• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Kammie

Has anyone ever had any controller issues with this game on PC? I just started playing it on Steam and while the game recognized my controller, many of the buttons are mapped/recognized incorrectly. X is mapped as A, A is mapped as B, RT and LT function as the start and the back buttons. I've never had a problem like this in any other game with automatic 360 recognition and there doesn't seem to be a way to manually reassign each button. Any ideas?
I had problems where the game didn't detect the analog sticks, which I solve by not touching the mouse until the game loads up in my apartment. Does that maybe do anything?

You could also maybe try this 360 controller emulator:

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

I use it to mix and match Xbox/PS2 controllers, and it detects the Xbox one automatically. Just drop the file in the game's .exe directory and run it/let it detect the automatic settings. Maybe it'll make the game recognize it correctly.

SxP

Ran into a glitch just now. If I applied the handbrake and turned while going backwards it would send the car soaring trough the air. Eventually landed on a building somewhere. It got me thinking though, helicopters would've been pretty amazing in this game.

iNmb5LW98fUKw.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Helicopters would have ensured I only became 1/8th as annoyed as I was by the end of it.

Kammie

Ran into a glitch just now. If I applied the handbrake and turned while going backwards it would send the car soaring trough the air. Eventually landed on a building somewhere. It got me thinking though, helicopters would've been pretty amazing in this game.
Can you replicate that? That's awesome.

SxP

Can you replicate that? That's awesome.

I managed to do it twice in a row. First time I just landed on the ground again. But after I landed on the building and drove the car down I couldn't get it to launch the car again. I probably just hit something which made the physics spaz, much like the famous GTAIV car flying glitch.

PopInnovation

Neo Member

Amazing. Wish there was footage of it hahaha.

Realised you can swim "under" boats last night. The only catch is that the camera goes spastic.

BigAT

I had problems where the game didn't detect the analog sticks, which I solve by not touching the mouse until the game loads up in my apartment. Does that maybe do anything?

You could also maybe try this 360 controller emulator:

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

I use it to mix and match Xbox/PS2 controllers, and it detects the Xbox one automatically. Just drop the file in the game's .exe directory and run it/let it detect the automatic settings. Maybe it'll make the game recognize it correctly.

Thanks, this seemed to fix it for whatever reason.

SxP

It'd be nice if the patch fixed my random crashes. Some days I would have no luck and it would constantly crash, other days it was mostly fine.

Are there any good places for bike jumps? I like seeing Wei fly away like a throwing star after jumping off an airborne motorcycle.

I finished the game, and I think I think what everyone else thinks.
Ending was way too neat. Wei pretty much went over the edge on the last mission, killing Tong's assistants far more brutally than he had anyone else, then just running in and shooting up Lee's restaurant. Then he not only gets off scot-free, that scene with Pendrew is morally suspect at best. Some people criticize Mafia II for its abrupt ending, but it was appropriately dark considering how much trouble Vito and Joe caused. Sleeping Dogs has such a Hollywood ending that doesn't really fit with the whole game's theme.

Also, wish defeating Tong had been more satisfying than just twisting his arm and stabbing him with a counter attack.

mileS

Only game I had to turn off auto updates on steam. I'm honestly baffled at what exactly they are adding with these large patches...

Due the community a favor and at least provide patch notes on the same day we are downloading this shit.

Only game I had to turn off auto updates on steam. I'm honestly baffled at what exactly they are adding with these large patches...

Due the community a favor and at least provide patch notes on the same day we are downloading this shit.

Some of them were adding shit for whatever new DLC at the time (i.e shit that you might not even buy) along with fixes.

Not sure about this one.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Damn just started playing this game after a lackluster experience that was AC3. This game is amazing. I am able to run everything maxed out except anti-aliasing and it looks fantastic. Excited to delve deeper into it.

SxP

It'd be nice if the patch fixed my random crashes. Some days I would have no luck and it would constantly crash, other days it was mostly fine.

Sadly, it did not.

Still managed to finish to game though after a couple of reloads.

I though it was pretty amazing. The world itself is the best part of the game, vibrant and beautiful. Combat was OK, not on the level of Batman but still not bad. It was pretty tedious at the beginning of the game because you didn't have any powerful moves to quickly take someone out aside from enviro kill. But once you collected a couple of moves the combat started to get way faster and better.

I agree with Dice that they need to look at the competition regarding the open world gameplay. That didn't feel very well thought out at times.

I finished the game, and I think I think what everyone else thinks.
Ending was way too neat. Wei pretty much went over the edge on the last mission, killing Tong's assistants far more brutally than he had anyone else, then just running in and shooting up Lee's restaurant. Then he not only gets off scot-free, that scene with Pendrew is morally suspect at best. Some people criticize Mafia II for its abrupt ending, but it was appropriately dark considering how much trouble Vito and Joe caused. Sleeping Dogs has such a Hollywood ending that doesn't really fit with the whole game's theme.

Also, wish defeating Tong had been more satisfying than just twisting his arm and stabbing him with a counter attack.

The weirdest thing to me was how Wei was basically Superman. Tong goes to town with (among other things) a power drill on his legs and he passes out. Still, when you escape you only walk slowly for about 5 seconds before Wei is all fine and dandy. And then he gets hit point blank with a shotgun. Same thing, walk slowly for 5 seconds and Wei is all good. And to top it off he basically gets hit by an explosion. And then after you defeat Big Smile Lee, he doesn't even need an ambulance. He just sits there, perfectly fine.

The update implements some minor tweaks and adds support for future DLC.

More story DLC?

Sadly, it did not.

Still managed to finish to game though after a couple of reloads.

I though it was pretty amazing. The world itself is the best part of the game, vibrant and beautiful. Combat was OK, not on the level of Batman but still not bad. It was pretty tedious at the beginning of the game because you didn't have any powerful moves to quickly take someone out aside from enviro kill. But once you collected a couple of moves the combat started to get way faster and better.

I agree with Dice that they need to look at the competition regarding the open world gameplay. That didn't feel very well thought out at times.

The weirdest thing to me was how Wei was basically Superman. Tong goes to town with (among other things) a power drill on his legs and he passes out. Still, when you escape you only walk slowly for about 5 seconds before Wei is all fine and dandy. And then he gets hit point blank with a shotgun. Same thing, walk slowly for 5 seconds and Wei is all good. And to top it off he basically gets hit by an explosion. And then after you defeat Big Smile Lee, he doesn't even need an ambulance. He just sits there, perfectly fine.

Well at least that gels with the gameplay since he has done a lot of stuff prior to that.

hwalker84

I was thinking the same thing when that happened.
I thought when you escaped from Tong someone was going to save you. It made no sense that Wei just shook it off and was normal again within a few seconds.
I still loved the game though.

Just finished it..the game's design is beautiful, from the gorgeous city to the wonderful graphics, the combat is smart, hand to hand at first no guns, and even when you have a gun you rather bash someone's face, the design also makes you enjoy the gun battles, instead of getting bored with guns, also love the fact you can hijack vehicles....

PS the games leaves you wanting more..........
JACKKKIEEEE NOOOOOOOO

Don't fuck with Ms Chu....otherwise you become stew..

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
We’re running a worldwide Deal of the Week promotion on Microsoft Xbox Live Marketplace. This promotion includes $10/£10 off the full digital-download release of Sleeping Dogs, as well as 50% off the following DLC add-on packs:

• Dragon Master Pack - 320 MS Points
  • Nightmare in North Point Pack - 280 MS Points
  • SWAT Pack - 160 MS Points
  • Street Racer Pack - 160 MS Points

If you're interested in picking up SD's game-extending add-on mission DLC, this is probably a good time to do so.

Excko

We’re running a worldwide Deal of the Week promotion on Microsoft Xbox Live Marketplace. This promotion includes $10/£10 off the full digital-download release of Sleeping Dogs, as well as 50% off the following DLC add-on packs:

• Dragon Master Pack - 320 MS Points
  • Nightmare in North Point Pack - 280 MS Points
  • SWAT Pack - 160 MS Points
  • Street Racer Pack - 160 MS Points

If you're interested in picking up SD's game-extending add-on mission DLC, this is probably a good time to do so.

Any chances those deals will come to PSN as well?

JohnDonut

Banned
I bought this on steam and I thought zodiac was only truly worth $2 and ninp about $4. I don't know what that translates into Xbox points but Meh. 30 minutes and 2 hours respectively.

I was also bummed that the game takes your guns away at every opportunity making the gun suit dlc kind of useless.

nel e nel

So what is the verdict on the DLC (Nightmare/Zodiac)? I just got the game last week and was wondering if I should pick them up during the sale this week.

So what is the verdict on the DLC (Nightmare/Zodiac)? I just got the game last week and was wondering if I should pick them up during the sale this week.

If you enjoy the base game I would recommend them. But they are really short, Zodiac is less than an hour long and Nightmare is around an hour or two I would guess. I had fun with them anyway.

kitzkozan

If you enjoy the base game I would recommend them. But they are really short, Zodiac is less than an hour long and Nightmare is around an hour or two I would guess. I had fun with them anyway.

I would go for Nightmare first since it add an hour or two of content + achievements/trophies if you are into that. :] As a fan of the movie Enter the dragon, I want zodiac although I will wait for a discount (especially if it only add about half an hour of content).

What about the Dragon master pack, which seems to add a couple of extra clothes or vehicles? I wouldn't even think of buying it full price, but it's kinda interesting with the discount. I enjoy the base game that much, so wouldn't mind adding extra flavor to the package.

I would go for Nightmare first since it add an hour or two of content + achievements/trophies if you are into that. :] As a fan of the movie Enter the dragon, I want zodiac although I will wait for a discount (especially if it only add about half an hour of content).

What about the Dragon master pack, which seems to add a couple of extra clothes or vehicles? I wouldn't even think of buying it full price, but it's kinda interesting with the discount. I enjoy the base game that much, so wouldn't mind adding extra flavor to the package.

I guess it could be worth it at a low price, I got the martial arts, gsp and police protection pack when I bought the game and I have only played each mission once. The DLC that I got the most mileage from outside of the story DLC was the swat pack and the new races.

JohnDonut

Banned
The coolest suits are the square enix ones. They each come with their own guns, though I disliked it for previous stated reasons. Hitman has a silenced pistol and the cops hate you less, jensen has his assault rifle and 33% reduction on ranged damage, animation and all straight from the game, rico has his explosive pistol and increased highjack distance,

Gravijah

About 10 or so hours in, on the 2nd areas, so I guess I can give some views.

+Story is good
+Radio stations are great
+Combat is interesting, if shallow
-World is lifeless
-Feels kind of like they dropped the ball on Hong Kong
-Driving is pretty bad

Overall, I'd say it's good, but it isn't living up to its potential.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the Zodiac Tournament. I can see why people didn't like it, but once again I don't think many properly articulate why they disliked it, and instead resort to calling it "shit" or whatever. It's not "shit", it's short. And that's bad if you're looking for substance or something really new.

Zodiac Tournament follows a similar style to Nightmare at North Point: it uses the existing mechanics and formula in a self contained, remix world stylised as a satirical take on Chinese cinema. Nightmare at North Point was a homage to Chinese horror, and the Zodiac Tournament is a homage to c-grade Chinese martial arts films. Grungy, dirty, super cheesy, and like Nightmare at Northpoint more or less spot on in its subtle humour and satire of the genre.

But yes, it's short, and for anybody looking for substance and not happy with 'more of the same' then it's really not worth it. Thankfully I'm really keen on the core Sleeping Dogs mechanics, so as short as it was (literally finished in one short session) I still really enjoyed it. Like United Front Games' homages to Chinese film, so I enjoyed this like I enjoyed Nightmare at North Point. Would have definitely preferred it to last longer though, and I guess that's the one big negative I can chalk up against the DLC packs so far. Lots of bite sized "more Sleeping Dogs, different themes" packages, no big long expansion pack. But if that's not in the schedule, then I guess there's no point complaining about it.

I figure the Chinese New Year pack will arrive on February 10th. Hoping there's at least one more satirical themed pack, short as it will inevitably be, on the horizon.

Here's two shots I took.

h19ke2i.png

h28ncwq.png

People are saying the driving is bad, so what's actually wrong with it?.The driving aspect is a big part in open world games, can't stand crappy physics and such, but hopefully it's not too bad.

I was going to download this from Steam but decided not as I'm closing in on my dl limit so I got it off eBay.

Kammie

People are saying the driving is bad, so what's actually wrong with it?.The driving aspect is a big part in open world games, can't stand crappy physics and such, but hopefully it's not too bad.

I was going to download this from Steam but decided not as I'm closing in on my dl limit so I got it off eBay.
The physics suck. You'll crash into everything and just come to a stop, without causing any damage to your car or anyone else's. And even with an analog stick, it feels like you're using a d-pad, because the cars move in very fixed diagonal points. Tap left and the car will jerkily turn exactly 15 degrees or something, for example, instead of doing so smoothly.

That said, it's still playable. And I like swerving with the emergency brake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ooo I noticed that the game has updated with Chinese 2013 year of the snake banners over the city. Neat!

Top Bottom