• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slightly Mad: "Wii U is more than capable of providing core Project CARS experience"

PetrCobra

I didn't know it had digital trigger input until I read this thread -- I thought the entire point of having triggers rather than shoulder buttons was for the purpose of offering analog input.

It's very reasonable to assume that Nintendo is competent enough to design a controller properly. Ultimately I guess they opted to save 30 cents on the production cost on that one.

Actually, I tend to believe that it was due to concerns of analog triggers being prone to breaking. Which is not a problem with replaceable/cheap-ish controllers but in the case of Gamepad it would be pretty costly for the customer. I think this could be one of the reasons anyway.

Actually, I tend to believe that it was due to concerns of analog triggers being prone to breaking. Which is not a problem with replaceable/cheap-ish controllers but in the case of Gamepad it would be pretty costly for the customer. I think this could be one of the reasons anyway.

Which is a complete rubbish reason as the only part of any controller I ever managed to break by normal usage were the shit ass Analog sticks on the 360 controller. Even my GC triggers all still work, even after thousands of hours of abuse, being thrown against the wall, stepped on, etc.

It was a cost saving measure that's all there was to it.

A joke that evidently you (still) aren't quick enough to get.

Dude you're seriously overestimating your wit.

July

Banned
I clearly do get it: You're a troll.

Now why should anyone pay any attention to your opinion on the subject?

I still don't think you do. Please don't dismiss everything you don't agree with as trolling.

To say something like X looks better than GoW3 or TLOU is mind boggling to me.

I still don't think you do. Please don't dismiss everything you don't agree with as trolling.

Yeah, because the "joke" that "3D World is the best looking last gen game" is so hard to get.

So clever.

The_Lump

Banned

It's subjective and you're stating it as fact. And it's way OT abd derails the thread...which is why it may come accross like trolling.

Visually
maybe Gow3 or TLOU looks better, But technically, an open world Jrpg with that graphics and seems have an online multiplayer, yes it's kind a leap over these corridor games ...

If you want to be serious and have an actual discussion, how about explaining why you disagree that X looks better instead of just typing a nothing response like 'LOL'?

tkscz

Did this thread really have to devolve into Wii U graphical arguments?

gCfYmxR.gif

I fear it might be eclipsed by Mario Kart 8 (even though both are very different, it's still the same genre). Sonic & ASRT had the advantage of being alone and iirc it sold well on the Wii U.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you want to be serious and have an actual discussion, how about explaining why you disagree that X looks better instead of just typing a nothing response like 'LOL'?
Let me: A game that isn't out yet is compared to for example a game that was released over 3.5 years ago.

What's there to compare? The launch trailer of GoW3 vs. a Nintendo Direct trailer for X? Two two second gifs?

Lebon14

Dear God, URGH...

I'll get this straight. According to 'Gamer Logic', Bayonetta 2 is 'stealing games' - It should be everywhere else BUT Nintendo consoles (despite Nintendo having expressed a healthy interest in that genre), because of you oh-so deprived high-end PC/prospective X4 console owners, and having a cross-platform game is 'stealing resources' - It's alright and perfectly acceptable for people to want to deprive Nintendo fans of the chance to play a cross-platform game which is possible on the system they own. Because, You Know, Wii U owners should have nothing, EVER... **Sigh and Roll Eyes**. What's most disheartening is that this mentality has a vile and fierce existence on here, and across sections of the gaming community and industry. You still get to play this CROSS-PLATFORM GAME; What does it matter to you where other people play it, and if they choose to play it on the Wii U, who are you to dictate, and HOW does their playing it there take away from YOUR OWN ENJOYMENT? One despairs.

Please know that you do not speak for 99.9% of anybody about anything. Secondly, if you are playing a different version of a non-exclusive, cross-platform game, you are nobody to tell other people which one they should and shouldn't play. For all you know, it could be that person's system of choice.

Still, there's a chance that people will want to play it on there - They can use the GamePad, or, if it's supported, the Wii Steering Wheel. On a social level, they might want to play and share their experiences on Miiverse. When placed on the spot, those are a number of reasons why one MIGHT choose that version over the others - Because some people prefer to think about different ways of playing and enjoying their games, or HOW they play, and don't care for terafapping over teraflops and tech specs.

The real piss-take here, is the stench of insecurity in that asinine post, and if the fact that it's holding its own against the other versions makes anybody enjoy it less, that's rather unfortunate, and I feel deeply sorry for those type of people (Well, I don't... I just think it's sad and extremely pathetic).

Oh, and I'll leave this Sensible Gaming interview with Project Cars here. They are asked about the Wii U version, and it appears to be shaping very well. If members on here haven't read it before, I hope it can give some better insights.

Thank you for saying this. Really. Too bad that the guy/girl is now banned. :(

On the topic at hand, I'm not a racing sim guy. However, I've seen screenshots from the WiiU version and it looks majestic. The WiiU is capable of very high-end graphics, if programmed and optimized correctly. Project Cars will show what the WiiU is capable of, I'm sure! Kudos to SM.

They really are apples and oranges.

They are in vastly different genres (open world JRPG vs. closed environment third person shooter), by different studios with completely different art directions.

...and lets not act like "X" is already in stores, it will have been a year longer in development since we have last seen it (assuming that we will get new "X" footage around E3 2014)

...the same for GoW 3 .

July

Banned

Visually
maybe Gow3 or TLOU looks better, But technically, an open world Jrpg with that graphics and seems have an online multiplayer, yes it's kind a leap over these corridor games ...

Nobody was talking about it from a technical standpoint.

Also very good points made about X not being out yet. Will probably look much worse on release.

tkscz

Also very good points made about X not being out yet. Will probably look much worse on release.

Wow that's reaching dude. Obvious troll is obvious though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This makes very little sense (and is also irrelevant)
By this logic GT, Forza, PCars are not racing sims.

Try to imagine you are in a 600hp automatic sports car on a racing start off line. Ready, steady, go. Now floor it all the way and see how far you get.

If you can successfully and smoothly get to the next corner and navigate around it then you are playing a arcade game. Not a racing simulator.

tkscz

Hardly reaching considering video games in general over the last while.

Which games? Only one I've seen do that is Uncharted 2. Hell, Both Super Mario 3D world and Donkey Tropical Freeze look better than their initial showing. SM3DW especially. You can also compare both of X's trailers and see a big difference from the first one to second one.

My only question is how are we supposed to play a racer with digital buttons?

The way we did before analog triggers?

wsippel

Banned

Nintendo isn't Sony and X isn't Killzone 2. The two teasers are not target renders, they're actual early ingame footage, and the second teaser already looked much improved compared to the first. The exact same thing happened with Xenoblade. If anything, the final game should look quite a bit better than even the second teaser.

Hardly reaching considering video games in general over the last while.

Somebody doesn't pay attention to how Nintendo works. The games always look worse when they are first shown off.
Now how about stopping this pointless argument? This isn't really the time or place for this.

July

Banned
Nintendo isn't Sony and X isn't Killzone 2. The two teasers are not target renders, they're actual early ingame footage, and the second teaser already looked much improved compared to the first. The exact same thing happened with Xenoblade. If anything, the final game should look quite a bit better than even the second teaser.

Watch dogs in game looked great too.

The_Lump

Banned
Try to imagine you are in a 600hp automatic sports car on a racing start off line. Ready, steady, go. Now floor it all the way and see how far you get.

If you can successfully and smoothly get to the next corner and navigate around it then you are playing a arcade game. Not a racing simulator.

I'm not arguing whether its realistic or not or whether it's vastly superior in simulating acceleration, I'm arguing that your defenition of what constitutes a simulator game is off (compared to the rest of the industry). I'm guessing you knew that which is why you only quoted half my post... ;)

The WiiU version will support analog inputs anyway (just not with the default controller) - which is why I said it's irrelevant.

Hello old friend,

Seriously though, some of you need to zip your flies a put the rulers away.

People being able to play this on the Wii U will in no way affect your enjoyment of the game on PC, PS4, or even Xbone. If it does, then you have some serious emotional problems you should probably sort out before attempting to communicate with others if you want to be taken even remotely seriously.

sörine;94661596 said:
We didn't have those first. Dreamcast predates PS2.

Didn't dreamcast have analog triggers? I never had one but I'm sure it did. Either way that misses my point. In a sim racer you can't just have I/O digital buttons for acceleration unless there is some kind if automation (Which defeats the purpose really). Otherwise you are just spinning wheels off the line.

That's literally what he just said.

If that's his meaning then it is irrelevant because the Wii u does not feature analog buttons in the pad.

Protip: You don't have to be so abrasive.

Ryuuga

Banned
Didn't dreamcast have analog triggers? I never had one but I'm sure it did. Either way that misses my point. In a sim racer you can't just have I/O digital buttons for acceleration unless there is some kind if automation (Which defeats the purpose really). Otherwise you are just spinning wheels off the line.

I guess if you plan on owning a Wii U you can see it as owning a piece of history in almost every regard.

wsippel

Banned
sörine;94661596 said:
We didn't have those first. Dreamcast predates PS2.
He might be thinking about the NeGcon, a third party PS1 pad with analog face buttons designed for Ridge Racer.

Pressure sensitive analog buttons...?
Either the analog sticks or digital buttons with interpolation. Interpolation means that, if you tap the button, the game doesn't recognize it as simple full throttle/ no throttle commands, but instead maps the tapping interval to an analog value. Let's say you press the button for 10ms, let go for 10ms, press for 10ms and let go again, the game interprets it as 50% continuously, not a 100% - 0% - 100% - 0% sequence.

The dev's have already said they're using the same system to control acceleration and braking on the Wii U version that they have on the PC version for keyboard support. no perfect, but here's hoping a proper racing wheel attachment for the Gamepad is released. Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind using the balance board. Rest your heels on the floor and your toes on the board, The harder your press on the board, the harder to press the gas pedal. All you'd really need to make it act like real pedals are a cheap plastic pedals with springs for resistance with would attach to the side of the board...

If that's his meaning then it is irrelevant because the Wii u does not feature analog buttons in the pad.

Protip: You don't have to be so abrasive.
The buttons on the N64 and PS1 were digital, that was the point. Dreamcast introduced analogue triggers, so to say that we will play the game like we did before analogue triggers means we will play it with digital buttons.

He might be thinking about the NeGcon, a third party PS1 pad with analog face buttons designed for Ridge Racer.

Either the analog sticks or digital buttons with interpolation. Interpolation means that, if you tap the button, the game doesn't recognize it as simple full throttle/ no throttle commands, but instead maps the tapping interval to an analog value. Let's say you press the button for 10ms, let go for 10ms, press for 10ms and let go again, the game interprets it as 50% continuously, not a 100% - 0% - 100% - 0% sequence.

I see. Thank you for explaining that instead of getting hostile off the bat. Not ideal, but it should work well enough for most people.

wsippel

Banned
I see. Thank you for explaining that instead of getting hostile off the bat. Not ideal, but it should work well enough for most people.
No, it's certainly not ideal, but after spending more than a thousand hours on the original Gran Turismo back in the day, I still often find myself using this technique even today.

patientx

The dev's have already said they're using the same system to control acceleration and braking on the Wii U version that they have on the PC version for keyboard support. no perfect, but here's hoping a proper racing wheel attachment for the Gamepad is released. Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind using the balance board. Rest your heels on the floor and your toes on the board, The harder your press on the board, the harder to press the gas pedal. All you'd really need to make it act like real pedals are a cheap plastic pedals with springs for resistance with would attach to the side of the board...

This +1. If they ever make it possible to play with balance board someone would make this "addon" for it i bet :)

Pressure sensitive analog buttons...?

The travel on the face buttons is so small it's difficult to get anything between full throttle/braking. Personally speaking, muscle memory in my fingers has been trained to put the same pressure (full press) since the NES days so it's difficult for me to readjust my fingers pressure. In the end I control throttle/braking by "tapping" the button.

When I play GT or even Forza with a controller I use the face buttons for gas/brake. I've played many arcade/simulation racers and it's hard for me to transition. When I want my "simulation" feel, I use my g27 anyway.

As for Project Cars on Wii U I'm happy that it's still a thing. I'll be there on day one.

prag16

Banned
Balance board "pedals" are a great idea. Just need somebody to make a peripheral to make it into actual "pedals". And maybe another peripheral to attach to the gamepad to allow stable gyro steering. Gyro steering is great, but feels off and floaty when the "wheel" isn't attached to anything.

FyreWulff

Debating if a control option supplies digital or analog gas and brake determining a game being a sim is a bit silly when racing wheels exist, which will always be better than a controller for racing games.

Would not be surprised to see PS4/Wii U cross-compatible wheels come out. Whenever something has been cross-plat like that it's usually Playstation/Nintendo. Microsoft likes to play weird games with peripheral makers...

edit: to be cross-plat on PS4 and Wii U you'd only need to be a bluetooth controller with some sort of switch to activate the things required to talk with each console respectively. Wii U mode would see it as a Wiimote addon, and the PS4 mode would be seeing it as a standard HID I believe.

Ninja Dom

This still hasn't been addressed yet.

So...apparently a Racing Simulator that supports digital buttons to accel/brake all of a sudden stops being a Racing Simulator???

Then as has been asked before, does an Arcade Game with analog accel/brake become a Racing Simulator?? Like all these Sega and Namco arcade machines I've been playing for years??

C'mon guys how the fuck did this thread end up discussing this almost trivial matter?? Really does sound like a bunch of haters who are mad that the game is coming to Wii U.

Chindogg

Debating if a control option supplies digital or analog gas and brake determining a game being a sim is a bit silly when racing wheels exist, which will always be better than a controller for racing games.

Would not be surprised to see PS4/Wii U cross-compatible wheels come out. Whenever something has been cross-plat like that it's usually Playstation/Nintendo. Microsoft likes to play weird games with peripheral makers...

edit: to be cross-plat on PS4 and Wii U you'd only need to be a bluetooth controller with some sort of switch to activate the things required to talk with each console respectively. Wii U mode would see it as a Wiimote addon, and the PS4 mode would be seeing it as a standard HID I believe.

Hell you could actually make a part attached to the balance board for gas/brakes.

joesiv

However, I've seen screenshots from the WiiU version and it looks majestic. The WiiU is capable of very high-end graphics, if programmed and optimized correctly. Project Cars will show what the WiiU is capable of, I'm sure! Kudos to SM.
Wait, there have been WiiU screenshots released? Please share, I must have missed them!

tkscz

Wait, there have been WiiU screenshots released? Please share, I must have missed them!

If he saw them on the project car's forum, then he wouldn't be permitted to post them here. Hell, there were people banned for showing programming logs (which have proof of the WiiU using DX11 level coding).

noal

Banned
I'm definitely getting this and look forward to see what the developer can get out of the Wii U and the gamepad.

Hopefully over Christmas I can get a bit more time with NFSMW U as I've hardly touched it so far.

Top Bottom