• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Gravijah

Journey won? Gaming is dead. Sleeping Dogs was okay but incredibly overrated. It had major freshman sandbox problems that were really frustrating/disappointing after playing Saint's Row 3. I really need to get to playing The Walking Dead, which was gifted to me for Christmas.

Oh, tell us how you really feel, Dicey.

Man...is there any way to prevent the bug where the game freezes and corrupts your save file? I made decent progress yesterday and now I have to start all the way over.

I finished sleeping dogs a few days ago. Had alot of fun with it. One of the best open world games I played recently. Really liked the main character and the story. The things I didnt like were the camera felt a little weird and ending felt rushed. I thought they could have
left things with pendrew unsettled
until a sequel.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
I popped it in on PS3 and didn't see anything, is it only on PC or am I blind?

Sounds like it might be a PC only thing - I'm not seeing anything on PS3 either :( That would have been an awesome touch!

I thought they could have left things with pendrew unsettled
until a sequel.

I might just be strange but I'm kind of hoping there isn't a sequel - I feel like it'll kill such a good thing. I'd feel comfortable if they just left everything as is (but I'm open to some DLC).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I popped it in on PS3 and didn't see anything, is it only on PC or am I blind?

Must be only PC. Here's what I see.

sleepx0o8j.png

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
I can tell you with no exaggeration that everyone on the team is grinning from ear to ear about this right now!

We truly appreciate the phenomenal support the game has received from NeoGAF - it's been noticed by (pretty much) everyone who's worked on the game and has had a massively positive impact on us. We're all so grateful that the game really seems to have been taken to heart on these boards.

codhand

I can tell you with no exaggeration that everyone on the team is grinning from ear to ear about this right now!

We truly appreciate the phenomenal support the game has received from NeoGAF - it's been noticed by (pretty much) everyone who's worked on the game and has had a massively positive impact on us. We're all so grateful that the game really seems to have been taken to heart on these boards.

Cool man, I'm gonna pick this up based on Gaf praise. Did not expect to see it rank so highly. Congrats.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
all this NeoGAF hype + GoD sale made me cop the game.

excited to get started, but I was wondering if I should cop any of the DLC while it's also on sale right now:

Dragon Master pack
Nightmare in North Point Pack
The SWAT Pack
The Street Racer pack

all this NeoGAF hype + GoD sale made me cop the game.

excited to get started, but I was wondering if I should cop any of the DLC while it's also on sale right now:

Dragon Master pack
Nightmare in North Point Pack
The SWAT Pack
The Street Racer pack

Nightmare is the best of the bunch, swat and racer are tied for second place and then dragon pack for least important of the ones you listed. That's how I would rank them, but if you enjoy the game and want to extend your playtime then sure go ahead and get them.

Pakkidis

Just finished the game, loved the story, characters, presentation...easily the strongest point of the game. I would have like to have had one more missions where
you take down Pendrew, it seemed very rushed that he was in jail all of a sudden

It was a good game, no question about it, all the different systems melee,gun combat, driving etc work very well together and its a good package overall. However, I wouldn't necessarily put this in my GOTY list, as good as it was it also didn't do anything particular new or do anything that stands out. I'm not sure what it need to be put in the GOTY status for me but overall I really enjoyed the game.

pakkit

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game so far. Absolutely addicting, and it seems to have really learned from its peers (fast travel, well implemented phone, fun sandbox gameplay). My only two minor complaints so far (5 hours in) is that gunplay seems a little flat and I think variable difficulty levels really could have helped. The combat engine seems deep enough that it could have been scaled for a tougher challenge (e.g. Arkham City).

So you are part of the team that makes this game?

Let me say this, i was never going to buy sleeping dogs. However out of boredom i decided to give it a try one day cause i like sandbox games but my issue with most sandbox games is that alot of mechanics arent polished and are under developed in sacrifice for having alot of things to do. On top of that i never feel the need to "finish" most sandbox games aa the story doesnt stay appealing and i get sidetracked with my own meta games of trying to cause anarchy and staying alive.

This game has blown me away in the respects that it felt like the people who developed this game ACTUALLY plays sandbox games and said "hey....this concept is cumbersome and underdeveloped, lets simplify it and make it accessible" the way all the mechanics work and flow together make this game one of the best sandbox games i ever played primarily because of how all the mechanics make sense and feel good to use. Everytime a new mechanic was introduced, i couldnt help but think "this is ingenius!" And then i think back to trying to fly planes in san andreas......man have we come far in common fucking sense in a sandbox game. The game is just so accessible because of the great controls.

Then theres the story. Not a genius of a script but compelling to where i dont want to get sidetracked... I wanna know what happens next, where is this all leading too? Is wei falling too deep?

I hope the same team works on the next sleeping dogs because this game has really surprised me and i really appreciate the thoughtfulness with controlling the game and the attention to detail in that respect as it makes a world of difference in a sandbox game.

Fix the camera problems and its perfect.

Oh yea, cant forget.... Soundtrack is AMAZING!!!! Better than any of the GTA soundtracks for sure! Get the same people to pick the songs next time too lol

I just beat it and I gotta say...I can see why GAF loves this game so much. Truly deserves all the hype behind it, and if I had played it last year it definitely would have been my GOTY. That being said, I'm ready for a sequel.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Quick question, I'm still in the beginning and it seems the game is centered around melee combat, is that true?

It seems like the newer Batman and AC type combat. Stand around and wait to counter. This gets boring fast. Is melee most of the game, or does it become more of a gun game later?

Quick question, I'm still in the beginning and it seems the game is centered around melee combat, is that true?

It seems like the newer Batman and AC type combat. Stand around and wait to counter. This gets boring fast. Is melee most of the game, or does it become more of a gun game later?

of course its gonna be fucking boring if you just do that shit, play with the other moves man (get the melee upgrades when whenever you can)

you get easier access to guns later on since the enemies will also have guns available and its a pain trying to fight them with such a disadvantage.

Z_Y

Love this game! I bought it at launch and played a few hours in. Up to
the wedding.
Life then got in the way and this game joined many others in my backlog. The DLC sale got me motivated to jump back in and I seemed to have picked the story back up nicely after a few months away.

The story is great. The voice acting is great. The combat is soooo fulfilling. I much prefer hand-to-hand but the gunplay is top-notch too. (I've recently had a blast just stumbling upon some thugs hanging around a lockbox and just mowing them down. Nothing like bringing a gun to a fistfight.) The best thing I can say about the combat for those who haven't tried it yet is that it lets me do what I want to do without really any handholding. Sure the environment kills are made obvious but the first time I thought "hey...I'm going to bash this guy's head off this wall" and then did it intuitively was magical. Same for tossing a guy off a ledge. lol

I love the mission structures. I haven't had one of those "Oh man...I have to do this all over again?" moments. That's part because of good design and checkpointing but also because the missions are pretty damn fun and I don't mind to do them over when I fail.

Has anyone tried the new Supercar DLC? The description on XBL is intriguing.

Well it is gone now. I saw it this morning and just went back to buy and *poof*...not there anymore. I agree...it sounded amazing. I was going to get it instead of Zodiac until I finish off the main story.

GRAB THEM and proceed to launch them into anything nearby. You can pretty much attack nonstop in this game, depending on the enemy.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It's very distracting to see Wei Shen Motherfucker on Hawaii Five-0, as he plays a goof.

RoKKeR

Picked this game up for $5 during the ultra flash glitched sale on Steam a few weeks back but finally got around to playing it today.

WOW.

This game has so much intrigue and substance. The story so far is surprisingly good, and the world is absolutely incredible. That first moment when it lets you loose on your bike...it's something else. The city is so alive and vibrant, and is unlike any other open world game city I've seen before. The great gameplay can't be understated either, and the combat system is extremely well done.

I'm only about an hour into it, but I've had a really great time so far and am really impressed.

Just started playing this game for the first time tonight on PC. I went ahead and downloaded the 4 GB high resolution patch and let me say...this game looks INCREDIBLE. Absolutely stunning, and running silky smooth.

Time to dive back in, but very impressed with the polish so far. SE really does a stellar job on their PC ports.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

1) Yes, the guns open up later. When you have 10 guys with guns on your ass, melee just isn't a good idea. You will sometimes want to do an action takedown by sliding over something to hit somebody with a gun, but otherwise there is a distinct difference between fistfights and gunfights.

2) "Wait to counter" ...you should look into Batman combat more. When you unlock the moves it really becomes high-speed and filled to the brim with attack options. You can be really creative and varied with how you want to take down big mobs of guys. The challenge modes are extensive for a reason. Sleeping Dogs gets nowhere near that level of freedom in attacks or responsiveness in countering, and if you want high scores you do have to rely on counters, but if you just want to get through the fight it does give you some good options later on with sweeps, jumpkicks, grabs, hand weapons, and tackles.

Bumhead

Banned
Just finished this last night. Didn't do too much of the extra carricular stuff outside of a handful of street races and drug busts, so mostly worked on the story.

This is definitely the new bar for me in terms of these sort of City sandbox games, I think. It does a lot of things that for me far exceed the competition, particularly the combat and focus on an actual story. I've been wanting this sort of narrative focus from Grand Theft Auto for years, and Sleeping Dogs does it really well with some great characters and dialogue. From the first combat scene to the last I absolutely loved the meaty feel to the combat. The contextual environmental attacks got me every time (and some of them are really brutal) and I loved the crunch of some of the counters and finishing blows.

I also liked how the game seemed more set up around melee combat. It only dawned on me after a few hours that I hadn't used a gun in the game yet, and even when the game did introduce you to weapons they continued to feel like secondary up until the very latter stages of the game.

Really enjoyed the look and feel of the City. It looks absolutely glorious on PC, particularly the lighting and rain effects.

Certainly glad I played it. I managed to grab the game for £2.69 when it was mis-priced on Steam, but would have happily paid more if I knew I was going to enjoy it this much. I guess the reward is that I'll be buying any sequel to this one for full price as soon as it launches.

My backlog is dictating that I should probably move on now I've finished the main story arc, but is there much incentive to go back and tie up the side quests and favours etc, or carry on exploring? I have a number of games calling me either back to them or to start them, but I could quite easily stick with Sleeping Dogs if there's anything else worth seeing beyond the main story.

Kammie

This is definitely the new bar for me in terms of these sort of City sandbox games, I think. It does a lot of things that for me far exceed the competition, particularly the combat and focus on an actual story.
I'm just a few missions away from finishing the game, but I couldn't disagree more. The game is extremely limited in what it allows you to do, and it relies on PS2-era mechanics and limitations. And the whole environment is blocked off by fences, so it's not even all that exploratory, which is inexcusable considering that you're agile and able to jump around obstacles. Most of the time you're just driving from point A to B to get an item on your map, and you can't really wreak any havoc along the way (I haven't even managed to blow up my car by crashing it for ten minutes). The main things it has going for it, which I won't fault in the slightest, are the setting, the story, the characters, and the fighting, though it's still sluggish and not that great. I don't know how it ends yet, but if there's a sequel, maybe that one will have a chance to try to set a new bar. Objectively speaking, this one isn't doing almost anything new.

Just finished the game. Very awesome. The yellow and light blue missions are all I have left but I doubt I'll be going back for those. They just seem like a repetitive distraction to me.

I would give the game a solid 9/10. I hope for a sequel.

Kammie

Just finished the game. Very awesome. The yellow and light blue missions are all I have left but I doubt I'll be going back for those. They just seem like a repetitive distraction to me.
I like the yellow in that they're filled with humor. There's a funny series where you have to track a package through GPS as it goes through the sewers, and they basically just have you drive through heavily-transited pedestrian centers where you can run over everyone. lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yay, watching the credits. On mobile so can't type much, but it was alright, the plot was well told but it was a mostly average game, kinda glad to be done with it to be honest.

It is funny that my version of Wei was way more evil than anyone elae in the game. I would always just blast through hostages. Sandbox games tend to bring out my evil side.

Monkeythumbz

The yellow and light blue missions are all I have left but I doubt I'll be going back for those.
For light blue missions, do you mean the cop cases? IMHO they're def worth checking out, especially the last one, the one with the human trafficking.

Cystm

Got the Tourney and Nightmare DLC...

Fun, but quick romps through some chinese flick tropes. Zodiac being my favorite of the two, as I really dig the combat system for this game and loved the production values and overall style of the DLC.

I only wish they lasted longer.

75% off on the DLC. Nightmare in North Point sounds like the standout, but I'm kinda tired of zombies at this point.

Any of the others worth a look?

Monkeythumbz

75% off on the DLC. Nightmare in North Point sounds like the standout, but I'm kinda tired of zombies at this point.

Any of the others worth a look?

Please see this post here.

If you're looking for gameplay extending content, you might also want to check out the Dragon Master pack. You can find full details about all the game's DLC Packs on the offical website here.

MRORANGE

Monkeythumbz, SE mentioned that DLC sales will determine if we get a sequel or not. I'm guessing more DLC is coming out so the game is pretty much confirmed a sequel at some point?

Any surprises with what platform that has shipped the most copies?

Oh any chance of a GOTY edition?

I know you probably can't tell us, but it's worth a shot :)

Monkeythumbz

Monkeythumbz, SE mentioned that DLC sales will determine if we get a sequel or not. I'm guessing more DLC is coming out so the game is pretty much confirmed a sequel at some point?

Any surprises with what platform that has shipped the most copies?

Oh any chance of a GOTY edition?

I know you probably can't tell us, but it's worth a shot :)
You're right, I'm afraid I can't share anything at all about the above with you. Sorry!

Top Bottom