really spoiled.

We knew Ganon was in but that was only because Aonuma or Miyamoto said it himself. I don't think those SS rumours are true, but a few of them could be just lucky guesses.
Pretty sure there was a huge leak two weeks or so before the release date, with somebody posting gameplay footage/screens from relatively late in the game.

Kard8p3

dvolovets said:
Pretty sure there was a huge leak two weeks or so before the release date, with somebody posting gameplay footage/screens from relatively late in the game.

Yeah there was some random blog that got it for review and posted pics and impressions of most of the game. Since I was on the gamefaqs TP board at the time I got spoiled due to people posting spoilers in the topic titles.

Top Bottom