• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

pakkit

Banned
I finished the game on my first playthrough with 10 Face (easily), 9 Police and 9 Triad. Triad was easy to get for me, probably because I used environmental kills and bone breakers often. Bone breaking, which none of the other players found in my gamer log used, is an extremely valuable asset in the melee fighting, especially once you learn the follow up move.

I found the game to be polished and thought out, despite lacking in ambition. All of the mechanics were fun, and the environments were detailed and rewarded exploration. The story kind of fizzled out in the end, and the lack of challenge made me wish the game came with difficulty modes (especially since the combat and racing were mechanically solid). I'd give it a solid 8/10 if I had some magical rating system to go by. Great job overall. Now if Monkeythumbz could confirm Sleeping Dogs 2 that'd be great.

B-Dex

Alright. Finally I am a Hong Kong Legend! That took far longer than needed. But I pushed through despite the setbacks today and finally finished off all the trophies.

Alright, I just finished the story finally.

Why did I not do it earlier? What an amazing game. City feels alive, missions are always nice and varied (although would've liked a bit more creative freedom with the objectives at times), looks gorgeous and has one of the most satisfying combat systems around.

Seriously one of the best games this gen. Is the upcoming story DLC looking promising? Any rumours on more content from the franchise or furthering a narrative of some kind?

JustinBB7

Only need the 10 food (keep seeing the same food stands.. are there even 10 different ones?), the level 10 triad (Level 9 and a half, really hard to get for some reason) and the 30 gold medals achievement, that one is kinda annoying but I'll get there.

Can't wait for year of the snake, any more info on release or still nothing?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Only need the 10 food (keep seeing the same food stands.. are there even 10 different ones?), the level 10 triad (Level 9 and a half, really hard to get for some reason) and the 30 gold medals achievement, that one is kinda annoying but I'll get there.

Can't wait for year of the snake, any more info on release or still nothing?

Go to the night market for the food one, there are a bunch of different ones there.

JustinBB7

Just played the SWAT, Cop Jobs and Triad DLC packs, really really disappointing stuff. Only 1 mission with the swat pack that doesn't even uses voices, paid money for that? Really? The Cop Jobs is just the same 3 missions on repeat. It said 20 on the wiki so I thought I would just do the 20 to get it over with, but then they kept appearing again, then I read they just never end. Wow.

And then the Triad DLC with THE SAME MISSIONS as the cop one. And a horde mode that doesn't give you anything.

Pretty disappointing and waste of money. I have one achievement left and that's the level 10 triad, was hoping I would get it with the triad DLC pack but it only raised the xp bar like 1mm.

Really sucks because the main game is so good.

Yeah the smaller DLC packs are pretty iffy. I really like the larger two, Nightmare in North Point, and Zodiac Tournament, though. Had a blast beating guys up all over the place in Zodiac Tournament.

Yeah I know its extremely obvious, but Wei Shen is just a shitty cop. Murders way too many guys to keep his badge. I don't care how deep cover you are. None the less, still a great game.

EYEL1NER

I'd like to complete this game to 100% because I love it so much, but I have a ton of pesky races left.
I don't mind the driving or car physics too much (after all, I love the Saint's Row series and the driving in those games is something people often say is terrible). I just don't care for races in open-world/sandbox games, they've never been something that I have liked doing.

JustinBB7

I'd like to complete this game to 100% because I love it so much, but I have a ton of pesky races left.
I don't mind the driving or car physics too much (after all, I love the Saint's Row series and the driving in those games is something people often say is terrible). I just don't care for races in open-world/sandbox games, they've never been something that I have liked doing.

I hate racing in general, but the ones in Sleeping Dogs were alright. They're not very long so.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

you crazy, i love racing and i loved the racing in the game. i want more!

B-Dex

Why is this new dlc almost 2 GBs! 5 missions and a car doesn't seem like it should be that big.

Also weird sound bugs since getting wheels of fury. Turned my radio volume to 1 and even after turning it back up to 10 couldn't hear the radio until after all the missions were complete. No collectibles. I noticed no new stat awards and only 2 new stat games. Also the car only has 3 skins but that might be because the collectibles are missing and you can't unlock the rest?

Seems really odd this add-on is so buggy and/or not as advertised.

The car tho, is awesome....

JustinBB7

Why is this new dlc almost 2 GBs! 5 missions and a car doesn't seem like it should be that big.

Also weird sound bugs since getting wheels of fury. Turned my radio volume to 1 and even after turning it back up to 10 couldn't hear the radio until after all the missions were complete. No collectibles. I noticed no new stat awards and only 2 new stat games. Also the car only has 3 skins but that might be because the collectibles are missing and you can't unlock the rest?

Seems really odd this add-on is so buggy and/or not as advertised.

The car tho, is awesome....

What are the missions like? After the other small dlc missions I don't want to get this and waste my money again.

So I just picked up the game on PC. I played it quite a bit last year on Xbox.

So glad to see the game is getting plenty of DLC love. Thanks Monkeythumbz for the link to DLC help.

Monkeythumbz, this might be a question for you, but my current profile on SleepingDogs.Net is linked to my 360. Will it screw anything up if I link that profile to a Steam copy of the game?

Thanks.

Dead

well not really...yet
That new Supercar DLC is making me want to get back into the game, but holy shit, there is so much DLC out. New story, new side missions, new collectibles, new outfits and vehicles...I want it all, but all of it put together is like the price of a whole new game

After a slow start for me i really got to love this game, but now I am at a point to hate this game so much.

I am one trophy away from Platin and it's "Whatever's handy". This shit just won't unlock.

Does anyone have encountered this problem as well and can tell me what I did wrong? I used about 13-14 things and nothing :/

JustinBB7

After a slow start for me i really got to love this game, but now I am at a point to hate this game so much.

I am one trophy away from Platin and it's "Whatever's handy". This shit just won't unlock.

Does anyone have encountered this problem as well and can tell me what I did wrong? I used about 13-14 things and nothing :/

I read 1 person saying some achievements are bugged, I got all of them myself so I'm not sure. That's the melee weapon achievement right? Check the wiki for the list, you can use some stuff like briefcases and umbrellas as well, that's how I got it.

I read 1 person saying some achievements are bugged, I got all of them myself so I'm not sure. That's the melee weapon achievement right? Check the wiki for the list, you can use some stuff like briefcases and umbrellas as well, that's how I got it.

Yea some of the achievements seem to be bugged since i haven't got the solve one case achievement but yet i got the solve all cases achievement

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Monkeythumbz, this might be a question for you, but my current profile on SleepingDogs.Net is linked to my 360. Will it screw anything up if I link that profile to a Steam copy of the game?
I'm not sure... give it a shot and if it futzes up, drop me a PM and we'll fix to server-side for you.

Is The Year of The Snake available yet?
Next week. We'll be releasing info for it this week, currently scheduled for Weds and Fri.

Also, and this just an FYI rather than a hard sale, I've been receiving lots of feedback about Wheels Of Fury is the best DLC pack we've released so far, just sayin'...

Anteater

Beat this game a few days ago, it was pretty fun! Hope they make a sequel on next gen consoles. I kind of wish there were more story contents, beaten it in 15hrs for both triads and cops scenarios but I did quite a few sidequests and random stuff. I really do like the story missions, they did the whole hk triad films/john woo inspired action really well, while it's not completely realistic it reminds me of the 80/90s triad films so I thought it was pretty funny.

I hope the streets are more crowded for the next game, it's kind of empty and feels like there are too much copy and paste, I wouldn't really mind a smaller map if it means more unique areas, overall it's not so bad.

I'm not sure... give it a shot and if it futzes up, drop me a PM and we'll fix to server-side for you.

Thanks.

Also, and this just an FYI rather than a hard sale, I've been receiving lots of feedback about Wheels Of Fury is the best DLC pack we've released so far, just sayin'...

When does Wheels of Fury open up as a quest? I'm playing a new game and obviously quite early in the story. My google searches haven't found any answers.

I'm also very pleased with how my 2010 iMac is running the game. 3.2GHz Core i3, Radeon 5000 series w/ 512MB VRAM, 12GB RAM & I'm getting a solid 30fps at medium settings at 1080p. *thumbs up* It's a huge help to have a Benchmark mode to test out various settings.

Next week. We'll be releasing info for it this week, currently scheduled for Weds and Fri.

Nice, looking forward to it.

I thought that Wheels of Fury was a nice bit-sized piece of DLC but the worst thing about getting all the dlc in small bits is that use play them so quickly. I imagine that a possible GOTY-edition will be quite meaty if all the extra content is included. Overall I think my favorite this far have been the Zodiac Tournament even if it was a bit short.

I didn't have time to check out the stuff you unlock after you complete the quest line, just one mission where you're supposed to take out all the targets. Is all off them like that or is there any race?

Also I find it pretty amusing, as someone mentioned in the thread for the monkey king pack, that with the DLC the game has gone from being a pretty serious crime-story to a game with all this ridiculous stuff in it. Not that I'm complaining.

EDIT:
I hope the streets are more crowded for the next game, it's kind of empty and feels like there are too much copy and paste, I wouldn't really mind a smaller map if it means more unique areas, overall it's not so bad.

While I agree that it could've been more crowded even if it didn't bother me I actually think Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong is one of the best realized open worlds, there is a lot of cool places to see. I played Amazing Spider-Man right before I got to Sleeping Dogs and while the former have one of the worst open worlds I've seen the latter have one of the best.

Anteater

While I agree that it could've been more crowded even if it didn't bother me I actually think Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong is one of the best realized open worlds, there is a lot of cool places to see. I played Amazing Spider-Man right before I got to Sleeping Dogs and while the former have one of the worst open worlds I've seen the latter have one of the best.

I think I just didn't like the bigger streets in north point, I'm just nitpicking though, I like the alleyways but I think they could mask the reused assets a little better on the bigger streets, we see a lot of the same signs and stores, so it would be nice if they try to keep the same signs from appearing within the same block:

JsJy4L8.jpg

But I guess hk does have a lot of the same convenience stores, banks and real estate companies everywhere.

I'm sure they could easily add more variety in the next game since they already have all of these assets made. Overall I think they did a really great job with the locales, Central was probably my favorite.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
How would you like to own a Limited Edition Sleeping Dogs poster, signed by Tyler Stout and the game's Dev Team? How would you *also* like to contribute to a worthy cause at the same time? Well, now you can...

This June, four members of the Sleeping Dogs development team are participating in the BC Ride To Conquer Cancer, riding the 320km from Vancouver to Seattle over two days. If they can ship a critically acclaimed open world game, then a mammoth bike ride should be easy, right?

To help the UFG riders towards their fundraising goals, Square Enix London have donated a limited edition, high quality poster print of the stylish box art, signed by the artist, Tyler Stout.

(Currently the poster is only signed by Tyler Stout, but if you want the developers to sign the back or anywhere else, they'd be more than happy to.)

This is your chance to own a fantastic piece of Sleeping Dogs art, and do some good in the process! To get in with a chance, place a bid for it on eBay by following the link below.

Limited Edition Sleeping Dogs Poster, Signed By Tyler Stout and the SD Dev Team: All proceeds to BC Ride To Conquer Cancer

Pedrito

I finally managed to get 100% on a karaoke song. After getting 99% so many times (I'm on my third playthrough), I thought it was the max you could get.

Now I'm gonna go listen to All out of love.

Top Bottom